Print Page | Close Window

Strange Days, Strange Songs

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41490
Printed Date: June 17 2024 at 04:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Strange Days, Strange Songs
Posted By: The Whistler
Subject: Strange Days, Strange Songs
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 02:55
Damn this album...I could makes polls about it all night (like, is it conceptual? Thematic? Another poll...).

Anyway, fairly straightforward here. I have a feeling that "When the Music's Over" will do well. It's pretty freaky man (er, I mean, "lengthy and musically and lyrically interesting"). And frankly, it's just a good song. But then again, so is "Love Me Two Times." And a buncha other crap. Hell, I don't even mind "Horse Latitudes."

As for me, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I ADORE the gothic popper "When You're Strange." Since the moment I heard it on the radio some years ago, when the sky was gray and pouring rain. Still just as good today, if not better, now that I can appreciate this stuff more maturely.

Anyway, you?

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Replies:
Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 02:59
You're Lost..........little girl.........

oh and When The Music's Over, it's just too monumental.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:01

I considered putting in a "too good to choose one" option, but then I figured why bother. I want CONCRETE answers.

...Even if it's true.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:04
When the music's over...One of the 3(or 4) Doors top songs along with The end & Celebration of the lizard (& Light my fire)!!!Just buy Live in NY and Live in Hollywood and put it in the cd-player...

Posted By: ArtRockFreak
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:12
When the music's over i suppose,cause its sthg like the ultimate psychedelia to me...Especially,the live version,from live in Europe,is really worth..

-------------
Welcome back my friends...

...to the show that never ends!

Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 03:21
All the album is a masterpiece...I just put it in the player and listened the first melodies and Jimbo's voice from the title track...It's a pleasure to listen to him again since such a long time...so many memories travel inside my mind...

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 04:23
When the Music's Over will probably win anyway, so I voted for Love Me Two Times, which is just as amazing. I love the whole album, though.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 04:30
"When the Music's Over" for me - probably my fav Doors track together with "The End" and "Riders on the Storm". However, this poll is in the wrong section - it belongs in the PP/PR LoungeTongue.

Posted By: Bastille Dude
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 04:48
Love me two times, But damn the whole thing is good.

-------------
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 04:56
People are strange, when you're a stranger. Quite true. A lyrical masterpiece, but aren't they all. I voted for when You're Strange because it is the best in my opinion.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 06:03
Well When the Music's Over will probobly win big time, i love all thos small tunes but the 10min+ epic is hard to beat, anywayz voted I Can't See Your Face in My Mind simply a great creepy litle song.

-------------

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 07:54
Almost everything is great, but today will be the title track STRANGE DAYSHeart

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 08:24
i am quick to acknowledge their relevance to modern music
but IMHO the DOORS really have very little business on this site...

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 09:16
When the Music's Over is one of my fav's.

Posted By: jimidom
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:16
"Moonlight Drive" gets my vote. I love the lyrics.  

-------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:29
1 - Strange Days - Perfect album opener
2 - When the Music's Over - Perfect album closer

Everything in between is superb, love this album.  My favorite along with Waiting for the Sun.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: cuoredifalena
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:51
i can`t choose one in particular..the all album is amaizing.. also because it reminds me of great times  and although "When the music is over" is going to win, i must say that  
You're Lost Little Girl and I Can't See Your Face in My Mind are special,very special gems...in my opinion

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 12:38
Could someone please turn out the light, turn out the light, turn out the light.  Oh wait a second, the music isn't really over is it?
Dagnabit, you forced me to order a copy.  Oh well, I was pondering what I would order for my next "freebie" from the BMG music club.  Now I think I can resign it a happy guy.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 13:19

A correction for Whistler...It's not "When you're strange" but "People are strange".

Posted By: Thandrus
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 15:00
Strange Days.

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 18:36
When the Music's Over

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:02
For me When the Music's Over defines 60's psychedlica. The 2 overdubbed dueling lead guitars is absolutely mind boggling. Also the dynamics of the heavy big sound versus the butterfly section is like an epic trip. 

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Date Posted: September 10 2007 at 02:54
Originally posted by Okocha Okocha wrote:

A correction for Whistler...It's not "When you're strange" but "People are strange".

Heh, I knows...when I first downloaded said track, I could only find it under the moniker "People are Strange." Must have been a Floydian slip.

-------------

Posted By: Samir
Date Posted: September 10 2007 at 12:32
When the musicīs over

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: September 10 2007 at 12:43
Great album with a very strong opener. I choose  When The Musicīs Over though. One of their most daring and best tunes.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 30 2007 at 12:21
   when the music's over

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk