Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39128
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 06:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: jethro tull vs strawbs
Posted By: kenethlevine
Subject: jethro tull vs strawbs
Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 23:12
While Tull is by far the most successful of the folk-influenced prog groups, Strawbs might be second.  They both have vocalists that people either love or hate, feature intelligent songwriting, strong musicianship, more than passing references to old Englishe folk, especially on certain albums, and are both still around amazingly.  While it's not exactly apples to apples, it might be more so than Camel vs Rush.  Vote away!

Replies:
Posted By: raindance2007
Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 23:43
I have 1 Strawbs album which is quite cool. But I have the whole Tull catalogue. I rate Tull better than Yes and Genesis, so it would be a tough for the Strawbs to rank close to Tull. But I look forward to more Strawbs cd's Smile

Posted By: puma
Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 23:45
The Strawbs are probably my favorite band. Even though Tull was my first real "prog" band, thanks to the radio singles, the Strawbs's  music just grasps me in a way no other band's music does

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: June 17 2007 at 23:55
At this point, two of my favorite bands. The Strawbs may be really good, but Tull at its prime was a force to be reckoned with, one that The Strawbs can never match. Close, but Jethro Tull

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Baza
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 05:01
Don't care too much for Tull, surprisingly, I go with the Strawbs because they made 2 good albums - From the witchwood & Grave new world. But their next 3 albums kind of suck, except a couple of songs, don't be fooled by the good reviews they get, read Hugues Chantraine reviews to understand. :-)

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 05:03
I vote for Tull but only because I discovered Tull in 1988 and Strawbs in 2005!!!

-------------

Posted By: Cold Deep
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 07:41
Jethro Tull is the first folk-band I've listened,
in this kind I appreciate Strawbs, Mostly Autumn, Fairport Convention, Indaco, Gazpacho and man more bands

-------------
Remember, the death is not the end, but only a transition

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 07:42
Strawbs by a small margin.

Tull never did anything to quite match From the Witchwood and Grave New World, good though Thick as a Brick,  Aqualung and Songs From the Wood are.

Hero and Heroine and Ghosts are also excellent.

Sadly, both bands produced some drivel in the late 70s.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: prognose
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 07:52
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Strawbs by a small margin.

Tull never did anything to quite match From the Witchwood and Grave New World, good though Thick as a Brick,  Aqualung and Songs From the Wood are.

Hero and Heroine and Ghosts are also excellent.

Sadly, both bands produced some drivel in the late 70s.

Thick as a brick is nothing short of brilliant. Heavy horses is awesome and a touch better than Songs from the wood

Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 08:34
Originally posted by Baza Baza wrote:

Don't care too much for Tull, surprisingly, I go with the Strawbs because they made 2 good albums - From the witchwood & Grave new world. But their next 3 albums kind of suck, except a couple of songs, don't be fooled by the good reviews they get, read Hugues Chantraine reviews to understand. :-)

I just looked at those reviews and they seem a bit vitriolic (referring the the apple being rotten is not really very nice!  Cry).  The main criticisms seem to be around abandoning their roots, which I'd argue is what made strawbs a lot more groundbreaking than, say Fairport Convention or Steeleye Span.  They took chances.  Also, there was some discussion about how some songs, without the mellotron, would be uninteresting.  I don't agree with that because most of them would still be engaging folky songs - listen to Baroque and Roll for an idea of how that plays out.  But I wonder if KC's Epitaph would sound as good without mellotron.  Big%20smile

Yes, Strawbs do go for the verse-chorus -verse approach.  But they did in From the Witchwood too, as they did in all their early albums.  It's their heritage, and they did certainly stray from that.  Verse 2 of H&H is rather different from the other verses!  (it''s the basically acapella verse).  

Also, Lay Down is one of the greatest rock songs ever to hit the charts.  Stormy Down was another great little song from Bursting at The Seams - see my review.    The fact that ithey have a counttry music influence does not enter the picture for me.  It shows Strawbs range of influences.  Even the most Scottish sounding rock band on earth, Runrig, has plenty of country influences.

Posted By: Eerichtho
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 08:53
Tull

Posted By: proglil49
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 09:28
Tull. TAAB is my favorite album.

-------------
I want to be an astronaut

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 09:43
Both bands are fantasticly good, but even though all Strawbs albums from 71-75 are excellent, Tull wins for having Passion Play (one of my alltime favorites) and TAAB.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 16:16
Thumbs%20UpI love EVERY Tull album except UNDER WRAPS so guess who win??

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: June 18 2007 at 22:13
I voted, of course, for Tull. But if there were a second best prog folk group, it must be Traffic, not Strawbs IMHO.  Tongue

Posted By: prognose
Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 05:30
I heard Grave new world and wasn't overly impressed on the first listen. I really like Hero and Heroin though

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:40
Only the Strawbs album(s) where Wakeman was on keys.  Otherwise, I vote for Tull every time....

Posted By: progbaby
Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 11:58
IHMO, The Strawbs do it way more for me than Tull.   Never had a reason why.   Seems like the melodies and songs are more moodier and etheral.

"Two Weeks Last Summer" by David Cousins from 1972 is just as good as any of the Strawbs best albums.

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:34
STRAWBS for me!!!!

Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 16:16
Originally posted by progbaby progbaby wrote:

IHMO, The Strawbs do it way more for me than Tull.   Never had a reason why.   Seems like the melodies and songs are more moodier and etheral.

"Two Weeks Last Summer" by David Cousins from 1972 is just as good as any of the Strawbs best albums.

He has a new one coming out this month, "The Boy in the Sailor Suit".  It includes a lot of the same people who were on TWLS.  Initial reports are very positive

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: June 19 2007 at 22:10
I like both bands, but the Strawbs were one of the first prog bands I found (by accident) that was not among the major groups like Tull, Kc, Genesis, Yes.  I immediately fell in love and continue to promote their gloriousness because apparently not many people are aware of their existence.  Also I enjoy their eclecticness a bit better than Tull's.

Posted By: Pyk Owrno Zes
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 00:42
Well, Tull is my favourite band of all time, so I'm going with them.

Anyone who knows what my name means gets an e-high five.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 01:11
Originally posted by Pyk Owrno Zes Pyk Owrno Zes wrote:

Well, Tull is my favourite band of all time, so I'm going with them.

Anyone who knows what my name means gets an e-high five.
That would be "pick our noses."

Do you like my nose? I picked it myself! Wink

I quite like both bands, BTW, but I have far, far more Tull albums (15), so JT it must be.

Now goodnight! Sleepy

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Pyk Owrno Zes
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 02:35
Yeah, its from the inside of the Thick as a Brick cover.  Its under TV times.

What Tull albums do you have?  I have This Was - Stormwatch.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 04:08
I went for Strawbs, partly because Grave New World is one of my favourite albums.

New World is an incredibly powerful song both musically and lyrically and Queen of Hearts is a progressive rock gem that is almost totally overlooked (even by the Strawns themselves who excluded it from their video of the album).  With the exception of one short track the whole album fits together beautifully to the extent that it could be counted as a concept album - it's not at all clear what the concept might be (you could say the same about Dark Side of the Moon) but it just has that feel about it.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 07:26
Jethro Tull one of my fav bands ever, but i like also Strawbs but not so much. Anyway both are good

Posted By: GentleGiant
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 07:44
Jethro Tull Thumbs%20Up

-------------
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 12:15
Ken, you seemingly know how to torture! Choosing between two powerhouses, pffffff! Thick as a Brick or Hero & Heroine? Well, Hero is my 2nd fave album all-time with the Tull not far behind. Impossible to decide, even though I loathe tie scores and rarely do resort to neutral surrender, here I just simply can't ! Ermm

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 12:19
Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

I went for Strawbs, partly because Grave New World is one of my favourite albums.

New World is an incredibly powerful song both musically and lyrically and Queen of Hearts is a progressive rock gem that is almost totally overlooked (even by the Strawns themselves who excluded it from their video of the album).  With the exception of one short track the whole album fits together beautifully to the extent that it could be counted as a concept album - it's not at all clear what the concept might be (you could say the same about Dark Side of the Moon) but it just has that feel about it.

Hey 10, it's Queen of Dreams and not Hearts , you must have been watching the original Manchurian Candidate (or you are a poker playerLOL). I think its a masterful tune that is in my top 50 all-time, so I am a fan. Deal, pleaseConfused

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 13:23
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

I voted, of course, for Tull. But if there were a second best prog folk group, it must be Traffic, not Strawbs IMHO.  Tongue

Traffic as folk? Interesting. Indulge me if you would.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 13:36
I really hate to compare them, Jethro Tull is an icon oof Prog Folk being a very eclectic band, they never completely left behind their blues roots and their Rock spirit, to the point that In the Crest of a Knave incredibly won the Heavy Metal Grammy in 1989.

On the other hand Strawbs being a 100% Progressive Rock band is clearly and almost exclusively rooted in Bituish Celtic and Renaissance Folk, more in the line of Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span.

I like both bands, depending in the mood I'm into,. no Strawbs album will be as important as Thick as a Brick, but oin the other hand, there is no Jethro song that IMO is bnbetter than The Hangman and the Papist, one of the most touching moments in Prog.

Will vote for the one that is loosing.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 18:27
Not a Tull fan except for a couple of toons. I prefer the Strawbs.

Posted By: cohen34
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 18:42
I picked JT because Ive heard alot of their stuff. Its not that their discographie's flawless, there are some bad apples out there, Ive just got more material to draw on.

However, I think the Strawbs are a great band. In particular, From The Witchwood and GNW are both wonderful albums that see alot of time on my turntable  

-------------
Life is short, the art is long - Hippocrates

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: June 21 2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by ten years after ten years after wrote:

Hey 10, it's Queen of Dreams and not Hearts , you must have been watching the original Manchurian Candidate (or you are a poker playerLOL). I think its a masterful tune that is in my top 50 all-time, so I am a fan. Deal, pleaseConfused

Neither, i was watching the football on the TV so i  was probably not concentrating as much as i should.  It is in my top 50 also (as is New World).  Close to the Edge (3) and the Yes Album are the only other albums with more than one track in my top 50.

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: June 22 2008 at 02:17
I like the Tull but my heart lies with the Strawbs and their brilliant music.

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: June 22 2008 at 14:22
Both wonderful bands bu Tull remains the best and my favourite one!!

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: June 22 2008 at 14:24
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Both wonderful bands bu Tull remains the best and my favourite one!!

Indeed. Jethro Tull is the more stable band in terms of quality output according to me, but Strawbs have a couple of really good albums and even more killer tracks.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk