Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41100
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 11:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Languages Can You Speak?
Posted By: Leningrad
Subject: What Languages Can You Speak?
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:04
Just a simple poll. Myself, I know English, a bit of Spanish and very little French. I'd like to try learning Italian, German and Russian though.

And you?

Replies:
Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:08
 English and  Spanish both fluently, I am taking a Japanese course next semester.

Posted By: cookieacquired
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:11
english is primary

in spanish class for 4 years

knwo about twenty words each of french and german

and wanna learn japanese

-------------

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:16
My native Portuguese plus a few of English and Spanish and a bit of French. I may read Italian and other neo-Latin languages like Catalán and Gallego (the last one is very close to Portuguese).

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:19

Spanish is the only  i can speak fluently LOL, English is close, and Italian a bit

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: August 21 2007 at 23:26
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Spanish is the only  i can speak fluently 

We can tell.  Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 00:11
I speak English.  That's it.  

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 00:17
English, and expect me to get better with my Spanish really soon once I start my college course in it. It's been 3 years....

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 00:23
English...and Indonesian obviously

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 02:55
Spanish my native language,..english like the indians in cowboy pictures..italian only for read and write(50%).     .I can read and  understand portuguese of Brazil (40%) ,but  I dont understand   the portuguese of Portugal(5%)...and some words in other languages

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 06:24
English is my native language; I am equally fluent in German meanwhile after having lived in Germany for 14 years. I can make myself understood in Italian, French, Spanish and Dutch

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 06:33
I speak Romanian (of course), English (not bad I'd say), but I have a problem with French; I've studied a lot of French in school and theoretically I have the basics, but if I start the TV or radio on a French station, I understand nothing of what those people say, they speak very fast and intertwine words. This is very annoying and inhibiting and it turned me off from trying to improve my skills; if I ever get to France, I'll speak English, damn it. There are actually many middle and old aged people here in Romania that speak perfectly French, slower and with mouth fully open and actually using their tongue to differentiate between different sounds as everyone should; when they I listen to them it's pure bliss, seeming like the spirit of the French language and culture survives in the wrong place.

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 06:52
Français, mon ami. Gotta love that Canadian education.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 07:04
My native language is German; I lived in the UK for some time when I was a little kid, so I speak English equally well. Jean and I switch between English and German at home all the time. I understand a lot of Italian, French, Spanish and almost all of Dutch (Dutch is very close to German, and it is quite easy for me to read a Dutch Newspaper, but I don't speak it myself).

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 07:21
English for preference, plus a minute smattering of Arabic - I always try to learn how to say hello, goodbye, please & thank you in the native language of anywhere I visit - we loved Tunisia so much, it just went on from there... I can order a beer & ask for a packet of cigarettes too, now.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Seyo
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 07:21
Fluent in English.

Native Serbo-Croatian which all of a sudden turned into 3 or even 4 "different" languages - Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian (Montenegrin on the way), so I kind of became polyglote...LOL

Learnt some French and German but can only read some simple sentences.

Can understand related languages to my native: Slovene, Macedonian and Bulgarian.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 07:35
Russian is the one I usually speak, Ukrainian is my native one (I use it rare,'coz I live in area which is almost Russia, and everyone uses Russian only), English and German are my profilic languages (I'm a would-be teacher of both), but I know German very bad, to be fairly honest(got a prove this summer on Loreley fest!!! ). I'd like to learn Italian since I fell in love with all these bands like LOCANDA DELLE FATE and PFM...

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 07:40
Just mine (spanish), but my english has been improved along this year (thanks to PA, I'd say)

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 08:09
English aside, I can manage OK in French (although French speaking members who have met me may disagreeWink) plus odd phrases in Spanish, Italian and Japanese. 

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 08:12
I just show it with a ranking

- German (because it's native) Embarrassed
- English (could be better - I'm working hard) Big%20smile
- Italian (enough for small talk in Italy) Shocked

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 08:20
I speak Canadian.

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 08:46
Hungarian first of course.Big%20smile
Then English and German, and learned Latin for a year, but I don't remember much.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:29
Im pretty good at Swedish actuallyLOL

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:30
I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:33
  1. Swedish
  2. English
  3. Norwegian (It's like swedish with a funny accent and strange words Tongue)
  4. French (Pretty bad at it)

Tongue

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:36
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

1. Norwegian (It's like swedish with a funny accent and strange words Tongue)

Tongue

I think the opposite actuallyLOL 

I love Swedish anywaysTongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:39
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Tongue

I think it's harder for Swedes to try Norwegian, than the opposite Wink

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 09:56

Tongue

True.

When I speak Swedish however, It's more in the Ronny & Ragge fashion thoughLOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:06

Tongue

True.

When I speak Swedish however, It's more in the Ronny & Ragge fashion thoughLOL

LOL

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

English is my native language; I am equally fluent in German meanwhile after having lived in Germany for 14 years. I can make myself understood in Italian, French, Spanish and Dutch

Where are you from originally, if you don't mind me asking?  Always assumed you were German.

Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:12
English (obviously), a bit of French (4 years in high school), smattering of Spanish, German, Italian...as Jim Garten said, when I visit a country I try to learn a few words to make an attempt at communication.  I don't know how it goes for the British, but the natives of Germany and Italy could instantly tell I was American by my pathetic attempts at speaking their languages LOL  They would laugh and then just start speaking English.  Hopefully they appreciated my effort, though.  Smile

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

I speak Romanian (of course), English (not bad I'd say), but I have a problem with French; I've studied a lot of French in school and theoretically I have the basics, but if I start the TV or radio on a French station, I understand nothing of what those people say, they speak very fast and intertwine words. This is very annoying and inhibiting and it turned me off from trying to improve my skills; if I ever get to France, I'll speak English, damn it. There are actually many middle and old aged people here in Romania that speak perfectly French, slower and with mouth fully open and actually using their tongue to differentiate between different sounds as everyone should; when they I listen to them it's pure bliss, seeming like the spirit of the French language and culture survives in the wrong place.

Too true. I can speak French with anyone.... as long as it isn't their first language. Wink

As for me, I speak:

- Finnish (obviously)
- English
- French (not great, but I can manage)
- Swedish (^ ditto)

I'm trying to learn Italian, but it'll take some time.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:15
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Where are you from originally, if you don't mind me asking?  Always assumed you were German.

I am originally from the USA (Oakland, CA) and came to Germany in 1993. Friede, my wife (same-sex marriage), is German though

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:17

French and English, French being my primary language.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:18
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

Shut up, Golden Rod !!!
WinkLOL

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:19
I speak the language of love.  Too bad no one listens.  Cry 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Dalezilla
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:25
I speak Canadian, Finnish and a little Swedish. I've tried German too.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by Dalezilla Dalezilla wrote:

Confused  I was unaware of a language called Canadian.  I believe they speak either French or English. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: limeyrob
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:59
In no particular order

English
Complete B*****ks (if you believe my wife)

Posted By: Dalezilla
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Dalezilla Dalezilla wrote:

Confused  I was unaware of a language called Canadian.  I believe they speak either French or English. 

Eh? Wink

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 14:13
SmileEnglish, plus a petite bit of Francais, eine kleine Deutsch, and a few words of Finnish.

I also speak some Gartenese, when properly primed with beer & beans -- parp! Embarrassed

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: fungusucantkill
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:17
I can speak Portuguese, Spanish, and English

woo!

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:22
Fluent in English
Pretty darn close in French (good enough that I can teach English Language Arts in French......with aid of a dictionary Embarrassed)
I read and write Latin but since there really is no use in speaking it, I didn't bother learning that.
I get by in Italian because I can read and I can curse (very vividly might I add Wink)

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:32
I always write to my CV, that I speak Finnish, of course, as mothertongue, English, German and Swedish fluently, some French, a bit of Spanish. Then again, I'm taking Spanish and Japanese (+German and French) lessons at the moment in the uni, so they'll grow bigger. Yay.

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:46

Of course Dutch, at school I have learned German, French, Latin (one year) and Spanish (two years), because my wife was born on Aruba I have learned some Papiamentu (native language on Aruba and the Dutch Antilles, it's a blend of Spanish, Portuguese, English and Dutch) and I speak some RPI Italian Wink Because my best friend is half-Portuguese I am busy to learn some Portuguese but it's more difficult than Spanish although it's a bit similar, the same way Italian looks a little bit like Spanish.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 18:50
My mother tongue is Spanish, but I can speak English very fluently (although its been years since I had a conversation in English).

I also know a little French. I had a year and a half taking French in high school,  but I forgot most of the things I've learned so I'm starting all over again by myself. So far so good. Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: MrHiccup
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:03
Let's see...

-Spanish (my mothertongue)
-English (quite fluently)

-French (actually, I don't speak it, but I can understand it quite well if I have a dictionary or a translation software like Babelfish, since it's similar to English and Spanish in some aspects)
-Italian (with this one I use the same technique as with French, but it's easier, since it has a lot in common with Spanish) Tongue
-Portuguese (this one is even easier to understand for me than Italian)

-Slovenian (only a few words, since my grandparents spoke it)

And I've tried learning a little Japanese by myself, too. Not easy.LOL

I dont like to use Babelfish to translate sentences, since it's not thrustworthy. I only use it to translate single words, and then I use my brain to translate the whole sentence. It's slower, but it's a safer method.Wink

-------------
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:08
Well...

Russian -- as a native language.

Hebrew -- pretty fluent.

English -- ... as you can see. The writing and understanding of the written text is better than speaking and understanding of the spoken English. I didn't have too much troubles when being abroad (both in England and in the continental Europe) though...

French -- I took classes on French and was able to understand written text pretty well some years ago. I still can understand it, more or less, with lesser degree of success, though. Speaking and understanding are much more difficult...

Being a native speaker of Russian I can understand many words and even phrases in Ukrainian and Byelorussian (as they are the closest to Russian), and a lesser amount of words in other Slavic languages (mostly Czech and Polish), preferably when they are written...

Plus many words from some other languages (with no relations to the fact whether I have or have not been to the respective countries)...

Eugene

PS -- like some posters above already said, I try to catch / to learn at least some words when I am in a different country.

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:25
Logically, Spanish, as it's my mother tongue. Also, English fluently (I'm learning english since I have 6!).

And since I entered in highschool (13), I learned French (so far so good, but I cannot speak it fluently) and, which I like very much, Latin (since it's very hard to speak it -and a very few people in the world are capable of that-, I know very much the idiom and how to understand it, very deeply).

Multiple votes should be enabled for this thread.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Barla/?chartstyle=LastfmMyspace">

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:41
^ I'm pretty sure they are enabled. Smile

As for people who know many different languages, which ones are the easiest/hardest to learn?

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:58
I struggle in English and that's about it really.

Five years of French lessons at school and I still stutter and mumble incoherently when ordering a beer in France and end up pointing and nodding with a stupid grin on my face. There really is something dreadfully wrong with the English education system with its complete inability to produce children who can speak a second language inspite of years of forced lessons. This is as true today as it was 30 years ago - we spend so much time learning to congugate verbs and what that past-participle plu-freeking-perfect tense is that any desire to actually HAVE A CONVERSATION is completly disregarded (I neither know nor care what the pluperfect tense is in English - let alone French, yet I can speak and write English like a flipping native and have been able to since I was very small). I wanted to learn German but was not allowed to because I was so bad at French - where is the Censoreding logic in that? There is nothing remotely similar in the two languages and surely it is easier to teach a language to someone who actually wanted to learn it than force them to endure a language they have no affinity with?

Sorry, I rant (you rant, he rants, we rant, youse rants, they rant - rantingly simple really). Yep, I'm embarrassed to be English Embarrassed - but, like Jim and others, I do try and pick up odd words and phrases in whatever country I'm in.

Still in three days time I'm off to sunny Brittany where I can practice some more of my incoherent mumbling, pointing, nodding and inane grinning. And if the 5 Euro note in my hand does get me a beer then the International language of hard cash is dead.

I am fairly well versed in BASIC, C, Pascal and Coral-66 but I can't speak them.

Oh, and I can speak American, I haven't tried Canadian yet because I haven't been there and what little Australian I know I've only picked up from watching Neighbours and Skippy.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Hyperborea
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 20:02
English at a push...but then i come from Scotland

-------------
As i race o'er this beautiful sphere, Like a dog who is chasing his.....

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 20:33
Dean: it seems that the problem is omnipresent. The only impression I have from the Soviet system of foreign language teaching is that it was intended as if in purpose not to teach, or to teach anything totally impossible to use...

As for the eaiest and hardest languages to learn -- it was Hebrew for me, in both directions. This language is very easy to learn to speak, due to its "mathematical" nature -- once you've learnt a template, you've learnt all the similar words in all their conjugations and declensions, and Hebrew is the templatic language.

It was also the hardest at the same time, since it is not easy to learn to read and to write in language which is written from right to left (presuming you're used to read and to write in the opposite direction all of your life), and due to the lack of signs for vowels. However, once you catch the principle, it's only the question of training...

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:02
Spanish, english and german... 

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: 1800iareyay
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:06
Dean, I know exactly what you're talking about. I had 6 years of French and I probably only know enough to get laughed at or slapped. I could only have a conversation if the person i was talking to was kind enough to speak every word ridiculously slowly so I could digest it.

Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:22
English, some Mandarin :)

-------------

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 23:26
English is the only language I can fluently speak.  I had three years of German in high school, but I didn't have a good teacher.

Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

SmileEnglish, plus a petite bit of Francais, eine kleine Deutsch, and a few words of Finnish.

I also speak some Gartenese, when properly primed with beer & beans -- parp! Embarrassed

Well I did teach you how to burp "Bks" - always nice to have a little cultural exchange

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Seyo
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:05
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

^ I'm pretty sure they are enabled. Smile

As for people who know many different languages, which ones are the easiest/hardest to learn?

Multiple votes are not enabled (at least at my PC), so the poll is not very accurate. I chose "other" because my native tongue is not listed, although I am fluent in English.

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:07
I have voted English and other... That must be multiple votes. Confused

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Oh, and I can speak American

LOL  And thanks to the Grey/Ranting Room, my British is much improved!

Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 13:13
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Oh, and I can speak American

LOL  And thanks to the Grey/Ranting Room, my British is much improved!
ar, it be that

-------------
What?

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 14:01
Dutch, English, German and a tiny bit of French.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: August 24 2007 at 15:58
Spanish, English, and some German

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 00:28
English and in the process of learning French

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: August 25 2007 at 18:09
Well Swedish ,English and Norwegian but its allmost the same as swe i dno if i can speak it realy but i understand most of the stuff when i hear it same with Danish also preety similar to Swedish.

-------------

Posted By: Badabec
Date Posted: August 26 2007 at 09:53
My mother tongue is German, but I speak English and French too.

-------------
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 16:17
I used to speak the "Language of Love". Then I got married and its getting kind of rusty.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 16:23
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I used to speak the "Language of Love". Then I got married and its getting kind of rusty.

LOL

Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 16:35
Haven't picked that one up yet...

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 18:20
I tried spanish in school, now I wonder whether or not I would enjoy myself if I ever went to latin america, or spain.

-------------

Posted By: ProgRobUK
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 19:15
English as mother tongue
French - un petit peu
Scot Gaelic - no prog bands sing in gaelic as far as I know
Greek (modern) - or so I fooled myself until a recent visit to Cyprus proved I'd forgotten it all
Latin - all now well forgotten despite 4 years of it
Once was a member of a small group trying to learn an invented language called Loglan

Think that's it...

Cheers,

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 21:48
My serious answer to this is that I am native English speaking.  I can speak enough Spanish to get by in a health care setting...¿Como se siente?...¿Tiene dolor? ....etcetra.  I am usually prepared for replies, but sometimes I get something back from left field.  Talking to Spanish speakers about soccer is a good ice breaker during subjective assessment.  We have a high population of Spanish only speakers here. 
I learned enough German to get by in Bavaria, Austria, and Switzerland. But honestly if you can't find an English speaker in those places, you're just not trying very hard.  My 3 days in Italy also required I learn a handful of courtesies. 

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: August 29 2007 at 23:53
I have a loose grasp on English

Posted By: meinmatrix
Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 04:39
English, Swedish and Finnish. Finnish is my first language since i happen to be a Finn. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by ProgRobUK ProgRobUK wrote:

English as mother tongue
French - un petit peu
Greek (modern) - or so I fooled myself until a recent visit to Cyprus proved I'd forgotten it all
Once was a member of a small group trying to learn an invented language called Loglan

Think that's it...

Cheers,
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1509 - Horslips  are one Gaelic Prog band that springs to mind, though I'm sure there must be others (Runrig and Capercaillie fall short of being prog)

-------------
What?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 02 2007 at 18:09
  • Spanish: Of course
  • English
  • German: Only 1 year of study, so I may survive and not starve in germany, but don't ask me more. LOL
  • Italian: My mother's family speak that language, though I understand it much better than i speak it.
  • Portuguese: took some classes and it's easier for Spanish speakers.
  • Latin: Well it was mandatory for my career.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2007 at 08:03
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I speak the language of love.  Too bad no one listens.  Cry 

That'll be because men are from Mars, women are from Venus & you're from Uranus!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: September 03 2007 at 08:10
A peculiar mix of British English and American English (that's what you get for learning to talk in England and then living in California for 12 years and move back to England).

I can also speak a tiny bit of Spanish. I plan to take it up again soon.

Date Posted: September 03 2007 at 08:34
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

A peculiar mix of British English and American English (that's what you get for learning to talk in England and then living in California for 12 years and move back to England).
My daughter does that without ever visiting the USA - just from watching television. (Or rather ... just from watching television? as she is apt to say having adopted the infuriating High Rising Terminal from being adicted to Buffy and Friends) Now whenever she and her friends gather around our house chatting, I put on Zappa's Valley Girl very loudly and quietly chuckle away to myself.

-------------
What?

Posted By: ProgRobUK
Date Posted: September 05 2007 at 17:43

Originally posted by ProgRobUK ProgRobUK wrote:

English as mother tongue
French - un petit peu

Think that's it...

Cheers,
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1509 - Horslips  are one Gaelic Prog band that springs to mind, though I'm sure there must be others (Runrig and Capercaillie fall short of being prog)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've heard of Horslips and probably heard some of their music but don't really remember it.  I'll have to take a listen.

As to Runrig, there's some experimental, sort of proggish stuff opening the album Mara - but not enough to make them proggers!

Cheers

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 12:06
Italian (native language)
English (not bad at all, I'd sayCry...)
French (used to be better, but it's still pretty decent)
German (not as good as the former, but OK)
Finnish (somewhat rusty after a few years, but when I lived there I got quite fluent)

Like most educated Italians, I can understand written and spoken Spanish, and can also speak it to some degree, though I've never had any formal tuition. I also have a smattering of Swedish that I acquired during my stay in Finland (took classes for three years). Anyway, languages used to be my daily bread until 2001, since I was a language teacher for over 15 year (English, then Italian).

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 17:25
I'm fluent in English and Spanish, and I'm taking Portuguese at the moment.

Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 19:47
Me llamo Espanol un poco, pero nada mucho. Despues de mi clase de Espanol este semestre, mi Espanol (will be)....mas o menos. Big%20smile

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 19:53
English.... both the southern and 'normal' dialects LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 20:17
Q. What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
A. Trilingual.

Q. What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A. Bilingual.

Q. What do you call a person who speaks only one language?
A. American.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Hirgwath
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 20:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

A. American.

That's not true any more. The majority of young Americans will take Spanish as their foreign language requirement in school. And beyond that, we really don't need anything. That's not snobbery...we hardly ever run into the continental Europeans unless we're on vacation (or when using the internet).

-------------

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 20:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Q. What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
A. Trilingual.

Q. What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A. Bilingual.

A. American.

hahahha.. yeah something like that.... the question is.... which language is it.  Half the country speaks English.. and we have those enlightened folks who, like me, studied languages like French and German..... only to find that 20 years later... the French and Germans never invaded and the other half of the country speaks Spanish AND English LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 20:36
I am fluent in English and semi-fluent in Kobaian.  

-------------

Posted By: Proglodita
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 22:58

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Me llamo Espanol un poco, pero nada mucho. Despues de mi clase de Espanol este semestre, mi Espanol (will be)....mas o menos. Big%20smile

Nice name that, Espanol...

Does anyone speak Esperanto?

-------------
P

Date Posted: September 12 2007 at 01:03
^ Embarrassed

Dunno what I was thinking then. All I know is I was tired. Sleepy

Should be "hablo" or a similar verb.

-------------

Posted By: progcabaretdoll
Date Posted: September 12 2007 at 03:27
Most Malaysians, like me are trilingual (our national language = Malay + English + native language).

As for me, I'm an ethnic Chinese, so naturally Mandarin is my mother tongue.
Know a tiny bit of French. Hope to learn it "properly" as well as Hindi and Italian.

Posted By: cacha71
Date Posted: September 16 2007 at 17:44
LANGUAGES!!!!!
I love languages
My native tongue is English but I speak Greek and German fairly fluenty (I live in Greece and studied German at University), I studied French to advanced level when I was at school and Spanish for two years (though I really can't remember all that much). 

Actually I have a strange problem with languages.  When I hear music from another country which I really like, I want to understand the lyrics, as I feel that understanding them is really important to appreciating the music.  I will go to extraordinary lengths to try to understand them, such as buying a dictionary and grammar reference book.  I think it is also partly curiosity.

Actually, it might even be worth starting a thread to see if any other members have had the same experience.

Thinking or changing my login name to "Babelfish"  Why didn't I think of this before?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: September 18 2007 at 22:46
Dutch (native speaker)
English (very good, allmost like Dutch)
German (reasonably well, I live within 1 km of the German border)
French (I get around...)
Portuguese (not good enough, wish it was better...)

Other languages I'm crap.

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: activetopics
Date Posted: September 19 2007 at 19:45
English + some italian ^^

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: September 20 2007 at 14:27
A speak:
Danish
English
German
Portuguese

In addition I can read
Swedish
Norwegian
French
Spanish (to my big surprise since I've never studied Spanish)

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: September 20 2007 at 22:48
English is my native language. Besides that, I speak German, but I could polish it a bit...or a lot. I'd like to learn Spanish and Arabic as well, so I'll see how that goes. Maybe something else....

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: September 20 2007 at 23:21
I grok Tralfamadorian. Wink

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Revan
Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 00:37
Croatian (and naturally therefore manage the rest of the languages from ex-yu, and understand at some point most slavic languages)
Spanish
English

Read:
Portuguese
French
Italian

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 21:53
I only speak French, I can't even write English. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk