Print Page | Close Window

King Crimson Fan Central

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41020
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 04:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson Fan Central
Posted By: Raff
Subject: King Crimson Fan Central
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 20:15
Following the examples set by Rush and Gong fans, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to discuss the various incarnations of this seminal band. I know they're a regular feature of most threads, but this thread could provide a good opportunity for people to focus their thoughts on the mighty KC, their musical output through the decades, their influence, live performances, and what not.

As many of you know, ITCOTCK was one of the very first prog albums I listened to in its entirety. It was an unforgettable experience, even if I was too young to fully grasp the implication of the band's music. My acquaintance with the rest of their production came later, but at this point I can safely say they are one of my favourite bands EVER. Very uncommon for a woman, perhaps, but there you are...Wink

Replies:
Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 20:22
King Crimson is, IMHO, the most progressive band of all time. They established progressive rock with ITOTCK, pioneered both prog and jazz fusion metal with Red and The Great Deceiver, had an interesting, polyrhythmic take on 80s New Wave, then came back at their most metallic, using soundscapes and touch guitars to craft impossibly complex music that manages to be both dissonant and beautiful. Without them, this site would have a lot less bands. Tool comes to mind without thinking.

Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since. Had he been born a few centuries ago, he would have been a circumnavigator.

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 20:58
Yes, very uncommon for a woman; i brought my wife to a CRIMSON concert in 95 at the time of the double trio; she had to leave halfway, couldn't stand the ''Bang--Bang''LOL

Mention  her the name KING CRIMSON and her eyes start rolling!!...or get scaredShocked

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:06
King Crimson are in my permanent top 3 bands of all forever time.  I'm dying to hear something new from them Cry

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:06
same here Aaron

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:14
My favorite band of all time.  I cannot wait for Tony, Pat, Adrian, and Robert to tour again or give us another studio album.  Are they rehearsing in November or September?  

-------------

Posted By: Shwang_Shwinga
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:31
"King Crimson Fan Central"
Isn't that already what ProgArchives is anyway? LOL

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:33
Originally posted by Shwang_Shwinga Shwang_Shwinga wrote:

HAH!!!

no that site is GENESIS fan central LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:35
typical progsnob attitude, not idolizing everything Genesis ever did Wink

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:37
C'mon Micky, lets not be that way!

LTIA Rules!

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:41
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

LTIA Rules!

I love that album.....  does anyone have a problem with Wetton's vocals on that album in particular.  He is not the greatest vocalist ever.. but I didn't think they were bad on it.  I know Raff thinks they are subpar on that one.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:41
not to mention Red, ITOTCK, Great Deceiver, Power to Believe, Discipline, and Lizard

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:45
Lizard doesn't get nearly enough talk. It's not my favorite KC album but I think its the one that impressed me the most. I think Fripp's playing on it is his best.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LTIA Rules!

I love that album.....  does anyone have a problem with Wetton's vocals on that album in particular.  He is not the greatest vocalist ever.. but I didn't think they were bad on it.  I know Raff thinks they are subpar on that one.

I can barely listen to his vocals on exiles, uggh, apallingDead

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:50
^ I love his vocals, especially on Red, but they aren't that hot on LTIA. Although I actually think the flaws in his performance improve "Book Of Saturday"

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:53
I actually agree with you on that statement!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:54
His LTIA material sounds a lot better on The Great Deceiver

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:56
I would get more crimson albums, but the only ones I can find are Itcotck and ltia

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:58
There's such a vast live discography from them that I don't really know what to buy.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 21:59
amazon.com is good place, but if you want The Great Deceiver (and you should because it is the most progressive live album of all time), go to http://www.dgmlive.com/shop.htm - http://www.dgmlive.com/shop.htm It's cheaper here (a lot cheaper, and it ships to you faster).

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:01
Pat, get The Great Deceiver (see my last post for where to find it). Also get B'Boom, Night Watch, and For Absent Lovers

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:01
I'll check it out after I run through my 2007 purchases.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:03
I certainly hope the new SGM, Amaran's Plight, and Explosion in the Sky is on that list

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:05
I Already have the first and last. Should I be having the middle?

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:07
Oh yes, considering how much metal youve reviewed. It's the most emotional metal release of the year. You also need Gazpacho and Symphony X

back on topic, The Great Deceiver shows the band being downright unsettling with their heavy jazz. IMHO the only band of the 70s that was any heavier was the mighty Sabbath.

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:25

LTIA Rules!

I LOVE Wetton's voice!  He's great on Book of Saturday and Exiles, and pretty good on Easy Money.  His best is probably The Night Watch, One More Red Nightmare, or Starless, but he is still excellent throughout LTiA.

-------------

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:33
Lately I'm getting into Belew's voice. IMO he's always regarded to little attention as a singer, but I think he is outstanding.

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:35
I love Belew as well.  I've seen him in concert with the Adrian Belew Power Trio twice now and he's been great both times.  All three "Side" records were fantastic, and several of his albums with King Crimson are undoubtedly prog classics.  

-------------

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:56

Originally posted by Shwang_Shwinga Shwang_Shwinga wrote:

HAH!!!

no that site is GENESIS fan central LOL

I thought it was Dream Theater.

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

Lately I'm getting into Belew's voice. IMO he's always regarded to little attention as a singer, but I think he is outstanding.

Cause he's such a good guitar player.Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:00
Indeed, I'd rate him up with Wetton and Lake

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:05
Those two are bass players... am I not getting something?

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:11
i meant singing. Sorry

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:17
you better be sorryAngry

Hug

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:27
I'll admit that I'm not a particular fan of Belew, but eitherway I feel he has to go. He's been on the KC boat too long; I think it's time for a change of face.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:30
Who do you have in mind as a replacement?

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:37
Mike Patton Tongue

I don't know. I don't have anyone particular in mind. I wouldn't mind hearing a relative unknown in the spot. Bobby seems to have a knack for picking a good fit.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:44
The only thing I think Crimson lacks are good lyrics. They never were the best.

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:44
Mike Patton, lol. I was actually more concerned about the absence of a second guitarist. The Mellotron doesn't get much attention anymore; they need a second guitarist to keep up the soundscapes. The days of Red are over.

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:51
I really liked the two guitar approach, but again I feel it  has begun to stagnate a bit. Bring in a woodwind, brass, or string player instead I say.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2007 at 23:51
The melotron was not very prevelant on ltia anyways...

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:13
Ok, here's the point some people seem to be missing: King Crimson will consist of Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, and Pat Mastellotto.  No matter how much you bitch and moan about it, you aren't gonna get Ian McDonald or Mel Collins or David Cross back, and you aren't gonna get a new frontman.  Seems to me like looking FORWARD to the new King Crimson lineup is a much better idea than looking BACK at how great it was when there were 'trons and saxes and violins abounding.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:18
Nobody is bitching and moaning. I'm just saying I feel that KC isn't progressing forward as much so as in the past and the retention of members, particularly Belew will cause that to happen. I certainly don't want a repeat of the past, however, having an instrument besides guitar won't mean they will release ITCOTCK Act II anymore than having two guitars means they're going to release Discipline again.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 00:28
Hey, it's King Crimson.  I think it's safe to say that this year, they will do something different.  They have always done something different (with the possible exception of the Double Trio-Double Duo transition, but I think Fripp is aware of the need to move on).  What they will do differently this year is up in the air, but I think that it's safe to assume that reeds, brass, and violin are out of the question, as is a new frontman (I personally am looking forward to more Belew).   I'd rather just wait and see how they will surprise us than to go through all the different ways that they won't. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 01:04
Hey I'm cool with whateva the crimson does as long as they are still as challenging as they can possibly be!

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 01:39
As much as I love the Krim, they aren't really challenging at all when compared to RIO, Zeuhl, Kraut, etc. 

-------------

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 03:32
What is it you don't like about John Wetton's vocals? I've always enjoyed his work with KC...

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 07:31

Crimson are in my top five all time favorite bands.  They introduced me to prog in my early years, around 12, with ITCOTCK album.  I remember falling in love with this album.  It took me to places no other music had done before.  I would listen to the whole album in one sitting and be put in another world, each song setting the stage for a trip to far away galaxies, while staring at the cover.  Epitaph was the first time I recall hearing a mellotron and I remember trying to figure out what instrument made that wonderful sound.  Was it a violin, cello, ???  Little did I know it was a keyboard called a mellotron.  After purchasing ITCOTCK, I immediately went to my local record retailer and checked out their other releases.  I was blown away by the covers of In the wake of Posieden and Lizard and bought these releases.  I was thrilled to find the music to be even better.  Prince Rupert Awakes from Lizard with Jon Anderson guesting on vocals blew me away and I had to go get all the Yes albums.  Well the rest is history.  I became and still am a full blown prog junky, thanks to bands like King Crimson.  Clap

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 07:43
I bought my last early KC album yesterday "Starless and bible black" now i gona start buy thiere more modern albums i got all stuff up to "Dicepline" what shuld i get next? I was thinking about the live album "Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal, 1984"  since i dont got any live album yet.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:38
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

LTIA Rules!

I LOVE Wetton's voice!  He's great on Book of Saturday and Exiles, and pretty good on Easy Money.  His best is probably The Night Watch, One More Red Nightmare, or Starless, but he is still excellent throughout LTiA.

I love JOHN WETTON voiceThumbs%20Up, but as i said in previous threads, his voice only got BETTER with age, as the opposite of a lot of rock singers who lost it like...GREG LAKE.  

I remember back then in 1973 when i bought LTIA, i was kind of thrown off by Wetton voice as i didn't find it very refined and kind of harsh at first. But now , he is my favorite singer;
You may or may not like ASIA or his solo works- that' s not the point- but we have to recognized that WETTON  has now a good mighty baritone voice, very clear and very powerful. Starting with LTIA, the quality of his voice improved albaum after album.

Happy recovery, John!

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:43
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since. Had he been born a few centuries ago, he would have been a circumnavigator.

that's arguable; if you follow the career of Peter Hammill you will see lots of tosses and turns there too, including territory Mr. Fripp never dared to put his foot into. or did Fripp ever write an opera?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

that's arguable; if you follow the career of Peter Hammill you will see lots of tosses and turns there too, including territory Mr. Fripp never dared to put his foot into. or did Fripp ever write an opera?

Is it possible to have a discussion with you where it doesn't come down always to Van der Hammill?? LOL  there is A life beyond GOD Peter; We are talking about KC here

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Is it possible to have a discussion with you where it doesn't come down always to Van der Hammill?? LOL  there is A life beyond GOD Peter; We are talking about KC here

I have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.
by the way, Hammill and Fripp are befriended, and Fripp says about Hammill: "hat Jimi Hendrix did for the guitar, Peter Hammil did for the voice".

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:44

[QUOTE=febus][QUOTE=BaldJean] [QUOTE=1800iareyay]
I have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.
".

Where did i say Fripp is the ONLY one who is exploring??????I don't  know  where you get your sources!!!!Big%20smile

But we don't want  this thread hijacked  and let's go back to KC, please! 

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:50
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I bought my last early KC album yesterday "Starless and bible black" now i gona start buy thiere more modern albums i got all stuff up to "Dicepline" what shuld i get next? I was thinking about the live album "Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal, 1984"  since i dont got any live album yet.

Have you got THE GREAT DECEIVER boxset yet?? or USA LIVE? If not , consider them especially now that USA Live remasterised has FRACTURE and STARLESS as extras.

About ABSENT LOVERS, it all depends if you are into ''New wave'' 80s Crimson or not

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:50
Fracture = heart of King Crimson and blueprint for all their subsequent good music.

ITCOTCK = amusing distraction from better music. ;)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 09:55

[QUOTE=BaldJean] [QUOTE=1800iareyay]
".

Where did i say Fripp is the ONLY one who is exploring??????I don't  know  where you get your sources!!!!Big%20smile

I get my source here:
[[QUOTE=1800iareyay]
Unlike their contemporaries who sold out to play it safe, Fripp was fully willing to fall flat on his face, but he'd do so while exploring new sonic territory, and in doing so, moved music farther than anyone before or, for that matter, since.

Here is your quote.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:04
You should buy a pair of glasses; my nickname is FEbus, not 1800iareayeLOLWink

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:06

You should buy a pair of glasses; my nickname is FEbus, not 1800iareayeLOLWink

perhaps it is YOU who should buy glasses; my first statement did not refer to you at all, yet you responded WinkTongue

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:09
 Your quote:have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.

That's here, dear!!! can we let go now , please!

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:13

Your quote:have a life beyond Peter, and I very much like Fripp too. I just couldn't let an inaccurate statement stand like that. Fripp is indeed very exploring, but you said he was the only one who is, and that's not true.

That's here, dear!!! can we let go now , please!

so what? I didn't say the inaccurate statement was made by you.. Wink
anyway, no need to fuss about that

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:13
Semantics are fun

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:18

I really meant Yes, Genesis, and ELP. VDGG are another group beyond reproach, and Hammill is every bit as important to moving rock forward as Bobby. Haven't heard his solo work yet, but it seems to be as well loved as the VDGG stuff, so I'll certainly have to give it a try

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:22
Go get In Camera and The Silent Corner & the Empty Stage

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 13:38
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Semantics are fun

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 13:41
I recently reviewed Islands and gave it the full rating. Since this thread has slightly changed the direction of the real topic, I ask you folks: isn't Islands underrated? IMO yes it is, but am I the only guy who think so?

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 14:01

I recently reviewed Islands and gave it the full rating. Since this thread has slightly changed the direction of the real topic, I ask you folks: isn't Islands underrated? IMO yes it is, but am I the only guy who think so?

Read my review; i am all with you, Sirco:!!!!!
 ISLANDS Heartis great!!!!!!!! and i haven't changed my opinion since 1972! a long time! 

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 14:53

hear  hear .. let us hear no more of Peter Hammill and semantics in this thread...

it probably is underrated...  some  think it is not up to par in comparison to  the rest of their albums...a textbook definition for underrated in the eyes of those who really like it LOLWink

then again... is comparing it to the rest of their albums fair.. considering you are really comparing apples and oranges.

quite simply the album bores me...  but that is just me.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:17
I'm still wondering what people have against John Wetton's singing...

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:20

I'll read your review to find out exactly what you and other people see in the other album. to me, a "gentle" King Crimson album is just a waste of time - being a big fan of their subsequent era, if I came to review it, I'd give it a one.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:33

ISLANDS Heartis great!!!!!!!! and i haven't changed my opinion since 1972! a long time! 

Islands was my introduction to King Crimson. And still thinking it's a great album. The fact that's actually rated under the fourth star is a real shame. Ouch

I'll read your review, BTW

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:36

hear  hear .. let us hear no more of Peter Hammill and semantics in this thread...

it probably is underrated...  some  think it is not up to par in comparison to  the rest of their albums...a textbook definition for underrated in the eyes of those who really like it LOLWink

then again... is comparing it to the rest of their albums fair.. considering you are really comparing apples and oranges.

quite simply the album bores me...  but that is just me.

IMO Islands is up to par in comparison with any other KC early album. Maybe isn't better than Red, ITCOTCK or LTIA, but in that case, it's equally awesome, not worse. And better than Lizard, ITWOP and SABB.

My opinion.

-------------

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 16:41

Beautiful album indeed!  Just because it isn't abrasive and harsh doesn't mean it can't be on the same level as other KC albums (of course some fans will have an immediate gag-reflex to anything with this style)...The title track is one of the most evocative pieces I've ever heard (now if it wasn't for the dreadful "Ladies of the Road" it would be in my top 3 KC albums).

Perfect follow up to the (also) excellent Lizard...these two represent the two ends of KC's spectrum.

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 17:44
I agree with the guy who said that King Crimson is prog's elite fighting force. They always come around when there is a need for something to shake the business around :)

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 19:36
[QUOTE=febus]Yes, very uncommon for a woman; i brought my wife to a CRIMSON concert in 95 at the time of the double trio; she had to leave halfway, couldn't stand the ''Bang--Bang''LOL

Wish we could of been there to help you! What I don't get is why she didn't find  Bill Bruford "CUTE" LOLLOLLOL Because Fripp ain't no Sexy Idol- he lets his hot guitar do the flirting! Shocked By they way , be careful how you use the term "bang-bang" !Ouch

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 20:10
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

It's hard to describe a sub-par vocalist.. it's simply less pleasing to the ear. I think it's an aquired taste, since I used to hate it, and now my feelings are neutral. But, what he lacks in vocal ability, he more than makes up for in bass playing! Clap

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 20:34
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

It's hard to describe a sub-par vocalist.. it's simply less pleasing to the ear. I think it's an aquired taste, since I used to hate it, and now my feelings are neutral. But, what he lacks in vocal ability, he more than makes up for in bass playing! Clap

I don't think Wetton is sub-par at all... As a matter of fact, his voice has improved over the years, while usually singers go in the opposite direction. However, I am not too keen on his performance on LTIA, which features a lot of vocal parts that could've been sung much better by a more experienced vocalist. On SABB and especially "Red", Wetton's singing is much stronger and more expressive (I love his performance on "The Great Deceiver"). It's quite clear that, when he first joined KC for LTIA, he wasn't used to singing lead, and his vocals suffer from the comparison with Lake's.

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 21:06
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I don't think Wetton is sub-par at all... As a matter of fact, his voice has improved over the years, while usually singers go in the opposite direction. However, I am not too keen on his performance on LTIA, which features a lot of vocal parts that could've been sung much better by a more experienced vocalist. On SABB and especially "Red", Wetton's singing is much stronger and more expressive (I love his performance on "The Great Deceiver"). It's quite clear that, when he first joined KC for LTIA, he wasn't used to singing lead, and his vocals suffer from the comparison with Lake's.

Exactly what i said in a previous threadTongue he was good! he got better and he is still great, just listen to his voice on ICON  1 + 2 or  the last ASIA ''live in Tokyo''
.......so POWERFUL!!!

Hope he comes back healthy!

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 21:10
No matter how many threads, polls, recommendations KC will ever get... it´s still not enough, keep em coming LOL

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 22:39
I don't care too much for Wetton's voice. I prefer more Lake & Belew, though. But he's undoubtely a great bass player.

-------------

Posted By: cookieacquired
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 22:46
Lets us all join hands and rejoice for King Crimson

hooray

hooray

hooray

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: August 19 2007 at 23:38

If I could punch you right now, I would. Angry

ClownHug

Posted By: pero
Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 03:46
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

King Crimson are in my permanent top 3 bands of all forever time.  I'm dying to hear something new from them Cry

Mine too, but yust the opposite I'm quite satisfied  with old stuff (until USA)

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 03:50

LTIA Rules!

What?? Wetton is fantastic vocal (ref. to Book of saturday), but if you want to know what would be if Hammil was KC singer listen to "Exiles" - David Cross

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 03:54
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Don't bother with new stuff. Old one is good enough LOL.

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 04:00

Islands was my introduction to King Crimson. And still thinking it's a great album. The fact that's actually rated under the fourth star is a real shame. Ouch

Finally someone with good taste. Clap

Posted By: Morda
Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:36
King Crimson is absolutely legendary - huge fan of ITCOTCK and Red. And Discipline, actually.

Incidentally, any recommendations for any post-Discipline KC albums? I've tried to get into some of the THRAK ones but haven't really managed it, I'll probably "get" them at some later point.

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 09:41
Power to Believe. I don't know if you'd qualify that as one of the THRAK ones but it's their best since Discipline. The live albums are always good. For Absent Lovers and B'Boom are the best (after the mighty Great Deceiver of course)

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 10:19
Originally posted by Morda Morda wrote:

King Crimson is absolutely legendary - huge fan of ITCOTCK and Red. And Discipline, actually.

Incidentally, any recommendations for any post-Discipline KC albums? I've tried to get into some of the THRAK ones but haven't really managed it, I'll probably "get" them at some later point.

Give one more chance to THRAK;Heart  i gave up on 80s new wave KC back then, tried THRAK when it came out, and loved it dearly snce., especially, the first 4 numbers of the CD...very powerful!!!!  that the new Crimson mixing with the old one; just perfect.
....a 5 star album for me.....even the FIRST  one i reviewed here.

On the other hand, you can lve without THE CONSTRUKTON of LiGHTConfused

POWER TO BELIEVE is excellent too, but a few too metallic tracks with poor vocals, but that's just me!!Big%20smile

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 13:33
ConstruKction has a few solid tracks; I find that the title track is one of my top-ten all time favorite Krim tracks, and Frying Pan is a quite enjoyable piece as well.  I think anybody who enjoys The Power to Believe should at least have a copy of this. 

The Power to Believe is indeed marvelous, though Happy with What You Have to be Happy With is an awful song. 

I've never been a huge fan of Islands.  The songs are just weak.  There isn't a single song on that album which I would take over a song on any of their other seventies albums. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 13:38
I think all the instrumentals on both ConstruKction and The Power to Believe are wonderful! it's the "songs" that bother me

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 13:48
Neither Islands nor Lizard appeal to me, I think they had massive potential but it was never fully realised, which is a shame.

However, LTIA onwards is great, and I think Wetton is a good singer, even though I prefer Belew.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Viajero Astral
Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 14:02
One of the first prog bands I heard in my life, and now they are my favourite of all, not only on prog, but in general too.

I love all their albums, the 80 stuff is ok, Discipline is the only one that I will call one of their masterpieces of that period.

Is good to hear that Tony Levin is back again, I love the feeling he put in the songs.

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 20:02
Another underrated album from their earlier era was indeed In The Wake Of Poseidon. See my review for further thoughs. IMO it's a kind of the twin brother of ITCOTCK. Another album that I love, ITWOP.

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 20:06

Another underrated album from their earlier era was indeed In The Wake Of Poseidon. See my review for further thoughs. IMO it's a kind of the twin brother of ITCOTCK. Another album that I love, ITWOP.

Twin brother??? not really!  .....only half twin sister!LOL 

The second side of the LP has absolutely nothing to do with ITCOTCK; this is what gives IN THE WAKE its own personality...own strength!!!........and charmHeart

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 20:09
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

Finally someone with good taste. Clap

Many thanks Embarrassed...... Although the taste is very personal and it's hart to talk about a good or bad taste; there are just different ones, IMO some more aquired than others (don't saying that mine is more aquired, btw Wink).

And I did read your review, Febus, and your first sentence is killer: DEPRESSION MADE BEAUTY. That's a quite exact way to explain Islands  Clap

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2007 at 20:14

Twin brother??? not really!  .....only half twin sister!LOL 

The second side of the LP has absolutely nothing to do with ITCOTCK; this is what gives IN THE WAKE its own personality...own strength!!!........and charmHeart

In my review I have a more developed idea of what I wanna mean... I think the innovation on ITWOP is the song 'Cat Food', because 'The Devil's Triangle' is different too, but you can hear practically the same instrumental work: the mellotrons, the crescendos, etc., that you also could find on ITCOTCK.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 09:00

I can barely listen to his vocals on exiles, uggh, apalling

Glad to have heard some positive noises about Wetton's vocals by now. Personally I enjoy "Exiles", at least the USA version, which is the one I always listen to.
I like Belew too, as long as he doesn't get too neurotic. "One time", for example, is brilliant!

Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 10:59
Now here's a question: What do you all think is the most able to dance to Crimson song?

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 11:42
Originally posted by Floydian42 Floydian42 wrote:

Now here's a question: What do you all think is the most able to dance to Crimson song?

Thela Hun Ginjeet

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk