Print Page | Close Window

Coheed and Cambria

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40463
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 00:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coheed and Cambria
Posted By: StyLaZyn
Subject: Coheed and Cambria
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 15:26
I clearly see them as Prog-related bordering Prog Metal or Nu-Prog.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 15:34
I can only judge them by the material they provide on their homepage. and that material is clearly NOT prog, not even prog related. as Friede mentioned before: they obviously don't want to be regarded as a prog band, so we should do them the favor and leave them out

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: SoundsofSeasons
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 15:48
I would say not, if they are prog-related they sure don't want that side of them to show.

-------------
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 15:58
This poll is in the wrong section, since C&C are not in PA. Besides, in the Suggest New Bands section there is a 7-page long thread about the same band. Do we really need another?Confused

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 16:00
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

This poll is in the wrong section, since C&C are not in PA. Besides, in the Suggest New Bands section there is a 7-page long thread about the same band. Do we really need another?Confused

Moving it would be in order, however I think that polling it yields a better sampling of opinion, which should matter here. Right?

-------------

Posted By: Hirgwath
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:17
They seem to me like a pop-punk band that does pathetically over-complicated space opera concept albums. Why the f**k should I care about this Good Apollo, or why he is the Fourth Burning Star, or what have you? Plus, the lyrics are just bad, and not necessarily sense-making. In one song, Claudio uses: "You seem to take premise..." when I think he meant to write:  "You seem to take precedence..." Perhaps there's a hidden meaning there, but I tend to think that it's just bad writing.

Posted By: Deadwing12
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:30
There is so much I could say on this subject that I cannot quite figure where to start.

A few years ago I lobbied extensively to get Coheed and Cambria added to the prog archives, and despite getting the green light, submitting all the albums and album info, and writing reviews for all of their material, they were quickly removed. Despite the fact that Claudio has gone on record to say, "I'd call us progressive rock." Along with The Mars Volta, Muse, Radiohead, and Tool, Coheed and Cambria remain one of the few modern progressive bands branching out into new realms of both progressive and mainstream rock.

Therein lies part of the genius that is Coheed and Cambria. Almost every song they have recorded works on two basic levels: as pop-punk escapist music, and as deep, progressive and experimental rock. Claudio's vocals, despite being sung in a high register catered to the emo mainstream public, are always layered by intriguing and interesting harmonies. The dual-guitar work of Claudio and Travis is unlike any other in mainstream rock. Also, the story behind the music is wholly progressive in the sense that there is more to Coheed and Cambria than just music. As a fan of the sci-fi story surrounding the albums, I find the lyrics to be genius in their ambiguity; it is very difficult to write such material that holds up on its own, yet has an altogether deeper and more significant meaning.

Calling Coheed and Cambria mearly a pop-punk.emo band is ignorant in so many ways I cannot even begin to dignify with comment. Any serious music listener who has sat down with any of their albums (the experimental indie-rock of Second Stage, the grand space-rock of In Keepin Secrets, or the Rush-influenced Good Apollo) can easily attest to Coheed an Cambria's progressive and experimental leanings.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Deadwing008/?chartstyle=Basquiat">

Posted By: DethMaiden
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:44
Definitely prog-related. Anyone who wants them kept off the archives just hasn't listened to them.

Posted By: Matt Dickens
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 17:45
Originally posted by Deadwing12 Deadwing12 wrote:

There is so much I could say on this subject that I cannot quite figure where to start.

A few years ago I lobbied extensively to get Coheed and Cambria added to the prog archives, and despite getting the green light, submitting all the albums and album info, and writing reviews for all of their material, they were quickly removed. Despite the fact that Claudio has gone on record to say, "I'd call us progressive rock." Along with The Mars Volta, Muse, Radiohead, and Tool, Coheed and Cambria remain one of the few modern progressive bands branching out into new realms of both progressive and mainstream rock.

Therein lies part of the genius that is Coheed and Cambria. Almost every song they have recorded works on two basic levels: as pop-punk escapist music, and as deep, progressive and experimental rock. Claudio's vocals, despite being sung in a high register catered to the emo mainstream public, are always layered by intriguing and interesting harmonies. The dual-guitar work of Claudio and Travis is unlike any other in mainstream rock. Also, the story behind the music is wholly progressive in the sense that there is more to Coheed and Cambria than just music. As a fan of the sci-fi story surrounding the albums, I find the lyrics to be genius in their ambiguity; it is very difficult to write such material that holds up on its own, yet has an altogether deeper and more significant meaning.

Calling Coheed and Cambria mearly a pop-punk.emo band is ignorant in so many ways I cannot even begin to dignify with comment. Any serious music listener who has sat down with any of their albums (the experimental indie-rock of Second Stage, the grand space-rock of In Keepin Secrets, or the Rush-influenced Good Apollo) can easily attest to Coheed an Cambria's progressive and experimental leanings.

If  i recorded myself taking a dump and called it progressive that doesn't make it so.

-------------
If it ain't broke don't break it.

Posted By: Deadwing12
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 18:01
lulz

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Deadwing008/?chartstyle=Basquiat">

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 18:04
They have some similarities....

But they are not prog...there just a unique rock band like Tool, Muse and Dredg .

Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 19:03
I've listened to the entire fourth album, and frankly I don't know what you're talking about.

I really loved "Welcome Home", but I disliked pretty much all of the rest of the album. The lyrics maybe ambiguous, sure, but they're also unambiguously bad. And as far as the music goes, I can see prog influence, sure, but I still believe them to be a pop punk band. I guess you are able to see depth there that my brain is too deformed to see.

Sorry you're not able to dignify my statements with comments.

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 20:00
I do not believe that C & C are prog. Yes, I own all 3 cd's. Yes, I like them. Having said that, I think they are more prog that Radiohead, but neither band belongs here.

Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 20:28
OK, I just listened to the album, and as I listened I reviewed it.

Good Apollo IV Review
Keeping the Blade - I like this, as it sets the epic-drama tone for the rest of the CD very well. It's short, but it is quite beautiful.
Prog or Not?: Prog

Always and Never - Here begin the lyrics, and thus also my dislike for the band. Stupid Armory Wars...
Prog or Not?: Not particularly prog, but it reminds me of acoustic Pink Floyd (especially from various Wall Tracks, Wish You Were Here, and Pigs on the Wing)

Welcome Home - Absolutely wondrous track. This is heavy symph prog that reminds of neoclassical metal. The lyrics are, again, ridiculous and ungrammatical. Still, the track is absolutely the best on the CD.
Prog or Not?: Duh, Prog.

Ten Speed (Blah Blah Too Long Title) - Extremely catchy, and with some excellent guitar. This has very clear pop-rock influence, and it's basically an intricate punk song.
Prog or Not? Not, although I like it.

Crossing the Frame - Very reminscent of ska and pop-punk. It's, of course, a catchy tune. Lyrics are ambiguous to anyone who is uninformed about the Armory Wars (i.e. Me). But they're actually tolerable, and poetic in this song ("Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams"). It's a shame I don't know who "Newo" is.
Prog or Not? Not.

Apollo I: The Writing Writer - Oh, darn, the lyrics have taken a turn back to amazing pomposity. The ambient synthesizers are the interesting feature on this track, and the music features a couple of cool time changes (Singing "Come on bitch why aren't you laughing now?" in 6:8 is a lot cooler than singing it in 4:4)
Prog or Not?: Prog

Once Upon Your Dead Body - A creepy pop track, with a very punk rock bass line boring the hell out of me throughout much of it ("Duh-duh-duh-duh"). No I will not drink "your chemical", Claudio. This is the first bad track on the album. The synthesizers at the end don't make it prog, they just make it pseudo-prog.
Prog or Not?: Not.

Wake Up - Yak. I can't even stand this. It's really touching that Claudio will kill anyone for his sweet-heart, but I really can't take the simpering vocals and repetitive sentimentality. The orchestra comes in at some point, but really, any one who wants to can add an orchestra to something, and it still won't be prog necessarily.
Prog or Not?: NOT.

The Suffering - Oh my God, does this track rock or what? Catchiest on the whole album. Probably the best non-prog offering. Don't let its genre (or lyrics) keep you from enjoying it.
Prog or Not?: Not, but who the hell cares?

The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Ms. Erica Court - Just a punk track, not much to see here, unless you want a good laugh from the lyrics.

Mother May I: It's, again, a punk track with obscure lyrics. Too bad it's too chilled out to be as entertaining as The Suffering.

The Willing Well I: Fuel For the Feeding End - Oh yeah, this track combines the best of both worlds, in the same way The Cardiacs do. Excellent instrumentation, as well as a punk energy behind it all. The lyrics are just...well, look them up for yourself. Claudio can be scary in the same way Cate Blanchett was in Fellowship of the Ring.
Prog or Not? Prog.

The Willing Well II: Fear Through The Eyes of Madness - It starts off promisingly with some synthesizer, transforms into an alternatively upbeat punk and metallish-drone beginning. Towards the middle there's a bit of good rock n' roll (a bit like Wolfmother, say), which then transforms into very cool prog metal! Although repetitive towards the end (to the point of being more punk than metal, I think), it's a great, great track.
Prog or Not? Yes, Prog!

The Willing Well III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth - Nice electronic intro...followed by a song we've heard before. It's Apollo again...whoopdy-doo. This is followed by a neat bit of dual guitar playing, to make up for the repetition. 5 minutes in...it devolves into pop-punk some how. In fact, it's the poppiest punkiest part of the album. And then we go back to Apollo I again (which is a big relief, as I don't like too much pop punk).
Prog or Not? Prog, just like Apollo I.

The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut - A fairly neat prog-metal offering. At 3:30, it begins to sound like David Gilmour is doing a guest appearance. It's wonderful. The final minute of the song is an absolutely hilarious bluegrass acoustic jam. It's just great that they decided to end this portion of a dark, epic saga in a very lighthearted, folksy way.
Prog or Not?: Totally prog.

In summary, the album is fairly polarizing. It's divided between mostly 2/5s and 4/5s. I would give it a 3/5, but I would recommend you download certain tracks rather than buy the whole album. I would also recommend buying the Armory Wars comic if you want to have a prayer at understanding the lyrics.

I say PR, because by my calculations it's about half-prog.

Posted By: magnus
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 20:30
I am not sure what you mean by "New Rock", but since i don't find them proggy or prog-related, I'll choose that option anyway....

-------------
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:00
Definitely prog related.If Mars Volta are here then these guys should be here.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:02
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Definitely prog related.If Mars Volta are here then these guys should be here.

Why?

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:35
I don't know but i think there is a punk element to both of their sounds.I just find Coheed more accessible,more appealing to my tastes.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 21:41
Only sorta proggy, but loads of stuff is sorta proggy these days and if we added them all into the archives we'd be overflowing with data.

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: August 01 2007 at 22:15
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I can only judge them by the material they provide on their homepage. and that material is clearly NOT prog, not even prog related.

So why do you think you have an opinion?

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 00:20
hmmm...

I have only heard one song, I dont really remember too much.

Now that they are being considered on the archives I can listen to themWink

-------------

Posted By: NotSoKoolAid
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 00:21
I don't see what makes Coheed and Cambria any more progressive than any other group out there today.

Posted By: puma
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 00:33
They've got some really interesting syncopations and they're great songwriters. I'd consider them prog-related, but they're far from a full-blown art rock band like Indukti or Van der Graaf

I just wish people would stop comparing Coheed with Rush. Just because the singers have unique voices doesn't necessarily mean the bands sound the same, which they don't at all.

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 00:34
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

I don't see what makes Coheed and Cambria any more progressive than any other group out there today.

So are you calling the "prog" groups of today not prog?

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 02 2007 at 01:17
There are already quite a few threads dealing with C&C's inclusion and possible genre classification,we really don't need any more threads or polls about it.

Whether they get added or not will be up to the owners and admin team.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk