Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39246
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 01:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Sleep/Dream poll
Posted By: Zitro
Subject: The Sleep/Dream poll
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 14:35
You may vote multiple times (to choose more than one choice).

Which of these things have you experienced ... as an adult/teenage.

To clarify:

_Falling Sensation is like feeling as if the bed is falling in free-fall style (or other falling sensations for others) when you are just dozing off or waking up. Hypnic Jerk is the body spasm when that feeling happens.

_Sleep Paralysis is being unable to move in any way for a short amount of time after waking up or before dozing off. Sleep paralysis is almost always present in deep stages of sleep so that you don't act out dreams and injure yourself.

_Night terrors are not nightmares. Night terrors is waking up somewhat shortly after beginning sleep with a huge alarmed/terrified feeling. You are not in deep sleep yet, so your body is awake and unparalyzed while your mind brings terrifying hallucinations like shadows, dead babies, and sometimes feelings of being touched. However, some people don't recall these situations afterwards.

Lucid Dream: Beingable to realize you are dreaming in a dream and because that happens, you can control the dream as you want to ... maybe make love to annie haslem or the guy from Pain of Salvation :P

Replies:
Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 14:37
i often get those lucid dream recently

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 16:18
I'm pretty sure I had sleep paralysis once except I thought it was a dream....kinda hard to explain it really

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 16:22
I've only ever experienced sleep paralysis from those you listed.  But you forgot to include "wet dreams" Wink

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 16:27
I have the falling experience on occasion along with weird spasms. Other than that, nothing. I can rarely remember my dreams for that matter too. 

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 16:30
Naaahhh! I hate those hypnagogic jerks! They freak me out.

The number of times I've woken myself up thinking I've missed my footing or stepped off a cliff, only to find I've kicked the cat off the bed in my sleep.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:04
Well, if I put 'wet dream' I would be tempted to keep putting parasomnia disorders and the list would get huge.

I find these choices interesting for adults like us, though I don't really believe in Out of Body experiences [yet].

I'm sorry for whoever voted for "Night Terrors" ... I researched a bit and it's frightening. Well, depends on the severity of them.

PS: I voted for the falling sensation. While terrifying at first, it's sort of neat Tongue

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:07

I've had hypnic jerk quite a few times, but I didn't know what it was called until know.

Lucid dreams from time to time, usually shortly before I wake up.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:11
hypnagogic jerks are weird for me...they used to freak me out but  I have them so frequently that I dismiss them as normal and can kinda laugh at them...

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:11
there seems to be some confusion; Lucid Dream and Falling Sensation were West Coast psych bands, albums now very rare. Hypnic Jerk was a proto-punk band from Swindon and Sleep Paralysis is prog metal from Brazil.

Posted By: martinn
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:12
Oh, I've had the falling sensation a couple of times...its cooooolApprove

-------------

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:15
I rarely dream when I sleep, so I can't say that I remember ever experienceing that sort of stuff.

I would have voted nightmares, but I believe theat Night Tremors/Terrors are different than your average nightmare, am I correct?

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:23
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

I'm sorry for whoever voted for "Night Terrors" ... I researched a bit and it's frightening. Well, depends on the severity of them.

Embarrassed That was me. I use to have them as a kid, I don't remember them but my parents told me that they couldn't get me to lie down after because I said the pillow was 'spikey'. When I grew older they stopped about the same time as migraines started, so I think they may be related, or even just a child's interpretation of a migraine. Lucky, I haven't had a migraine since I stopped drinking instant coffee. But enough about me, how was your day Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 20:48
haha, I should modify the poll to relate to 'adulthood' as some of these things can be much more common when being a child (mostly night terrors and sleepwalking)

Night terror caught on film (Lower the volume a lot after 0:12 .. there's intense screaming)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quVJ5ZeVn_U&mode=related&search=

Posted By: asimplemistake
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 22:17
Well I'm not quite an adult yet so I'm not going to vote...

BUT I have had that falling thing before, and supposedly when I was very young I had Night Terrors a lot (my parents tell me, I don't remember cause I was too young).  Supposedly one time we were camping on a beach when I had a night terror and the people near us thought I was being beat by my parents.  I can't remember the terrors now, but I bet they were scary.

One time after waking up I had a cramp in my leg, but I don't think it was Sleep Paralysis, because I had done 300 squats the night before in Karate.

EDIT:  Just saw the thing "as an adult/teenager" so I am going to vote for Falling Feeling, but I wont vote for (but have had as a child) Night Terrors and Sleepwalking.

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: June 21 2007 at 22:31
I've had hypnic (spelling?) jerk.  Sometimes I'm sleeping (I think usually at the beginning of sleep) and then my whole body has a spasm.   

I've definitely had lucid dreams before. 

And I think I went sleepwalking once.  I went to sleep in my bed and then woke up later in a different room.  (I don't know if that counts).

I also fell out of my bed a few months ago back in my dorm room, which hurt a lot because it was a hard floor and my bed there was higher than my bed at home. 

And I think my cousin had sleep paralysis once and it scared the hell out of him.

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 02:11
I've definitely had Night Terrors (don't remember any of them but I gather that I was scared to death of my brother) and that happened once a month or so until I got better control of my blood sugar via an insulin pump (I'm diabetic). Apparently I would be in a state of hypoglycemia and start moaning and groaning and have this weird look in my eyes and start screaming when my brother came in.

I've also had sleep paralysis before, that was weird and freaky since I had heard of them before.

I never get a full Lucid Dream. By the time I realize I'm dreaming and start manipulating it, I wake up.

And I have those hypnic jerk things from time to time.

When I was little enough to share a bed with my brother (I was about 5 to 7), I would end up kicking him off and wake up hanging over the edge of the bed. I would wake up with a falling sensation and then actually fall off the bed

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 02:19
I had all except Astral Projections.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 02:27
Oh and I just remembered one time when I woke up downstairs even though I had gone to bed upstairs and apparently I was talking to my parents, but I distinctly remember walking up in a different part of the house and I was told that I walked there myself.

So I guess I've had all except Out of Body Experiences/Astral Projections.

I've also had many experiences of false awakening.

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 02:29
Gosh these prog band names are getting weirder and weirder...

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 08:29
I often have hypnic jerks, and falling sensations. When I was a kid I would be able to jump off the top of our stairs and float away too (in my dreams, that is... )

I still have quite frequent lucid dreams, which get quite involved and detailed. Often something resembling a plot starts to unfold in them. I once dreamt I was lying on the sofa in my girlfriends house watching TV after she had gone to bed. There were no lights on in the house. The door bell rang, and when I went to answer the door I noticed that it was a different front door to normal, and that car headlights were shining through the glass. At that point I realised I was dreaming. I opened the door and was confronted by this huge menacing looking guy who puled a knife on me, and threatened to kill me. Nonchalantly I invited him in and calmly explained to him that he couldn't hurt me because I was only dreaming. He demanded that I prove it so I lit a cigarette and stubbed it out on my arm. I remember kind of jerking, but certainly felt no pain. I remember him looking terrified, at which point he dropped the knife. I picked it up and started threatening him with it, claiming that as it was my dream I COULD kill him. I remember shouting abuse at him, but the sound wasn't coming out. I was completely silent and hoarse. I woke up at that point with my very concerned looking girlfriend looking down at me, saying 'What the f**k were you dreaming about?'

It felt a bit 'Elm Street' at the time! I've had some quite pleasant and plenty of uneventful lucid dreams too.

Posted By: purplepiper
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:20
I have on several occasions realized I was dreaming, and gained control of the dream. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did...

-------------
for those about to prog, we salute you.

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I often have hypnic jerks, and falling sensations. When I was a kid I would be able to jump off the top of our stairs and float away too (in my dreams, that is... )

I still have quite frequent lucid dreams, which get quite involved and detailed. Often something resembling a plot starts to unfold in them. I once dreamt I was lying on the sofa in my girlfriends house watching TV after she had gone to bed. There were no lights on in the house. The door bell rang, and when I went to answer the door I noticed that it was a different front door to normal, and that car headlights were shining through the glass. At that point I realised I was dreaming. I opened the door and was confronted by this huge menacing looking guy who puled a knife on me, and threatened to kill me. Nonchalantly I invited him in and calmly explained to him that he couldn't hurt me because I was only dreaming. He demanded that I prove it so I lit a cigarette and stubbed it out on my arm. I remember kind of jerking, but certainly felt no pain. I remember him looking terrified, at which point he dropped the knife. I picked it up and started threatening him with it, claiming that as it was my dream I COULD kill him. I remember shouting abuse at him, but the sound wasn't coming out. I was completely silent and hoarse. I woke up at that point with my very concerned looking girlfriend looking down at me, saying 'What the f**k were you dreaming about?'

It felt a bit 'Elm Street' at the time! I've had some quite pleasant and plenty of uneventful lucid dreams too.

I actually had a dream in which Freddy tried to kill me....imagine how scary that was Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I actually had a dream in which Freddy tried to kill me....imagine how scary that was Shocked

You know you're in trouble if your friends at school also start dreaming about him...

One two, he's coming for you, three four, better lock your door....

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 06:24
Falling Sensation I get quite often.

I have had only a few lucid dreams and they have a very odd effect on me.I am out of the loop for at least half a day.

I used to sleepwalk during puberty...amongst other pubescent nocturnal happenings.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Date Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:16
Hey, im reviving my poll because I had my first lucid dream (I'm also voting for it)

I'm at work in a supermarket and around 6pm (everything looks very similar to the real place), I realized that I have a university class at 6:30pm. It's weird that they would put me to work at a time I really can't work. So, I go to talk to my manager about the problem and halfway, I was realizing that what was going on couldn't be possible. I said aloud something like "It can't be that I'm working when I have to go to class, but my class is really at 12:30pm, this is a dream". When I said "this is a dream", all the surroundings got brighter and more colorful. Since I realized I'm dreaming and I knew something about people controlling the dreams, I tried. I willed myself to levitate successfully to the awe of my boss, and anyone who witnessed it. But when trying to pass through a closed window, I couldn't, and when trying to fly again, it wasn't working very well, everything was getting like blurry and I was slowly waking up. Not a sudden wakeup, just slowly.

It was a pretty interesting moment, especially the brightness change and levitating myself quite a few meters upwards.

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:40
I experienced everything from the list expect a night terror and sleep walking, thank god.

I often had lucid dreams, although not 100% controllable. I had a sleep paralysis once, I wanted to scream for help, but  I was only able to breath deeply. Scary.

I had "Out of half body" experience: if I wake up while sleeping on my hand, and my hand is temporarily "dead" , I moved my hand with a help of another hand but still the presence in the old position. Soon after, I felt that my "astral" hand is moving towards my "real" hand, but I wasn't moving my body...the whole thing settled after a minute.
Just nerves playing with the brain I guess.

As for hypnic jerks, I had problems with strong series of spasms mixed with choking and pre-vomiting feeling and causing insomnia, that was awful...I did EEG and I was taking medicines - those hypnic jerks of mine are actually called epileptic myoclonia.

I'm not taking medicines anymore (I would rather be an epileptic than a junkie) I learned to live with my spasms, which are not so strong anymore, and much less frequent.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: magnus
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 14:48
I had a sort of lucid dream once... I realized that what was going on was too surreal to be real, so I pinched myself to see if I woke up. I did, and now I wish I would have lucid dreams,.

-------------
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 03:06
Lucid Dreams & Falling Sensations happen a little now&then

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk