URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37591
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 10:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Le Orme Vs ELP
Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Subject: Le Orme Vs ELP
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 15:28
Who preferred and why?

I prefer Le Orme because little self indulgent than ELP!!!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:07
Beauty over bombastic.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: RaphaelT
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:16
Le Orme - keyboards virtuosity slighly weaker than Keith, but the mellow beauty of guitars and Italian vocals makes it more interesting than slightly dull ELP

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:18
Le Orme were often ponderous, when they should have concentrated more on progressing the melody, my vote goes to ELP for superior skillz and song writingz (and Carl Palmer is the man)

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 16:37
Well, three polls comparing Italian giants with British classics - Am I observing a thread here? Mandrakeroot, what makes you feel such patriotic mood?  Milan won with Manchester on Wednesday, and the Rome Founding Day was two weeks ago?

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 17:05
Mandrakeroot: Le Orme = ELP + emotion + some extra's Wink

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 17:10
Love them both, but prefer Le Orme a bit: a more subtle ELP.

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 17:21
Le Orme: they really know what a song is

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 19:32
damnit.... the only thing worst would have been Osanna v. ELP.

ELP... but it hurts to vote against Le Orme LOL  Emerson, Lake, and Palmer... it simply doesn't get much better than that.  THE ultimate prog trio...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Beauty over bombastic.

Thumbs%20Up Clap

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 01:25
There are three E.L.P albums that I absolutely love, but I play Le Orme much more.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 03:46
Cool! Le Orme's in the lead. 

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:16
I love Le Orme, but any comparison with ELP is IMO rather ridiculous.

ELP - better vocalist, keyboard player, drummer; better music ideas etc.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:21
Originally posted by MattiR MattiR wrote:

ELP - better vocalist, keyboard player, drummer

That might be true, but it just doesn't help.

I prefer all three in Le Orme, and I defenatly  think Michi Dei Rossi is the better drummer. If good taste, and great melodic flow counts for something. 

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 04:31
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by MattiR MattiR wrote:

ELP - better vocalist, keyboard player, drummer

That might be true, but it just doesn't help.

I prefer all three in Le Orme, and I defenatly  think Michi Dei Rossi is the better drummer. If good taste, and great melodic flow counts for something. 

OK, I find Italian Symphonic Prog very, very interesting, I love Le Orme, but I'm not going to change my above mentioned opinion, which refers to music skillsWink

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 14:13
ELP

Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 15:43
There is no doubt Keith is virtuoso when it comes to hammering the Hammond but his limitation to piano and organ, missing melotron, synthesizers and acoustic instruments makes him somewhat one - eyed.

And the rule that in the kingdom of blinded one - eyed is the king does not apply to Le Orme who can use their both eyes. And really you don't need to be a virtuoso and show off to deliver interesting tunes and clever compositions.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 15:47
That's an easy one. ELP can't compare to Le Orme!  Mostly because I've only heard one or two ELP tunes vs the entire Le Orme collection.Big%20smile

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Kurpij
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 19:47
Emerson Lake and Palmer: Beauty and Perfection

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: May 05 2007 at 20:54
Concur surely I must have done with the Mandrakeroot!

(Le Orme)

-------------

Posted By: ozzy_tom
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 07:34
There are much more ELP's albums than Le Orme's albums which I love. And in fact Le Orme is just a derivate band bacause Emerson started such kind of music.

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 08:20
ELP are the best band in the world. So I voted for them.

Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

There is no doubt Keith is virtuoso when it comes to hammering the Hammond but his limitation to piano and organ, missing melotron, synthesizers and acoustic instruments makes him somewhat one - eyed.

I don't understand this, Emerson pwns the synth! And isn't piano acoustic?Confused

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by ozzy_tom ozzy_tom wrote:

There are much more ELP's albums than Le Orme's albums which I love. And in fact Le Orme is just a derivate band bacause Emerson started such kind of music.

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and what pray tell is Le Orme derivative of????  Don't try to tell me ELP...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 09:49
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

ELP are the best band in the world. So I voted for them.

Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

I don't understand this, Emerson pwns the synth! And isn't piano acoustic?Confused
True, but Keith is not such synthesizer-colourist as Rick Wakeman, more monochromatic - perhaps I am myself one-eyed not to notice the richness of Keith's palette - and if you consider piano as acoustic instrument, listen to the way Peter Hammill treats this instrument - sheer brutality

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]
HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   and what pray tell is Le Orme derivative of????  Don't try to tell me ELP...

micky, please tell us who was real inspiration for Le Orme if not ELP. LOL

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]

come on... inspiration to a point..  but they sound little alike and to say Le Orme is derivative is assine.LOL  Only in how they approached prog, as a 3 piece with keys being prominent. Michi is no Palmer clone, hell none of them are.  I sense or hear none of the shear bombasity, or pretention in their music.  Nor ELP's penchant for alternating between heavy aggressive tracks with lighter... throwaway  if you will.... tracks.

-------------

Posted By: Minimalist777
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 11:54
Le Orme, though definetly influenced by ELP, takes away some of the pretention making them my preference.

-------------
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:19

[QUOTE=ozzy_tom]

come on... inspiration to a point..  but they sound little alike and to say Le Orme is derivative is assine.LOL  Only in how they approached prog, as a 3 piece with keys being prominent. Michi is no Palmer clone, hell none of them are.  I sense or hear none of the shear bombasity, or pretention in their music.  Nor ELP's penchant for alternating between heavy aggressive tracks with lighter... throwaway  if you will.... tracks.
I don't want to be misunderstood - I love Le Orme and listen, at least now, to their music more often than ELP.
But I think you agree, if ELP never existed Le Orme's sound of the 70's was different.
"Ad Gloriam" and early singles (except for "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Concerto N.3" (Bach)) have a little common with their classic albums, from "Collage" to "Contrappunti", where ELP influences are obvious.
ELP showed them the direction. Though Le Orme were enough talented to be more than ELP followers and created lots of original music. 

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 12:58

Though Le Orme were enough talented to be more than ELP followers and created lots of original music. 

exactly.. that is why I don't consider them derivative. There is the basic difference that ELP at heart was an agressive.. and let's say it..  an indulgent group.  Le Orme was exactly the opposite.  Music  of beauty..not fury.. and not fighting over the time alloted for each members solo spots LOL

ELP influenced damn near every prog band. Especially any with a significant keyboard sound. Some like Le Orme took it and ran with it... others like the 'Rat'..  just were ELP clones hahhaha and were derivative.

-------------

Posted By: Negru Voda
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 14:15
Le Orme because they don't have an Emerson for an egomaniac. No 10000000000 km/minute keyboard solos, thanks.

Le Orme could actually write music.

Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Negru Voda Negru Voda wrote:

Le Orme because they don't have an Emerson for an egomaniac. No 10000000000 km/minute keyboard solos, thanks.

Le Orme could actually write music.

while I love the sentiment....  lets not diss ELP here..  ELP could write some fantastic music.  It was different from Le Orme... different cultures, diifferent 'scenes', different audiences, different  personalities.. everything.

-------------

Posted By: Negru Voda
Date Posted: May 06 2007 at 15:15
I know, I know, you're right. It's that sometimes it feels as if Keith makes the music just for the sake of showing off his (undisputable) playing talent. :shrug:

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:49
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

That's an easy one. ELP can't compare to Le Orme!  Mostly because I've only heard one or two ELP tunes vs the entire Le Orme collection.Big%20smile

I can now compare. I have been listening  to ELP & come to the same conclusion (see above)Big%20smile

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:36
Well, maybe we are just disappointed and bitter that ELP since Brain Salad Surgery has not made albums of such striking beauty, innovation, instead proposing never-ending tours with Keith repeating old tricks and performances with Greg growing fatter and fatter and the wheel of reunions and split-ups, albums made for cash and so on whilst Le Orme has been normal, working band, which from the greatest italian band of the 70s most successfully stood the trial of time

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:43
Le Orme, because i simple like them more, and i listen to them more than ELP....

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 17:25

a real fact  Le Orme was influenced in the 70's by ELP and Genesis, but because Elp stop making good record many moons ago I will go for Le Orme

the last 2 albums are brilliants and breath taking. on the ohter hand of ELP I don't know  what that hell they doing!!! and Greg can't sings as beautiful as he used to which forced to stop listening to elp in the 90's.

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Posted By: YesGoblin
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:31
they are too different types of bands so to compare them is kind of difficult

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 18:48

Le Orme ahead of the mighty ELP? I'm quite surprised by this...

I added another one for Le Orme, they win easily for me...even as much as I like ELP, they couldn't write songs the way Taglapietra & Pagliuca could, and they're ballads were always so much more sincere.  I strongly disagree that ELP were the main inspiration - the melodies are too "easy" and welcoming, more in a PFM/Genesis vein...it's just that there's no e guitar; Le Orme also tended to be a bit spacey at times, you can hear holdovers from the psychadelic era (especially on the second side of Uomo di Pezza).

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

Le Orme ahead of the mighty ELP? I'm quite surprised by this...

I added another one for Le Orme, they win easily for me...even as much as I like ELP, they couldn't write songs the way Taglapietra & Pagliuca could, and they're ballads were always so much more sincere.  I strongly disagree that ELP were the main inspiration - the melodies are too "easy" and welcoming, more in a PFM/Genesis vein...it's just that there's no e guitar; Le Orme also tended to be a bit spacey at times, you can hear holdovers from the psychadelic era (especially on the second side of Uomo di Pezza).

hahhaha.. oh I'm not surprised...  if Benny the Bouncer was in Italian....LOL

people just don't dig the ELP, even here of all places....  maybe an ELP vs Jacko poll might be a good one hahah.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 22:26
haha, Jacko still might give 'em a run...maybe ELP vs. Dream Theater, I'm sure we'd have some casualties along the way.Nuke

The point about language is interesting though - for example, I'd probably like Still, You Turn Me On better if it was in Italian...with Le Orme I don't have to stomach atrocities like the infamous "get me a ladder..." line or anything about computers and armadillos taking over the planet.  As for Le Orme, I can be pretty sure the words were better matched to the quality music: I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 23:43
Le Orme.  While their most clasic albums were ELP influenced, their sound was so much warmer even then, and they had much better more original melodies.  They also shifted styles a number of times while maintaining high quality, and soon sounded very little like ELP

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 00:49
*facepalm*

*points to avatar*

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 03:15
Le Orme.  I can enjoy Le Orme albums from start to finish.  I can't think of an ELP album that doesn't have some bumps in the road.

Posted By: profanatio
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 03:49
500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. It all comes down to songwriting. ELP were superiour songwriters and no one could touch them as far as virtuosity goes. Love em or hate em there is no denying that Keith Emerson is the consumate prog rock keyboard player. The second best is a FAR second best to him due to his overwhelming vesatility. Rock, jazz, classical, ragtime, boogie woogie... the guy can do it all and single handedly forged the way for generations of keyboard players in a way that no one else ever came close to. Yes he is generally known as bombastic but lets not forget that he has written some incredibly subtle and beautiful music as well.

-------------
Mike

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:17
ELP

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:45
Originally posted by profanatio profanatio wrote:

500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. 

Honestly: until the 1920s nobody knew who Antonio Vivaldi was and Benedetto Marcello was the real Venetian classical music star; then somebody rediscovered the Four Seasons and nowadays the situation is totally different. The same thing happened in the XIX century with Bach: most people used to think that the real important Bach was Carl Philipp Emanuel, then Mendelssohn Bartholdy came and discovered who the real genius was... Maybe the comparison is a little pretentious, but it gives you the idea of how tables may turn...

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:47

I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.

Yes, they used to have great lyrics... surprisingly the keyboard man, Toni Pagliuca, was the lyricist!

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 17:43
ELP because they made good music

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 21:00
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...

and what did  Le Orme make? 

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 23:00
Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

I've seen several translations and our Italian friends reassure me that Aldo was one of the best lyricists on the scene back in the day.

Yes, they used to have great lyrics... surprisingly the keyboard man, Toni Pagliuca, was the lyricist!
woa really?Embarrassed....Aldo sings them so well, I must have assumed that he wrote them, thanks for correcting meSmile

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 23:01

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...

and what did  Le Orme make?  umm...better music? yea, that's it.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 14 2007 at 02:05

500 years from now if we still exist and there are CD stores to buy music at, ELP will be on the shelves but I doubt if Le Orme will. It all comes down to songwriting. ELP were superiour songwriters and no one could touch them as far as virtuosity goes. Love em or hate em there is no denying that Keith Emerson is the consumate prog rock keyboard player. The second best is a FAR second best to him due to his overwhelming vesatility. Rock, jazz, classical, ragtime, boogie woogie... the guy can do it all and single handedly forged the way for generations of keyboard players in a way that no one else ever came close to. Yes he is generally known as bombastic but lets not forget that he has written some incredibly subtle and beautiful music as well.

500 years from now, when you plug your brain into the Worldnet and google "Music that could have saved our civilization"  you will have a decent selection of Le Orme albums available to you.   ELP will be represented by Brain Salad Surgery and a box set.  The entire Yes discography will be also be available (although Open Your Eyes will not have been accessed for at least 50 years.)

When you google "music that destroyed our civilization,"  you will get back text bios of Brittany Spears and Kayne West.

Date Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:15

and what did  Le Orme make?  umm...better music? yea, that's it.

much as I love ELP...  they were wildly inconsistent... ELP at their best... sh*t... there wasn't another contemporary band that could match them... at their worst...  you'd be grabbing for the latest Bab's release.

Orme was much more consistant.. never hitting the lows ELP did.  but never the heights ELP did.  Not surprised they are ahead... even with the venom ELP tends to inspire.

-------------

Posted By: profanatio
Date Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:30
Would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of people (Not all!) voting for Le Orme are under the age of 30 while most (not all) of those voting for ELP are over 30?

-------------
Mike

Date Posted: December 14 2007 at 23:35

Would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of people (Not all!) voting for Le Orme are under the age of 30 while most (not all) of those voting for ELP are over 30?

probably.....  I know there are lots of blue haired ELP haters here LOL  Age determines nothing there hahah

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: December 15 2007 at 04:39
Well, I got to know Le Orme before ELP, since (as I said in another thread) Italian prog got a lot of exposure on Italian radio in the early Seventies. However, as good as Le Orme were, and still are (we saw them live last spring, and they smoked!), ELP are simply one of my favourite bands. As Micky said, when they were good, they were nothing short of phenomenal.

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: December 15 2007 at 11:03
ELP, no doubt, pure energy

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 15 2007 at 17:23

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good. Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that, they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le Orme don't make good music.

Date Posted: December 15 2007 at 22:36

not that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good. Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that, they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le Orme don't make good music.

brother... they do... do you remember what you did hear.. what exactly you did hear from Le Orme.  Trust me.. having been lucky enough to see them live and meet them along with the RPI team here..  great group.. great music.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 04:01

not
that, that ^ isn't nice.. though rare to read here.. but the
comparative logic...sucks...and what did  Le Orme make? 

I heard some of Le Orme's stuff, I don't think they're very good.
Le Orme was way ahead of ELP when I posted that and I was like wtf. But
yeah, they don't make bad music and I shouldn't have insinuated that,
they're just rather boring. I really meant that compared to ELP, Le
Orme don't make good music.

brother... they do... do you remember what you did hear.. what exactly
you did hear from Le Orme.  Trust me.. having been lucky enough to
see them live and meet them along with the RPI team here..  great
group.. great music.

My friend played this mix CD for me a while ago with some PFM, Banco and Le Orme. PFM is great, Banco is good, Le Orme was just ok, no offense, I just thought it was ridiculous that they were ahead of ELP. I'll try to get my hands on some of their stuff if you're saying they're really good. I clicked on those free MP3s recently, are those accurate representations or do they have way better stuff than that?

Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 08:12

My friend played this mix CD for me a while ago with some PFM, Banco and Le Orme. PFM is great, Banco is good, Le Orme was just ok, no offense, I just thought it was ridiculous that they were ahead of ELP. I'll try to get my hands on some of their stuff if you're saying they're really good. I clicked on those free MP3s recently, are those accurate representations or do they have way better stuff than that?

none taken... christ...  you don't have to like everything hahahhah

honestly.. chalk up Orme as one you probably may not like. Those samples are great songs off two of their best.  If those didn't grab you.. you probably won't get into them. No shame in that, you can't like them all...   at least you like ELP.. so you aren't a waste of prog airspace LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 15:49
^^ Aight, aight, just wondering. I didn't want to be sl*ggin' off on a band that deserved better. It's no hassle for me to "get my hands" *cough... Limewire, ehem* on music, so I'll give them another listen anyway.

Posted By: Tylosand Ektorp
Date Posted: December 21 2007 at 17:22
ELP had four good studio albums and a great live album and almost everything after 1974 was pure unmitigated crap. Le Orme has a lot more than four good albums though their best wasn't quite as good as ELP's best. But they beat ELP in overall quality. And as an added bonus you didn't have to put up with Pete Sinfield's atrocious lyrics.

-------------
Those who know history are doomed to talk about it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk