Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4108
Printed Date: May 29 2024 at 02:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: uriah heep for golden era
Posted By: rivera`s hope
Subject: uriah heep for golden era
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 12:04
avant-garde-outstanding metal-prog fusion!!!...

-------------
for waters,peter rivera and their ultimate words of wisdom

Replies:
Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 12:16

I like Look at Yourself (The album with July Morning) more than any other Heep release, but it wasn't their Golden era, because neither Gary Thain or Lee Kerslake had joined the band.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: mirco
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 12:21
Pretty obvious answer... eve if I had to look to lady in black, a long time forgotten song...

-------------
Please forgive me for my crappy english!

Posted By: Possessed
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 13:18
Another vote for July Morning!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 13:41

July morning for me too, despite my forum name!Embarrassed

Ivan, "Look at yourself" wasn't by the classic line up, but it was certainly from the band's golden era. Wink

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 13:53

Originally posted by rivera`s hope rivera`s hope wrote:

avant-garde-outstanding metal-prog fusion!!!...

I hope that's a joke, coz I'm LMAOROTFL

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 13:55
July morning, followed by Easy livin'. Two of the best songs ever.

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 14:01
Uriah Heep rule, but I wish they didn't have Mick Box as guitar player.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 14:07

Only four Uriah albums for me:

'Very eavy,Very umble'

'Sailsbury'

'Look @ yourself'

'Deamond & wizzards'

http://www.unseenuni.freeserve.co.uk/K9.jpg"> 

Posted By: Angeliqué
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 14:24
JULY MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gypsy is another one of my fave classics...........

-------------
Just take a pebble, and cast it to the sea....

Angeliqué

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 15:16

The mighty Uriah heep my very favourite band in my teen years, how I loved these icons of the early 70's.

Just picture this Byron in full flow,Hensley hanging over the Hammond.Box hammering out the gut ripping chords of Gypsy and the strobe light capturing every moment in time and your sitting only 6 feet away from them and it's 1972 and how I wish I had a frickin time machine.

Loved all their albums up to Sweet Freedom but July Morning is a classic song from a classic rock band and gets my vote.

Posted By: frosty
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 16:36
I love the keyboards in July Morning so it gets my vote.

A mention to the Rock n Roll Medley on their live album though. The power that emanates from this track is amazing and its a wonder the ceilings on the venues they played at were still intact at the end of the performance. Maybe Fragile can shed some light?

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 19:55
I like Gypsy, but overall Juli Morning reigns. Look at yourself, One of the few Uriah albums I have.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 20:01

Hey frosty, just in from my usual Sunday night out  ,half jaked, but to throw some light on this magnificent band they took me on an incredible spin in my early teens  ;I seeped Uriah heep at one point so passionate was I about them; Byron was a major singer and I loved this band so much.But your'e right the ceilings rocked and seeing them at the Glasgow Greens Playhouse the best rock venue in the whole damn world made my time then unbelievablely amazing.How can I convey what it was like seeing them they were simply awesome and shaped alot of my taste in music but to go back to the Electric Gardens and witness them in their rawness will never ever leave me.

John

And welcome to this great site the more Scots the better

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: March 06 2005 at 21:07

I managed to raise a laugh when my old prog band was interviewed on radio about 4 years ago ... and each of us were asked to name our very favourite band ... I followed the guitarist's Yes, the drummer's Rush and the bassist's Pink Floyd ... with Uriah Heep

Prog is my favourite style but I have some problems thinking of Heep as a prog band (in my collection it's next to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Rainbow under 70's hard rock) ... although they distinctly have prog moments ... especially

Gypsy on the Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble album
Salisbury on the Salisbury album
Shadows Of Grief and July Morning on the Look At Yourself album
Paradise/The Spell on the Demons And Wizards album

Lady In Black is my favourite Heep song, but in the prog context July Morning is way ahead of the other tracks listed here ...

For me, the classic period extends almost all the way through the Byron era (the last Byron album High'N'Mighty had two brilliant songs in Footprints In The Snow and Weep In Silence) ... although if pushed I'd have to say that Heep's first six albums (up til Sweet Freedom) were their strongest ... the obvious classic line-up being Byron, Box, Hensley, Thain and Kerslake ...

Ken Hensley is still my all-time favourite songwriter ... and I'll never forget collapsing to the ground after getting an e-mail from him ... i also accosted Mick Box for his autograph once ... he must be the most down-to-earth rock legend ever ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Rob The Good
Date Posted: March 07 2005 at 02:21
Same for me really...Uriah Heep are definitely one of my favourite bands. 'Lady In Black' was the first song of theirs I REALLY loved, but the most prog-metal moment they've had has got to be July Morning.

Even though S A L I S B U R Y is still pretty damn good!

-------------
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.

Posted By: Jim Prog Wizard
Date Posted: March 07 2005 at 03:45
You forgot Circle of Hands, an absolute classic!

-------------
"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:06
what, no Salibury?

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 14:06
July Morning, every freakin' time!

Here we see the chaps running away before Ken's solo gets out of hand (poor David having slipped whilst distracted by a particularly ill-advised Moog arpeggio)

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 15:37

Great picture Jim brings back irreplaceable memories.Once had a letter that Ken Hensley wrote to me about songwriting, but foolishly I disgarded it, what an idiot They meant so much to me even after I realised that Yes and prog were my Universe.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 15:48
That picture could have been taken at the Apollo/Greens Playhouse Fragile, eh!? 'Appy days indeed.Big smile

Posted By: Raymon7174
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 16:14

Yes this thread brings back golden memories. I saw UH in the convention center in Louisville, KY, USA, in 1972. At that time my brother had Demons and Wizards and I had The Magician's Birthday (on 8-track unfortunately). After the concert I picked up Uriah Heep, and later Look At Yourself, both on LP. I eventually got Salisbury, Sweet Freedom and Wonderworld, all LPs fortunately. Of the choices listed, my vote goes for July Morning. Other fav's include Gypsy ( I damn near wore out the grooves on side A of the Uriah Heep LP), The Wizard, Circle of Hands (swiped Demons and Wizards from brother so frequently it seemed like part of my collection) and the title cut from Wonderword (even though Wonderworld is clearly not as good as earlier works).

Five-smile memories for sure.

-------------
Raymon

Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: July 18 2005 at 08:34
JULY MORNING RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: yesman72
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 20:49

The Wizard or July Morning, although  sometimes i prefer Circle of Hands. Of course Paradise/The Spell is great. Easy livin' is a short but sweet masterpiece. Its a tough question that leads me to another question....why is Poet's Justice so overlooked????It has pretty much every Heep trademark in it. Well anyways they're ll great!

One more thing i must address. Although Mr. box didn't have the chops of other guitarists, he had the best wah-wah sound ever and was great at composing simple yet epic solos. Check out the harmonies on Circle of Hands, and the solos in Salisbury(you can actually him turn on the wah-wah) Keep On Trying, and the amazing solos in Time To Live.

Keep on proggin everyone!!!!

Posted By: yesman72
Date Posted: July 20 2005 at 20:51
Had to give Easy Livin' the vote. Someones gotta do it.

Posted By: DeathRow
Date Posted: July 21 2005 at 01:06
                   Lady In Black
            Salisbury
                       Gypsy
                    Easy Livin'
                    July Morning
            Look At Yourself

-------------
PEACE OUT

Posted By: Ethereal
Date Posted: July 25 2005 at 09:21
I voted for July Morning because Easy Living is like a trademark for Uriah heep. And just imagine if I were to vote for "it's gotta be love..lalala" lol

-------------
http://www.etherealstatus.info - http://www.etherealstatus.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk