Camel by far!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TheHellion13/?chartstyle=greybox">

Posted By: ProgFan
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 14:01
Camel with no doubt, a very underrated bandUnhappy

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 14:06
wow.... have to get Renaissance on the board....

Camel to me was an interesting band... sort of middle of the road though... 

everything from the lyrics/songwriting...the bass.... the keys...to of course the singing Heart hahha.  No contest for me..

Renaissance all the way.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 15:07
I prefer Camel, is much better band, and have more great albums

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 15:11
Although Scheherezade is a stunning album, I can´t say no to Camel

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: proglil49
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by ProgFan ProgFan wrote:

Camel with no doubt, a very underrated bandUnhappy
Right, they are so underrated

-------------
I want to be an astronaut

Posted By: Prayermad
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 18:03
his one i didn't even have to think about it. Camel, easy choice. They rawk.

Posted By: Fight Club
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 19:07
Lol I'm gonna go with the majority here and say Camel.

-------------

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Although Scheherezade is a stunning album, I can´t say no to Camel

Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 19:46
Renaissance, but I love Camel as well... tough poll!

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 19:49
Renaissance, Camel is soooooooo overrated.

-------------

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 21:34
love both, but camel after rain dances were never the same. renaissance have 5 excelent/very good albums from prologue to a song for all seasons; camel has five ones too, from camel to raindances. very difficult choice, but today was not camel's day.
just love john tout and haslam is unbeattable - maybe only agnetha faltskog was up to her at those wonderful times.

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: March 25 2007 at 21:40
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 02:46
I can't see the problem. CAMEL. And once again: CAMEL.Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: Kill Fede
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 04:46
I had to admit that Camel was,is nowadays one of the symphonic group that i listened more,
But i prefere the album "Schezerade and other Stories",the Renaissance's masterpiece,for the
incredible epic called "song of schezerade",better than other camel's epics.Sorry camelists Big%20smile

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 04:49
Both did great albums, though Camel did some more great albums than Renaissance. But the reason why I vote for Camel is that I like them just a little bit more. But the bottomline is: both bands are fantastic.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 04:55
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

LOL I think it is a case of Renaissance being underrated more than Camel being overrated.  Those who like to rock will gravitate to Latimers great guitar playing.. but other than the 'rock' factor.. Renaissance aces Camel on all fronts.  Better instrumentalist..  better lyrics..  more daring (ie prog) compositions and styles.  Camel is a fine group..with some good albums  even a great classic album of prog (Snow Goose) Renaissance had two classics plus what has to be considered amoung THE greatest of all live prog albums.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 10:19
Draw.

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 10:25
Camel, easily!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 10:25
Yes, a tough choice indeed. A draw seems about fair. Camel suffer a little for me due to the lack of decent vocalist, whereas Renaissance have Annie. But then again, Camel have The Snow Goose.
Oh, I can't decide.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 10:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOL I think it is a case of Renaissance being underrated more than Camel being overrated.  Those who like to rock will gravitate to Latimers great guitar playing.. but other than the 'rock' factor.. Renaissance aces Camel on all fronts.  Better instrumentalist..  better lyrics..  more daring (ie prog) compositions and styles.  Camel is a fine group..with some good albums  even a great classic album of prog (Snow Goose) Renaissance had two classics plus what has to be considered amoung THE greatest of all live prog albums.

My problem with Renaissance is that too much was borrowed from composers that I consider greater than they. I really like the music, and very competent musicianship, but I don't think it terribly original or innovative.

Anyway, I vote for Camel based on Latimer's amazing vocal octave range.  Hehe.

No vote from me really.  I like both equally.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

My problem with Renaissance is that too much was borrowed from composers that I consider greater than they. I really like the music, and very competent musicianship, but I don't think it terribly original or innovative.

But thats the problem with Camel they borrow from everyone, they have no original ideas or any discernable innovation, Snowgoose to me sounds like a covers album, even parts of it I thought were original at one time turned out to be a blatant copy, I think Camel is a tribute band and not a prog band, they do brilliant covers but nothing original. To me Camel fits in with Triumverant and Staircastle, bands just imitating other bands.
Sorry Camel fans this is just what I feel Embarrassedplease don't take my opinion too personally.

-------------

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 20:01
Camel

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 26 2007 at 20:07
^ I had intended to mention how derivative Camel sounds.  I hadn't realised they'd lifted other people's work (as Renaissance did many times -- and to be fair, they incorporated other's themes very nicely.  Of course many Prog bands utilised "classical" compositions  -- I use the term "classical" more broadly than as a distinct period).  Parts of the Snow Goose did sound very familiar.  One of my favourite themes in Prog is from Focus in "Hamburger Concerto" but that wasn't original either.

I think it's fair to say that neither band is that original.  And though I question the assertion that Haslam has a five octave range as is stated on the band bio page (or at least I question the way the range is measured), I will concede that she has a stronger voice than Latimer.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 15:19

Hmmmmmmmm, tough question. I like both, each of the band has a unique  manner of playing . Renaissance has a stunning female voice and Camel has a smoothness that not many of their countrymans has. I voted for Renaissance.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 17:06
I can't pick a fave between these 2...love them both, and which one I would choose to listen to depends on my mood. 

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 19:30
Camel.
But they don't really have anything in common in my ears.
I also love Renaissance,

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 22:47
Camel, one of the few bands that flourished in the 70's that are still putting out quality albums.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 22:49
Camel.

Never got into Renaissance.

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: November 14 2007 at 23:19
Renaissance. Definitely them for me. I don't know, I find them more appealing than Camel.

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: November 15 2007 at 07:59
Camel for me no doubts about it. I like Renaissance but Camel are better and they are one of my favourite bands.

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: November 15 2007 at 08:17
Both great musicaly but with Camel I have problems with the vocals (never liked their vocals much)  so I went Renaissance who have no problems in this area

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk