Is there progressive pop or dance?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37851
Printed Date: May 18 2024 at 22:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is there progressive pop or dance?
Posted By: The T
Subject: Is there progressive pop or dance?
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:23
Is there such a thing? I've read some valuable members talking about its existence. What could fit such a description? Is my first post too small and the question too brief? Then enhance it with your delicious coments!Big%20smile And enlighten me in the process, please. I'm not such an enemy of everyhting "pop" so I'm really puzzled by the statement. As opposed to progressive-hiphop, in this case I would love if you can give me examples of what you think is prog-pop. Big%20smile

Thank you.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: andu
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:28
Try AIR, one of the greatest bands in action. I call them progressive electro-pop

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:32

I would say that Oingo Boingo might fall into such a category.  A lot of their music is far more interesting that run-of-the-mill pop.  And their final studio album could be borderline prog.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:37
Good thread... well, you can go back with memory to the old days of disco music, when some artists (sic!) worried about providing long-lasting tracks, so that the disco people could dance without stopping (and this before DJs started to use mixers and so on). CERRONE is a good example and his 1977-1978 albums "Love in C-minor" and "Supernature" may also be considered... epics! Also BARRY WHITE and his symphonic approach with his Love Unlimited Orchestra shouldn't be despised, as well as any GIORGIO MORODER productions (among them, Donna Summer and Dee Dee Jackson), always on the edge of electronic prog. 
Personally, I consider the 1980s the worst period for dance, while, since the beginning of the 1990s, the Techno-Trance scene has brought new life to an experimental approach to dance music. At least, it's difficult not to be mesmerized by the music by the CHEMICAL BROTHERS.

And remember...

...shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty!

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 13:37
Fred Frith has done music for a lot of dance productions...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Marcos
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 14:12

Perhaps Asia is prog-pop...

-------------
www.postmortemweb.com.ar

Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by Marcos Marcos wrote:

Perhaps Asia is prog-pop...

Sorry to those who like the band, but AURA was so awful, I called it "elevator-prog"... But maybe the earler releases...But they're still rock...not pure pop.

-------------

Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 14:25
Some on No-Man's earlier work had elements of progressive dance...

Posted By: Marcos
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 14:26
ok... Asia is pop-rock

-------------
www.postmortemweb.com.ar

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 17:26
There is all manner of progressive dance music - check out System 7, led by Steve Hillage - who also helped on The Orb's material. The Orb's "Peel Sessions" LP is a gem of "Progressive" ambient music.

I also think that the Prodigy were among the most progressive of the techno bands in the early 1990s - despite being ridiculously popular - their first two albums are leagues away from the stuff that Belgium was churning out.

"Fat of the Land" is OK - and a lot of fun, but disappointingly commercially oriented.

"Experience" is incomparable in 1991 - and I read a fascinating article on how the album was put together - some samples requiring 10 PCs networked together in order to render them overnight, such was the attention to detail in each sound - not to mention low horse-power CPUs compared to today (66Mhz 486, anyone?).

"Music For The Jilted Generation" is miles away from "Experience" - a band clearly concerned with breaking new boundaries in hard dance music.

There's more, of course, but there are other posts... Big%20smile

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 17:32
Leftfield are definitely progressive for me...Smile

Posted By: coleio
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:03
Or..
Just stick with prog rock, prog pop will blatently be rubbish, stop trying to be eclectic it's just annoying.

-------------
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:42
some early Ozric is pretty dance music ( prog/club-music) every time I go to see them I see alot women ( yeah Women) dancing  to their music.Wink

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:45
Originally posted by coleio coleio wrote:

Or..
Just stick with prog rock, prog pop will blatently be rubbish, stop trying to be eclectic it's just annoying.

How can you justify that? Confused

Oh - I see...

-------------

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 18:48
Bubblemath somehow manage to fuse avant-prog structures with the ocassional pop-like sensibility. See their song "Be Together" for details.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 19:10
Only in the very loosest sense of the word.

The problem is that damned "P" word -- don't take it so literally (and it doesn't just mean "good" or "above average in quality and/or complexity," either).

To me, "progressive" is mainly a sound from a certain time.

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: yface1
Date Posted: May 11 2007 at 19:16
What "P" word...  Pop?

Nah, prog is thrown around too loosely these days. Just about anybody can - in some miniscule way - be considered prog. Hell, my bro argued with me last week whether Greenday are prog or not...
 In fact, the word is used like the word love... how many people these days say it cause it's "the right thing to say".

It's just silly I think, but prog and pop together, it's a major contradiction of terms IMO. Long live real Prog and may we soon forget that the popular stuff exists!

-------------
My entertainment dollar is burning in my pocket!

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 00:50
If we're using "prog" as in the genre, of course it's impossible to conceive such a thing, as prog-rock really was the music played by Yes, genesis, ELP, VDGG, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, etc. Not even DT would be prog, as it didn't belong to that genre/era... Not even Marillion would be prog, they are NEO-prog, a new version of prog, remember? So NO genre would be prog if we use that approach.

But as the word "progressive" goes, I'm sure there can be progressive-whatever, as long as that whatever is good, goes beyond the genre's boundaries, tries to do more than what's normal for the genre, etc... Thus, I don't agree that much with your statement, if we look at the issue from this last point of view. Seeing it from the former, of course no today's music could be considered prog, as prog is not only a genre but a genre belonging to an era.

I think I'm confusing myself...ConfusedConfused but anyway, I think my point gets across...Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 01:09

Or..

Originally posted by yface1 yface1 wrote:

OK, this thread is iritating me now. Prog - I mean real prog - should be considered musical art, not another music category. As much as I agree that some pop is "OK" none of it, and I mean none - should be conisdered prog as the casual musical ear doesn't like jumpy time signatures, blended sounds and intricate music. they like the silly stuff concerning love(boy bands), hate (rap and RnB) and other such boring stuff. So no, "Prog-Pop" should never exist and hopefully will never be mentioned again, darnabit!

You two need to listen first before jumping to conclusions.

Why simply dismiss the idea or just shut the door when one can discover new things never thought of before?

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 01:23
Now to music,

Progressive Dance is already here at Progarchives, or at least something close to it. I remember when I heard http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6081 - Anubian Light's Let Not the Flame Die Out for the first time. I thought there was a mistake as to why they're here! But they are prog and have a huge dance influence.

For Progressive Pop I think http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=8321 - Super Fury Animals may fit the bill nicely. They're very eclectic in their approach to be considered progressive as well as having some of the 70's prog sound in them at times. The previously mentioned Air can also be called prog pop, but I'm not 100% sure about it although there are some proggish songs in their albums.

I haven't heard this album, but http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7417 - Kraftwerk's The Man Machine could be one of those progressive pop albums and they're made from one of the prog bands from the 70! Needless to say that I'm very well interested in it and I'm looking forward to listen to it.

EDIT:
Note that 3 of the 4 bands mentioned are in this website and at least 2 of the 4 bands can be considered dance and pop prog (without counting the bands already mentioned in the other posts) I think it rules out the idea of these genres not existing. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 01:44
Koria Orom's "Sound & Vision" is pretty dancey...espeically the song listed on the site.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 01:47
Yes, Man Machine by Kraftwerk is very techno/dancey
If we are to trust everything on this site, then Queen's Hot Space album (which is Whoreable)

Other than that, all I can think of are donkeys in bikinis with shaven legs - very sexy

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 01:51
I haven't heard that album from them, but I have heard their 2005 album and I agree with you, MWH. They are the most dance orientated group from the Ozric Tentacle/ Steve Hillage influenced groups.

-------------

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 02:02
Wait a second... why do we care if there is such a thing as progressive pop or dance?

- I knew a guy who danced to Beefheart's Gonna Booglarize You - so I guess you can dance to just about anything you really want to

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 16:19
There is a genre called Progressive Trance. I don't know anything about it though, as I don't listen to Trance.

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 16:30
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

There is a genre called Progressive Trance. I don't know anything about it though, as I don't listen to Trance.

Underworld is very goodClap

and progressive Trance or House is just as legitimate as a form of progressive music as Progressive rock, Jazz, or Electronic is.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 18:20
I'm OK with all of this and I thank you for the input... As long as nobody comes to me saying there's progressive-reggaeton.... (Big%20smile...only latinamericanswill know what atrocity I'm talking about)

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 20:19
Sadly we do. Specially me since I live in Puerto Rico, the birthplace of reggaeton...

At least it's good to dance to. Tongue

EDIT:
Oddly enough there is a reggaeton song that's about 17 minutes long! Although I wouldn't dare call it prog, it is pretty revolutionary within the genre.

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 22:40
OuchOuchOuchDeadOuchOuchOuchShockedOuchOuchOuchBroken%20Heart

-------------

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: May 12 2007 at 22:45
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Underworld is very goodClap

and progressive Trance or House is just as legitimate as a form of progressive music as Progressive rock, Jazz, or Electronic is.

progressive trance dosent refer to the same thing as progressive rock, it has to do with the fact that the track progresses by slightly changing the beat to create build ups. Its fun music not really prog.

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 05:16
Future Sound of London are a kind of dance act that have a definite appeal for prog fans. :)

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 08:42

OK, this thread is iritating me now. Prog - I mean real prog - should be considered musical art, not another music category. As much as I agree that some pop is "OK" none of it, and I mean none - should be conisdered prog as the casual musical ear doesn't like jumpy time signatures, blended sounds and intricate music. they like the silly stuff concerning love(boy bands), hate (rap and RnB) and other such boring stuff. So no, "Prog-Pop" should never exist and hopefully will never be mentioned again, darnabit!

The T's asking for progressive pop of dance-music, nobody but you've said prog. And it would be easy to find plenty of examples on more progressive music within most genres than what you've got on your playlist.

Do you think Queenrÿche is more progressive than Aphex Twin, David Holmes or Squarepusher?

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 12:36
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

Wait a second... why do we care if there is such a thing as progressive pop or dance?- I knew a guy who danced to Beefheart's Gonna Booglarize You - so I guess you can dance to just about anything you really want to

Right now I am dancing Allan Holdworth i.o.u. Jazz/fusion music
Mad air guitar from me

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 13:08
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Leftfield are definitely progressive for me...Smile

Yeah, I often see them referred to as Progressive House by their fans/critics. I haven't had the chance to listen to the Leftism album yet but I heard Open Up, can't really offer an opinion since I don't know a thing about House or dance music.

Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 14:07
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I'm OK with all of this and I thank you for the input... As long as nobody comes to me saying there's progressive-reggaeton.... (Big%20smile...only latinamericanswill know what atrocity I'm talking about)

Well, there's progressive Dub Reggae - have you heard "Dub Side of the Moon" or OK Computer (Radiodread) by the Easy-Star All-Stars?

(The former is very good, the latter is, well, OK...)

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 16:57
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Well, there's progressive Dub Reggae - have you heard "Dub Side of the Moon" or OK Computer (Radiodread) by the Easy-Star All-Stars?

Cert,  reggaeton and reggae are not the same genre. Reggaeton is probably the most dumb-down and superficial of the commercially successful genres out today. It's like a rap, but with the same exact beat in every song of every artist in the genre and the same superficial lyrics in every song of every artist in the genre. At least in the past it was slightly varied and less superficial.

-------------

Posted By: gong
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 23:51
Ohio Players (in the middle of '70's), Talking Heads, Prince, Peter Gabriel - i mean his "So" album - especialy "Sledge Hammer" the song from that album is such a perfect, lets say, progressive pop and / or dance, IMO. 

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by gong gong wrote:

Peter Gabriel - i mean his "So" album - especialy "Sledge Hammer" the song from that album is such a perfect, lets say, progressive pop and / or dance, IMO. 

Dammit, now it's stuck in my head again. Wacko

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: May 13 2007 at 23:59

Or..

Here are two examples of comments that truly irritate me.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Date Posted: May 14 2007 at 00:20
^^^ Sadly they just pop up, post an ignorant comment and leave without leaving a trace or even replying to what others have said.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2007 at 00:23
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

Originally posted by gong gong wrote:

Peter Gabriel - i mean his "So" album - especialy "Sledge Hammer" the song from that album is such a perfect, lets say, progressive pop and / or dance, IMO. 

Dammit, now it's stuck in my head again. Wacko

yeah...Smile....now i remmember my vacation and the atmosphere in some pretty huge disco bar located on IOS island, Greece, and when DJ goes on with thIs song, hundreds of young tourists (stoned by sun & beerCool) were crazy at all!

Date Posted: May 14 2007 at 02:44
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Cert,  reggaeton and reggae are not the same genre. Reggaeton is probably the most dumb-down and superficial of the commercially successful genres out today. It's like a rap, but with the same exact beat in every song of every artist in the genre and the same superficial lyrics in every song of every artist in the genre. At least in the past it was slightly varied and less superficial.

Yeah, I know - I was trying to plug Dub Side of the Moon as a non-rock Prog album, and this tenuous link seemed just the job Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2007 at 23:54
Oh! I see. Wink

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 08:49

Herbie Hancock - "Rockit"

how about Swing Out Sister

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 13:59

What "P" word...  Pop?Nah, prog is thrown around too loosely these days. Just about anybody can - in some miniscule way - be considered prog. Hell, my bro argued with me last week whether Greenday are prog or not... In fact, the word is used like the word love... how many people these days say it cause it's "the right thing to say". It's just silly I think, but prog and pop together, it's a major contradiction of terms IMO. Long live real Prog and may we soon forget that the popular stuff exists!

I look at the stuff in your sig and what do I see? Something I have no trouble calling prog pop. Easy listening stuff - stuff I happen to love, actually, but easy listening stuff nonetheless.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: May 20 2007 at 07:43
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

progressive trance dosent refer to the same thing as progressive rock, it has to do with the fact that the track progresses by slightly changing the beat to create build ups. Its fun music not really prog.

Tracks progressing to create build-ups is what a lot of Prog songs are about actually... TongueWink

Posted By: barney63
Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 08:21
Future Sound of London

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 10:23
80's pop, new wave and post-punk bordering progressive music - Ultravox, PiL. XTC. Stranglers...
Some goth/industrial music also utilise prog elements , Laibach...Einsturzende,
All the psychedelic pop bands from the sixties: Strawberry Alarm Clock, Seeds, Amen Corner, Move...
Loads of non-prog metal with some prog elemets - but I'm stretching the term "pop" too far here,
World music with pop elemets can also contain prog elemets...new age too...Andreas Wollenweider...
folk that is almost prog-folk...Loreena McKennit, Renbourn,
Many of the 60/70's classic rock bands can be defined as "prog related" in  a way...

Eclectic chameleons, such is David Bowie...

funky/bluesy/jazzy music with prog elements: check Jimmy Smith's "Sit On It".

And of course QUEEN deserves honorable mention in this category.Clap

EDIT:

I forgot about the youngsters: Skinny Puppy, Cocteau Twins, The Orb (FSOL and Air were already mentioned)

Hell, even reggae ! What about side-long piece "Living on a frontline" by Eddie Grant?

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 13:17
While we're on the subject of 1980s, my favourite non-rock bands from that time are Cabaret Voltaire and just about the entire On-U Sound stable - Mark Stewart and the Mafia particularly.

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: May 22 2007 at 17:17
Oh Oh, head for the hills, a new prog subgenre about to be debated for inclusion in PA !!!
Mind you , the "really" progressive pop acts are usually presented for admission under the prog related banner. XTC should be here.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 21:25
Progrssive Pop!?!?!??!!?
Sounds crazy....but there IS progressive Death Metal, Punk, and Rap.
So I'll bet it exists out there somewhere.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 21:32
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Progrssive Pop!?!?!??!!?

LOL oh how I love this forum .... 

progressive pop?...sure..... right here...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Asyte2c00
Date Posted: May 23 2007 at 21:40

Jean Michel Jarre could be considered progressive pop. 

Aero is his most contemporary prog/electro pop record.  His new album sounds like techo gone wrong. 

Age of Silence   and Geometry of Love are danceable Jarre albums. 

However, his progressive albums, Osygene, Equinoxe, and Magnetic Fields are amazing. 

It's possible to dance to "Magnetic Fields Part 5"  It's calm and easy to follow. 

Date Posted: May 24 2007 at 04:10
As I said before you can't ignoore Future Sound of London, but check out The Beloved - particularly 'Blissed Out' and 'Conscience'.  I knew the guitarist and he had a soft spot for Hillage.  Here's another sub-genre - Progressive Dub - oh yes - and the undiputed (only?) masters Dub Syndicate.  Wadada!

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: May 24 2007 at 04:26
In a Talking Heads biography the writer considered their album Speaking in Tongues as prog funk. I've only heard a couple of songs on that album so I don't know.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2007 at 04:36
Good desription of that Heads album.  There are strong prog elements to Remain in Light too imho, although Fear of music remains their best.  

Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 03:40

Roxy Music - 'FOR YOUR PLEASURE' Cool

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 11:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Progrssive Pop!?!?!??!!?

LOLLOLThumbs%20Up

have some clappies!

ClapClapClap

LOL

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 16:08
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Progrssive Pop!?!?!??!!?

LOLLOLThumbs%20Uphave some clappies! ClapClapClapLOL

And from me

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk