Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40113
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 19:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: iona vs nightwish
Posted By: Yorkie X
Subject: iona vs nightwish
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 00:08
this is really a tester poll to see if people vote for who they know and not so much who is better , yes it is a silly poll both these bands names shouldn`t come up in the same sentence but when I thought of it I smiled and couldn`t help myself .  Big%20smile

Replies:
Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 04:14
Iona without the shadow of doubt.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 07:23
Nightwish, certainly...

I have seen Iona, and they put on a good show, but I couldn't do a whole album....

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 13:24
Iona Smile

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 13:26
Iona are simply amazing. Can't get enough of their music.

E

-------------

Posted By: johnobvious
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 17:41
When Iona can come up with something as moving as Ghost Love Score, I will vote for them.  

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 18:55
I like Nightwish quite a lot (except Once), but I don't know Iona at all - so I won't vote.

However, it did bother me that I didn't know (or couldn't remember) Iona - after all a UK based Celtic Prog-Folk band should have crossed my musical radar at some point in the past 18 years and I haven't exactly had my head stuck in a bucket or anything. Suitably perplexed, I thought I'd check them out...

Based upon the three tracks on Iona's PA page and the four on their MySpace, my initial reaction is - yeuch! that's not celtic prog-folk, that's just bland, uninspired, insipid mush, and to be honest only one song had any celtic vibe at all (okay that track - Wave After Wave was pretty good by comparison to the others). Capercaillie, Runrig, (or even Bluehorses) they certainly ain't, I kind of wonder if they had ever heard of Tír na Nôg or Horslips. They might be okay live in a dark and smokey club once, but not twice and never on CD. Thanks, but no thanks. Disapprove

So I guess that answers that then - I probably have heard of them before and just deleted them from memory, as I will probably do again soon.(I still won't vote in this poll though, but Nightwish ftw Wink)

-------------
What?

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

When Iona can come up with something as moving as Ghost Love Score, I will vote for them.  

They did...twice...no, three times....no, four times! The Woven Cord, The Book Of Kells, Beyond These Shores, and The Circling Hour. Just about everything they do is emotionally charged and moving.

E

-------------

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 03:00
nightwish

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 22 2007 at 21:31
Iona by many light years.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Rimantas B.
Date Posted: July 23 2007 at 03:24
Nightwish, at least until the leaving of Tarja.
We'll have to wait and see how it turns out to be now, but I am pretty sure Mr. Holopainen knew what he was doing and Nightwish will still be better then Epica, Iona and (insert band name here).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk