Print Page | Close Window

Anthony Phillips

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37786
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 17:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anthony Phillips
Posted By: progadicto
Subject: Anthony Phillips
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 20:25

The last week I've been listening some Anthony Phillips albums and, my God, the guy is great! Since the first time I heard WISE AFTER THE EVENT (the first AP album that I got in my hands) I knew that this brilliant musician was something special. Brilliant composer and amazing musician most of his albums are beautiful and delicate musical pieces, full of imagination and sensibility and of course, touched by soft drops of symph prog...

Well, the problem is that no more than 3 or 4 AP albums has more than 10 reviews and I ask myself: prog fans doesn't listen Phillips music? Is he an "underground" artist? Phillips has some masterpieces like Wise After..., Private Parts & Pieces I, II, II and VIII; Sides, The Geese and The Ghost, 1984, The Meadows Of Englewood, Slow Dance, Ivory Moon... why prog fans doesn't know this albums? I hope I'm wrong but I became ProgArchives member almost two years ago and the Name of Anthony was mentioned few times in threads or polls...

So, what you think? Please tell me that you know Anthony and you love his music...

Peace

ProgAdicto

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Replies:
Posted By: oracus
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 21:08
I love his music and i believe also that he is a great guitarist and composer. I think that people here dont review his albums because its mellow guitar music and the 'rock' factor is in low levels if you know what i mean :-)

-------------

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 23:00
Recently I saw his name on eMusic, and got the Slow Dance album. For two downloads only I really couldn't pass it up. I haven't listened to it yet but the samples sound very nice. I'll try it out later and get back I guess.

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 23:30
I prefer him to Hackett

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 06:46
I only have an anthology and I gave 4 stars to that. I liked almost every track on it. However, aside from 'Sides' and '1984' which I had on vinyl I haven't found copies of his other albums. I know some of them are being remastered- I believe Voiceprint are doing 'The Geese And The Ghost', 'Wise After The Event' and '1984'.

Based on the anthology, I have the feeling that it's only him and Steve Hackett of Genesis that have had solo careers I would have prolonged interest in- Rutherford, Collins and Banks (based on what I've heard from his later work) I like their debuts a lot and nothing else.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 08:09
I've been a fan for quite some time and have a good bit of his fairly large discography:

Private Parts & Pieces

Geese & the Ghost, The

Sides

Wise After the Event

Missing Links Volume 1: Finger Painting

Slow Waves, Soft Stars

Slow Dance

Private Parts & Pieces 4: A Catch at the Tables

Private Parts & Pieces VIII: New England

Private Parts and Pieces IX: Dragonfly Dreams

Archive Collection Volume One, The

Soiree (Private Parts & Pieces X)

Gypsy Suite

There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring. 

Your post just reminds me, I've been meaning to get a copy of Private Parts & Pieces III: Antiques.  I've only got the LP version which I've had for many years and haven't heard in many years.  It was very influential when I was first started playing guitar.
It's a real hard one to get a hold of, but I did just look it up online and I actually found a seller of a new copy in Georgia!   $23.81  The last time I tried to order it, the seller cancelled.  Hope I get lucky this time.

You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention.  That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try.

But before you feel too bad about the relative lack of attention Anthony gets, go check out the reviews of another influental (for me) guitarist, Phil Manzanera (of Roxy Music fame).  And while your at it get a copy of his latest album: 50 minutes.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 08:49
Perhaps Phillips' discography is so extensive, we don't know where to start!

Also, he does a lot of varied stuff...some albums are just guitar instrumentals, some solo piano, and some people find that hard to get into, which is a shame.

Obviously, the Geese and the Ghost is his most well-known recording, but there are lots of hidden gems, like Slow Waves Soft Stars, which is a beautiful album.

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:01

I especially like Private Parts & Pieces V: Twelve - A collection of really memorable acoustic guitar instrumentals.

I'm a major fan of Ant, but you may be right about his stuff being too mellow for the average proggy.

Posted By: Global Warmer
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 11:09
Hello Progadicto!

Very nice to read your flattering words about Anthony Phillips. I also like his (lyrical)music very much and it was only until a few years ago that I discovered his music. Something like: All the brilliant old Genesis records are in my collection, what now..? I estimate the small distribution/availibility of his music might be a major cause
that Anthony is not too well known amongst Prog lovers. E.g. his brilliant album The Geese and The ghost: This 1977 album was issued on (remasterd!) cd in 1990 and that was it!

Nice regards 

-------------
Paul Rietman

Posted By: The Lost Chord
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:07
Anthony Phillips is my favorite guitarist.  He is not a technical marvel, but he has drenched my soul in emotion more than any other guitarist has done.

Just listen to New England Suite, he could play that for you in your living room, incredible.  He has so much passion in his life, he loves beauty, he is just a genius.

-------------
"Only the sun knew why"

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:23
Can't seem to get Geese & the Ghost anywhere! Anyone got ideas where i can get it on CD?

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:32
I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett.

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:40
Speaking of another even more neglected artist, Fred Frith.  His discography here has many albums missing and each item just has one rating so far if it has a rating at all.  I'll be updating that tonight.  Firth is sylistically about 180 degrees different from Anthony Phillips.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:44
Originally posted by daz2112 daz2112 wrote:

Can't seem to get Geese & the Ghost anywhere! Anyone got ideas where i can get it on CD?

Amazon Marketplace have it.5 copies ranging in price from £9.99 to £300 !!!

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:52
Yeah, interesting, I wanted to check out if there was any topic about this guy yesterday... I discovered Anthony Phillips' solo about a week ago... I was following New Age links in internet (funny, I was there to find something about Deuter and where I ended up). I found Anthony Phillips link. I did not realize at first time that it was the same person as Genesis' original guitarist. Then my friend burn me these albums and Wise After An Event is what I'm listening now.  Wise After..., The Geese..., and Sides are what I've already listened and I must admit that this guy is simply GREAT. But I haven't yet understood why it was in New Age links. Because of some other albums maybe? But anyway what I've listened is pure, mellow and very melodic Symphonic Progressive Rock. Gonna check out some other albums and write a review on one of them.

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 13:48
It's great to see you guys totally interested in Anthony's music...

I really agree with the words of Slartibartfast: "There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring". It's true but if those metal heads are really interested in great music they could give Ant a chance. I also agree with him when he mention great musicians as Phil Manzanera (i've got to buy his last album!) and the ecclectical Fred Frith...

Also agree with Slartibartfast when he say: "You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention. That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try". And as Progger says: "I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett". Totally agree. Phillips keep working on his symph prog  roots with some interesting variations to fusion and almost new age stuff but never leave behind the prog content in his albums...

Well, I hope more people gives her appreciation about Anthony...

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 15:24
Yes, I like him a lot, and I should write some reviews, when I have the time (in June maybe, or July).

I'm a big fan of Back To The Pavilion, Sides, Ivory Moon, Tarka and Slow Dance especially.

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 19:12
Originally posted by progadicto progadicto wrote:

I really agree with the words of Slartibartfast: "There does seem to be high concentration of metal heads on this site and they would mostly say his stuff is boring". It's true but if those metal heads are really interested in great music they could give Ant a chance. I also agree with him when he mention great musicians as Phil Manzanera (i've got to buy his last album!) and the ecclectical Fred Frith...

Also agree with Slartibartfast when he say: "You would think with all the Genesis fans on here, he'd get more attention. That may be due to most of them find the Hacket era the definitive era and just haven't given him a try". And as Progger says: "I think he has stayed true to his symphonic and prog roots more than any other Genesis member, even Steve Hackett". Totally agree. Phillips keep working on his symph prog  roots with some interesting variations to fusion and almost new age stuff but never leave behind the prog content in his albums...

I see my hypnotic powers are working.LOL
You are all getting very sleepy, veeeerrrry sleeeeepy.  And when you wake up you will all go out and buy Phil's latest album, and some Frith, and some of Phillip's underreviewed albums.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 20:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by progadicto progadicto wrote:

I see my hypnotic powers are working.LOL
You are all getting very sleepy, veeeerrrry sleeeeepy.  And when you wake up you will all go out and buy Phil's latest album, and some Frith, and some of Phillip's underreviewed albums.

Sleepy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will obey your orders, master...

LOL

-------------

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 01:51
i constantly mention tony phillips

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 02:13
He is OK, but way too mellow for me. Lacks energy and a rockier edge., for my taste. For special moments only.. I wouldn't recommend it to the average prog fan.

Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:49
Besides ProgArchives, there are not much information about Anthony, but there's an interesting (but short) article about his career here:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Anthony%20Phillips:1927010570:page=biography - http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Anthony%20Phillips:1927010570:page=biography

-------------

Posted By: hyperboreal
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:35
Well I have to disagree with you Lost Chord, I think his guitar technique is quite marvelous and elaborate as it's his own music. You only have to listen to "Tregenna Afternoons" to get a glimpse of the incredible versatility he can achieve on a 12-string, which is one of the hardest kind of guitars in terms of "playability" by the way. 

Posted By: dralan
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:48
Yea I love Anthony Phillips. I dont think alot of people realize how important he was to the early Genesis sound. I read an interview with Banks where he said at the time Phillips left the band they were unsure as to whether continuing on without him because he was one of the key writers on the early material and was so instrumental in shaping the concept of Genesis in the early days. Certainly the twelve string sound he pioneered with the band was very influential . On Nursery Cryme Hackett seems to be aping Phillips technique early on, and alot of people dont know that Musical Box was largely written by Phillips which pretty much defined the early Genesis style. And I love his solo material too!  

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 19:50
I love mellow, slow music. The only thing that pisses me off is that it is virtually impossible to find any of his albums!!!!AngryAngry

Posted By: Hyperborea
Date Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:50
There are ways and means to find his albums, however his stuff prior to 1984 is superb. 1984 is a big let down, very 1980's keyboard orietated.

-------------
As i race o'er this beautiful sphere, Like a dog who is chasing his.....

Posted By: ldlanberg
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 00:18
Anthony Phillips' solo albums are just a little too light for my personal tastes, however there are some moments of really cool sound effects. I've always liked his work on Genesis Trespass -- nothing hard to decipher, he puts the guitar sound straight through the speakers. (But of course this album was before Tony Banks ramped-up the keyboards to saturation level).

I've always thought that if he stayed with the band (Genesis) they would have made their mark a totally different way than they did.

-------------
LDL

Posted By: Rolling Ronnie
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 05:48
'The Geese & The Ghost' and 'Back To The Pavilion' are my favorites. Wonderful artiste & composer. I wonder what an Anthony Phillips / Brian Eno collaboration would sound like?

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: June 01 2008 at 23:12
'The Geese & The Ghost' is one of my All time Fav albums simply a Beautiful  wonderful album
cover Art is Lovely to, 

-------------

Posted By: Weston
Date Posted: June 02 2008 at 00:15

I believe I have Sides and Missing Links Vol 1: Finger Painting.  I say "believe"  because my CD collection is up in the top of a closet.  I rip them to mp3's these days and play them at random, so I get out of touch with what I have. 

Of the two I can remember nothing at all about Sides.  It just didn't make that big an impression on me for some reason.  Too pop maybe.  I can remember a little about Finger Painting and thought it very nice, something I enjoy hearing mixed in with other stuff on random play, but nothing to give me a progasm.

The Geese and the Ghost I had on vinyl back in the day.  Now THAT I still remember very well even after not hearing it for decades.  "Portrait of Tudor Times" made a big impression on me, and of course the title track/suite is great.  I keep meaning to track this down on CD if it's available, but you just forget stuff when you get older. 

I need to make lists.  I have a list of what I've got, but not a list of what I want.

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: June 02 2008 at 00:23
I have The Geese & the Ghost and Private Parts and Pieces Pt. 2 on vinyl, plus Wise After the Even downloaded, they're all VERY amazing.  I recently ordered Sides on LP since it was cheap, I know it's not considered his best but for $4 it's worth it I'm sure.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2008 at 07:58
I only have a few:
Private Parts & Pieces
Geese & the Ghost, The
Sides
Wise After the Event
Missing Links Volume 1: Finger Painting
Private Parts & Pieces III
Slow Waves, Soft Stars
Slow Dance
Private Parts & Pieces 4: A Catch at the Tables
Private Parts & Pieces VIII: New England
Private Parts and Pieces IX: Dragonfly Dreams
Archive Collection Volume One, The
Soiree (Private Parts & Pieces X)
Gypsy Suite

I guess if there's one thing Ant hasn't been post Genesis, that would be non-prolific.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 00:19
I have a few too: the highlighted ones are highlight albums . Great artist, very original and somehow honest in his craft.
The Geese & The Ghost
Wise After The Event
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 1
Sides
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 2: Back to the Pavillion
Nine Teen Eighty Four
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 3: Antiques
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 4: A Catch at the Tables
Private Parts & Pieces Vol 5: Twelve
Ivory Moon
Slow Waves Soft Stars
Slow Dance
New England
The Gypsy Suite
Dragonfly Dreams

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 07:37
Antiques was a hard one for me to get a hold of on CD.  The LP's been in my collection for a while.  It's a close second favorite to The G. & the G.

-------------

Posted By: PinkPangolin
Date Posted: June 07 2008 at 06:18
Never heard his solo music, but I am interested.  Loved his guitar playing on "Trespass" - superb.

Posted By: Los_Endos
Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 22:05
I actually have a couple of Ant's albums, but have never really given them too much ear time for some reason. They are extremely mellow, which I am rarely in the mood for.

I like nice acoustic guitars, don't get me wrong, but I can't take more than a couple of minutes of it before i need to hear some drums and organs. LOL

He is a great musician though. Think I will listen to Private Parts tomorrow though.

Posted By: reality
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 02:07
I have no idea, mabye not rock enough? Ant is one of my favorites!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 02:34
Lets face it guys, if Ant wouldn't got that stage panic, he would had been a crucial part of the  band always, there was noi way he could ever be replaced by anybody.

But he left and gave the chance to the only man capable to play Ant Phillips style as well as Ant with the difference that Steve's atmospheres were unique and is much more versatile.

I'm sure that with Ant, Genesis would had a slightly different sound, but for Trespass, I guess it would had been almost as good as with Steve, probably that Genesis trademark guitar that sounds as a keyboard would had never appeared and the atmospheres would had been a bit weaker, but Ant was no joke, he had his own strong points.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: June 13 2008 at 03:56
Much love for Ant. He has so much music out there, and it's so delicate and relaxing. Perfect chillout stuff right there!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk