URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41226
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 09:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Great Trilogies
Posted By: Nicholas Linear
Subject: Great Trilogies
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 19:16

Best Trilogies, Gong, Residents, Philip Glass

Why is it that some of my favorite music is found in trilogies ?  Maybe trilogies are for musicians who have such good ideas that it can’t be formulated in one place.  I also find that even in fiction (Bernard Cornwell, e.g.) I like best the books that continue where the other left off.  In the spirit of applauding trilogies, let me list my top three, in no particular order:

1.                  Residents: Mole Trilogy –  For whatever reason, not everyone agrees on the merits of this trilogy.  To each his own I guess, but I find it unique. I hope that by this I can at least let some detractors see that there are people who love it ! Tunes of Two Cities is a truly engaging piece. It is not a challenging listen in any way. In fact, some of the tunes are so memorable, I find myself humming for example - “a serenade to missy” – years after my last listen (the bong bong of an elevator arriving always brings the tune to mind…). Is it political ? Yes, I think so – and the political point is made musically.

TOTC is the instrumental follow-up to 'Mark Of The Mole.' You must have MOTM before you can possibly understand TOTC, even though I find TOTC a better album. In the MOTM, we are introduced to two cultures. The first is that of the Mole People, who live and work in mines, but are forced to surface by some kind of “barometric apocalypse,” the song 'Hole Workers At The Mercies Of Nature' describes musically their being forced up from the depths. Moles move to a new area dominated by a modern technological culture. The techies are known as the Chubs, and first are concerned of the influx – “10,000 refugees indeed” they mumble in their ant-immigrant fear. But the Chubs don’t like to work, so they start thinking that perhaps the Moles, who are used to manual labor, may be a benefit. Unfortunately, the Moles are not very good at handling the machines and they sort of make a mess of it. This is followed by the Chubs successful efforts in automating the work that had been done by the Moles, effectively displacing the moles from the work they had been able to do. Left with no role, there is a “short war” followed by a “resolution” of an indeterminate nature.

This is the background to “Tunes of Two Cities.” Unlike MOTM, TOTC is entirely instrumental and alternates between the music of each culture as a way to say something about who each people are. I find the emotional imagery it creates remarkable and of a nature that is not even similar to what I have experienced with any other music - even other music of the residents themselves. The Chubs' music is jazzy and bright and catchy, but with enough anomalous sounds that the nice impression initially created soon gives way to the disturbing. These chubs have something a bit wrong with them I think. On the other hand, the music of the Moles has insectile, deep mechanical and outwardly frightening sounds that create an ominous impression that later gives way to something else. Though outwardly disturbing and even scary, further listens show them to be perhaps the ethnic group more favored by their creators. As the CD progresses, you can note the changes in the themes of the songs meant to follow the story line set out in MOTM,  mentioned above.

2.                  Gong: Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy  - this is of course a very well loved trilogy on this forum and enough of its attributes have been mentioned here at length.  I think its really a remarkable piece of work and far ahead of its time.  Everything that everyone says good about it I agree with – though I do not know if it really has the staying power of the true masterpieces (as in my uninformed opinion, the other two trilogies mentioned here qualify as)

3.   Philip Glass: Einstein on the Beach, Satyagraha, Akhneton, These are the three “portrait” operas.  For those not familiar with this trilogy, you will find the zenith of minimalism, (lengthy repetition of small elements, very gradual development and change, recurring patterns) and its not really progressive rock, but it has so many of the elements that a progressive music fan would want.  Musical virtuosity and meticulousness, non-commercial and cutting edge composition, instruments not found in traditional rock (OK, so its not rock…).  My favorite of these is Satyagraha, which I have listened to again and again for 20 years. Satyagraha is Sanskrit word meaning "truth-force", is the name of Mohandas K. Gandhi's philosophy of non-violent resistance which he used to galvanize a political movement in South Africa and which later greatly influenced the work of Martin Luther King, Jr.  The numerous soloists are singing Sanskrit but give the impression of being native English speakers as there is absolutely no accent as far as I can detect.  Einstein on the Beach ?  how can you define that other than to listen to it.  You can certainly tell that Satyagraha came afterwards, because it uses the same themes formulated in EOTB, but develops them further.

-------------
there are three kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't

Replies:
Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 19:35
Very interesting thread, and what you said was very well written, however, I think this topic would be better suited in the blog section, perhaps, unless there was a specific question you wanted to ask us about Trilogies (for example, "What are your favourite prog trilogies?")

Posted By: Nicholas Linear
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 19:40

So what is everyone's favorite prog trilogy ? 

Thats a good question !  Otherwise, someone may have to tell me how tto move it myself to another section

-------------
there are three kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 19:49
This is my favourite trilogy:

../album.asp?id=7399 - Cei Ce Ne-Au Dat Nume 1973 4.50
Excellent%20addition%20to%20any%20prog%20music%20collection
(15 ratings)

../album.asp?id=7400 - Mugur De Fluier 1974 4.08
(11 ratings)

../album.asp?id=7401 - Cantofabule (Cantafabule) 1975 4.45
(24 ratings)

Later with the details...

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 19:52
Very good.

In fact, only the powers that be (A.K.A. them 5 stars) can move threads and whatnot, so don't worry about doing it yourself. If the powers that be (A.K.A. The Progtologist) decide it should be moved, it will be. As for now, I will list my favourite trilogies.

Brian Eno's Ambient series (though he has produced many ambient albums, only 3 listed on this site begin with the titled "Ambient", and strangely enough they list 1, 2, and 4.)

Neil Young has a trilogy of sorts out, but as I understand they weren't originally intended to be a trilogy. I suppose you could consider GY!BE's 3 studio albums a trilogy, but it is not explicitly so.

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:07
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

This is my favourite trilogy:

../album.asp?id=7399 - Cei Ce Ne-Au Dat Nume 1973 4.50
(15 ratings)

../album.asp?id=7400 - Mugur De Fluier 1974 4.08
(11 ratings)

../album.asp?id=7401 - Cantofabule (Cantafabule) 1975 4.45
(24 ratings)

Later with the details...
You've plugged away on those albums so many times that they've made it into the depths of my "to-buy" listLOLClap...LOVE the samples on this site...symphonic AND folk...now that's what I'm talking about!

Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:13
my favorite trilogies (not very original but oh well)

VdGG: Godbluff, Still Life, World Record
Camel: Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmadness
King Crimson: ItCotCK, ItWoP, Lizard, Islands (first 3 or last 3)
Rush: 2112, AFtK, Hemishpheres

These are the ones off the top of my head that have more in common than just being three good albums in a row (ie I've tried to look for some kind of thematic relation or the like)

Posted By: mickstafa
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:24
The Tull folk trilogy: Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses, and Stormwatch.

Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by mickstafa mickstafa wrote:

doh! I can't believe I forgot that one...it would surely be number 1 with VdGG.

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:31
I like the aforementioned Camel's one: Mirage, Snow Goose & Moonmadness. Awesome bunch. Another great one is Crimson Larks, SaBB & Red.

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 21:37
In a few weeks probably Riverside.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 22:45
From what I know Phideaux' The Great Leap and Doomsday Afternoon are the first two parts of a trilogy, if so then that'll probably be a classic soon. I have high expectations for the third, he seems to get more progressive and interesting with every release.

Also I had no idea those Phoenix albums were a trilogy, I'll have to listen with that in mind. A current favorite would have to be the Gong albums though.

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 23:07
These immediately come to mind:

Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge
ELP: Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery
Genesis: Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot
Santana: I, Abraxas, III

(Sure, they're obvious, but why not Tongue)

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: August 27 2007 at 23:37
Deep Purple:
Shades of ...
Book of Talesyn
Deep Purple (the album)

Date Posted: August 28 2007 at 08:18
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

You've plugged away on those albums so many times that they've made it into the depths of my "to-buy" listLOLClap...LOVE the samples on this site...symphonic AND folk...now that's what I'm talking about!

Sorry mate Embarrassed  Seems like I got kinda redundant, eh? I'm gonna give it a rest now...
It's just that the local prog I'm promoting it's not really varied and the same stuff keeps occurring.
PM me if you're interested in the albums. Smile

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 28 2007 at 09:06
Of these I prefer the "Radio Gnome" trilogy slightly to the "Mole" trilogy, but I like both. I am not too big a fan of Philip Glass and must admit I don't know his trilogy.

Other interesting trilogies: The "Robot Woman" trilogy of Mother Gong and Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage" trilogy.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 28 2007 at 09:31
Rush: 'Fear' Trilogy....

Witch Hunt
The Weapon
The Enemy Within..

Clap

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:25

Banco:  1)  Banco

2)  Darwin
               3)  Io Sono Nato Libero

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:30
a plug for Battiato here...

Fetus, Pollution, and Sulle Corde di Aries

a nice trilogy of a sorts.. after that... it starts to  get a bit...  challenging and demanding of the listener.  For hard core fans.. and fans of the avant garde

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: November 16 2007 at 08:16
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer

Kinfd of a trilogy.

Date Posted: November 16 2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Close to the Edge
Relayer

Kinfd of a trilogy.

What you you pick between that and The Yes Album/Fragile/Close to the Edge? Myself I'd have a trough time deciding...

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: January 09 2008 at 06:08
David Bowie - Berlin/Eno Trilogy
1.Low
2.Heroes
3.Lodger

Peter Hammill
1.Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night
2.Silent Corner Empty Stage
3.In Camera

Kevin Ayers
1.The Joy of a Toy
2.Shooting at the Moon
3.Whatevershebringwesing

King Crimson
1.Larks Tongues in Aspic
2.Starless and Bible Black
3.Red

Peter Gabriel
1.PGI - Car
2.PGII - Scratch
3.PGIII - Melt

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: steve j
Date Posted: January 13 2008 at 13:53
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Rush: 'Fear' Trilogy....

Witch Hunt
The Weapon
The Enemy Within..

Clap

Right on the money Clap

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: January 13 2008 at 14:28
Magma - La Trilogie:
  1. Theusz Hamtaahk
  2. Wurdah Itah
  3. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

The Gong Radio Gnome and Residents Mole trilogies are also excellent, but compared to Magma all else pales into insignificance.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: January 17 2008 at 00:42
Camel - Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmaddness
Camel - Harbour Of Tears, Rajaz, A Nod And A Wink
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn
King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black, Red
Yes - Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer
Gong Trilogy...  

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: February 17 2008 at 21:57
Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, WOIIFTM
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album
David Bowie - Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends
Focus - Moving Waves, Focus 3, Hamburger Concerto
Harmonium's 3 studio albums

-------------

Posted By: DJPuffyLemon
Date Posted: February 18 2008 at 02:06
This is a very simple topic methinks because of one main reason:
Almost every progressive rock band (and almost every band in general) has one album where they get into their peak but still keep part of their older sound, then one album which is considered their masterpiece, and then another album right after in which they try to recreate their previous album but can't because its either impossible or they just don't have the inspiration.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 18 2008 at 02:17

and the trilogy that never really was; Brick, Passion Play, and Warchild

Date Posted: February 18 2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Magma - La Trilogie:
  1. Theusz Hamtaahk
  2. Wurdah Itah
  3. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

In addition to the Theusz Hamtaahk trilogie, Syzy, don't forget the Köhntarkösz trilogie which will me completed this year.

1. Köhntarkösz
  2. Köhntarkösz Anteria
  3. Ëmëhntëht-Rê

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 23:05
surprised this one hasn't been mentioned...

Phallus Dei, Yeti, Tanz der Lemminge.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 14:34
As usual the old egg is rotten and forgotten Wink: Egg, The polite force, The civil surface.

And how about Kyuss stoner rock / space rock trilogy:

Blues for the red sun, Welcome to sky valley, ...And the circus leaves town.

-------------

Posted By: zicIy
Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 04:03

Todd Rundgren :  "Todd"
                                " Utopia"
                                "Initiation"

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:32

Though not actually my faves from the band. By own meanings, I do consider it a 'TRILOGY'. Since they're three that have long epics. Somehow the same structure on three of them(not ths structure of the songs but the album).

In faves case:
Deep Purple: Burn
             Stormbringer
             Come Taste the Band
Whitesnake: Lovehunter
             Ready an' Willing
             Come an' Get It

Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

and the trilogy that never really was; Brick, Passion Play, and Warchild

How about the DUO of Aqualung and Minstrel?

Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Close to the Edge

Relayer

Kinfd of a trilogy.

HEY!! You took my idea!

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 05 2008 at 00:14
Blue Oyster Cult had the three first albums ,featuring the debut , Tyranny & Mutation and the splendid Secret Treaties .The first 3 Mostly Autumn albums are quite obviously interconnected and different from the subsequent releases. The 3 La Maschera di Cera recordings fall into a whole. According to Mariusz Duda, the first 3 Riverside albums are part of a trilogy. Santana's jazzy guru period comprises Caravanserai, Welcome and Borboletta. The 3 Satellite albums seem united by a common thread. The 3 SFF albums are united as Collected Works.

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 05 2008 at 00:20
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Blue Oyster Cult had the three first albums ,featuring the debut , Tyranny & Mutation and the splendid Secret Treaties

Hug

A fine trilogy indeed. I'm going to have to chime in with The Black Mages (but I'm not sure if they're going to keep going with IV, V VI.... after their new one). And in the non-prog world, Helloween had a great trilogy with the keeper of the seven keys albums.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: June 05 2008 at 00:24
Am I the only one who interpreted "trilogy" as a piece of work with a modicum of cohesion?  Looks like some people are just listing three separate albums.  Confused

Posted By: kenmartree
Date Posted: June 05 2008 at 00:53
^ they wanted to keep the thread going.LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk