URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39271
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 04:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Believing in the Paranormal
Posted By: Zitro
Subject: Believing in the Paranormal
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 11:29
You can choose multiple choices.

Vote any of these controversial paranormal things that you believe in.

If you strongly believe in any of these, vote it twice.

If you somehow believe in any of these, vote it once.

Replies:
Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 11:56
None of the above. Stern%20Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 11:57
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Agree.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:01
It only lets me vote once, but I definitely believe in ghosts and I have personally had dreams that have later come true, so I guess I believe in foreseeing the future, but not in those carnival psychic con-artists.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:18
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I have personally had dreams that have later come true, so I guess I believe in foreseeing the future

Same here.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:23
I believe there's some sort of weird, as of now undetectable energy floating around us and every so often we come in contact with it in some way and weird stuff happens. How else can I have dreams that later turn out to be reality?

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:23
Oh sorry, I forgot to include multiple votes.

Try now! vote the extra votes that the poll didn't let you.

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:25
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I have personally had dreams that have later come true, so I guess I believe in foreseeing the future

Same here.
  Hmmmm....Ermm Couldn't  it be mere coincidence, or dreaming of something that you knew (at least subconciously) was LIKELY to happen?

Have any of your dreams NOT come true? What does this imply?

If this foretelling were possible, and reliable, imagine the implications for the stock market, the military, governments, etc. They'd be all over it.

Sorry -- I think what you've experienced is only coincidence -- nothing supernatural.Stern%20Smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:32
Here's a "prediction" for you, Stoney:

I will now log off, go out to ride my motorcycle on some trails (where I may well see an animal or unusual bug), only to return later, and post here again.

Let's see if my powers of foretelling are reliable....Wink

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:36

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Same here.
  Hmmmm....Ermm Couldn't  it be mere coincidence, or dreaming of something that you knew (at least subconciously) was LIKELY to happen?

Have any of your dreams NOT come true? What does this imply?

If this foretelling were possible, and reliable, imagine the implications for the stock market, the military, governments, etc. They'd be all over it.

Sorry -- I think what you've experienced is only coincidence -- nothing supernatural.Stern%20Smile

No, it only happens with very specific situations. It's like reverse deja vu, and it's never anything important, and of course I have no control over it. My theory is that time is like a strip of film, with each frame existing simultaneously with all others, and it is therefore possible to inadvertantly get glimpses into the other frames.

-------------

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 12:36
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Agree.

same here

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: June 22 2007 at 16:45
I have also had those dreams that came true later. And when it does you're like "whoa...I dreamed this exact thing a few weeks ago."

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 01:14
I don't believe in any of those things. Ermm

And I don't think dreams can tell you anything or can predict the future or whatever. Or maybe it's just sour grapes because I never remember my dreams. Tongue

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 07:56
Other..

The 12th Imam and the Tooth fairy....

I want to believe in ghosts, as there are many people I'd like to come back and haunt the sh!t out of, but until I have a definitive experiece myself, I remain sceptical.

Incidentally, does anyone think that if you believe in ghosts, it automatically follows that you believe in God?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:42
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Incidentally, does anyone think that if you believe in ghosts, it automatically follows that you believe in God?
No, but it is true the other way around.

-------------
What?

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:46

ELP

Oh,. Sorry

ESP

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:47

That's better, no one believes in ELP anymore Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:51
Originally posted by R o V e R R o V e R wrote:

ELP

Oh,. Sorry

ESP

I knew you'd say that   

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:51
I've got Deja Vu...excellent album

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Originally posted by R o V e R R o V e R wrote:

ELP

Oh,. Sorry

ESP

I knew you'd say that   

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 15:19
Telekinesis, although I like to call it  "The shining"

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 15:41
Not to start any fights, but I think that if you believe in God, you pretty much believe in the "paranormal," by definition. look at the powers commonly ascribed to God:
mind reading
onniscience
omnipresence
immortality
the ability to create matter from nothing
the ability to work "miraculous" cures
the ability to resurrect the dead
invisibility
etc.

Therefore, it should not tbe too big a stretch, I think, for a religious person to think that some humans or "spirits" could from time to time manifest similar "paranormal" powers. 

Essentially, I equate belief in the paranormal with belief in magic, and I think that any "god" is essentially a "magical" entity.

Whattayall think? Belief in God = belief in magic = belief in paranormal?
Is it the same? Are religous folks more likely to believe in such "non-scientific" things?

Or is belief in an all-powerful, single God incompatible with, say, a belief in astrology?Ermm

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 18:35
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Telekinesis, although I like to call it  "The shining"
I think you have to call it "The Shinning" or you'll be sued by the Kubrick estate.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 18:44
None of the above...

However, telepathy is an interesting issue IMO although not really paranormal.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 18:52

Not to start any fights, but I think that if you believe in God, you pretty much believe in the "paranormal," by definition. look at the powers commonly ascribed to God:
mind reading
onniscience
omnipresence
immortality
the ability to create matter from nothing
the ability to work "miraculous" cures
the ability to resurrect the dead
invisibility
etc.

Therefore, it should not tbe too big a stretch, I think, for a religious person to think that some humans or "spirits" could from time to time manifest similar "paranormal" powers. 

Essentially, I equate belief in the paranormal with belief in magic, and I think that any "god" is essentially a "magical" entity.

Whattayall think? Belief in God = belief in magic = belief in paranormal?
Is it the same? Are religous folks more likely to believe in such "non-scientific" things?

Or is belief in an all-powerful, single God incompatible with, say, a belief in astrology?Ermm

Well, according to Catholicism (or the Catholic Church that I was brought up under) belief in ghosts, astrology etc is blasphemy and somehow comes under the commandment "thou shalt not bear false gods before me"

However it is perfectly logical in my view that people who believe in God or gods would also believe in all manner of other manifestations, magical powers and whatnot.It stands to reason that once you believe in an entity that you cannot see then anything goes..

One cannot prove or disprove the existence of Gods (or gods etc) and so it goes for most of these amazing powers that people claim. However, when spiritualists, mind readers et al have been subject to the strictest laboratory tests they have ALWAYS failed totally.

Take ghosts, for example. To me they either exist or they dont. If they exist why arent they commonplace and more perplexingly why do those that claim to have seen ghosts always presume that they are in some way blessed with a "gift" or special sensitivity that others do not possess?

The parsimonious view to take would be that these people are over-sensitive...Wink

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 18:59
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

None of the above...

How is telepathy not paranormal? Telepathy is a form of ESP, namely thought transference. (usually done with those circle, square, cross, wave, star - cards)

-------------
What?

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 19:24
Ghosts? Nah...60 000000000 people lived so far on this planet, since the beginning of human kind. Where are those folks? Is each one of us surrounded by 10 souls? I don't think so...our rooms should be overcrowded with poltergeists...

Aliens visiting us? Nah. Too naive. I believe in existence of life forms on other planets, even the intelligent ones, but visiting us? Why us? There are another 150000000000 stars only in our galaxy.

ESP? Clueless...but I think there is something. As Arthur C. Clarke once pointed it out - 95% of all that is rubbish...but which 5% is right?

Prediciting the future? I do not believe in that, nor in destiny. On the other hand, there might be something in the theories of parallel universes, warmholes, streams of happenings and cosmical mechanics...but that's a huge stretch.

Astrology is one of the worst piles of rubbish ever invented by the human kind, and it should be banned by the law in all the countries. It's too bad that inquisition in the dark ages didn't made astrology extint - by using the pyres for those who had tried to earn something on poor, naive people, desperately searching for a luck in their cruel reality.

In my humble opinion, of course.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 19:42
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

None of the above...

How is telepathy not paranormal? Telepathy is a form of ESP, namely thought transference. (usually done with those circle, square, cross, wave, star - cards)

Shouldn't it be a sense, just like hearing or vision? In this case it would be biological and/or physical, not a gift IMO.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 19:55

None of the above...

Shouldn't it be a sense, just like hearing or vision? In this case it would be biological and/or physical, not a gift IMO.
It could be argued that ESP, Telekinesis and Forseeing The Future are all additional senses to the normally accepted 5. However, the Extra in Extra-Sensory means unusual, outside or beyond rather than in addition to, like extraterrestrial means beyond-earth, so my view is that telepathy would be a beyond-normal sense rather than an additional sense.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 20:46
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Ghosts? Nah...60 000000000 people lived so far on this planet, since the beginning of human kind. Where are those folks? Is each one of us surrounded by 10 souls? I don't think so...our rooms should be overcrowded with poltergeists...
I think your figure of 60 billion is a little conservative - I'd put it at closer to 100 billion, which works out at 1800 dead people per square mile of earth, or one skeleton every 150 metres. If we consider that only a small proportion of land is actually populated, then this grave-density increases dramatically, which means that there must be some parts of the world where the ghosts must be standing shoulder to shoulder.

Aliens visiting us? Nah. Too naive. I believe in existence of life forms on other planets, even the intelligent ones, but visiting us? Why us? There are another 150000000000 stars only in our galaxy.
Also, none of them could actually get here, even if they wanted to - the closest star to us is Proxima Centari at 235 billion miles away, which is roughly 160,000 years by space-shuttle. Faster than light travel is physically impossible.

ESP? Clueless...but I think there is something. As Arthur C. Clarke once pointed it out - 95% of all that is rubbish...but which 5% is right?
The $1,000,000 http://www.randi.org/sylvia/ - Randi prize remains unclaimed. I remain a skeptic. Wink

Prediciting the future? I do not believe in that, nor in destiny. On the other hand, there might be something in the theories of parallel universes, warmholes, streams of happenings and cosmical mechanics...but that's a huge stretch.
I agree, sort of... I understand that parallel universes are theoretically feasible, I'm not convinced they actually exist, or if they did, that we could 'enter' one.

Astrology is one of the worst piles of rubbish ever invented by the human kind, and it should be banned by the law in all the countries. It's too bad that inquisition in the dark ages didn't made astrology extint - by using the pyres for those who had tried to earn something on poor, naive people, desperately searching for a luck in their cruel reality.
Agreed, it's hooey, but banning it would be as wrong as banning the tooth-fairy. In the dark ages the Inquisition had no interest in astrology, they were only concerned with stamping out heretics. Astrology was only forbidden by the church as recently as the 19th century, and then only because it denied  free-will.

In my humble opinion, of course.
mine too Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 20:54

I think your figure of 60 billion is a little conservative - I'd put it at closer to 100 billion, which works out at 1800 dead people per square mile of earth, or one skeleton every 150 metres. If we consider that only a small proportion of land is actually populated, then this grave-density increases dramatically, which means that there must be some parts of the world where the ghosts must be standing shoulder to shoulder.

Not that I believe but according to some sources aren't we simple avatars of people that passed away? In this case with the population growth the problem will be the opposite - lack of souls for people still to be born. Ouch

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Sasquamo
Date Posted: June 23 2007 at 22:11
Bigfoot

Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 01:56
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Bigfoot
LOL I think you are joking.

(In any case, a "bigfoot' -- or large unidentified primate -- would not be a supernatural or "paranormal" creature.) Geek

Ermm Just in case you're not joking:

Where are the dead ones? the bones? (surely we'd have found the remains of such large animals, by now!)

Where's the poop?

Where's the bits of fur?

Where's the recent, reliable photographic evidence/pelts/tracks from: native Americans, loggers, prospectors, hikers, environmentalists, campers, etc?

Belief in "bigfoot' rates up there with belief in the Loch Ness Monster as far as totally ridiculous, wishful, flying-in-the-face-of-all-logic beliefs/tourist scams go!Stern%20Smile

LOL

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 10:18
My opinion in Each.

_I partly believe in Extra-terrestrials visiting us due to the huge pile of evidence. Even though most would be faked, things like the Russel Crash (or the one in Ohio), the NASA footage, and many more makes me believe it 'may' be true.

_I don't believe in ghosts that much at all, but I keep an open mind (I'm agnostic)

_Cryptozoology/Mythical Creatures: Sure, there are some weird animals here and there, but those mythical creatures and Big Foot??? No evidence, I don't believe it.

_ESP: The Randi Prize of 1 frickin' million wasn't awarded to anyone. Need I say more?

_Telekinesis: A bit more plausible maybe. Evidence is inadequate and these things could be done by Copperfield-style trickery and maybe if it's possible, it could be a fault in the laws of physics.
Best telekinesis I've seen in youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08_r66pNwY though i know there has to be a trick, like a string.

_Foreseeing the Future: ummmm, what? I just don't believe it can be possible.

_Astrology: Pure rubbish that made Walter Mercado a millionaire.

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 13:02
I voted for ESP...

-------------

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 13:06
Why have all of these so called Alien crashes taken place in the USA? Please corrent me if there are stories of other nations boasting their very own crash site, it would be of interest to me.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by Paradox Paradox wrote:

Why have all of these so called Alien crashes taken place in the USA? Please corrent me if there are stories of other nations boasting their very own crash site, it would be of interest to me.

it's probably because the USA is difficult to miss. LOL

I think Mexico and parts of Bavaria/Switzerland have a larger number of sightings, but they probably don't fly too low because of the mountains, therefore do not crash.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 14:02
Quote Why have all of these so called Alien crashes taken place in the USA? Please corrent me if there are stories of other nations boasting their very own crash site, it would be of interest to me.

Let me add something ... why are almost all of the alien abduction stories from the United States? If it's somehow related to communication, maybe there could be a small relationship between US and the aliens due to Russel crash, etc. But if these people report to be examined, then why not the other countries?

Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by Paradox Paradox wrote:

There were - allegedly - many sightings and tales of abduction etc, in the former Soviet Union. The worlds other super power at the time. It was the powerful status of the US and the USSR that is believed to be behind why the aliens visited these places with such frequency.

If you believe such things..

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 07:28

Smile

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:31
^ Same!

I think it would be pretty cool to really have a lochness monster or bigfoot or something.

-------------

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:35
I don't believe in any of them.

But telekinesis would be cool....

Date Posted: June 25 2007 at 12:48
I'm with Logos, "I want to believe".

But I'm still not entirely convinced. I still voted for ET though.

I actually had a (UFN) experience though (Unidentified flying noise) Wink, and it was not just a night terror.

I was laying awake trying to get to sleep when i notice I start hearing a low-volume kind of sustained pitch with minor variations about on top of me. I turned off the ceiling fan and tried to rule it out but I noticed that the sound source was moving from one side to the other (while staying at an elevation) and the volume of it increased when it was more overhead. Meanwhile, a dog was barking like CRAZY, and noticed the pattern that when the noise was more overhead, it was when the dog barked the most.

I didn't try to go outside and take a look until it was too late and didn't notice anything and the noise was gone and the dog started barking. Note: My parents woke up due to the dog. They too noticed the dog stopped barking shortly before we went outside, so it's not in my mind.

Just a little "unexplained" story that still doesn't necessarily mean that it was a Alien-related UFO

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: June 26 2007 at 21:13

Yeah, they've become an urban legend, just like global warming and AIDS.

On topic, I'd have to say Ghosts and Aliens. Come on, with a universe like ours, there's got to be SOMETHING out there.

Date Posted: June 26 2007 at 23:33
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

Yeah, they've become an urban legend, just like global warming and AIDS.

On topic, I'd have to say Ghosts and Aliens. Come on, with a universe like ours, there's got to be SOMETHING out there.

I believe there is life (and intelligent life), on other planets, too.  But the poll choice is for "extraterrestrials visiting us," not for the mere existence of extraterrestrials. I believe interstellar travel by living beings to be impossible, because of the unimaginably huge distances (and thus trip times) involved.Stern%20Smile

I also think that if aliens were able to come here, they'd make themselves well known, and not just sneak around  making weird patterns in fields,  and anally-probing rednecks. LOL

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 26 2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

^ Same!

I think it would be pretty cool to really have a lochness monster or bigfoot or something.

Ermm Well yeah, I suppose it would be cool -- but the "secret" (undocumented by science) existence of animals that big is just total BS.

Loch Ness monsters and bigfoot are 99.9999999999999999999% impossible. Stern%20Smile

Shall i explain why, again?Smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:14
None of the above, although...

Dowsing...

Anenome With Copper Tongue is an album I want to hear. Big%20smile

I don't believe in any of the above and as Peter rightly says, I find it's mainly those who believe in God who believe in them (not strictly true, mind you).

As we've never been to the Moon (controversial!), then I do not believe other life forms have visited Earth.  I do believe in other life forms however, it makes no sense whatsoever why only the Earth has life forms on it.  I just do not believe they have the intelligence or technology to get here.  We cannot get there, so how would they get here?

Ghosts make no sense either... they would have shown themselves by now (like God would have too, by the way).  Why hide away and be all sppoky?

I think it might (that's a big might) be possible to somehow have telekinetic powers in the future, but not now.  To be honest, I doubt we ever will.  It's a pipedream of mine.

Astrology... yuck.  Surely if they want to remove Pluto (a recently discovered non-planet) as a planet, then surely it'll screw up Astrology?  That's why it's rubbish.  You cannot just add and remove planets and change how Astrology works.

Foreseeing the future... well... my diary says I have something planned for a certain date, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Fate is fate.  You cannot predict anything... oh wait, yes you can.  You can predict the next DT album won't be to my taste!

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:47
Extraterrestrials is not necessarily paranormal. The existence of life on other planets is quite likely.The other stuff is just delusion.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Chus
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:49
I saw a program on the Discovery Channel that said Bush was a Lizard-man from another planet.

-------------
Jesus Gabriel

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 00:54
The probability that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe is basically 1.  The chance that we will meet them is pretty damn close to 0. 

Everything else in this poll is total bullsh*t. 

-------------

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 07:39

I also think that if aliens were able to come here, they'd make themselves well known, and not just sneak around  making weird patterns in fields,  and anally-probing rednecks. LOL

Not if they want to gradually take over the planet and are working with the members of a so-called syndicate that is hiding these facts from the public, and the patterns etc. are merely a distraction to keep UFO-enthusiasts' attention away from the truth.

"The date is set."

Wink

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:38

You know, that attitude is so typical of a Libran!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:41
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

And this sums up a great deal of opinion - people want to believe in the paranormal, the supernatural, in God/s, in aliens; they want that reassurance that comes with knowledge that (to coin a cliche) we are not alone.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 03:51
Quite an eye opener.

I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board.
I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say
"oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash!

But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable.

I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting.......

ok....... as you were chaps............

Posted By: Neil
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 04:02
I believe that (since brain activity is a mixture of chemical, electrical and possibly some other energy yet unknown) esp may well exist.  I mean why not?  We can send radio messages across the Atlantic so why not thought messages.  I'm confident that this may well exist, it's just that we've never learnt to use it.Lamp

As for religion, I'll say it then; Religion is simply a control structure allowing the intelligent to subjugate the lesser elightened masses.  Anyone who believes otherwise is sadly deluded.  (Ducks and covers).Shocked

-------------
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 08:04
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Quite an eye opener.

I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board.
I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say
"oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash!

But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable.

I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting.......

An excellent point and very true.

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 08:10

Quite an eye opener.

But
, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:03

Quite an eye opener.

But, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld..

I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:16

Quite an eye opener.

It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld..

I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .
PC never said it was a religion, or even a belief system. She was making a point about the way it was being offhandedly dismissed in this thread.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:45

Quite an eye opener.

But
, as astrology is NOT in fact a recognized religion.....Stern%20Smile

So?  Does that make it any less valid than any religion that has been "recognized" by whomever it is that decides what is and what isn't a religion?

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:06

Quite an eye opener. I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board. I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say "oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash! But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable. I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting....... ok....... as you were chaps............
It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld.. I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .

PC never said it was a religion, or even a belief system. She was making a point about the way it was being offhandedly dismissed in this thread.

'Offhandedly dismissed' in a way that many wouldn't tolerate if the target of that dismissal was 'accepted religions'

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:42
^ yep, that's what I meant.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:44
I offhandedly dismiss diet sodas as the Devil's work, but the only who seem to get offended by that are preppy young anorexic girls.

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:47

Quite an eye opener. I know that if some folk spoke about religion in the way they walk about some of these things that they would probably be booted from the board. I am not suggesting bootings...far from it, but I do find it interesting that we can say "oh yes, astrology...... load of unproven mumbo jumo" Oh, but sir, what if I believe and it brings me comfort?I can't help that I am afraid...it's all a pile'o'hogwash! But if we replace the word astrology with the name of a recognised religion (I wont use an example...it'll get taken out of context and I will get shot) it is clearly deemed unacceptable. I like debate, I like to hear the opinions of others, and I do find this pack/herd double standard very interesting....... ok....... as you were chaps............
It's recognised by those that believe in it. There are some 'recognised' religions that dont 'recognise' other 'recognised' religions. Oh Lord, I'm starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld.. I think the point being that although Astrology is perhaps not a religion as such, it's a belief system that is no doubt sacred to some people. The same goes for Scientology, which in the eyes of it's followers IS a religion. Few people around here would give Scientology the time of day - myself included - but some would potentially be upset about knocking peoples faith in 'organised' or 'recognised' religions. .

'Offhandedly dismissed' in a way that many wouldn't tolerate if the target of that dismissal was 'accepted religions'

looks like everyone's been reading The God Delusion...Wink

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:49
I'll quite happily dismiss all religion as mumbo-jumbo, security-blanket pseudo-science...

there. said it. Not insulting any individuals though.

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I'll quite happily dismiss all religion as mumbo-jumbo, security-blanket pseudo-science...

But the people who believe are Censored

And they can Censored themselves.

Shocked

Censored mean "huggers/hug" by the wayWink

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 15:12
I took an astronomy class in college. Just for fun, the professor did an astrology experiment. He passed out a list of personality descriptions that are generally associated with each sign. Only, they did not have the signs labeled with them. We picked out the personality that best fit us, and then wrote down the sign we were born with. After all the datat was in, he charted the results. If there was any validity, there should have been some sort of pattern. But, there was not even a hint of a pattern . It was all over the place.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I pretty much do that too.  I try to stay respectful of religion, but sometimes that's pretty hard; there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot to respect. 

-------------

Posted By: Sasquamo
Date Posted: June 28 2007 at 18:21

Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Bigfoot

Where are the dead ones? the bones? (surely we'd have found the remains of such large animals, by now!)

Where's the poop?

Where's the bits of fur?

Where's the recent, reliable photographic evidence/pelts/tracks from: native Americans, loggers, prospectors, hikers, environmentalists, campers, etc?

They are very smart, they make sure they always clean up any hair that falls off of them and they put they bury their waste like cats.  They even carry a big makeshift hoe behing them to scrap away their tracks.  They also bury their dead in ten foot holes.  Believe me, they'll reveal themselves when they feel the time is right.

Date Posted: June 29 2007 at 17:36
A collection of possibly the best Ghost/poltergeist/demon activity on tape ... almost everything here just looks too real to be fake. There aren't big screams or things like that, so you can turn up the volume a bit. Maybe you should watch it at least a few hours before going to sleep. Fake or not, it's scary stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoJUBW9CI8&mode=user&search=#

Date Posted: June 30 2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

A collection of possibly the best Ghost/poltergeist/demon activity on tape ... almost everything here just looks too real to be fake. There aren't big screams or things like that, so you can turn up the volume a bit. Maybe you should watch it at least a few hours before going to sleep. Fake or not, it's scary stuff.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoJUBW9CI8&mode=user&search=#

Wow! Some of that poltergeist stuff does look very real, and very scary.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk