Print Page | Close Window

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39635
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 10:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?
Posted By: LeInsomniac
Subject: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are they geniuses?
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 14:22
Just finished right now hearing their last album In Glorious Times, and having heard the other two Museum of Natural History and Grand Opening and Closing i wanted to ask your opinion about them. In my opinion they are really nowadays the geniuses of progressive rock. Their work is so intricate and well composed making us feel a varied range of feelings depending on the track we´re into and their virtuosity is probably unmatched.

Of course this is only my opinion but rarely i' ve found a group of musicians with their talent and creativity and intent in doing something really different which for me is very important since nowadays  creativity in music is quite stagnant. Unfortunately bands like these are rarely recognized for their musicianship, but lets get down to business.

So lets open a discussion here, what do you think about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
Are they really geniuses or just a group of musicians doing noise?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LeInsomniac/?chartstyle=volta">
Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back

Replies:
Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 14:29
I wouldnt call them virtuosos.. but their music is truly a work of genius. Probably my favorite modern band when it comes to prog, and definitly my favorite bizzare band in general. Just look at the photo under this text

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 15:33
Personally i love their inovation of instruments. The brick. Pale. Harps, organs, and random electric channels. It makes for interesting music. I really dig them.
To a lot of people its noise. I guess you just look deeper into it. SGM is one of the best when it comes to strange unusual art.

-------------

Posted By: CaincelaOreinim
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 15:48
I never use and dislike the word genius, but I think SGM are probably one of the better bands of today doing something worthwile.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 16:06
They are absolute masterliness, truly original and innovative. And one of the weirdest bands, ever.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 16:42

Of course not.

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Frank Zappa....these artists are geniuses.

There's a rare quality of soul, brilliance, and unfathomably rich songwriting to qualify some artist for genius status, IMO. SGM are talented, but even in the realm of RIO/Avant, their second-rate IMO. Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero are are first rate.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Prometheus
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 20:50
Stonebeard... its ok, you can like music made after 1979. thanks for mentioning SMM, though, PA samples sound pretty interesting. but it also sounds like they fall on the opposite end of the Avant/RIO sub-group than Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and SGM's side is also that farthest from your other favorites. Sorry to pick on you, but that sort of thing annoys me because of the assumptions it makes about the purpose of music. music is a completely relativistic thing, and being such, the only real thing that matters is how it affects the listener(/player) and only if it can so completely affect the listener(/player) can it be said to be genius, i think. and i also feel that there are few bands, even within the Avant/RIO section, that can so completely twist your perceptions about music, and so viscerally affect you, in the same way as SGM (Fantomas, Unexpect, and maybe Ephel Duath, stand right up there...and yes, i recognize that these all stand on the metal edge of Avante, a side to which i am biased). ever since downloading "sleep is wrong" from their website, i knew it was obvious that there was something incredible to SGM, and although i feel it didn't mature until "in glorious times", i think they are as appropriate as any to carry the term "genius", if the term should be used at all.
(for the record, however, Zappa is the only one of the artists you named that doesn't bore me, and even then he is hit -and-miss. i give credit to them all, especially mozart, but there is more out there...)

well, i was relaxing to sigur ros, but so much for that...

-------------
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot

Posted By: Sasquamo
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Of course not.

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Frank Zappa....these artists are geniuses.

There's a rare quality of soul, brilliance, and unfathomably rich songwriting to qualify some artist for genius status, IMO. SGM are talented, but even in the realm of RIO/Avant, their second-rate IMO. Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero are are first rate.

LOLLOL Bach and Mozart in same sentence with Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Frank Zappa LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:41
LOLLOL Bach and Mozart in same sentence with Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Frank Zappa LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
[/QUOTE]

Why not? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, I myself like sometimes to think that Frank Zappa, Crimson, Yes and Genesis can be au pair with Bach Mozart Beethoven. All of these entities contributed to the development of music, or inovated in some way, or just made beautiful music that appeals and makes the listener sense something.

But first lets not get away from the theme I proposed, which is, discuss the work of this american group. I myself for example (apart from Zappa and the mothers of invention and Mr.Bungle, hope im not forgetting anyone) think this group is probably the best thing that came out of that country (in what concerns to prog music) and this is my opinion, of course you can say to me i havent listened to everything made from the states, but i've heard enough to tell you that i  wont be changing my opinion at least for some time. 

Its just a matter of opinion, my brother listened to the album In Glorious Times at the same time as myself. I turned to him and sayed "It's been a long time since i listened to an album that made me really hooked on it and i consider this a piece of art" he replied and I quote "It's been a long time since i listened to an album that made me feel the will to throw up!"

God i just wanted to kill that guy...

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
^^^^^^
agreed, SGM are the best band to come out from the States, no, better yet, my favorite, in quite some time when it comes to prog... mmm... make that ever, the best band to come out of the States everrrrrrr

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

Stonebeard... its ok, you can like music made after 1979.

You really don't know me do you? Just look at what Collab Team I'm on. That should tell you something. Wink

Trust me, I like a lot of metal and avant music. In fact I like just about every band I've heard on PA, to some degree. I just don't think they're geniuses, and I mentioned the bands/artists that I mentioned because they're the prog and non-prog artists that sprug to my mind at the term "genius."

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 21:57
I know what you're saying stonebeard.. and Mozart had some crap BTW, so it all evens out.

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: July 04 2007 at 23:51
I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.

Posted By: Prometheus
Date Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

And to the classical elitist (as I assume) who posted the LOLs, you can think Bach and Mozart are miles above everyone else, but I frankly don't care.

you realize, of course, that the reason i responded at all was because of exactly this...you came off as exactly such an elitist (but i felt like being a pain).

at any rate,  your right, i didn't care enough to so much as look below your avatar; you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")

-------------
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot

Posted By: MusicForSpeedin
Date Posted: July 05 2007 at 00:27

They are great and even rank among a lot of bands I think are masters but there are a lot of avant band that I think blow them out of the water.

They are probably one of my favorite of the Avant/RIO genre only bested by Bungle, Hella, Aksak Maboul, Zappa, SMM, and a lot of others...but atleast I will waste my time and money on them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat band.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:32
Yes, but did you expect this kind of Spanish Inquisition?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 00:46
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

I love SGM. I haven't heard In Glorious Times yet, and god I want to, but going off the previous two, I love the band. They are my favorite RIO band, and (I think) my second favorite American band, behind The Mars Volta.

Uh, thats right, the Mars Volta are also from the States... even though I consider them to be more of a multi national band... still, I think I like the Sleepys a bit more... just a bit

-------------

Posted By: cuoredifalena
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 04:29
i am not a good reviewer so i can only say that the first time i listened to them,i fell in love with their music..and off course the more i listened to them the more i appreciated them..
simply i am so glad that i like their music.. if i only think that... i could have hated them...!!!
does anybody know if they will ever tour Europe..? will they ever come to London?

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:02
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

you fulfilled a stereotype so swiftly that i reacted just as swiftly. consider my annoyance as being directed more to those that actually do think in such a way. (and you must admit, your choices are fairly characteristic of the type... and were delivered in a fairly dismissive manner, " of course not.")

I guess you don't see how perfectly you fullfill you're own stereotype. Being a 19 year old guy with metal edged prog preferances, and bored by  Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Bach, Mozart, Samla Mannas Manna and Univers Zero. Millions of young men has been there in one way or another before you, and hundreds just in this forum.

You're tastes will change, and maybe sometime you'll give some extra credit to Bach too. You might even start to get bored by SGM and thrilled by UZ.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: ShW1
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 05:47
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

So lets open a discussion here, what do you think about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
The donkey-headed adversary of humanity opens the discussion Wink

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 09:40
I'm pretty much in awe of SGM. To use an extended metaphor - "out of left field" doesn't even begin to describe their sound. More like "out of left solar system".

It's definitely "difficult" music, and not all of it is equal in brilliance, IMO... but the first 3 tracks of "Of Natural History" are among the most interesting things I've heard in music in a long time.

Having seen them live has certainly solidified my opinion of them. Until you actually see them perform, the sheer level of virtuosity doesn't really impact you fully, IMO.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Date Posted: July 06 2007 at 19:36
Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...

-------------

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: July 07 2007 at 14:07
Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: July 07 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

(Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 14:19
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Why do these threads always end up being stupid?
As for "classical elitism," keep in mind that Mozart wrote 70 CDs worth of music all out by hand, most of it, at least, much more complex than Yes and written at a much younger age.

But just out of curiosity, Saasquamo, would you call any of your jazz heroes "genius"?

I like SGM a lot, although I wouldn't say they're the "best" because there isn't anything that is the "best" for me. Am I the only person who thinks of music in tiers of enjoyment? (Although recently I've been dropping even though. Comparing some of the music I have to other music no longer seems like a worthwhile pursuit.)

Although a bit to drastic and... raw, you are right.
Comparing never leads to anything, there is no best, only favorites... except for King Crimson of courseWink

-------------

Posted By: docsolar
Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:13
I really like SGM, from what I've heard...I haven't listened to the whole album "Of Natural History" yet, but I am acquiring it now, and should be listening in the next 2-3 days.

And as for classical music, it's largely the result of study, whereas rock music tends to be the result of expression and emotion, and I enjoy both disciplines. I think when both disciplines combine, it creates perfect music, and prog fits that bill often.

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:20

Thats my problem and the problem of all their european fans we probably wont have the possibilitie in all of their carrer to see them where they're worth been heared and seen, in a live show...(sigh) oh well...
They are starting to tour Europe, they did a couple of shows over there this year. Hopefully they will do a full tour.

Their live shows are spectacular, I've seen them twice.Tongue

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 20:23
The new disc is quite fun. I'm not as awe-struck by them as some of you appear to be but they're not a bad band. =)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: mecca
Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:26
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is deserving of any praise given to them, they are really the perfect band.  The music has is so bold and deep, it's incredible.

Date Posted: July 08 2007 at 21:40
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

They are starting to tour Europe, they did a couple of shows over there this year. Hopefully they will do a full tour.

Lucky b*****d. Its impossible they´ll ever get to come to Argentina...CryCryCryCry

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2007 at 09:10
The problem is that their music is not commercial so until they start getting a big name and having means to go to other places more often i believe we'll have to wait some more 6 years and four albums. That's my prediction at leastTongue

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: July 09 2007 at 19:36
They're one of my favorite avant-prog bands besides Mr Bungle, Samla Mammas Manna and Zappa.

Of Natural History is their best, but both their debut and their newest one are excellent!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: SolariS
Date Posted: July 10 2007 at 00:02
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

They are certainly masters of live performance. They put on one of the most fun shows i've been to.

-------------

Posted By: TR!P
Date Posted: July 11 2007 at 07:53
i first got into SGM when my friend gave me Of Natural History, and he was really scared that id hate it/get turned off by them, or not be able to apprieciate them first hand off

but it was the exact opposite, from the moment i pressed play till the end of the album i loved every bit of it

i would defo go as far as saying them music is genius

i jsut love the overall feeling of SGM, they seem so dedicated to it all, and really put so much effort into everything, even they'er physical albums packaging is great, and the artwork all over it and the themes running through them

the fact that they make most the instruments and use them to a level so elite'ly is another factor showing they'er talent

i must say, to me personly Of Natural History is defo they'er best work

then they'er first album which has some true gems, but i wish it didnt have those extra 3 tracks after Sunflower, because to me sunflower would be such a perfect ending track

i recently enough got In Glorious times, and sadly so far im not too much a fan of it, its slowly growing, but not to the extremes as the others have in the past, so far the pupper reinactment (prob wrong name) is my fav. id say

great great band

-------------
join communism

Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 21:50
glad to see that there are a lot of people interested in SGM at least I know that this group is getting enough interest, but not enough...not enough...shame

-------------

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:27
They seem to be fascinating good to have bands like this that come along and push certain artistic boundaries because that's progress , I`m  not a fan but I recognise the importance of such creativity never the less

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:32
SG are probably my favorite modern prog band. I have seen them live three times and they never cease to amaze. I can't ait to see what they do next. I hope they have a long prosperous existence.

-------------

Posted By: Wishbone Ash
Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 15:52
Geniuses? I don't think soDisapprove

-------------
Elizabeth?

Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 20:09
Originally posted by Wishbone Ash Wishbone Ash wrote:

Geniuses? I don't think soDisapprove

C'mon, you come here and you just say that? At least tell us why?Shocked

-------------

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 20:17
I do believe SGM are geniuses. They use regular instrumetns as well as cutom devices, and just look at Of Natural History for a crytpic and unique take on concept albums (it outlines the De-Evolution theory of the original SGM made of intellectuals.) Sure, people like Zappa, Fripp, Zorn, and Patton are singular in their genius, but this is a band that splits the creative force of those greats amongst several. I can't wait to see where they go next, and I want to see them live SO badly.

Posted By: reality
Date Posted: August 04 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by docsolar docsolar wrote:

I really like SGM, from what I've heard...I haven't listened to the whole album "Of Natural History" yet, but I am acquiring it now, and should be listening in the next 2-3 days.

And as for classical music, it's largely the result of study, whereas rock music tends to be the result of expression and emotion, and I enjoy both disciplines. I think when both disciplines combine, it creates perfect music, and prog fits that bill often.

Both disciplines have combined? Where is that? Coming from the classical side prog is purely Pop music.

Anyway there are certifiable ways to ascertain a relative form of musical genius.  Music theorists along with musicologists and other historians have named only four in the past five hundred years (and none of them have come from this century so far),  so to say SGM are musical geniuses is a bit of a stretch. 

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: August 05 2007 at 09:45
Who are the four?

Date Posted: August 05 2007 at 12:15
Well, I don't know about that but I too heard that music theorist and musicologists as you put it, said that Frank Zappa was the musical genius from the 20th century as well the best composer of it. No doubt about is genius here, if seen in a jazz point of view or prog point of view.

-------------

Posted By: SoundsofSeasons
Date Posted: August 06 2007 at 00:01
Mmmmaybe probably possibly if not sometimes only if on Wednesday, than definitely on the first of chocolate.

-------------
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Who are the four?

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner.   Musical genius  = capacity of intellect.

In reletive terms these four are compared with Albert Einstein or Sir Issac Newton (very very rare).

Are SGM comparable in relative terms to have the intellectual capacity of Albert Einstein or Bach? I know a silly question but it is a silly thread.

In recent years there has been speculation that there is a fifth. A young man has been discovered in I believe the United States who has written five complete symphonies before the age of twelve. He has been recognized for his ability to "multi channel", that is to play five or so melodys in his head at the same time (Mozart could do seven). Whether this kid pans out I do not know, but so far nobody has seen this early potential for near two hundred years.

Genius is an overused word and usually used to promote people who do not meet the standard of the actual meaning. With that being said beyond the objective four masters a "learned" subjective speculation can be applied to others such as Mendelssohn or Saint-Sans but not to SGM or Frank Zappa.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 12:59

You find comparing SGM to Bach silly. Personally though I would gladly take SGM over Wagner. And if we're taking genius as an absolute term as you are, I find it absolutely ridiculous to compare a genius like Newton to Mozart.

It's best to just take genius to be relative. When we use it we're not bringing up outlandish compairsons between everything genius is used to describe. We mean it in a local sense.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by reality reality wrote:

Who are the four?

In reletive terms these four are compared with Albert Einstein or Sir Issac Newton (very very rare).

Are SGM comparable in relative terms to have the intellectual capacity of Albert Einstein or Bach? I know a silly question but it is a silly thread.

In recent years there has been speculation that there is a fifth. A young man has been discovered in I believe the United States who has written five complete symphonies before the age of twelve. He has been recognized for his ability to "multi channel", that is to play five or so melodys in his head at the same time (Mozart could do seven). Whether this kid pans out I do not know, but so far nobody has seen this early potential for near two hundred years.

Genius is an overused word and usually used to promote people who do not meet the standard of the actual meaning. With that being said beyond the objective four masters a "learned" subjective speculation can be applied to others such as Mendelssohn or Saint-Sans but not to SGM or Frank Zappa.
SGM, not so much, but I think that saying Zappa wasn't a genius is stupid, after all Zappa and Zorn are the two Z's of modern musical genius, they may not be the same tipe as Einstien, they are the artistic kind.

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 14:39
Let me quote myself  "Musical genius  = capacity of intellect".  Artistic, science or anything else. Based on Gardener's theory of multiple intelligence (when it is properly understood)  it is very proper to use a correlation to capacity of a scientific genius to a musical genius as "art" has the same need of accelerated brain function as creating the theory of relativity. Genius is not the product produced but the ability of the mind, the capacity of intellect wherever that function is centered. Music is a process of the brain just like physics, both are scientifically regulated and both rely on the same wellspring of resources, it are these resources and the availability of them that reflect genius.

Do some research on Wagner and you will find giant contributions to the field of music and art. Yes he was a bigot as was popular in a lot of circles in Germany but his capacity for intellect was immense and he used it well. If you would rather listen to SGM go right ahead, not everybody has to listen to Wagner. But as I say in the same breath, SGM's contribution to the musical landscape will be easily forgotten, while the institutions  built upon Wagner's  genius will live on as long as this world lasts.

And yes I find a comparison of Bach and SGM as unequivocally, undeniably, Indisputably...just plain silly. 

By the way I like SGM, I am just being realistic.

Posted By: Minimalist777
Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 14:58
They and TMV are definetly on top of the genre right now. I love their new album and they put on a fantastic live show!

-------------
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: August 07 2007 at 21:04
Kind of. Very impressive music (Glorious times, the one I have), though itcould be better... But very very impressive... Now this is "avant" music I I can see some good qualities in....

-------------

Posted By: TR!P
Date Posted: August 08 2007 at 06:35
i tottaly agree with the people saying SGM are not genius in the traditional sense of genius,

to me, Da Vinci would qualify in the traditional sense of the word

however, i still think SGM can be labeld 'genius' ... just not in the traditional sense,

these men and woman in the band are modern day genius's, ill admit, this label of "modern day genius" is no where as near special as the traditional sence of the word, however it still holds some power

and id pigeon hole them into being "modern day musical geniusus" , which i guess is fine because were not talking about these peoples I.Q.'s were talking about theyer music

these people are genius's at what they do, at the music they make, at crafting they'er particular sound

ill admit i throw around the word genius alot, and as i said, it doesnt mean as much as it should do, but its still meant as a high complement to a person or band who you hold highly and apprieciate

-------------
join communism

Posted By: #1floydfan
Date Posted: August 08 2007 at 16:07
great band but not geniuses if crazy means genius then yes...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/jimbobismykitty/?chartstyle=basicrt10 - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/jimbobismykitty.gif -

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yes, but did you expect this kind of Spanish Inquisition?

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Date Posted: August 09 2007 at 12:37
Well certainly I wasn't trying to imply they are those kind of geniuses (ex: Mozart)  but in the sense that TR!P explained, dont be that picky Reality with the subject. Maybe i should've called it Sleepytime Gorilla Museum appreciation thread.Confused

-------------

Posted By: Kaizer_O
Date Posted: August 12 2007 at 14:12
There's no special commitee or rulebook that determines what's genius or not. Bach, Wagner or any classical composer never took an intelligence-test, so we can only judge them by their works. SGM have an unique style, combining unique instruments with songwriting that defies any musical theories taught at schools. Plus it's perfectly executed imo. Any band this original is considered genius in my book.Wink

Posted By: Shwang_Shwinga
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 03:11
Exactly. Being unique and not following a trend, and just doing what you love to do....and doing it well...those are the bands that should be respected the most. SGM are unmatched in their style, which is so hard these days considering that almost every band, even prog bands, can be compared or categorized with another band. But I can't think of anything that's too much like Sleepytime at all.

Plus their music just kicks ass, what can I say LOL I think its chaotic, cerebral, schizophrenic, hard-hitting music. Genius status is reached on this end.

-SS

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: August 13 2007 at 08:12
Wagner is awesome. Also, some musicologists are now beginning to recognize early composer Josquin du Prez as on the same level as Bach and Beethoven.

-------------

Posted By: william314159
Date Posted: December 28 2007 at 18:00
The museum is absolutely incredible.  I'm absolutely hooked.  Plus I'm absolutely in love with Carla Kihlstedt.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: December 28 2007 at 18:25
No, just a creative band.

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: December 29 2007 at 03:24
I'd say they're geniuses when it comes to Avant-garde music, like Erik Satie only disturbed.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Posted By: MonkeyphoneAlex
Date Posted: December 29 2007 at 22:55
I don't know about genius...  but certainly "brilliant".  Zappa I truly believe to be a genius, however.  He is my all-time biggest hero.

-------------
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:42

Originally posted by docsolar docsolar wrote:

Both disciplines have combined? Where is that? Coming from the classical side prog is purely Pop music.

Anyway there are certifiable ways to ascertain a relative form of musical genius.  Music theorists along with musicologists and other historians have named only four in the past five hundred years (and none of them have come from this century so far),  so to say SGM are musical geniuses is a bit of a stretch. 

As we're only seven years into this century that's not too surprising Wink.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:59

Who are the four?

Looks like these experts have confined their area of study to the German-speaking part of the world. Kinda understandable - but it just shows how incomplete such conclusions must be. 

Date Posted: December 30 2007 at 20:57
My favorite band right now... well, after King Crimson... and old Yes... still, pretty high!

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: December 31 2007 at 00:35

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are one of my favorite newer bands.  Although i guess they really can't be considered that new anymore.

Posted By: mecca
Date Posted: December 31 2007 at 20:30
Does anyone know where I can hear Old Grey Heron of Distinction without having to go to a concert?  I looked on youtube, and only half of the song is there.  OGH is the new song by SGM, btw, based on the death of Dan's father.  It sounds amazing (from what I've heard!!!).

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: January 04 2008 at 02:55
Look, I don't mind people liking the band but please people, use the term genius sparingly. I wouldn't even call King Crimson geniuses. Miles Davis and John Coltrane might be geniuses. Stravinsky and Beethoven, I'm pretty sure were geniuses (though I like the music of Miles and Trane better). The point is, listen to SGM, they have some funky instrumentation, but genius is so far out of the question it's not even funny... actually it kind of is.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: January 06 2008 at 16:35
^I don't think Miles or Coltrane were geniuses - smackheads, yes, geniuses, not really. Now Lennie Tristano - or even Bill Evans on the other hand... who were we originally talking about? Tongue

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: January 06 2008 at 21:49
^ SGM, but who cares. Smackheads or not, Miles and Trane were brilliant mucisians. Bill Evans maybe he should have tried a little smack.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk