Print Page | Close Window

Citizen Cain

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41626
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 23:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Citizen Cain
Posted By: Frippertron
Subject: Citizen Cain
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 13:46
Whatever happened to this band.  I can find nothing on the internet to indicate what they are doing at the moment, and getting their CDs now are a virtual impossibility.

-------------
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock

Replies:
Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 16:28
I don´t know about the band... the movie is pretty good though!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 17:26
A very good band el bothy.

If you like Genesis of 71-73 era you will love them

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 11 2007 at 17:44
Try eBay -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITIZEN-CAIN-GHOST-DANCE-CD-PROG-ROCK_W0QQitemZ270163789083QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Ghost Dance
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITIZEN-CAIN-somewhere-but-yesterday-CD-prog-Cyclops_W0QQitemZ330163392641QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Somewhere but Yesterday

Posted By: Andy Gilmour
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:22
Evening. I've been meaning to join for ages, and, er...now I have!

Many thanks for the nice things people have said about "Somewhere But Yesterday"...can't quite believe it was 14 years ago?!  Or, indeed, that it would ever be viewed so favourably!

SO - what happened to Citizen Cain...?

I mainly ended-up in a Scottish Ceilidh-Jazz-Prog-Folk-Covers-Anything! band, called WildGeese, which finally dissolved in 2003, when I became a full-time dad. Nick Arkless played the drums in it, too, for a while...1997-2000-ish..?? I'm slowly trying to get back into music, inevitably through the MySpace route:

www.myspace.com/andygilmour

and I write generally-music-related screeds of (allegedly humorous) nonsense at:

www.andyhgilmour.blogspot.com

Alistair the (excellent) guitarist is currently in a (very successful) club covers band (amongst other projects) in Australia, and seems to be doing extremely well for himself.

As for George - sorry, but after all the cripplingly-long rehearsal sessions in Nick's basement I can't refer to him as 'Cyrus' :-) - and Stewart, well, I bumped into George on a bus in Edinburgh about 5 years ago, and he,too, was talking of heading to Oz, but apart from that...er..no idea.

Someone identifying themselves as Stewart sort-of made email contact over a year ago, but didn't respond to my reply...

Mind you, given the way the rest of us have gone, if you find yourself on a cruise ship, listening to a keyboards-and-vocals/flute duo who sound a bit like Peter Gabriel singing with Tony Banks/Mark Kelly, well....who knows?

All the best from Dunfermline, Scotland

Cheers,

Andy Gilmour (ex-Citizen Cain)

-------------
"The wise man...proportions his belief according to the evidence" (David Hume)

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 25 2008 at 19:31
nice to have you Andy!

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 16:00
Crikey!  Didnt expect that.. Brilliant thanks.

Now whatever happened to The Beatles Wink

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 16:14
LOL

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 04 2008 at 22:27
"Mind you, given the way the rest of us have gone, if you find yourself on a cruise ship, listening to a keyboards-and-vocals/flute duo who sound a bit like Peter Gabriel singing with Tony Banks/Mark Kelly, well....who knows?" Quote   

LOL  ITS THE BEATLES!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: jalist
Date Posted: June 05 2008 at 04:29
Nice to see you keeping well Andy - Junk and Donuts and To Dance The Enamel Faced Queen are still two of my favourite songs ever :)

Date Posted: June 09 2008 at 18:24
Jalist, how very nice of you to say so!

J&D was the only song on the album mostly written by Ally. He played the intro on my old (& battered) B&M cheapo classical guitar - which he had to tune slightly 'wrong' so that the intonation was just-about-passable higher-up the fretboard. :-)

It was a nice excuse for some fretless diddling-about, too!

As for the beatles...hmmm...more The Rutles, I'd say...

Cheers,

Andy Gilmour

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: June 10 2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by Frippertron Frippertron wrote:

A very good band el bothy.

If you like Genesis of 71-73 era you will love them

But for that I already have GenesisWink

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: June 12 2008 at 08:01
Ah. My personal bug-bear about ALL the reviews comes back again.... "Genesis"! :-)

Sure, George's voice is a dead ringer for early Gabriel. And his lyrics probably make even less sense, in all honesty (and there were far too many of them in almost all the songs - not enough guitar solos!) :-)

And Stewart could have been less "Marillion-friendly" in his choice of sh-101 patches, absolutely.

But get beyond those (admittedly major) factors, and a lot of the actual music doesn't sound so much like Genesis to me...

Oddly enough, I'd never even heard Gabriel-era Genesis until I joined Citizen Cain, and had to learn Firth of Fifth (intended for live gigs that never quite happened). Personally, I don't rate Mike Rutherford as either a bass player or guitarist - my style at the time was influenced by Chris Squire, John Glascock (the mighty TULL!!), Danny Thompson, Alan Thompson (John Martyn), players like that. And I tried to slip my own ideas in wherever possible [hey, I'm not entirely without ego - I mean, who can honestly say they've achieved that?  (my ultimate personal guitar god) Robert Fripp's "I'm going to sit over here in the dark" stance, gets very close,possibly, although even he's been caught on video giving it big-time "lead guitarist" facial contortions... :-) ].

Maybe it's because I was so immersed in it, but to my ears there's certainly a fair bit of Jethro Tull (and maybe others) buried away in SBY. But then I'm biased, so I wouldn't trust my opinion, even if I were me. Which I am. Probably. Although proving it beyond all reasonable doubt in a court of law could be tricky. So..er..yes.

Cheers from North o' the Forth

-------------

Posted By: CreepyJohn
Date Posted: September 13 2008 at 07:58
Citizen Cain are currently recording there new album "And The Skies Darkened", to be released by Festival Music in 2009. The C-Cain back catalogue will also be re-released by them later this year.

They no longer have the "citizen-cain" domain name but the website is still accessible through:

http://www.myspace.com/citizencaincitizencain .

The website hasnt been updated for a long while and shouldnt be used for orders (please visit www.f2music.co.uk for info on release dates, orders etc) Latest news will be posted on the myspace page and you can contact the band via that page also. Thanks for listening guys.

All The Best,
Creepy John

Date Posted: October 27 2008 at 13:35

Brilliant!!

You ask for a lil bit of help on ProgArchives and get a lot more than you bargained for in return.

Fully appreciated!

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 07:56
Afternoon.

I emailed the record company about the back catalogue a couple of weeks ago, but haven't received a reply...

So I've dropped the guys in the band a message, but I'm not sure quite what's going-on there.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering (yeah, right!) what sort of nonsense I'm doing now, something of an acoustic, dogme-style mini-production can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiraVK9lxs

:-)

Cheers,

Andy Gilmour

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 08:14
Originally posted by Frippertron Frippertron wrote:

Whatever happened to this band.  I can find nothing on the internet to indicate what they are doing at the moment, and getting their CDs now are a virtual impossibility.

That's right! All of they're cd are out of stock. No news from their web site since 2002??? They were supposed to put out a new one, no news. You can still listen to them here : http://www.myspace.com/citizencaincitizencain

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 17:48
So difficult for us to get the important three pieces - Serpents In Camouflage, Somewhere But Yesterday, and Raising The Stones.
And more difficult to get Playing Dead...at least for me. :-)

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Bufo
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 01:00
Good heavens, and here I thought that was just the name of a Julian Cope album.

Looks like I have some research to do.

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 01:41
To get some of their albums for us is more difficult than to float up in the forum for the thread. LOL

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 08 2009 at 16:12
DamoXt7942 -

Good evening, and thanks for saying nice things about ye olde Citizen Cain! :-)

Latest news from the Festival Music website (www.f2music.co.uk/) is that the back catalogue is supposed to be re-released by them next month, and a brand new album appearing in January.

Although given that the old stuff was originally scheduled to be out a few months back, I wouldn't be holding my breath... :-)

But who knows?

Cheers,

Andy

www.youtube.com/andyhgilmour

-------------

Posted By: Progbeatz
Date Posted: September 08 2009 at 17:30
another excellent band

great to hear about the rereleases...havent been able to find that stuff anywhere legit...

-------------
Prog in the projeKcts...

Posted By: rpe9p
Date Posted: September 09 2009 at 00:34
Awesome!  I just discovered citizen cain about a week ago and really liked some of the samples I listened to.  I wanted to get some of their albums, but couldnt find them for sale anywhere, even ebay.  Hopefully Festival Music will follow through with re-releasing them this time, and a new album is great news too!

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: September 15 2009 at 11:15
Ahh, yes, always loved this band.  Good to see Andy here!  However, I must unfortunately mention that my favorite of all their albums is Raising The Stones (even if I do wish there was a real drummer on it.......though I guess Stewart played some real drums along with the drum programming).  However, Somewhere But Yesterday is my second favorite Big smile  It is, admittedly, the one that sounds the most like Gabriel Genesis, but I don't think any of the other albums are very similar at all (though it's hard to avoid the vocal resemblance).  And even Somewhere But Yesterday is not really all that much like PG Genesis.  It is far darker, far more wordy, and much more precise and driving than Genesis was.

Anyway, great news about the new album (even if the last one was a bit of a dissapointment compared to Raising The Stones for me) and the other albums being available.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: September 25 2009 at 12:50
Hi. I am from Iran. I discover C.C 25 days before . I have one album named " Somewhere But Yesterday ". I am PETER GABRIEL fan and i love GENESIS from 1970-1974 in GABRIEL era. when i listen first time to C.C i shocked. I think it's a dream. how? If genesis had a album and i miss that? otherwise this album is pretty good. But i miss festival. In IRAN you have'nt any options. I can't travel for this festival. I cant find another album from this band. I wish the persons who can go to this festival have much fun and enjoy this pure music. good luck.

Date Posted: September 27 2009 at 17:40
Hi, O666, personally find it very rewarding to think Citizen Cain's music has made it as far as Iran...
it's a small group of fans, really, but in very diverse locations! :-)

Sorry for any confusion - the "Festival Music" I mentioned is a record label - www.f2music.co.uk/

They're now supposed to be re-releasing the whole Citizen Cain back catalogue in November (put back *yet another* month), and a brand new album from the current line-up (which was George, Stewart & Phil the guitarist, last time I heard??) in March next year.

Big raspberries to Infandous for preferring RTS... :-))

Cheers to all from Dunfermline, Scotland (birthplace of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull)

-------------

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: September 28 2009 at 10:45
AWESOME NEWS FROM A BAND THAT HAS BEEN SO IMPORTANT FOR THE PRESERVATRION OF PROG ROCK SINCE THE EARLY 90'S...

I HOPE SOMEDAY THIS BAND WILL ACHIEVE ALL THE DESERVED RECOGNITION, NOT JUST A PORTION OF IT.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 07:19
Definitely Cesar.Listening to Somewhere But Yesterday now for the first time in quite awhile and what a superb album it is.Clap

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: September 29 2009 at 07:28
What an amazing thread!

Welcome to the forum Andy......love Citizen Cain, I'll play them next!Wink

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 08 2009 at 16:32
Hi guys,

Thanks again for the kind words.

Still waiting for the Cain re-releases, but then we've got a chunk of November left to go...so while we're waiting...

Hope no-one minds, but I thought I'd update the personal self-promotion details, and chuck in a wee video too...

Anyway, I've got some music for listening and/or downloading at:

http://www.andygilmour.com/ - http://www.andygilmour.com

includes *free* high-quality download for bouzouki folk-prog "entangled", as per the video...

FaceBook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andy-Gilmour/11044336428 - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andy-Gilmour/11044336428

'Mid-Life Bassist' blog:

http://www.andyhgilmour.blogspot.com/ - http://www.andyhgilmour.blogspot.com

Hope that someone likes some of this stuff...

All the best,
Andy

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 10:11
I thought this was about the movie... but is nice to see there are fans of this band... don't have a clue when they were famous but I'm interest enough to search for them... cheers...!!

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: rpe9p
Date Posted: November 10 2009 at 23:50
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

I thought this was about the movie... but is nice to see there are fans of this band... don't have a clue when they were famous but I'm interest enough to search for them... cheers...!!

The movie is spelled "Kane," plus it's in music discussion.  You should check out their album Somewhere but Yesterday, it's really good.

Andy, I've never even heard of that instrument before but it sounds great.

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: November 11 2009 at 00:01
Yay! Another musician is on the site! And may I say, a rather brilliant musician to boot! I had no idea this band existed, but damn, I sure as hell want to look into them now! 

Date Posted: November 17 2009 at 16:48
thanks guys for the ego-boosting flattery :-)

every little helps these days...

Did a little experiment today - "Firth of Fifth" was the only cover we planned to play (oh yeah, there were *meant* to be live gigs happening, but as usual...), and I was sitting wondering how hard it could be to play the intro on fretless bass (or, indeed, bouzouki)?

ouch.

:-)

-------------

Posted By: kirklott
Date Posted: December 21 2009 at 18:04
I think it's essential that Cain return to a 5-person line up. The two best albums are by far Serpents and Somewhere - the only ones that have a classic 5-person prog line up.

With Cain, as with Genesis, there is a very clear correlation between having a full band - with a dedicated rhythm section - and making great music.

-------------
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: December 27 2009 at 20:29
I LOVE this band!
I only hope that F2 re-releases the catalog; I am getting nervous as it is now almost Jan 2010.

I remember waiting for my  favorite band,("Clepsydra") ,  who was supposed to release a new album & re-release their older ones. It kept getting bumped (like what is happening now) & then I received the devastating news that it was all off. I only hope it doesn't happen to this fine band!

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: December 28 2009 at 11:47
GOOD NEWS!
Just found  out that they will be released in Feb/March!Big smile

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: December 28 2009 at 14:41

Let me just wish a happy New Year to Andy Gilmour in the Kingdom Of Fife from a citizen of Renfrewshire, the Kingdom of ...ehh........ nevermind.

I think a Citizen Cain fan here should do an online Q & A session with Andy Gilmour for the Interviews page. Just my two pence worth of braincells....... 

Posted By: CreepyJohn
Date Posted: January 11 2010 at 11:02
Hi everybody, here's the latest news from citizen cain.

The new album is well underway, however, in the last few weeks we have had a major setback. Our friend, who is very kindly recording this album for us, has recieved some very bad news concerning his health. Unfortunately this means recording will be delayed for several months and/or quite possibly we will have to make plans to record the remaining material elsewhere. We will keep you posted at www.myspace.com/citizencaincitizencain , please feel free to contact us or join the friends list there.

Festival Music plans to re-release the back catalogue 2 or 3 months prior to the new release hence the delay with those too. Mp3 versions of the back catalogue can be arranged for those who cant wait, please contact us through the myspace page. Thank you once again for your continuing support.....

All The Best,
Creepy John

Posted By: mike hewetson
Date Posted: January 12 2010 at 07:40
hi, yeah i really like citizen cane too--much underated me thinx!!  they do have a myspace site so you can get a bit more info there. but otherwise i have trouble getting their music too!  try malcolm parker of cyclops records--they used to distribute their cd"s.  (g.f.t  mail order)

-------------
mike hewetson

Date Posted: November 05 2010 at 18:04
Evening.

It's been a while, but finally it looks like the Citizen Cain guys are starting to get their act together on http://www.facebook.com/citizen.cain.progressive.rock - Facebook. And new album rumblings are sounding more positive, so maybe worth wandering over in that direction and signing-up to their page...

http://www.facebook.com/citizen.cain.progressive.rock - in case the link failed to work.

And while you're in Facebook-land, my own little page is http://www.facebook.com/andygilmourmusic - here (oh dear, the shameless self-plugging is starting all over again...) :-)

(http://www.facebook.com/andygilmourmusic)

Oh, just in case anyone was desperate for fretless bass & bouzouki noises, I finally released an album (woohoo!) of my instrumental meanderings (folk-prog-ECM jazz-sort of thing) at http://www.andygilmour.com - AndyGilmour.com   :-)

(http://www.andygilmour.com)

think that covers everything for now...? :-)

Cheers,

Andy

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk