Print Page | Close Window

Abigails Ghost

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40738
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 08:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Abigails Ghost
Posted By: johnobvious
Subject: Abigails Ghost
Date Posted: August 09 2007 at 15:05
Quite a bit of buzz about this band from the States being quite a bit like Porcupine Tree.  Their debut album is called Selling Insincerity.  Anyone heard them and are they slated to be added to PA?

-------------
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday

Replies:
Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:30
Insufficient data points at this time.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:54
If you give us the full details of the band in the Suggest New Bands section of the forum, they can be considered for inclusion.

Date Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:49
All I am getting is stuff from websites selling the album.  Haven't seen reviews or tracklists.  I may just take the plunge, get the album and come back with more info. Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 16:05
I have the record now and it has PT all over it.  Some of the songs have the vocals processed to where they sound like SW.  Maybe a bit more metal than PT but they also have the acoustic guitars sprinkled throughout.  The metal is in the PT mode of being restrained, not anything like Maiden.  The guitar sound is close to Wilson's. The keys have that Barbieri, atmospheric quality and are rarely the main focus of the music but almost always there.  Production is good. The playing and singing are professional.  The artwork has a Deadwing feel to it.

FROM THEIR WEBSITE:

A contemporary rock band comprised of five people committed to a well-tempered musical aesthetic deeply rooted in groove, polyrhythms, lush harmonies, haunting ambience, and thinking man's lyrics. Though the band hails from the Houma/New Orleans area and a few of the members have musical backgrounds in Cajun French and New Orleans style jamming, their sound has most often been compared to the grunge bands of the 90’s and so-called “Krautrock” of the European music scene circa the 1980’s.

I don't know whether to be happy that I have more PT in my collection now or to be bothered that they really didn't make a huge effort to sound different from them.  Their Bass Player (Kenneth Wilson-no relation, ha ha) says in Abstentia is "probably the best album he ever owned."

Admins: Move to Suggest New Bands if you like.

-------------

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 16:09
I got their album last month.  The PT and Blackfield influences are obvious.  But the album itself is just OK, nothing really special.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 16:41
I just got the album myself and as was stated in a few other posts the PT influence is pretty obvious.Not a bad band or album,just nothing too original.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 16:56
^So your vote on inclusion to PA?

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 22:30
I alerted the Psych/Space Rock team to this thread.

I think they have a very good chance at being included in the archives.

-------------

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 04:37
i have a copy of "Selling Insincerity" - the PT influence is obvious but there are some good songs and Prog music there, they get my vote!Smile

i seem to remember discussing Abigail's Ghost in a previous thread...?

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 16:49
I looked for another thread and came up empty.  If there is another one, my apologies.

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 21:09
Are there any samples around the net?

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2007 at 22:12
http://www.digstation.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?albumid=ALB000003297 - http://www.digstation.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?albumid=ALB000003297

Chamberry, sorry I didn't respond. Here's a link with some shortened samples to get an idea.

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 14:38
No worries John. I already found some samples.

From what I've heard I think they'd be better off in one of the new Art Rock genres.. They may be similar to Porcupine Tree, but they aren't space rock nor psychedelic (neither is modern PT, but that's another story).

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 18:03
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

No worries John. I already found some samples.

From what I've heard I think they'd be better off in one of the new Art Rock genres.. They may be similar to Porcupine Tree, but they aren't space rock nor psychedelic (neither is modern PT, but that's another story).

After listening repeatedly to the album I have to agree with you.I originally said they should go into Space/Psych because of the obvious PT influence.But their sound is more akin to the modern era of PT,and Space/Psych isn't the proper genre for that.I think Heavy Prog or Crossover would be a better choice.

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: August 30 2007 at 02:41
Damn, we need a New Prog category! It reflects the passage of time as well, and people won't confuse for instance, URIAH HEEP with PAATOS because they both are from one and the same genre. So many good contemporary bands now are scattered across different genres really belonging to one

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 05:28
I was just about to suggest them until I searched for this thread. I would agree they are very much like modern day Porcupine Tree, so much so in fact that it's verging on plagiarism. Still a very good album though and worth inclusion here.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 05:32
Abigail's Ghost were assessed by the Heavy Prog and Xover Prog team, but unfortunately they were rejected by both. 

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 05:39
^ on which grounds? Their album has "Porcupine Tree" written all over it.Smile

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 05:48
Mike, if you want to know something more, our threads are open to any Collab who wants to know why a given band has been accepted, rejected or put on hold. All I can say now is that we can give them a second round of evaluation, since neither of us is infallible.Wink

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 06:46
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Mike, if you want to know something more, our threads are open to any Collab who wants to know why a given band has been accepted, rejected or put on hold. All I can say now is that we can give them a second round of evaluation, since neither of us is infallible.Wink

Not infallible! Surely not. I hold PA as the Bible of progressive Rock! Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk