Print Page | Close Window

Pure Reason Revolution

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37705
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 16:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pure Reason Revolution
Posted By: Man Overboard
Subject: Pure Reason Revolution
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 14:57
Decided to take the plunge and pick up The Dark Third the other night, gave it a listen last night.

Now surely it'll take several listens to really sink in, but it felt like pretty standard "new prog" space-rock with no real identity, and more than a few spots taken directly from Porcupine Tree of all people (I distinctly remember hearing the ending of Mellotron Scratch in there, as well as some generic PT riffs), not to mention a pretty blunt reference to the opening of Krimson's Moonchild.

This was the album that so many people say is bringing prog back, best album of '06?  Can someone clue me in on what I'm missing?  Ouch

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Replies:
Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:05
I liked only "He tried to show them Magic" there, and few other songs like "Goshen Remains","Voices in Winter" and "Nimos and Tambos" caught my attention.A 2.5 stars album, nothing completely mind-blowing. Same goes to this year's GAZPACHO which I also picked because of PA hype. Relax and better concentrate on bands recommended by Assaf or Erik (some true gems here! )

But I like Modern Prog, don' get me wrong...

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:07
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Decided to take the plunge and pick up The Dark Third the other night, gave it a listen last night.

Now surely it'll take several listens to really sink in, but it felt like pretty standard "new prog" space-rock with no real identity, and more than a few spots taken directly from Porcupine Tree of all people (I distinctly remember hearing the ending of Mellotron Scratch in there, as well as some generic PT riffs), not to mention a pretty blunt reference to the opening of Krimson's Moonchild.

This was the album that so many people say is bringing prog back, best album of '06?  Can someone clue me in on what I'm missing?  Ouch

I really don't know........I'm missing it too.

Have you read Teaflax's review? Didn't convince me, but it may help you.Wink

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:09
I've only heard their EP and that was severely disappointing.  Not heard Gazpacho yet.

P-J, Assaf did recommend Pure Reason Revoltion to me, so he's not always right. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:11
Count me in the group that couldn't find anything particularly special about this record.

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I really don't know........I'm missing it too.

Have you read Teaflax's review? Didn't convince me, but it may help you.Wink

All it does is give me another reason to disagree with Teaflax on everything Embarrassed

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Count me in the group that couldn't find anything particularly special about this record.

done

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Not heard Gazpacho yet.

Avoid it.

P-J, Assaf did recommend Pure Reason Revoltion to me, so he's not always right. LOL

PRR is better than GAZPACHO anyway.

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:18
Are Gazpacho as bad as Frost*?

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:19

Frosted Gazpacho is very refreshing!

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:31

GAZPACHO = moaning Steve Hogarth + worn out RADIOHEAD + some average post-rocky spots

FROST = pop harmonies + cheesy soundproducing + neo-prog-metal pointless rumble

Both are bad

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:34

you only dislike Frost* because the music has recognisable melody...Tongue

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:35
Sounds like I'll positively hate it, maybe I should listen to it! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:36
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

you only dislike Frost* because the music has recognisable melody...Tongue

So does Jethro Tull, but you hate them. Wink

-------------

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:55

Hi MOB,

Don't know if you are missing anything.
Although I added PRR to PA last year, it's one of the bands which to me are connceted to prog but not so tightly as others (but they do have proggish tendencies) along with some other on the site here, such as..... (take a guess....).
If it's the modern prog, I don't know.
And I wouldn't say they bring anything new or that they bring back prog. Nor would I say it is one of 2006 best. There are so many better albums from that year from all genres.
Other than that, I like the melodies, the vocals harmonies, the spacey mood, the long mellow riffs (of course I heard several influences and more than that in the songs, but it didn't bother me much).
When I first listened to it, I did know anything about it and did not expect anything, so that is perhaps why I was hooked with the music.
I think you should not put any hopes or expectations to it as you did (as you said, you heard/read people raving it as the album that brings prog back) but as a rock album, with nice melodies, etc.
As such, it's a more than decent album.
When you add the expectations, the album does not deliver those, at least for me and apparentely to you too.

Oh, and I don't particularly like Gazpacho as well, and here I can say that I had my hopes high which caused the initial disappointment. Then when I listened to it again and without those expectations, it did sound better. And overall it's a nice 3 stars (2.8-3.2 if you will) album. Not too exciting, but not that bad as well.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:56
I felt the same way on first listen, didn't get it at all but it's an album which I really warmed to. A very nice laid back album and one I find very atmospheric. Stick with it...Tongue

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 15:57
I get to see them at NEARFest, so I'll see if they're any better live

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:02
I like it. It's different from everything I have, and I hear no PT in there at all. It's spacey, but unusually so. It can be boring at times.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:03
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

Do you know if there are any more tickets available?  Robby and I want to go, but we missed the initial sales Cry

-------------

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Uroboros
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

GAZPACHO = moaning Steve Hogarth + worn out RADIOHEAD + some average post-rocky spots

FROST = pop harmonies + cheesy soundproducing + neo-prog-metal pointless rumble

Both are bad

Cool equations. However, you're also the guy who said, in a review of Djam Karet's Live at Orion,
"Nice late KC-inspired instrumental Prog. I guess we all have heard dozens of bands of that kind, and I must admit DJAM KARET didn't impressed me that much (I know two bands which are usually compared with DM, and they're better ;) ). (...)  Recommended mostly for KC-devotees."
--> so why should anyone trust you? Wink

Frost is a classy band, with extremely proficient musicans whose delivery on the album is, to my ears, stunning. Not everyone has to like them, of course, but they are about a dozen times better and more refreshing and tasteful than the myriad of half-fainted neo-prog combos that have been lurking in the shades for twenty years now.
I also think highly of PRR. They're not virtuosos, they don't vary their approach too much from one song to another, and they tend to stay in 4/4 most of the time, but their music is very colourful, expressive. There's something charming about them - could be the naivity of Brit-pop and Beach Boys reminiscences, could be the intense electronic framework that holds some songs together, could be the dreamy, somewhat Floydian atmosphere, probably a combination of all... They're very good at creating their moods, and there's something passionate and youthful about their songs - this is how I feel them. The vocal harmonies are omnipresent, sometimes impressive and always beautiful and the kind that sticks to your brain for some time. I got to like them after a few listens, because I chose to trust them and let them sink in. Anyway, regardless of personal opinions, there clearly isn't any other band that sounds like them today, which is a pretty nice starting point for a career. If Porcupine Tree had sounded like this in '91, it wouldn't have taken them so long to get to where they are today.

-------------
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:12

Do you know if there are any more tickets available?  Robby and I want to go, but we missed the initial sales Cry

well... I just did a search, and I didn't find any left; I think they sold out a month or two ago.  Keep an eye out though, some people may look to sell their tickets if they can't attend

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:14

It's sold out, but look for people selling their tickets in other forums (PE for instance) or here:
http://www.nearfest.com/community/toast/discussionboard.asp - http://www.nearfest.com/community/toast/discussionboard.asp

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:14
I'm glad I'm not alone - I listened to PRR back when there was a ton of hype for them going around here, and I completely agree with you MO. It's not bad by any means, but I can't see where all the recognition and high praise is coming from.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Posted By: Uroboros
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:22
I saw them live in February, opening for Blackfield. I didn't quite think they managed to reproduce the mesmerizing quality present on record, but they put up a nice show. Only four people, playing against a background of electronic layers that drove the songs ahead, three of them doing vocals while playing guitars and keys and striving to switch between samples - quite fun to watch. The playing was a bit sloppy, but they seemed to put a lot of soul into it. I talked to them after the show for about fifteen minutes and they were extremely communicative and funny, I had some serious laughs. I'm glad they're going to play NEARFest - this should help them gain a larger fanbase among them elitist proggers. Smile

-------------
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:22
Yeah, I listened to the sample on this site, and I thought there were some OK harmonies, but I wasn't interested enough to listen to them again.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:28
Pure Reason Revolution, hmmmm..... I started with Cautionary Tales,  which wasn't too bad, but not really special. I tried Dark Third later on, but I have a hard time finishing the album. It's somehow all to similar, and not very exciting to my ears. Guess we're not alone on this, ManOverboard, given the reactions in this thread.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:30

They are, they give more energy and life to the songs when performed live IMO.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:34
I got the Dark Third before the hype, after listening to The Intention Craft on the Bruce Dickinson Show, and disliked it the first time I heard. I didn't get it at the first couple of listens. Confused

Long story short, it's now one of my favorite albums of the millenium, along with Deadwing and The Last Bright Light.  Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:47
I like The Dark Third a lot actually. It's funny cause I usually never enjoy modern prog that much. Like Stonie said, I didn't see any similarities with PT and I think the band sounds unique. The vocal harmonies are excellent.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:50
Saw them live the other day at the Tiana prog fest. Sure they do something above average (which is kind of magic these days), especially the vocal pastiches are kinda new and there's a lot of intelligent grooves in their music, but I feel these guys are waaaaaay overestimated! they may grow though. I'll buy the next Cd and then decide. And the girl is reaaaaaaallllllllly cute Wink

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:53
I reviewed the album for Ink 19, and online music newspaper. It gave them an overall good review. They have a lot of talent and i'm excited about hearing their future releases.

-------------

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 16:57

MO go here to check on people selling tickets:

http://www.nearfest.com/community/toast/discussionboard.asp - http://www.nearfest.com/community/toast/discussionboard.asp

edit: Oops sorry it was already posted.Embarrassed

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: eddietrooper
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:26
At first listen I wasn't interested on them but later their album grew on me and now I really enjoy it. The may have some Porcupine Tree influences but still they are one of the most original and unique bands of the 00's.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:29
Am I the only one that got totally blown away by The Dark Third? That albums is incredible! The vocal harmonies pwn everything and anyone. So do the incredibly refreshing melodies.Clap

Probably my fav 2006 album Approve

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:41
^ The vocal harmonies are ... nice. But IMO there are far better albums in that regard, and a bit repetitive (listen to the album too often and you'll develop an allergic reaction to the word "embassedor"Wink).

BTW: I'd rate The Dark Third 4 stars (3,5 stars really, but as you all know there are no half stars here).

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ The vocal harmonies are ... nice. But IMO there are far better albums in that regard, and a bit repetitive (listen to the album too often and you'll develop an allergic reaction to the word "embassedor"Wink).

BTW: I'd rate The Dark Third 4 stars (3,5 stars really, but as you all know there are no half stars here).

Listened to it countless times, never got bored.

"The Million Bright Ambassadors... of mo-o-orniing!" Tongue

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:27
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Am I the only one that got totally blown away by The Dark Third? That albums is incredible! The vocal harmonies pwn everything and anyone. So do the incredibly refreshing melodies.Clap

I had that thought too when I first heard it, but now it's a excellent album (not mind blowing though).

I really like the album and even though it may not be as "prog" as some people may expect, it's still a wonderful album. I think that many people had problem liking them because of the hype (of course, others just don't plain like it), but aside from that it's a wonderful album.  I'd give it a 4 or 3.5 stars.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:36
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I had that thought too when I first heard it, but now it's a excellent album (not mind blowing though).

I really like the album and even though it may not be as "prog" as some people may expect, it's still a wonderful album. I think that many people had problem liking them because of the hype (of course, others just don't plain like it), but aside from that it's a wonderful album.  I'd give it a 4 or 3.5 stars.

I don't care how "Prog" it is. Just find it quite dull. Two StarStar stars from me.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:44

I don't care how "Prog" it is. Just find it quite dull. Two StarStar stars from me.

That's what I said in the words inside the parenthesis. Some people feel its over hyped and others just don't like it.

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:49

well... I just did a search, and I didn't find any left; I think they sold out a month or two ago.  Keep an eye out though, some people may look to sell their tickets if they can't attend

I'll be there too.

As for PRR, I like them quite a bit. I wouldn't call them the saviors of prog, but it's a darn fine album. It was in my top five for 2006.

However, Gazpacho bored me to tears.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:24

That's what I said in the words inside the parenthesis. Some people feel its over hyped and others just don't like it.

I know...I was showing you which one I was.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:30
LOL OK then.

-------------

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:07

I didn't really like it, either. I thought it was rather boring and even though the vocals were nice, they got way too excessive and repetitive at points. That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink

-------------

Posted By: enteredwinter
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 23:40
Add me to the list of people that was underwhelmed by the album.

Seems pretty mediocre to me, although I admit that I haven't listened to it enough to properly judge it.

By the way, did the band steal the whole "bright ambassadors of morning" metaphor for sun rays from Echoes by Pink Floyd, or did PF take it from something, maybe from poetry/literature? Anyone know? I've always been curious, because if PRR just took it from PF, and used the phrase over and over again on their album, that's pretty lame IMO.

-------------

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 00:16
I was a huge Floyd fan for a while, surrounded by bigger Floyd fans, and I think that if it were a reference I would have heard about it; therefore, I am reasonably sure Floyd made it up. I also agree that it is ridiculously lame. But apparently not content with merely that, they are also "inspired by" http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858653555 - Astronomy Domine and http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858634720 - A Pillow of Winds . I wasn't planning on getting them, but now I have extra reasons to avoid them.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

I didn't really like it, either. I thought it was rather boring and even though the vocals were nice, they got way too excessive and repetitive at points. That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink

I like my "Progland Vocal Band" better, but I actually enjoyed this album.  I hear their next one is going to Vogon poetry. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 02:10

To me, they are very good. And they look even better when you compare them with what is released nowadays. Prog ? I'm not sure.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Listened to it countless times, never got bored.

"The Million Bright Ambassadors... of mo-o-orniing!" Tongue

No need to correct the spelling ... he actually sings "embassedor", which I simply can't stand. It would be no big deal if he didn't repeat the mistake a million times.LOL

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 09:08
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

GAZPACHO = moaning Steve Hogarth + worn out RADIOHEAD + some average post-rocky spots FROST = pop harmonies + cheesy soundproducing + neo-prog-metal pointless rumble Both are bad

Cool equations. However, you're also the guy who said, in a review of Djam Karet's Live at Orion,

"Nice late KC-inspired instrumental Prog. I guess we all have heard dozens of bands of that kind, and I must admit DJAM KARET didn't impressed me that much (I know two bands which are usually compared with DM, and they're better ;) ). (...)  Recommended mostly for KC-devotees."

--> so why should anyone trust you? Wink

Nice to see so many fans there, keep it man. BTW, tastes differ if you know

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

That's why I named my review of The Dark Third "The Bright Ambassadors of Boring".Wink

Very funny phrase - it actually made me pick this album!

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:30
I think it's quite a pleasant album. It's a little too hyped though, I can see why some people are disappointed by it. I, however, prefer it over Porcupine Tree actually.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk