URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38971
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Zorn
Posted By: Drakk
Subject: John Zorn
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:11
Well, what to say?

I've recently been getting into his work after finding a copy of Naken City in a local record store for 10 bucks. Quite frankly, I loved that album very much, and it made me look into his other words.

Obviously, as those who have heard him, it's not for everyone, but he has some of the best modern Avant-Whatever music around today. Sometimes I find it a little heavy going, but overall I find this man is one of the leading Avant Figures in music today.

So, any else here a fan? (Or not )

-------------
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]

Replies:
Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:20
He is a furious man. I recently heard a "cover" he did for the Kurt Weill tribute album. It was as fierce and hard in the ears as almost everything by him. Weird, great musician, sometimes impossible to listen.

-------------
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Posted By: lightbulb_son
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:23
I bought Astronome, and I am still struggling to get why so many people think he's a genius. I'm going to continue listening in the hope of some revelation.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: Reverie
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:31
At first i didn't think Astronome was as brilliant as everyone made it out to be, but it soon clicked. Having said that, i was already a fan of his style before hearing it, so it's a different situation it seems.

I think he's fantastic. Naked City is brilliant (the whole discography), his classical stuff is great, his improv skills are unique and again great. Sometimes i'm just not in the mood for his strong character and i want something less coarse. But then he has music that would fit into most moods. In short, he's one of my very favourite musicians.

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:36
I personally enjoy his Naked City Project and Album quite a bit, there are some albums I really can't get into, mainly as they're too avant garde for my tastes, the noise music doesn't do it for me. But he is quite the innovator, at least in the Jazz area.

-------------

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:43
I'm not a "fan" per se, but I do enjoy his music. I think sometimes he can be a bit too much, but then you have whole discography to make up for it. Having said that. I still haven't found an album of his that has blown me away.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I'm not a "fan" per se, but I do enjoy his music. I think sometimes he can be a bit too much, but then you have whole discography to make up for it. Having said that. I still haven't found an album of his that has blown me away.

Well, I'm guessing it's not because you dislike inaccessible bands, judging from your signature (GY!BE is one of my all time favorite bands as well. )

But have you listened to Naked City? It's truly and interesting album, and easily a 5 star album in my book. Then again, different strokes for different folks, but if you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it.

-------------

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 21:59
I'm a fan of the avant-garde genre so that isn't really a problem. Smile

I have heard it, actually. It's a good album, but maybe I still haven't heard it enough to say it's mind blowing. Maybe a couple of listen more could do the trick? Ermm

I first started with his Crowley trilogy (Moonchild, Astronome, Six Litanies ect) and I enjoyed Astronome more than the other two albums. I should get more albums from him though. I've heard his Film works are quite good.

-------------

Posted By: MusicForSpeedin
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 23:27
His Film works are amazingly peaceful

I think the latest Crowley trilogy thing is amazing. It blew my mindWacko

Zorn has soooo much for everyone.

Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 23:29
Zorn is for the People. And i like that

-------------

Posted By: moebius
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 23:52
I love Zorn, but the noise in "music for children" seems to much for me... its almost a joke! 

Anyway, I´m a fan of Naked City and Masada... and of course how not to mention the alto sax solo in "Love is a fist" by Mr. Bungle. Crazy stuff.

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: June 12 2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

I bought Astronome, and I am still struggling to get why so many people think he's a genius. I'm going to continue listening in the hope of some revelation.
You might want to try Masada instead. I hear 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 4: Electric Masada is very good and more accessible than the Astronome-type stuff. However, I haven't heard it yet, so I can't personally recommend it. But there are a bunch of Masada videos on Youtube. And it's instrumental, so you don't have to deal with Patton or The Eye randomly screaming at you. ;-)

Are Masada Recital and the Filmworks Anthology good?

Posted By: NotSoKoolAid
Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 00:09
Electric Masada and Masada are the greatest things John Zorn has ever done, if you enjoy jazz fusion in the least bit and you don't check out Electric Masada you're an idiot. So now you knowBig%20smile.

Of course that's my opinion.

I'd call Naked City a "Fun" listen, Zorn's gone far beyond that through his already very extensive career.

Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 00:32
His Electric Masada projects are indeed quite good. I have his Bar Kohkba album and it's a double CD goodness for fans of jazz and middle eastern music. I'm not a big fan of both, but I do enjoy this release.

-------------

Posted By: giantenemycrab
Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 01:20
Clap

John Zorn is an excellent avant musician. While I don't particularly like avant music a whole lot,   John Zorn is certainly my personal favorite.   His music is so odd, so inaccessible...  I love it!   LOL

I also have listened to Naked City.   This is one of my favorite cds out of his many, many, many, many other albums.(I didn't even bother to try to count them all..) LOL

Posted By: blazno
Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 07:30
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

Electric Masada and Masada are the greatest things John Zorn has ever done, if you enjoy jazz fusion in the least bit and you don't check out Electric Masada you're an idiot. So now you knowBig%20smile.

Of course that's my opinion.

I'd call Naked City a "Fun" listen, Zorn's gone far beyond that through his already very extensive career.

I agree. I needed about 2 listens "to get into" Naked City but now I consider it a very amusing and enjoyable band.

-------------

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 12:13
his recent "opera" was pretty great.

Posted By: kingofbizzare
Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 12:29
John Zorn is amazing, I love extremely intense music, but unfortunately most other people don't so I can't play it as loud as I should. I have Buried Secret/Guts Of A Virgin by Pain Killer and it's pretty awesome. I also just picked up Moonchild, Astronome, and Six Litanies For Heliogabalus, and I love them (especially the newest one). I plan on picking up Naked City sometime soon.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingofbizzare/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk