Print Page | Close Window

Is there a Music genre chart

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: I Have A Question For You......?
Forum Description: Ask any question on any subject: if the admin team or any of our members can answer it we will.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41478
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 12:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is there a Music genre chart
Posted By: I am the eggman
Subject: Is there a Music genre chart
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 18:24
Is there a web or chart that shows how rock genres evolved and branched? that would be cool.

Replies:
Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 18:36
I don't know of a prog one, but here is a (flawed) metal one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

-------------

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 19:50
I have one... it may not be perfect but makes a good overview:

Don't remember where it's from, it was saved on my pc for ages.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 21:50
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Please Miracle, this chart is flawed everywhere.

1. Continental Prog? So there's British Prog and the rest all in one sack.
  2. Many USA bands are in Pomp Rock; A competely arrogant and pedant name invented to dismiss USA bands....Is Kansas in the same sack as ASIA?
  3. King Crimson Symphonic: Has this guy ever heard Larks Tongues in Aspic or Thrak?
  4. Prog Metal a direct evolution of Pomp Rock?: I don't find a single relation between Pain of Salvation and Asia, Prog Metal started IMO from a blend of Metal and Symphonic.
  5. UK Classic Prog? Their first album was Jazz oriented and the second one was a derivative semi Symphonic album, the Classic era was gone when UK appeared.
  6. Anglagard is from 1994 not from the 80's
  7. According to this chart Folk is derivative from Symphonic: I believed Folk and Orchestral or Classical split in the late medieval era, Folk is absolutely independent of Symphonic.
  8. Discipline derivative from Hard Prog: I always thought Dioscipline was in the borderline between Symphonic and Neo Prog.
  9. Glass Hammer Neo Prog?: For God's sake, they are one of the most representative new Symphonic bands.
  10. Renaissance Folk?: Yes, they have elements, but if I had to descriobe the word Symphonic it would be Renaissance.

I know you didn't wrote it Miracle, but IMHO the chart makes water everywhere.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: I am the eggman
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:00
who are those guys up there ^ ?

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:02
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Please Miracle, this chart is flawed everywhere.

1. Continental Prog? So there's British Prog and the rest all in one sack.
  2. Many USA bands are in Pomp Rock; A competely arrogant and pedant name invented to dismiss USA bands....Is Kansas in the same sack as ASIA?
  3. King Crimson Symphonic: Has this guy ever heard Larks Tongues in Aspic or Thrak?
  4. Prog Metal a direct evolution of Pomp Rock?: I don't find a single relation between Pain of Salvation and Asia, Prog Metal started IMO from a blend of Metal and Symphonic.
  5. UK Classic Prog? Their first album was Jazz oriented and the second one was a derivative semi Symphonic album, the Classic era was gone when UK appeared.
  6. Anglagard is from 1994 not from the 80's
  7. According to this chart Folk is derivative from Symphonic: I believed Folk and Orchestral or Classical split in the late medieval era, Folk is absolutely independent of Symphonic.
  8. Discipline derivative from Hard Prog: I always thought Dioscipline was in the borderline between Symphonic and Neo Prog.
  9. Glass Hammer Neo Prog?: For God's sake, they are one of the most representative new Symphonic bands.
  10. Renaissance Folk?: Yes, they have elements, but if I had to descriobe the word Symphonic it would be Renaissance.

I know you didn't wrote it Miracle, but IMHO the chart makes water everywhere.

Iván

I agree with all that, plus putting RIO as a direct descendant of Canterbury is simply silly in my opinion. 

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:04
Originally posted by I am the eggman I am the eggman wrote:

who are those guys up there ^ ?

The ones in Ivan's signature?

That's Genesis. Smile

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:56
Yeah and the jazz fusion section is seriously missing some bands like Mahavishnu, RTF, Weather Report, Brian Auger, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock etc.

Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Yeah and the jazz fusion section is seriously missing some bands like Mahavishnu, RTF, Weather Report, Brian Auger, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock etc.

Not to mention Jean Luc Ponty

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:01
'Pomp-prog' ?    That's rough

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:04
I saw someone make a decent chart on this site and showed it...he'll probably show up if he sees this one.

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:10
I'm planning on making an RIO "map," linking every band to each other via common members.  Henry Cow goes in the middle, of course.  

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2007 at 23:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

'Pomp-prog' ?    That's rough

The funnier thing is that the term Pomp Prog doessn't exist or make logic.

The term Pomp Rock was used by some arrogant Britishs to attack Prog made in USA, it's pedant but makes sense, Rock that is Pompous.

But Pomp Prog????

This would mean Prog that is pompous, so it would describe probably ELP, Wakeman, and the most illustrious Prog musicians but Asia for example is not pompous in comparison with Yes or Genesis just to mention two bands, by the contrary, Asia would be Light Prog.

The guy is lost at some points.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Space_Captain
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 00:08
So the chart says that not only did Jazz-Fusion come from progressive rock, it also came directly out of the canterbury scene; pretty ridiculous

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 20:30
Rush... Pomp Prog ....  love it LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk