Print Page | Close Window

The Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37993
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 02:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre
Posted By: endlessepic
Subject: The Brain Salad Surgery Appreciation Thre
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 19:57
For fans of "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson Lake and Palmer:

Positively fantastic concept album. Let us discuss the merit of such a fantastic piece of work!

I would suggest reading Edward Macans synopsis of this album in "Endless Enigma"

What are your favorite tracks? what makes you love this album?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: raindance
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:09

Rolling Stone magazine recently said this was the greatest progressive rock album ever in a recent prog rock edition of the magazine.Clap

I've come to appreciate the bands adaption of Ginastrata's 'Toccata' over the years and Palmer's drumming at the time was revolutionary. The author of the piece himself said that the band captured it beautifully.

The whole album is superb!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:46

Before I really became a prog fan, I heard Toccata at a cousin's house on a nice stereo system, back in the '70's shortly after it was released.  I was a big fan of monster movies and sci-fi, so it had a lot of appeal to me.  I don't think I really appreciated the rest of it until I was older.

The album cover was way cool too.  I still have the vinyl.  An H.R. Geiger that opens up in the middle.  Had a major influence into the keyboard freak I am today.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Atomic_Rooster
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:47
Geiger is the best

-------------
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 20:47

BSS is definitely a masterpiece (It was the first prog album I ever listened to - way back at age 8!)

It seems like not many people around here like to give much credit to ELP Confused, which is very unfortunate.

The best song - if i had to choose - would be "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression"
(Yet there are really no low points on the album.)

Many times I hear people compain about "Benny The Bouncer" being "ELP's low point" in their career, but I love it!
- It's a great example of their sense of humor and has an entertaining bar-song quality.

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:06
The essence of masterliness

My favorite song is KE9(the whole thing), my favorite ELP song ever too. Benny The Bouncer is ok, there is a silly song like that on every album and it's my favorite of them all. Fantastic sleeve, fantastic music, masterpiece.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: patomtz
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:26
I havem't heard it! but I've many positive comments and reviews, so Im thinking of buying it!

-------------
I still can't get how Dream Theater music is created by humans

Dream Theater in Monterrey, Mexico   03.03.06   Unforgettable

Posted By: Evandro Martini
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 21:34
Tell me about th concept, please, because I never understoodd it.

I saw on Q magazine about album covers that the album was intended to be called "Whip some skull on ya!", and that both this expression and "Brain Salad Surgery" are slangs for fellatio. Tongue

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:42
I personally prefer Karn Evil 9 to Tarkus, great album overall. 

Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:43
The Concept...in a short summary
Inspired by Edward Macans thoughts on the concept

Brain Salad Surgery is a concept album dealing with human endurance and hope, and also with a prophetic foreword look at a technological takeover of mankind.

"Jerusalem" is a striving, hopeful outlook at the start of the album showing a pleasant world with only a few problems. "dark satanic mills" Oddly enough ELP were able to use songs they had not written in their concepts.

After the bold majestic ending chords of "Jerusalem," we hear a short dissonant bugle call...to an extent almost in mockery of the major key-ness of "Jerusalem"
Distant drums (Timpani) signal a coming of something that isn't quite in place with the previous track. "Toccata" comes in all of its fury unleashing a completely aggressive and unrelenting machinelike attack. It subsides into a percussion solo with various risings and falling signifying that fear and chaos of such an attack until it ends with reckless abandon...

"Still You Turn Me On" shows that amidst this chaos and thunder, love can live on, it shows the gentler side of ELP and brings some order and beauty to this monster which has been fully established so far.

"Benny the Bouncer" for what I can tell is either just a non-related bit of fun, or a sort of homage to the fact that no matter what happens, humans are still humans and won't find unity even if they are being attacked by some hideous force...I don't remember what Macan said about this track.

to be continued.

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:49
Brain Salad Surgery started my progressive journey. I heard it for the first time in my freshman year, an introduction by my father. I didn't even know what prog was before then. That album changed my life.

It started the whole thing for me. It's the reason I'm here on this site.

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:57
Originally posted by patomtz patomtz wrote:

I havem't heard it! but I've many positive comments and reviews, so Im thinking of buying it!

Don't think, man... Just DO IT! Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 22:57
Karn Evil 9 is where what is already established breaks loose in totality.

It appears that in the First Impression part 1, technology or computers or whatever it is, has taken over. A hero figure is striving to "help the helpless and the refugees, to protect what's left of humanity" but as we come into the 2nd part, it is apparent that humans and various things that are associated with humanity are being used as carnival attractions.

The 2nd impression is instrumental and totally amazing in that respect, we see a few themes from the first impression and even a call or two from toccata. There are numerous mood changes which could be linked to the fight or hope/hopelessness. Amidst all that it is still a bloody good song with an awesome ambient section and amazing trio interplay.

The 3rd impression is the "all pomp and no circumstance" part of the epic. I think this one signifies a huge amount of conceptualization in and of itself. It is very majestic and calls back to the beauty of "Jerusalem"
What is awesome is that when you listen to this with the concept in mind, the organ solos are not "mindless noodling strictly for showing off KE's skills," They are a full blown story played out in the repetitive notes (sounds like a cold unemotional computer) and the organ swells (clashes and fights)
After the very eerie and technically stunning middle section we return to a pseudo-majestic part, it seems back to normal but some holdover bits from the previous section suggest that all is not well. When we hear Greg Lake sing "Rejoice Glory is ours, our young men have no died in vain" one would think that humans have one in entirety, but as one listens forward "their graves need no flowers, the tapes have recorded their names" it clearly shows technology has won and humans are just a part of it. The fading synthesizer at the end shows the cold repetitive truth of what has happened...humans have not won...

All in all is an amazing sounding record, so much good organ and such that one digs it just for all the great sound, but the concept is also very interesting. I do think that if people really give it the time of day it is very very enjoyable!

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: May 15 2007 at 23:00
Hmmmmmmm... such a big classic and masterpiece album! My favorites are the totally mind blowing Tocatta and the masterpiece epic Karn Evil 9 (I used to have a constant addiction with the first impression). The other ones are great, standing out Still You Turn Me On.

Why do I like it? I knew the band by this disc, and I was TOTALLY blown away by Keith's playing and ELP's music; also, I just simply enjoy a lot listening to the album, AND, I don't know if this happens to you too, but Brain Salad Surgery gives me a lot of energy whenever I listen to it, comething very curious, I guess it's because of the big dynamism of the music.

BRAIN SALAD SURGERY ROCKS!!!!

"Come inside, the show's about to start, guaranteed to blow your head apart..." Approve

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Barla/?chartstyle=LastfmMyspace">

Posted By: ozzy_tom
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:16
This my number 2 in my whole discography ! (only Tarkus is better for me :-). The whole album is brilliant..even Benny The Bouncer isn't as bad as people say, it's justa good music joke. Toccata is one of the weirdest thing I've ever listened to and Karn Evil 9 is just super. It beats all the other suites like "Close to the Edge", "Supper's ready", "Thick as a brick" or "Atom Heart Mother" ! Karn Evil 9 is a suite that defined the whole genre for me...and it doesn't matter that it was created after the rest of well-known epics, they just take from them everything what's the best and most "Typical" for progressive rock.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:20

Is it really a concept album?

How do Benny the Bouncer and Still You Turn Me On fit into the concept?

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benny was a very attractive man

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Benny was a very attractive man

LOL

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 07:30
Not a concept album.

Don't think this is the place for this thread either. I mean the ELP appreciation thread belongs here, but a specific album? Whats the point?

Albums need to be discussed in the "Prog Recommendations/Featured Albums"
section., but no need to put appreciation in it. Unless...ah I understand, you are not allowed to criticize BSS in this thread.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:11
If you guys check out my post I think those 2 songs fit into the concept. Also, why not appreciate thread this album? It holds water. We just want to talk about one of the greatest albums of all time.

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:33
My first ELP album. Love it till today. KE( was the obvious center of my attention, but by now I think Toccata, KE( 2nd impression and my all-time favourite Blake's Jerusalem are the true gems.

Always loved Benny the Bouncer. I'm not a Zappa fan, but this piece is a good case for the "does humor belong to music" argument.

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: willy
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:42
This was my first favorite ELP album.  The more I listen to trilogy the more I like it, but BSS is still probably my favorite.

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:43
Originally posted by endlessepic endlessepic wrote:

If you guys check out my post I think those 2 songs fit into the concept. Also, why not appreciate thread this album? It holds water. We just want to talk about one of the greatest albums of all time.

Its not a concept album.

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:48
Best ELP album and one of my all time favorites!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:00
Yes, one of the classics of prog, I think it's my favorite ELP record (though I vacillate between it and the debut).  The KE9 suite is superb - maybe the best prog ever to be a really popular single (1st impression Pt. 2).  I still laugh thinking about my wife (gf at the time) coming into my dorm room one time when the "video game" section of Toccata was playing...the look was priceless.  Wink

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:15
ELPs best and no doubt 1 of the best prog albums ever. Love it ! Heart 

And i read about it in Mojo best albums of all time.. something like after this masterpice ELP hade taken prog to the edge thier where no place for me to go after it. And i have to agree.

I also named my char in a online game i play too Toccata many italian people start talking with thinking im italian hehe.. no one have said anything about ELP yet but some knew it was a classical song.. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: cookieacquired
Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:20
First (& only) ELP album that I have

I should get Tarkus now

but I loooooove Karn-evil (all of it)

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Its not a concept album.

With all due respect, it is. The band themselves said it was. It may not be as blatant a concept as something else like "The Lamb" or "The Wall" but it still has a concept.

I just bought it on vynil today! I had the cd but not the actual record.

Date Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by cookieacquired cookieacquired wrote:

First (& only) ELP album that I have

I should get Tarkus now

but I loooooove Karn-evil (all of it)

Get trilogy. Tarkus is good but its not the 2nd best. Also the debut album is awesome!

Posted By: oracus
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 00:11
Wonderfull album! For me is the ideal prog album to show what prog sounds! Karnevil is the strongest track indeed :D
Also, i have it in a special place in my heart because it was my father's favourite in his teenage years

-------------

Posted By: darksideof
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 02:09
Just like amy of us here this one album was one of my first prog albums I heard more that 20 years ago and still is one of my favorite ELP album. great memories. Killer Organ solos wasome!!!!
I havent' listen to it in a while.Ssince I started visiting this site I have been listening and buying so many new bands so cool. Any way back to the subject Brain Salad is a brilliant art piece and prog collection without isn;t complete.!!
I aso If you're big of fan of the ELP you should check Triumvirat and 70's LE Ormea and EGG the legendary keys dave stewart's first band before Hartifeld and national health.

-------------
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/

Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 07:02
If you want to talk about ELp in general, feel free to use the....

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32545&PID=2493072#2493072 - ELP Appreciation Thread.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 07:39

Its not a concept album.

With all due respect, it is. The band themselves said it was. It may not be as blatant a concept as something else like "The Lamb" or "The Wall" but it still has a concept.

No it isn't. Where do the band say it was? As a fan for 32 years I never heard it.. I read your summary of the "concept". I thought it was a load of bull to be honest.

-------------

Posted By: pero
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 08:55
The UK based ELP magazine Impressions, which was started after a highly successful 25th Anniversary ELP Convention in Birmingham, England in September 1995, has now been going for nearly two years. In that time, we have featured exclusive interviews with a member of the band in every issue, as well as a string of other interesting articles and features. Probably one of the most interesting tasks we have tackled, is to try and find out which ELP albums and tracks are the most popular amongst the fans. As far as we know, no surveys of this kind had been done before and it was time to put the fans' preferences to the test!

The two surveys Impressions did, one for best album and one for best tracks, has provided the most accurate information about the back catalogue. This is, in fact, the first time any sort of accurate information, other than record sales, has been available and we would argue that a retrospective survey is much better than via a contemporary method, i.e. the market place at the time. There are a lot of factors that make up a best seller and some of them are not connected to the music. For example, the new Oasis album will sell on the strength of what people have heard before and such is the expectancy, it will probably be the most successful before most people have even hear it. Our ELP surveys established the most popular albums and tracks, based on the MUSIC - which is, after all what it is all about and what we love ELP for!

It is common knowledge that for a large number of fans, the first five albums range as the pinnacle of the band's career, ELP being on top of their creativity. Let's find out a bit more detail:

Both surveys confirm, beyond all doubt, that BRAIN SALAD SURGERY is the TOP album in every category. This has certainly justified the album being released in many differing formats in recent years - special editions and, recently, even vinyl! Thus, each record company had gone along with number five being special. Impressions even took it's name from ELP's most musically defining moment! So, even before the surveys were done, there was the awareness that Brain Salad Surgery was very special!

Almost four hundred die-hard fans took part in the two surveys. The first survey revealed a thundering victory for Brain Salad Surgery with 334 points, with Trilogy in second place, floundering with 219 points. Tarkus was not far behind that. This is the final result of that survey:

1) BRAIN SALAD SURGERY (334 points)
2) TRILOGY (219 points)
3) TARKUS (208 points)
4) WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS... (160 points)
5) EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER (125 points)
6) PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (113 points)
7) WORKS VOLUME 1 (80 points)
8) BLACK MOON (74 points)
9) LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL (42 points)
10) WORKS LIVE (12 points)
11) IN THE HOT SEAT (7 points)
12) WORKS VOLUME 2 (5 points)
13) LOVE BEACH (3 points)

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 12:11
Each time ELP brought out an album I did not think it could be bettered. Sadly Brain Salad Surgery was the last of these, although there were other good albums. The ultimate ELP material for me is the Royal Albert Hall performance of Pictures at an Exhibition in 1992 (for the BBC). After all these years I still have not been able to track it down.  

PS. Can anyone point out the necessity of the repetitive animations creeping into these postings?

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: May 17 2007 at 16:30
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

. The ultimate ELP material for me is the Royal Albert Hall performance of Pictures at an Exhibition in 1992 (for the BBC). After all these years I still have not been able to track it down.  

That DVD has been knocking around for a few years now. Although only recently released in the UK, I bought a USA import about five years ago. The import is far better as it is 5:1 dolby digital, whilst the recently released UK version is only dolby digital stereo.

Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 10:12

Its not a concept album.

No it isn't. Where do the band say it was? As a fan for 32 years I never heard it.. I read your summary of the "concept". I thought it was a load of bull to be honest.

Well thanks for the...uhh...upfrontness. Do you have the special edition BSS cd? Listen to the last "bonus" track. There you will hear Keith and Greg discussing the concept. Also, have you read Macans Endless Enigma book? Good literature and that might give you some insight into the concepts. (I know that he is not ELP but he has some very good thoughts on the subject)

Date Posted: May 18 2007 at 10:24

Its not a concept album.

Well thanks for the...uhh...upfrontness. Do you have the special edition BSS cd? Listen to the last "bonus" track. There you will hear Keith and Greg discussing the concept. Also, have you read Macans Endless Enigma book? Good literature and that might give you some insight into the concepts. (I know that he is not ELP but he has some very good thoughts on the subject)

As BSS is not a concept, they are probably talking abot KE9. This other guy doesn't interest me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk