Print Page | Close Window

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In glorious times

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37716
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 05:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In glorious times
Posted By: el böthy
Subject: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In glorious times
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 17:01
The new Sleepytime Gorilla Museum album is out... yeeeeeessssssss!!!
I have it, and have heard it two times till now, who else has heard it? Liked it? Love it... Hated it?

Inial thoughts... The album is more guitar oriented than their previous one, the masterpiece Of natural history, and even harder, if not more metal. It seems that the spoken songs that were so amusing in ONH are no longer present here, but Carla sings more... If one thing is for sure, they didnt copy themself... and that good! Later on I will deliver more vital information, but now, I would like to hear your opinion... yes... YOU!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Replies:
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:46
not the most popular band ever, eh?

-------------

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:54
I'd like to get into this band, since I love Mr. Bungle and all the bands they're compared to.

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 18:57
I heard some of the songs when I saw 'em live. They sounded very good.
I 'll buy it soon.

Jody might have some idea.

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:04
It's out already? I thought it came out in like 3 weeks! Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:26
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

It's out already? I thought it came out in like 3 weeks! Shocked
It leaked. My friend showed me a little bit, and although I didn't hear much (he really wanted me to hear the third track, which didn't especially grab me), I love the first part of In Glorious Times. I wish he would sing more (maybe he does on ONH; I haven't heard it yet); the vocals there are achingly beautiful. I also love Carla.

Needless to say, I will be purchasing Of Natural History and In Glorious Times once it is officially released.

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 19:38
I've been hearing nothing but good things about them, I'll have to get Of Natural History soon as I can.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:00
I wouldn't mind checking it out.  Of Natural History is excellent, one of my favorite albums of the past couple years.  The Sleepies are true originals.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:10
For those that dont already own Of Natural History... what are you waiting fooooor?
And yes, my copy is not original, unfortunatly their albums do not reach this part of the world (no surprise here) and to buy them original is far too expensive... unless someone has a copy of one of thir albums that they dont want... I pay the shipment...jejej, yeha like thats gonna happen

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:10
I really like it,even better than Of Natural History.I like that it's heavier,more guitar oriented and if at all possible even more insane than their previous releases.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 21:22
Love Nil´s and Carla´s vocals... specially Nil´s in The Companions, specially his softer more teatrical voice

-------------

Posted By: Drakk
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:32
These guys never cease to amaze me.

I didn't think they'd be able to top Of Natural History, but for me they did. 

All their albums are extremely good, though.

-------------
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]

Posted By: MusicForSpeedin
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 22:45
I have the other two but I didnt know of this. I'm probably going to pick this up now. Thanks

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: May 07 2007 at 23:10
I'll have to get it. I love their previous one. I still think that Prog Metal should be defined by their sound and aproach. Great musicians they are must should ought shall...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:55
I still haven't heard them at all. Shame on me. And shame on them for making my "albums to get"-list even longer...

Posted By: mecca
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 14:18
Definitely my favorite release from SGM.  The drumming has a lot better mix in the album as well.  Heavy, more Carla, more violin (more Carla), and cool phone messages.  10/10.

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 14:20
all my sources say it doesn't come out until May 29th Confused

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 17:40
Their album leaked late April.

Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 20:32
Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesome

and the last 5 songs... who else here things they make one big epic?

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 07:02
Hm... maybe about the epic part.  But it's not necessarily copying another band if you're speaking a widely popular language in a song.  I don't think TMV is the first band to sing Spanish lol.  And I've heard confirmation that the phone recordings are of or about Nil's brother Per who OD'd, and that's why we have the hospital stuff at the end.  Really sad when you think about it and all the stuff that's said.  Pretty f**king epic altogether.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 07:48
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesome

If you respected these artists you wouldn't talk about a leaked album until it is released ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

If you respected these artists you wouldn't talk about a leaked album until it is released ...

First of all, I didnt know it was leaked, I thought it was already out. As this albums dont come to Argentina I have no other way to knowing about them for sites like this, and when I saw it I inmediatly thought it was out. And why then take it out on me? are we gonna play that game again Mike? Why dont say it in general, for all of us who have post in this thread... go and say it to Progtologist too for that matter
Second... ..., I will get back on you with that

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 21:43
Well I've pre-ordered the album (a couple weeks ago now though), I can't wait to get it.  This is THE best album of 2006.  Only 10 or so more days left until I can see the amazing packaging. 

[spoiler]
What I've noticed about the new SGM album is that it's a lot more coherent album, it feels like an album and less like a collection of randomly selected songs (like their previous efforts).  The production is beautiful and the compositions are intricate but yet extremely concise.  I also love when Nils and Carla are synced together (violin and guitar), especially at the end of Widening Eye. 
[/spoiler]

Wahh, I wish time would speed up.

Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 22:08
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Well I've pre-ordered the album (a couple weeks ago now though), I can't wait to get it.  This is THE best album of 2006.  Only 10 or so more days left until I can see the amazing packaging. 

[spoiler]
What I've noticed about the new SGM album is that it's a lot more coherent album, it feels like an album and less like a collection of randomly selected songs (like their previous efforts).  The production is beautiful and the compositions are intricate but yet extremely concise.  I also love when Nils and Carla are synced together (violin and guitar), especially at the end of Widening Eye. 
[/spoiler]

Wahh, I wish time would speed up.

2006????Shocked

You know, I think Of Natural History is much more coherent than In glorious times... but they are both great... still, I find ONH to be their masterpiece

-------------

Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 23:22

Oh whoops, I meant 2007.  Nah, ONH was great, but it didn't flow at all.  Not to mention, ONH had a lot more filler, especially 17 Year Cicadas (yawn), those field recordings.  Cockroach shouldn't be after Babydoctor at all, especially without epic Babydoctor is as a whole.  I could imagine Cockroach before Babydoctor, that would work a lot better aesthetically.  The first six songs on Of Natural History flow well, but after that, the consistancy gets a bit shakey.  I think the flow on ONH hindered my ability to continually listen to the album, which I can't do much on it, just because the album felt really lopsided.  In Glorious Times is even througout, every song has a climax, no more filler, every song feels like it's an essential part of the album.  The songs that I could take out of Of Natural History, and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music would be:  The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach.

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 23:28

Have you noticed that in the first song Nils and Carla sing in spanish one part? Talk about goosebumps! Whats up with that... did they thought that its quite cool that the MArs Volta is doing it, so they discided to do it too?... mmm maybe, either way, its awesomeand the last 5 songs... who else here things they make one big epic?

That spanish in the Mars Volta album didn't sounded so cool to me. If you don't know how to speak in another language, then just don't.

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Date Posted: May 21 2007 at 17:20

Oh whoops, I meant 2007.  Nah, ONH was great, but it didn't flow at all.  Not to mention, ONH had a lot more filler, especially 17 Year Cicadas (yawn), those field recordings.  Cockroach shouldn't be after Babydoctor at all, especially without epic Babydoctor is as a whole.  I could imagine Cockroach before Babydoctor, that would work a lot better aesthetically.  The first six songs on Of Natural History flow well, but after that, the consistancy gets a bit shakey.  I think the flow on ONH hindered my ability to continually listen to the album, which I can't do much on it, just because the album felt really lopsided.  In Glorious Times is even througout, every song has a climax, no more filler, every song feels like it's an essential part of the album.  The songs that I could take out of Of Natural History, and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music would be:  The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach.

I love What shall we do and CockroachLOL... I love the whole thing, and its true what you say, the flow builds after many, many times of listening... in a way, its more optuse and prog than In glorious times

-------------

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 03:21

First of all, I didnt know it was leaked, I thought it was already out. As this albums dont come to Argentina I have no other way to knowing about them for sites like this, and when I saw it I inmediatly thought it was out. And why then take it out on me? are we gonna play that game again Mike? Why dont say it in general, for all of us who have post in this thread... go and say it to Progtologist too for that matter

I am saying it to everyone who promotes leaks ... I even said it to my friend The Progtologist, which caused much grief and sorrow. I'm sorry if my post offended you ... if you really thought the album had already been released then I apologize.Embarrassed

But please try to understand my point of view ... you were asking for opinions about an album which people can only know in detail if they listened to a leak (likely) or received a legitimate promo copy (unlikely)? The album isn't even mentioned on their website yet (May 22nd). It will be released this friday in Europe, next tuesday in the Americas. And although you say that you didn't know it was a leak, you continue to discuss it ... Wink

Please don't be too angry about my post, listening to leaks seems to be no problem for most people (polls about the subject are deleted by admins, so we won't find out in detail) ... I simply reserve my right to complain when threads like this one are started, because I think that in the end it hurts the artist ... but as I said, this is only my opinion and I know that many people think otherwise.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 22:46

I am saying it to everyone who promotes leaks ... I even said it to my friend The Progtologist, which caused much grief and sorrow. I'm sorry if my post offended you ... if you really thought the album had already been released then I apologize.Embarrassed

But please try to understand my point of view ... you were asking for opinions about an album which people can only know in detail if they listened to a leak (likely) or received a legitimate promo copy (unlikely)? The album isn't even mentioned on their website yet (May 22nd). It will be released this friday in Europe, next tuesday in the Americas. And although you say that you didn't know it was a leak, you continue to discuss it ... Wink

Please don't be too angry about my post, listening to leaks seems to be no problem for most people (polls about the subject are deleted by admins, so we won't find out in detail) ... I simply reserve my right to complain when threads like this one are started, because I think that in the end it hurts the artist ... but as I said, this is only my opinion and I know that many people think otherwise.

Ok, Mike... let me just take a Valium... ahh...

I understand, I totally do, sorry if I got all crazy and sh*t. I see your point, to be honest, I had no idea it was leaked, I noticed the album in this site, so I thought... of course there are many leaked albums in this site, like the DT one...

-------------

Posted By: TheProgMonster
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:47
Admins Please Delete This!

Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:49
...may this be competition for album of the year¿¿?Shocked

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 20:55
Sadly I've still yet to listen to a single note from these guys, but before the end of the year I'll be sure I do. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 21:25
I picked it up today. I listened to it driving back from the store. I listened to it once at home. I listened to it after eating. I am listening to it now.

This album is AMAZING!!!

This band never ceases to amaze me.

Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 21:37
They have a video out for the song Helpless Corpse Enactment on their site(or was it on the end records site?).The song is going to be their new album. The video is pretty weird and the song is heaviest I have ever heard form these guys. Who else have seen this?

Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

I picked it up today. I listened to it driving back from the store. I listened to it once at home. I listened to it after eating. I am listening to it now.

This album is AMAZING!!!

This band never ceases to amaze me.

Where at? It doesn't come out until another three days(over here anyways).

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 02:10
At some place called the mushroom...I dont know how they had it...but they did.

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

At some place called the mushroom...I dont know how they had it...but they did.
Hey, could you go into a little detail about the packaging?  :)  I'm getting it tomorrow for sure because I preordered... I'm really excited to see the inside.

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 12:08
I hope its as great as the Of Natural History packaging.Smile

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 18:04
Yeah, I love ONH's packaging, so epic.

Date Posted: May 28 2007 at 23:39
Wish I could have the real thing... unfortunately... I dontCry

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2007 at 17:27
Yes it finally outThumbs%20Up! I'll give my consensus on it later.

Date Posted: May 30 2007 at 07:06
Let's all cross our legs that I get mine today.Embarrassed

Date Posted: May 30 2007 at 15:17
Mine is gonna be a bit lateCry, it'll probably come in two days.

Edit: I just got a book called Finnegan's Wake and I noticed some words in the first chapter that are on 'Helpless Corpse Enactment', a song that is on The End Records site and is also on the new album.

Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:23
This album is so f**king good.  I got it today.  :D  Loving it to death, I'm liking that the transitions aren't chopped up on album quality.  Best SGM album hands down, and the packaging is ace as well.

RIP Per.

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by TheProgMonster TheProgMonster wrote:

Mine is gonna be a bit lateCry, it'll probably come in two days.

Edit: I just got a book called Finnegan's Wake and I noticed some words in the first chapter that are on 'Helpless Corpse Enactment', a song that is on The End Records site and is also on the new album.

Off Topic: You probably know this, but there's a Belgian band called http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1324 - FINNEGANS WAKE  which has some releases that might interest you. Try http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6506 - Pictures  and http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7775 - 4th

Oh, and I got my SGM copy a few days ago and slowly "digesting" it. So far, so good!

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:29
I've listened to little else since I got it on the day of its release. It takes a few listens to grow on you, but now I think it's at least as good as ONH, if not better. Angel of Repose BLOWS MY MIND!

Best band ever. Seriously.

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: June 04 2007 at 20:34

The songs that I could take out of Of Natural History, and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music would be:  The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach.

How can you not love Cockroach? It's the funniest thing ever! I begged them to play it live, begged them! But they said they couldn't because they didn't have the autoharp with them :(

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 06:38
Cockroach is a great song, it's just horribly placed.  Babydoctor would be a really great finale to the album, but instead Cockroach comes after.  Great song, it just doesn't fit as a last song to such a good album.

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 16:30
I've listened to their only song we have on the link and it amazing! They're music sounds like crimson but the vocals are completely unique and crazy! I dont know where to buy any of they're albums though!Cry And my Dad wont let me buy stuff off the internet under any circumstance! Where do I look!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 17:10
I got mine from Best Buy.  You can check thier website if they have it, call your nearest one and just ask.  Also, look for local indie music stores, I didn't think WI had one, but we do, and they also got it the day it came out.  It's kinda hard to find, but not impossible.

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 17:13
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

I've listened to their only song we have on the link and it amazing! They're music sounds like crimson but the vocals are completely unique and crazy! I dont know where to buy any of they're albums though!Cry And my Dad wont let me buy stuff off the internet under any circumstance! Where do I look!!!!

Buy it here:
http://www.theomegaorder.com/ - http://www.theomegaorder.com/
http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15288/.f - http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15288/.f

That's the mailorder for their label and it only costs 10.99$ and the shipping in the US is free.

-------------

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 20:04
I'm going to have to special order it.  None of the stores in northeast Ohio (none of the usual suspects anyway) are carrying it, and frankly I'm enough of a luddite that I don't like ordering stuff online.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 20:51
For all those who want an online place to order the album, here are some:

http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15288/.f - The Omega Order (the mailorder of The End Records which is SGM's label) 10.99$ and free shipping in the US.

http://www.astropitch.com/sgm/ - The SGM store  13.25$

http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Times-Sleepytime-Gorilla-Museum/dp/B000PFU9U6 - Amazon  13.99$ and there's the vendors there

http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=THE%20END%20082 - Wayside  13$

http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=TE082 - Laser's Edge   12$

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7428955/a/In+Glorious+Times.htm - CD Universe  11.98$

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/Sleepytime-Gorilla-Museum-In-Glorious-Times-5-29/2458919/product.html - Overstock  12.60$

There are probably more places to buy but that should cover it for the US...

Of those, I recommend buying either from The End Records or from the band itself.

-------------

Posted By: enteredwinter
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 20:58
As Mecca pointed out, it's available at Best Buy, a very ubiquitous store here in the States, although I'm not sure about its presence in other countries.

I got it at a Best Buy today, but I haven't listened to it yet. Looking forward to doing so tonight!

-------------

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: June 05 2007 at 23:29
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Buy it here:
http://www.theomegaorder.com/ - http://www.theomegaorder.com/
http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15288/.f - http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15288/.f

That's the mailorder for their label and it only costs 10.99$ and the shipping in the US is free.

This wont put my parents credit card online?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk