Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36533
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 09:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial
Posted By: progismylife
Subject: Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 07:43
I recently discovered that I had the music to this (my grandfather is a big collector of vinyls and converts them to mp3s and sends me the music - and occasionally the vinyl but not so in this case)

So I was wondering, for those of you who have heard this, which song do you consider the best off this stellar album?

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 07:46
damn Ben.. I love this album... and can't really think of a fav hahahha.. good find by the way. Glad you love it...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: ProgFan
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 07:47

I have to go for Late November, but the whole album is beautiful.

Last year I saw them at Arrow Rock Festival, they really surprised me. David Surkamp still got his special voice, and he is a really good guitarplayerClap

It's sad that not much people know them.

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 07:54
LATE NOVEMBER for me,but all the album is pretty good!

p.s. i like to consider this album a jewel of "PROG-POP"......wrong decision?Confused

Wink

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 08:15
This is a great album, a hiiden gem!Thumbs%20Up

Yes, it's rock songs with prog arrangements, but who cares? that's just great music, full of freshness and energy. 

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 08:16
The mid-section of Song Dance makes that track my personal winner, but apart from that all tracks are equal.

Seamus: why prog-pop? This album rocks sufficiently progressive to be considered  100% worthy of putting it in Art Rock.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 08:23
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

The mid-section of Song Dance makes that track my personal winner, but apart from that all tracks are equal.

Seamus: why prog-pop? This album rocks sufficiently progressive to be considered  100% worthy of putting it in Art Rock.

i think you're right.......Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: lighthouse
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 12:52
I adore this CD ... I would love more than anything else prog at this point in time  that this CD be remastered   Heart

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 13:04
Utterly brilliant album, and great vocalist... I went for the beautiful "Late November". A classic that deserves much more credit than it usually gets!Clap

Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 13:05
Hmm I still haven't decided my favorite track. It is a tie between Song Dance, Late November, and Julia.

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 13:24

My favourite is Theme from Subway Sue.

Of Once and future kings, Late November and Julia are also great songs!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 13:31

When I joined this Forum, Pavlov's Dog wasn't yet in the database, gladly it was added and I had the chance to write the bio, I simply love this band, David Surkamp's voice is an acquired taste, but I got it.

My favorite song from Pampered Menial believe it or not is the cheesy Julia. Cavid makes a perfect interpretation oin the precious style of Edith Piaff with that beautiful and hard "vibrato" at the end of each phrase.

Love that song, beautiful is not necesarilly synonymous of complex, simple can be nice also.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 14:01
Been playing the vinyl a lot lately. Love every song. Chose Late November.

Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 14:46

Okay after much thought I'm going to have to say Song Dance because of the mid-section.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 17:11
Strange nobody mentions Preludin, normally people who don't like Surkamp's voice vote for this instumental.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: lighthouse
Date Posted: April 07 2007 at 21:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Strange nobody mentions Preludin, normally people who don't like Surkamp's voice vote for this instumental.

Iván
It was Preludin that first made me sit up and take notice , but second or third play of this CD David Surkamp's voice  then started to "grow" on me  Tongue

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 11:23
"Late November"

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 14:17
I have this one on vinyl and I don't really like it. It was a while since I heard it, but if I remember correctly, I liked Julia the most.

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 14:22
Preludin for me. But Julia and Song Dance are close...
..so are Late November and Of Once And Future Kings.

What an album, what a band!

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 14:25
Great Ben, i told you you would like it!
I almost can't choose a favourite, as i adore every single song on the album, even "fast gun" and "natchez trace". One of my favourite albums of all time. Think i'll choose Subway sue this time, though, the ending is just orgasmic.

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 17:41
I've cast "Late November", but still I cannot consider this album a masterpiece (check out my review for more details).
Bye

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 15:23
Julia, one of the best songs of all the prog era!!!
This is one of the few albums where i like all the songs, together with "The Division Bell", "Selling England By The Pound", "Octavarium"...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk