Sort reviews on the website by...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36594
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 09:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sort reviews on the website by...
Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Subject: Sort reviews on the website by...
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 15:06
As a follow-up to http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36592 - this message, I thought why not create a poll on the matter.

I would love to see the following changed on a collaborator's reviewer's page on the main website (for instance, here's http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - mine ): nowadays whenever one visits my profile page, the first review to appear is IQ - 7th house, because it has a high rating, but what I want readers to see is my most up-to-date review, mainly because my writing has advanced and my more recent works are just better than the old ones.

So what do others think? What should become the default sorting methode for the list of reviews?

- Chronological with the most recent one at the top of the list and the oldest one at the bottom?
- In alphabetical order?
- By rating... either 5*-1* or 1*-5*?

Bob/Easy Livin has said it's quite an easy change in the website's programming so just let us know what you think would be the best option...

Cheers,

- Tristan

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Replies:
Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 15:11
I think it should be shown in chronological order with the most recent at the top as the default setting, but obviously ive the choice to have it sorted by ratings and anything else that can be thought of. 

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:41
Is there the possibilty to make this topic a sticky? Seeing that most people only vote and not leave a reply. Just in case it might disappear of the frontpage of this subfora. We could have it run for the next # of days and then take a look at what the outcome is. What you say about this? Bob? Tony?

-------------

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:47
You do know that their are buttons near the top that allow you to change the sorting of reviews on a reviewer's page but only for By ratings, Alphabetical, Chronilogical

Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:52
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

You do know that their are buttons near the top that allow you to change the sorting of reviews on a reviewer's page but only for By ratings, Alphabetical, Chronilogical

Yeah I know.. but it's annoying to manually click it each time you check the page Wink

-------------

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by Tristan Mulders Tristan Mulders wrote:

Yeah I know.. but it's annoying to manually click it each time you check the page Wink

Stop being so lazy and deal with itWink

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 18:18
Chronological order seems like a good idea.

Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 18:22

Stop being so lazy and deal with itWink

As I usually say: He who does not seek ways to improve his comfort is lazy Wink

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:29
The thing is that if I'm trying to see if your reviews might help guide me as to new albums, chronological order means nothing. Apart from ego, I don't know that it matters much to me whether your writing has improved. 

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:35
Sorting by rating allows one to get a good picture of the reviewer's tastes at a quick glance.  If your favorite albums and his/her favorite albums have several albums in common, you can look into the albums the reviewer has given 4 or 5 stars, thus allowing you to expand your musical tastes. 

Chronological order doesn't really help for anything.  

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:37
Alphabetical. Easier to look after bands that interest you among the reviewers ratings.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 21:38
That's what the find function is for.  CTRL-F, type in the band/album you are looking for.  

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 22:36
In chronological order (newest top o/t list)

-------------

Posted By: OpethGuitarist
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 23:43
as it is now

-------------
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: April 08 2007 at 23:58
Chronological makes most sense, IMO.

It also shows the reviews re their ratings in a more balanced-seeming light. (Not just a load of five-star reviews at the outset.)

When I arrange my CDs in my bookcases (that's where I store them, as I have perhaps 1500), I arrange them alphabetically by artist, naturally, then in chronological order for within any one artist's discs.

I think it would be nice if folks could see, at a glance, if a reviewer has done a newer review since they last checked.Ermm

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 00:02
I like it the way it is now.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 01:02
Alphabetical

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 01:51
Alphabetical order is good in the cases of those reviewers with many reviews. For example, if I was to search for Rico's views on PF's "Animals" without knowing how many stars he gave it, searching for it in his review list would be a real burden, just like looking for it bellow the album entry. And he's not always around, to quench my curiosity by PM-ing him.

Chronological order is also good, especially for the reviewer themselves; it helps them have a general picture of the evolution of their writing. It also helps those of us who got more familiar to each other to understand our friends' tastes and the way they developed.

Right now we have one list drawn by combining the number of stars factor with the alphabetical factor. I would rather have a chronological list of reviews, separated in subgenres groups, but also the possibility to switch to the current viewing or to more other useful combinations (like, for example - just an idea, don't kill me Big%20smile - a "date of release" factor).

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 04:13
Keep 'em coming, the more views we get on this the better. A low total vote indicates complacency.

Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 07:34
Okay, this post will be a sticky for a week... So everyone keep voting please!
The more votes, the better the impression we get what everyone wants... Tongue

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 09:11
Well I too suffer from eraly crap reviews at the top... but at the same time I like the 5 stars review to be on top... but I guess it would be better cronologically... so there goes my vote

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 10:11
I like it the way it is now, to be honest. Although chronological order has its advantages, I find that sorting by ratings stacks up and looks nice Tongue.

But really, it's not a huge deal for me.

Posted By: LeInsomniac
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 11:18
In chronological order seems more simple I think. But I think the administrators already have a good way of sorting this out so.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LeInsomniac/?chartstyle=volta">
Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 12:34
6 [18.75%]
17 [53.13%]

We have three options: by ratings, chronological and alphabetical order. This can be widened in many ways:

1) by ratings:
    1a)by ratings, and similar star numbers reviews chronologically
    1b)by ratings, and similar star numbers reviews alphabetically
    1c)by ratings, and similar star numbers reviews chronologically - when an album was issued.  If reviewer rated 2 albums of Hatfield & the North, three by Iron Maiden, and twenty-two by Jethro Tull, I would really like to see that Tull's albums in chronological order - not starting with "A" or "A Little Light Music".

2) in chronological order (of writing a review)
    2a) oldest first
    2b) oldest last

3) alphabetically
    3a) alphabetically, and all albums of the band chronologically (see 1c)
    3b) alphabetically, and all albums of the band alphabetically
    3c) alphabetically, and all albums of the band by ratings within,

4) by popularity order (our algorithm)
    -it would be interesting to see how a reviewers opinion correlate with overall ratings

5) random
    - for fun, and for learning something new about a random artist/album

6) by country, damn!

If you are Spanish, and you want to see how some of your fellow countryman forum member rated the albums that you are both familiar with - regardless of alphabetising or rating.

7) all the possible combinations and permutations of aforementioned plus any other that you can imagineWacko

So much for the possibilities. But which one should be the default one? That is the question, right?

Here's the answer:

Settings / Member Control Panel Menu / Edit Profile!

Every member will be available to tick a little box with a corresponding option that suits him/her the most. After setting the parameter, all the reviews of all the reviewers will appear just as member wants. Problem solved!!!Approve

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 12:39
Thanks for taking such an in-dept look at it! I especially like that last bit of your post, but I'm not sure whether that's an easy thing to do... someone with more knowledge of this sort of thing has to enlighten me/us on that.

Keep the replies coming! Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 13:00
By rating, as it is now, because I think my first reviews under the name Barla are the least understandable. Also, the very very first reviews I made for this website were under the name Martín (my real name) and are like 10, but very crappy ones.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Barla/?chartstyle=LastfmMyspace">

Posted By: Desoc
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Here's the answer:

Settings / Member Control Panel Menu / Edit Profile!

Every member will be available to tick a little box with a corresponding option that suits him/her the most. After setting the parameter, all the reviews of all the reviewers will appear just as member wants. Problem solved!!!Approve

Yess! That was my initial thought as well - why bother anyone with a new standard setting, if everyone could be given the option to edit these standards as he or she sees fit. There we go. End of discussion.

Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: April 09 2007 at 18:02
I voted for the way it is now, but I think alphabetical order is pointless. If you really want to see if someone reviewed an album, you can just Ctrl + F.

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 01:12
Newest Posts First

-------------

Posted By: Rubidium
Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 01:43
When the reviews are listed by rating, would it be possible to change the order that the albums of the same rating are listed?  When I look at a list of somebody's reviews, I see all of the five star albums at the top, but the order of these five star albums seems completely random to me.  They aren't alphabetical or chronological.  Personally, I think it would look best if they were sorted alphabetically after they are sorted by ranking.  At least that way all of the five star Yes albums will be grouped together, etc.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 10 2007 at 10:46
I only use chronoligical (writing the review) when rewriting my reviews in my page. And  I like the newest on top, but we should have the option to reverse the chronological order: I've been rewriting a lot of my crappy early reviews, so it makes it sometimes difficult  searches for my amount of reviews. Bob, do you think we could have alphabetical ordering  in our personal pages, forupdating reviews???

Otherwise it's (chronological)  fairly useless IMHO, unless wantingto see what Bob's been reviewing lately (Madonna and New Kids On The Block)

Looking at other's rating, obviously alphabetical is the easiest to find it, and the chronological order that ensues fits me fine.

Using the By Ratings is useful in a firstappraisal of the reviewer, but alphabetical then chronoligal is theeasiest.

In other words, it's just fine as it is on the collab page, but our personal pages could be bettered

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 07:03
It's fine how it is.

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 05:45
Chronological order.

This is mine:

2%20stars ../Review.asp?id=118110 - DIK DIK, I - Dik Dik
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117958 - TRIP, THE - Time Of Change
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117856 - BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO - Capolinea
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117815 - GIGANTI, I - Grandi Successi
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117811 - BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO - Biglietto Per L'Inferno
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117751 - BALLETTO DI BRONZO, IL - Ys (original version)
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117745 - ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA (RDM), IL - La Bibbia
2%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117728 - SPIROSFERA - Umanamnesi
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117720 - BATTIATO, FRANCO - Il Vuoto
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117717 - WATCH, THE - Primitive
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117497 - CALLIOPE - La Terra dei Grandi Occhi
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117458 - BATTIATO, FRANCO - La Voce Del Padrone
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117451 - OSAGE TRIBE - Arrow Head
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117416 - PERIGEO - Genealogia
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117365 - MUCCHIO, IL - Il Mucchio
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117338 - LATTE E MIELE - Passio Secundum Mattheum
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117335 - DELIRIUM (ITA) - Delirium Live
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117311 - NEW TROLLS - I Nostri PIù Grandi Successi
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117309 - BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO - Buone Notizie
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117305 - NEW TROLLS - New Trolls '79
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117221 - CAPSICUM RED - Appunti Per Un Idea Fissa
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117204 - QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA - Quella Vecchia Locanda
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117203 - ORME, LE - Il Fiume
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117102 - FESTA MOBILE - Diario Di Viaggio Della Festa Mobile
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117066 - ORME, LE - I Successi
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117056 - EDGAR ALLAN POE - Generazioni (Storia di Sempre)
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117038 - ERRATA CORRIGE - Siegfried, il Drago e Altre Storie
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117030 - OPUS AVANTRA - Venetia Et Anima (by Donella Del Monaco & Paolo Troncon; Opus Avantra)
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116970 - DELIRIUM (ITA) - '71-'75
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116969 - IBIS - Sun Supreme
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116930 - NUOVA ERA - Il Passo Del Soldato
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116926 - DIK DIK, I - Collezione
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116898 - NOTABENE - Sei Lacrime d'Ambra
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116860 - DIK DIK, I - Carlotto & Cucciolo Già Dik Dik
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116627 - YES - Going for the One
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116626 - BLACK WIDOW - Sacrifice
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116451 - CRYSTALS - Crystals
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116449 - DALTON - Argitari
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116447 - DALTON - Riflessioni: Idea d'Infinito
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116445 - GIGANTI, I - Concerto Live Al Teatro Regio Di Parma - 1968
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116443 - ORME, LE - Ad Gloriam

and is it better than:

5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117751 - BALLETTO DI BRONZO, IL - Ys (original version)
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117811 - BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO - Biglietto Per L'Inferno
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117056 - EDGAR ALLAN POE - Generazioni (Storia di Sempre)
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116930 - NUOVA ERA - Il Passo Del Soldato
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117204 - QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA - Quella Vecchia Locanda
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117203 - ORME, LE - Il Fiume
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117416 - PERIGEO - Genealogia
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117102 - FESTA MOBILE - Diario Di Viaggio Della Festa Mobile
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116969 - IBIS - Sun Supreme
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117451 - OSAGE TRIBE - Arrow Head
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117030 - OPUS AVANTRA - Venetia Et Anima (by Donella Del Monaco & Paolo Troncon; Opus Avantra)
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116898 - NOTABENE - Sei Lacrime d'Ambra
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116447 - DALTON - Riflessioni: Idea d'Infinito
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116449 - DALTON - Argitari
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116451 - CRYSTALS - Crystals
5%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117717 - WATCH, THE - Primitive
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117720 - BATTIATO, FRANCO - Il Vuoto
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117335 - DELIRIUM (ITA) - Delirium Live
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116970 - DELIRIUM (ITA) - '71-'75
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117458 - BATTIATO, FRANCO - La Voce Del Padrone
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117958 - TRIP, THE - Time Of Change
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116860 - DIK DIK, I - Carlotto & Cucciolo Già Dik Dik
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117221 - CAPSICUM RED - Appunti Per Un Idea Fissa
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116626 - BLACK WIDOW - Sacrifice
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117365 - MUCCHIO, IL - Il Mucchio
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116627 - YES - Going for the One
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117745 - ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA (RDM), IL - La Bibbia
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117338 - LATTE E MIELE - Passio Secundum Mattheum
4%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116926 - DIK DIK, I - Collezione
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117815 - GIGANTI, I - Grandi Successi
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117497 - CALLIOPE - La Terra dei Grandi Occhi
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117856 - BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO - Capolinea
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117309 - BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO - Buone Notizie
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116443 - ORME, LE - Ad Gloriam
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117038 - ERRATA CORRIGE - Siegfried, il Drago e Altre Storie
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=116445 - GIGANTI, I - Concerto Live Al Teatro Regio Di Parma - 1968
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117311 - NEW TROLLS - I Nostri PIù Grandi Successi
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117305 - NEW TROLLS - New Trolls '79
3%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117066 - ORME, LE - I Successi
2%20stars ../Review.asp?id=118110 - DIK DIK, I - Dik Dik
2%20stars ../Review.asp?id=117728 - SPIROSFERA - Umanamnesi

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 07:24
As it is now is absoliuely fine, and it looks better.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: April 12 2007 at 18:43
Clarke2001, I would choose 1b.

Posted By: Baza
Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 07:07
I like this option:

3) alphabetically
    3a) alphabetically, and all albums of the band chronologically

Also, it would be nice if non-collaborators will be able to edit their reviews...

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: April 17 2007 at 07:34

....nowadays whenever one visits my profile page, the first review to appear is IQ - 7th house, because it has a high rating, but what I want readers to see is my most up-to-date review, mainly because my writing has advanced and my more recent works are just better than the old ones....

I see your point, yet I think you are taking this from the wrong angle. As a reviewer I understand that you focus on the quality of your newer reviews, nevetheless I voted alphabetical. The reason is simple: if (not when, because it's very infrequent) I visit a collaborators page, it's because I want to have his opinion on a band or record, not because I want to see what he reviewed most recently. I'm here for the reviews, not the reviewers. Still a good poll, because either way sorting by rating has no value from where I'm standing....

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Bupie
Date Posted: April 18 2007 at 03:19
I would go with Clarke2001 3a) proposal : the best way to get quickly to an album you want to have the reviewer's opinion on.

Posted By: jmcdaniel_ee
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 12:27
Just a question: why can't we sort the reviews on each album?  I also think it would be neat to have a voting system like on Amazon.com: "Was this review helpfull to you?  Yes or no." that way, you can sort by most popular reviews first.  Frankly, if I'd never heard Selling England By The Pound and wanted to read a few reviews--I'd be pretty overwhelmed.  At least I could see the most popular reviews first, instead of reading, "What can I say that hasn't already been said," etc.  I'm no veteran reviewer, but even if my reviewing quality was top notch, why would I review SEBTP or Floyd's DSotM or Yes's CttE?  Despite being a great review, it would never get read, because there are so many other reviews.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk