Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37115
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 22:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Least Favourite Genre
Posted By: Shakespeare
Subject: Least Favourite Genre
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:04
Most proggies have extremely high standards for music, especially outside of prog. I for one do. Here is a list of some of the musical genres I personally cannot stand (for the most part. There is always the odd exception).

Please note that I hate the term EMO. Loads of people give me crap for using that term, because official it is a dead genre, but that is the simplest term for them. I ho[e I don't upset anyone about that.

Replies:
Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:09
Can't vote, I dislike all of the above genres.

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:12
rap is the only music i can't take, i don't know why... techno stuffs are not my cup of tea either, but nothing worse than rap in my ear...

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

LOLClap

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:15
I don't know anything about techno or rap so I can't vote against them, so... modern rock it is.

Nickelback, Wolfmother, Mika, Britpop et al are positively embarassing and I hope the people who play in these bands are ashamed of themselves. ;P

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:18
I agree, except Nickleback has a rather good drummer, nowadays. Mr, what's his face, Adrian somethingrather.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:20
Techno / dance didn't make the world a better place.

Don't know how EMO sounds, BTW.

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:26
Emo was originally short for "Emotionally Charged Hardcore Punk", but nowadays it's simply short for "Emotional". It sounds like really chaotic, electric, fast-paced songs with lyrics that make girls feel bad for the guy in the video. The singing is prominent and full of moaning and whining. To me, it's bands that are trying to get the sympathy vote, by making very messy and uncreative songs. Emo purists will tell you that My Chemical Romance is not emo, but they are the most popular band in that end of the pool.

Somebody will get angry at me for saying that, probably. Smile

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:28
The term emo has also been perverted into being a fashion and a manner of acting. If a man wore eye-liner, tight, dark clothes, and black hair over his eyes, somebody would call him "emo", even though, technically, emo is simply a musical genre, not a style. It would be like calling somebody with a trucker hat "classic rock".

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:29
Hate all of those examples, but EMO makes me want to throw up (the most). 

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 09:55
I don't like Pop (American Idol Style) not because of its quality, but because in this genre a too much important role is played by marketing strategies rather than music.

-------------

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:32
Tough one between emo and pop punk there, but they both kiss my aXX.

The death of rock? Yup.

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:36
This is not a prog poll...Wink
Anyway, I hardly can stand anything from the mentioned, so I can't really decide.

Posted By: Ryth
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:39
The choice is an easy one, emo.

Also, Slipknot is NOT death metal. They are nu-metal.

-------------
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Ryth">

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:41
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

This is not a prog poll...Wink
Anyway, I hardly can stand anything from the mentioned, so I can't really decide.

Sure it is. It's a poll about the worst genre...in comparison to prog...Big%20smile

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Ryth Ryth wrote:

Also, Slipknot is NOT death metal. They are nu-metal.

True, but I didn't want to just say "Metal" because there are loads of great metal bands. And I didn't know there was such a term as Nu-Metal when making this thread.

Posted By: The Rock
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:50
They all stink!

-------------
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"

Posted By: R_DeNIRO
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:51
There are a lot of great Death Metal bands too. The right term is Nu-metal, really a crap kind of music.

-------------
We were always be much human than we whish to be.

Posted By: Zitro
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 11:29
how can you forget Raggaeton!?????

you heard one song, you heard them all. It always has the same beat and sounds worse than rap.

I think rap is better than american idol pop. Some more "underground" rap can have pretty good musical ideas/arrangements.

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 11:50
Death metal Lamb of God style (or whatever they're considered), I can't stand them....

Posted By: asimplemistake
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 11:58
I almost died last night when I had to go to some stupid "dance" where all they played was rap.  Luckily I brought ear plugs.

My vote goes to rap.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 12:47
3 letters: R a PEvil%20Smile

Posted By: KansasRushDream
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 13:37
Emo definitely. Head jarring chords for 3 minutes with whiny vocals about stupid junk is terrible. At least rap has cool synth leads sometimes and on top of that you just can't argue with the word "BALLIN!"

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 13:52
Wrong section.

I thought Slipknot were NuMetal or something like that... They're not Death anyway.

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 14:32
Technically, bands like At the Drive in (precursor band to The Mars Volta) and Modest Mouse are considered to be the better side of emo, and I have nothing against them. It is the mix between emo and pop-punk (My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, other bands that sound exactly like the above two without bringing anything original to the industry) that I really can't stand. Dead

I can't stand mainstream rap, but there's a lot of underground stuff that I really like. I'm listening to the collaboration between Faust and Dalek right now, it is probably the closest I've come to Progressive Rap yet.

I think pop-punk is a better description of that genre I hate the most.

Posted By: dralan
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 15:07
Im not a big fan of any of the above genres myself, but one thing I cant stomach is so-called "death metal" ( and I dont know if slipknot really falls in that catagory).  The real hardcore death-meatal Ive heard, consisting of pounding, mindless barrage of noise over which some posessed madman howls away about Satan, death,  destuction and armageddon and anything they can think of to be vulgar and insulting cannot be good for anybody. I see nothing positive that can come out of this music. 

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 15:10
Silence

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: the icon of sin
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 15:26
Slipknot are death metal now? These classifications...

Posted By: lightbulb_son
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 15:30
Slipknot = Death Metal???? LOL

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 15:53
I can't abide Emo. These kids need to cheer up.

-------------

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 16:27
Emo

-------------

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 16:31
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Silence

Silence is often better than music.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 16:36
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Emo was originally short for "Emotionally Charged Hardcore Punk", but nowadays it's simply short for "Emotional". It sounds like really chaotic, electric, fast-paced songs with lyrics that make girls feel bad for the guy in the video. The singing is prominent and full of moaning and whining. To me, it's bands that are trying to get the sympathy vote, by making very messy and uncreative songs. Emo purists will tell you that My Chemical Romance is not emo, but they are the most popular band in that end of the pool.

Somebody will get angry at me for saying that, probably. Smile

Thanks for the info, I heard the term "EMO" a lot, but never knew what kind of music it was. Now I have an idea.

Posted By: Unix
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 16:42
Emo for sure

-------------

Posted By: Electrick Gypsy
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 18:25
Rap. It's music stripped of everthing, but a beat and just plain awful.

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 18:46
Rap (50 Cent style)

Posted By: eriksalkeld
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 19:49
I voted for Rap because it's definitely the one i like the least in that list, but the one i really HATE is RAEGGETON, that's something very much like Rap but even WORSE!! can u imagine that?? oh yeah it's true.....even worse....

-------------
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 20:47
Pop punk... gangsta rap is pretty bad too.

However Slipknot have nothing to do with Death Metal, which is one of my favorite non prog genres. Slipknot is sh*tty nu metal along with the likes of Linkin Park etc.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Topographic
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 00:59
I put Rap (50 Cent Style) myself.  Some of the older and underground stuff isn't bad--it's not my favorite, but I can respect it more.  Of course, almost all of the genres up there are atrocious, though I actually do like some "Modern Rock". 

The reason why rap edged ahead was because I had the unfortunate experience of seeing Chingy live (it wasn't by choice)Dead.  Nothing but a bunch of guys yelling with a single-note G played on a cheesy synth for 3 minutes, cranked up so loud that it actually hurt not just my ears, but my entire body.

And I must applaud King Crimson for making horrible Censored fun of nu-metal (which is what Slipknot actually is) on "Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With".  Couldn't have put it better myself.Clap

-Topographic

-------------
Have you rearranged your liver to the solid mental grace today?

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 01:05
I thought Fall Out Boy was emo.

Posted By: Niki ( IO )
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 03:54
Honestly, for me is very difficult to choose among most of these...
But what is SADDER than "(American Idol style)" and more distant from ART ?

-------------
IO

Posted By: Kill Fede
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 05:05
Pop Dead

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 05:19
this thread was won by the wost sh*t On the intire world RAP!!!!!!

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 05:21
Originally posted by asimplemistake asimplemistake wrote:

I almost died last night when I had to go to some stupid "dance" where all they played was rap.  Luckily I brought ear plugs.My vote goes to rap.

that way I don't go to clubs anymore I can't stand club music and club goers( so Plastic and pothethic idiots) and specially Rap!!!!

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Posted By: Hatters
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 05:27
Please do not put Slipknot in Death Metal, they are crappy Nu-Metal. Death metal involves bands such as Dimmu Borgir, Emperor etc which most of you will still hate but are not as bad as Slipknot.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/SHatters/?chartstyle=basic10">

Posted By: Roskisdyykkari
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 08:01
Oh I hate all of them so much! LOL And "Slipknot=Death metal"? What a joke. As Hatters said, Slipknot is nu metal, and nu metal is crap! By the way...

Originally posted by Hatters Hatters wrote:

Please do not put Slipknot in Death Metal, they are crappy Nu-Metal. Death metal involves bands such as Dimmu Borgir, Emperor etc which most of you will still hate but are not as bad as Slipknot.

The bands you mentioned are actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal - BLACK METAL , whereas death metal is more like Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel etc.

-------------
And the sand-castle virtues are all swept away
in the tidal destruction the moral melee.

Posted By: master10734
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 08:40
Yea I'm kool with death metal.

The Genres I cant stand is nu metal, pop, most punk, dance, hip hop, & any of that other simpleton pop stuff.

Posted By: eckhart
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 09:18
What about country (Garth Brooks style)? That would have to rate as low as rap.

Posted By: FruMp
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 09:41
Slipknot!?, Death metal!?

A lot of metal heads wouldn't be caught dead calling them metal at all.

-------------

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 10:03

I agree, except Nickleback has a rather good drummer, nowadays. Mr, what's his face, Adrian somethingrather.

No they don't, it's pre programmed drums. And also, concerning Nickelback: http://www.thewebsh*te.net/nickelback.htm

As for the poll, I HATE RAP!!!!!!!! Otherwise, I can Tolerate the others. The closest genre I might have some level of respect for is the Pop thing, because damn, Christina Aguilera has a good voice, although, horribly misused.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 12:56
Originally posted by eckhart eckhart wrote:

What about country (Garth Brooks style)? That would have to rate as low as rap.

I may not care for his music much, but I rather like Garth Brooks.  I thought he pulled off his Chris Gaines persona rather well, and it did show some versatility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChrisGainsAlbum.PNG">

I vote for rap in many forms (subgenres): from Gangsta Rap to Emo Rap (the worst of both worlds Dead) to Booty Music to Crunk.

Now I like booty as much as the next buttaneer (and what guy with a  Spinal Tap avatar wouldn't enjoy "Big Bottom"?) but Booty Music (a subgenre of rap that relies on very heavy bass) is just terrible.  Has anyone heard the Monster Booty rap compilation?  Now be honest. Even the brilliantly titled song off it "Da Butt" fails to deliver (Das Booty rip-off!).

And then there's Crunk (deriving from chronic -- i.e high -- and drunk or from the words "crack" and "drunk")... Now this is a brand of rap that rappers call talentless, generic, derivative, repetitive, and rhythmically dull .  From wikipedia: "In the hip hop world, crunk rappers have been criticized for lacking lyrical content, creativity, and using essentially the same beats and styles. Rapper MC Lars satirized the genre in his song "Generic Crunk Rap," in which he commented on its decided unoriginality and consumeristic undertones. While agreeing that the subject of the lyrics are all more or less identical, others say that the music is specifically designed for the rowdy clubs in which this style thrives."

Crunk it up! "Ow we got the crunk, give up the crunk."

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: LeInsomniac
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 13:19
Yup, I for one cant stand the so called "EMO" style, i think that this "famous" style isn´t anything worth hearing.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LeInsomniac/?chartstyle=volta">
Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back

Posted By: sean
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 13:20
i dislike all of those genres, however i'd say pop is the worst one. i like some death metal (children of bodom, mercenary). i don't care for rap but some of the non commercial rap isn't as bad. at least even though i don't care for it some of them do it for love of music and not to make money.
i think country should be on there as well

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 13:28
As much as I hate rap, I'm going to have to vote for Pop/Punk, just because it's all I ever hear, and it's bloody awful.

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 15:38

Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

LOLClap

In fact to 99% hook the Prog (to 96% that Italian) and the Classic Metal pleases me for 1%!!! ShockedShockedClapClapBig%20smile

-------------

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: April 22 2007 at 15:47
Me being a musician, hate people that stop making the music they love to play to get a hit mainstream record, it just infuriates meCensored. Thats why I chose pop punk because eventually when they do get the hit song and get radio airplay, they wright the exact same stuff on theyre next album, not out of inspiration which is basically what prog is all about.

-------------

Posted By: FruMp
Date Posted: April 23 2007 at 11:26
Yeah Green day used to be a reasonably respectable alternative band back in the 90's then they died their hair black and are an emo kiddie's joke.

-------------

Posted By: endlessepic
Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 17:56
EMO...so sad, RAP actually has very few catchy things, everything EMO stands for is terrible.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 20:23
Rap is not music, but by far the worst choice. The only choice I can put up with is modern rock but gangsta rap...just no. Oh and for those who said it, I link Reggaeton with rap as being absoluetly awful.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: East of Lyra
Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 23:49
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

As much as I hate rap, I'm going to have to vote for Pop/Punk, just because it's all I ever hear, and it's bloody awful.
Yup, same.

Posted By: Prog-man
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 00:16

"ÑU" (NEW)  METAL...

-------------
Arriving somewhere but not here

Posted By: Sophocles
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 07:36
Rap and especially 50 cent style is by far the worst.

Posted By: TheLamb
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:20
It's actualy hard to say...
I must admit that some 'gangsta rap' people have some cool grooves... its not a hit but don't rule it out until youve heard the good stuff! what you hear on the radio isn't real rap.

Techno is cool too, theres some really cool sh*t... People do amazing things in techno, it's also a genre that's image is destroyed by it's commercial sides... Yes, the comercial stuff is sometimes sh*tty but........ There's some good techno out there!

Punk - well... I hate The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols... I just hate it... it's annoying music... it sucks... but some people define bands like "talking heads" as punk... so just for that I have to say that I don't hate it more than any musical genre... 

Pop-Punk and Emo stuff like Geenday and thost chemical people suck too but they ussualy record their music on multi million dollar gear, and they have great sound people, and great mixing people that make them sound really rockin' and stuff...

So I have to admit pop like american Idol is my least favorite genre of all....

Dead

-------------

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:38
Rap (50 Cent style) definitely. It's infuriating to see this crap all the time/everywhere, especially since there's actually some good Hip Hop out there, it's just not the stuff you see on the charts.

Just recently I found a contender for the worst song ever: MIMS'  "This Is Why I'm Hot", check out the eloquent lyrics:

This is why I'm Hot [2x]
This is why
[2x] Uh
This is why I'm Hot (Uh)
This is why I'm Hot
[2x] Whoo
This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm Hot

I'm hot cause I'm fly (fly)
You ain't cause you're not (Mims)
This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm hot
[2x]

Dead

-------------

Posted By: ita_prog_fan
Date Posted: April 26 2007 at 13:17
Rap ...definitely   Dead

Date Posted: April 27 2007 at 23:04
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This is why I'm Hot [2x]
This is why
[2x] Uh
This is why I'm Hot (Uh)
This is why I'm Hot
[2x] Whoo
This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm Hot

This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm hot
[2x]

Dead

Moving.

And sorry, I recognize that Slipknot is not "Death" Metal.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: April 28 2007 at 06:10
Why isn't Symphonic Power Metal included in the poll by the way?

Posted By: progressive
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:16
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Why isn't Symphonic Power Metal included in the poll by the way?

Yeah, I would choose that...
..but:
pop/punk of course

techno, rap, emo, modern - they'll go sometimes. Death metal is quite boring but nt so bad, or modern rock but i'm not sure what...

pop is quite weird thing, too...

but mostly I hate those glam pop punk rock who try to be modern and retro and popular

-------------

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:23
Emo! Absoultely nothing redeeming about it at all.

-------------

Posted By: yface1
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:26
OK, I'm going to have to be normal this time (for a change) and pick the one thats most popular right now - rap.

i mean, don't get me wrong, real rap isn't too bad. But the over-commerciallised crap that "rappers" like 50cent, g-unit, snoop dawg and all the rest of these wannabe's is just pure, plain, utter crap. and you can't make crap without the rap, so i'ma tap this post n take a nap...

but yeah, i can handle the rest of that stuff, sometimes. but pop-style-rap... ... ...   Thumbs%20Down

-------------
My entertainment dollar is burning in my pocket!

Posted By: progressive
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 18:38
but some popdoggystyle ( :) ) rap has nice rhythms...
though i was going to say that some rap and the fans are one of the biggest sh*ts in the world

-------------

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:07
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Just recently I found a contender for the worst song ever: MIMS'  "This Is Why I'm Hot", check out the eloquent lyrics:

This is why I'm Hot [2x]
This is why
[2x] Uh
This is why I'm Hot (Uh)
This is why I'm Hot
[2x] Whoo
This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm Hot

This is why
[2x]
This is why I'm hot
[2x]

Dead

Oh... Lord, that was awful... I was having a tough time deciding between the horrible genres until I was reminded of garbage like this

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 01:27
There's so much crap in the world today... too bad for it. I don't own a TV set... nor a radio... I'm safe. Evil%20Smile

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Hemispheres
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 09:47
i hate all those genres in that style so i cant decide probably 50 cent,but i have a huge hate for my chemical romance because unfortunately i had to do security for one of there concerts.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">

Posted By: PorcupineDreams
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 12:26

I don't like any of those genres, but the only genre I hate (as opposed to dislike) is rap. By the way, Slipknot is not death metal. It's nu metal crap. I actually like real death metal, at least the more melodic stuff. And I wouldn't say Weezer is a very good representation of modern rock. They're more power pop.

-------------
When Porcupine dream and another day unite, we shall awake to find the pain of salvation is but a grand illusion, which will render us comfortably numb and make us remember these scenes from a memory.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 13:24

I am with most in my dislike for most of the genres listed.  My vote was for rap.  But my least favorite genre is Country.  I actually liked some of the original early rap like Run D-M-C and Tone Loc.  I suppose enough over exposure and the beat sometimes works its way into the brain.  That and I think I might have heard that riff/beat somewhere else before..

-------------

Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 13:34
Rap...50 Cent style.

There is good rap however, that comments on political/social issues and on black stereotypes. But 50 Cent only fuels those stereotypes and spews garbage.

Posted By: Zitro
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 14:10
I'm voting for Emo. I was invited to a band that I thought had nice potential and i was slightly misled that it was gonna be some great classical-oriented rock with emphasis on keyboards.

No, band is a disaster in terms of enthusiasm and the guy who has the least talent is all pretending to be leader and wants us to sound like emo and pop/punk . That alone, made me send instantly a "goodbye" message.

I can't stand emo, it's just awful.

2nd worst place goes to american idol pop, it's so generic and so far from art, it's ridiculous.

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 15:38
Pop
Rap
Techno Electronic
Emo
American Idol Pop

I like some rap when they have those extremely lyrics with social content (well, I really like just the lyrics) but the 50 Cent style is something that I can't really take!

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 18:37
You know, every freaking day, my roommate plays some rap/r'n'b whatever really loud, so that I can hear the bass boom through the walls. Anyway, when I open the door, it's always something like "yeah, baby" "you so sweet" "shake dat azz baby" and it really makes you wonder, don't they really have anything else than ass-shaking in their lifes?

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 03:36
Originally posted by progressive progressive wrote:

i was going to say that some rap and the fans are one of the biggest sh*ts in the world

As opposed to Prog fans or any other genre for that matter?

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: May 29 2007 at 22:25
^ true. Progressive's statement is slightly ignorant, to say the least.
There are plenty of "sh*ts" no matter where you look.

-------------

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: May 30 2007 at 01:31
I just realized how pretentious this thread is... we're taking pretty much all popular music styles and discussing how inferior they are to the flawless genre of PROG LOL

Posted By: millsy2000
Date Posted: June 01 2007 at 09:18
it b good if i could vote more than once cause all but one genre is sh*t there

-------------

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: June 01 2007 at 09:20
Emo, Techno 6 Rap are equally as bad.
Pop and Pop/Rock isn't always so bad

Posted By: Novalis
Date Posted: June 03 2007 at 20:19
Rap has got to be the worst (in my opinion). It's barely music, more like cavemen boasting over repetitive drumbeats. Of course that is a generalization, but it is a valid one. In saying that, all of those genres are almost uniformly terrible in my opinion.

Who cares if this is pretentious, we can't change our opinion.

Posted By: melvins
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 13:13
I dont see why everyone hates rap so much, it requires a lot of talent to write a set of (decent) rap lyrics. And it's almost impossible to write great ones. Of course it's easy to put it down, if you base your opinion on what's on MTV or the radio, but if you look at seperate groups who arent famous (underground groups)  then you'll see really great, and creative lyricists and song writers.

-------------
Like stee moanin' ludlow

Posted By: Novalis
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 06:36
Originally posted by melvins melvins wrote:

I dont see why everyone hates rap so much, it requires a lot of talent to write a set of (decent) rap lyrics. And it's almost impossible to write great ones. Of course it's easy to put it down, if you base your opinion on what's on MTV or the radio, but if you look at seperate groups who arent famous (underground groups)  then you'll see really great, and creative lyricists and song writers.

Blame mainstream rappers for tarnishing their image.

Another thing about rap is, despite how good the lyrics supposedly are, is it really music?
Isn't it more rhythmically talking over a computer generated beat/sample of someone else's song?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk