Print Page | Close Window

What artist touched you the most out prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40276
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 07:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What artist touched you the most out prog?
Posted By: meinmatrix
Subject: What artist touched you the most out prog?
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:02
King Diamond and Slayer. I  basically know roadies for both bands... Do i need to say more?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:11
I am often touched by Rory Gallagher his emotional music and flamenco, the Spanish blues, goose bumps Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:41
Originally posted by meinmatrix meinmatrix wrote:

King Diamond and Slayer. I  basically know roadies for both bands... Do i need to say more?

Yes, what does that have to do with anything?
Strange collection of artists.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:41
Out of these... The Doors....the first rock group I really liked....

I agree.. this list is based on....Confused

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:48
Other. I vote for Peter Blegvad.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:50
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I think he was touched by at least one member of those bands...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:58
John Cale, Tim & Jeff Buckley, Siouxsie Sioux...

-------------
What?

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 03:30
Had to vote other.  A New England Indie group called rane is one of the few groups that's been able to pull me out of my prog/classical/blues/jazz rut.

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 05:50
cheap trick Tongue

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:35
From the list Jimi Hendrix, had he lived longer he would have changed the sound of rock music (just listen to Band of Gypsys).  Not on the list Sly Stone.  His music touched and influenced many who are now legends (Miles Davis just to name one).

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 11:39
I've shaken hands with Nick Barrett. LOL

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 14:03
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I think he was touched by at least one member of those bands...

LOL

Let me clarify then.... The doors touched me musically... but Mr. Manzarek han never lay his hands on my humanity....Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 14:25
Morrissey.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 15:11
Outside of prog definitely The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.Those two bands literally changed my perception of music and what music was all about.

-------------

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 15:15
One of the most; the first time I heard Robin Trower Live cd. His play was just what I wanted and Dewar's voice is heaven. Big%20smile

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Outside of prog definitely The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.Those two bands literally changed my perception of music and what music was all about.
same for me. The Beatles rediefined what could be done with pop music, and it came as a revelation to me when I first heard them in 98, three decades after the fact. Modern pop artists can never hope to attain the level of perfection and integrity (equally as important to me) the Beatles enjoyed. LZ pushed blues much farther than it had ever gone before by mixing it wth folk (not the first to do that, see Tull), and Indian music (George Harrison brought a sitar to the studio, but he didn't truly fuse rock and Indian classical, he kept them separate). Both bands made so much possible and now matter how often they are venerated and honored, their importance cannot be overstated.

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 15:39
Danny Elfman

Posted By: Dirk
Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 16:59
There a lot of them, first on my mind when this question comes up are always the Kinks and Creedence clearwater revival. Fleetwood mac, Stone roses, Pulp are some other good bands that come to mind right now.

My sister always used to play  albums from Leonard Cohen when we were young. I got 2 of his albums lately. I don't think you can stray much farther from prog than he does, some of his songs are only accompanied by acoustic guitar and it never gets much more complex than that but what a gift for melody the man has. I wonder if there are others here that like his music.

Date Posted: July 27 2007 at 17:47
I forgot to mention the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, especially the two concerts I have seen (Vredenburg and North Sea Jazz Festival) were so compelling, this man put his entire heart, soul and troubled mind into his music and that is what the blues is about Clap

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:26
Probably Hendrix and Lou Reed.

Hendrix is a constant amazement to me.  Are You Experienced? was the 2nd CD album I ever got and I still have it 10+ years later.  Lou Reed on the other hand was helpful in my ever expanding taste in music.  When I heard Velvet Underground & Nico I was taken by its innovative and original take on pop/rock music.  It was like nothing before and it still sounded incredible 35 years after its release.  The later VU albums and Lou's solo career were equally awesome and I was lucky enough to see him live 5 years ago.

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:37
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I forgot to mention the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, especially the two concerts I have seen (Vredenburg and North Sea Jazz Festival) were so compelling, this man put his entire heart, soul and troubled mind into his music and that is what the blues is about Clap

My wife's former boss was the county coroner for Walworth County, Wisconsin and had to oversee the tragedy. Whenever we visit my in-laws in Wisconsin we always have to pass right by Alpine Valley where it happened when travelling to Milwaukee from their house. Very eerie.

E

-------------

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:40
Stevie was the best white blues player of all time, and one of the top 5 blues guitarists period. For me he even beats out Clapton b/c of his incredible emotion that stood out even in the genre of emotion. Clapton, though a little more skilled and a lot more important, rarely put that kind of soul into his music.

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 00:40
U2 without a doubt. I saw them on the Elevation tour only months after 9/11. During the song "One" all of the victims' names scrolled slowly up the screen behind the stage. Once the names reached the top of the screen they were then projected throughout the arena.

Seeing U2 live is like a religious experience. Nobody can come close to them live.

E

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

U2 without a doubt. I saw them on the Elevation tour only months after 9/11. During the song "One" all of the victims' names scrolled slowly up the screen behind the stage. Once the names reached the top of the screen they were then projected throughout the arena.

Seeing U2 live is like a religious experience. Nobody can come close to them live.

E
I saw U2 back in the early 80's as a support band and you could tell then that they were destined for stardom. Unfortunately after that stardom arrived they lost something for me. Under a Blood Red Sky is still one of my favorite live albums though.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 19:32
Thanks for the words about Stevie Ray Vaughan, I still feel the pain, what a lost, I have seen Stevie two times, this man knew how to translate feelings into music Clap

Posted By: Dirk
Date Posted: July 28 2007 at 21:11
I'm curious then, just bought Strong persuader today but haven't listened to it yet. I know the title track and that's a pretty good one so i have high hopes.

Edit: Just realized this afternoon that Strong persuader is from the Robert Cray band, Steve Ray vaughn is the man who made  Texas Flood amongst other albums. Strange mixup, i must be getting old LOL. I don't have this Texas flood album, a friend of mine who used to  love blues music used to play it a lot  long time ago, so i know this is a good album. I'll look out for it but for now it's Robert Cray band.

Posted By: deathblack29
Date Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:43
Although over the last few years been listening more to progressive symphonic black/death metal bands, the first band I can remember listening to was Yes.  Although I don't listen to them as much as I used to, occasionally I will stick on Close To The Edge...it still gives me goosebumps. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk