Print Page | Close Window

Radiohead's New album details

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42187
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 06:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Radiohead's New album details
Posted By: Figglesnout
Subject: Radiohead's New album details
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 07:47
Lookie-lookie:

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/index.php?c=292 - Click this

Yes that's right, follow the link as well to pre-order it. I think (but I'm not sure) that they still do not have a record company, but are releasing this for free maybe (?) I'm not very sure, and it's rather confusing. Either way though; it is being released in 10 days.

Enjoy!

EDIT: It seems that you actually, with the "DOWNLOAD" of the album, get to choose however much you want to pay for it; but if you order the "DISCBOX" version of the album, it costs some more, but you get some bonus tracks/material...

This is a bit odd, and I still do not think they have a record company. It's kind of neat.

NOTE: In order to access all of the album purchase information, follow the link that says "In Rainbows" from the link above.

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 08:23
Holy crap!  If I did it right it's $82 for the disc and download.  If so it better be one hell of an album or this is worse fan abuse than even Steven Wilson has done.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 08:50
wow, we must have posted threads at nearly the same time.  Or maybe I didn't see this one. 

anyhow...

Slartibartfast, how is this fan abuse?  You can download the album entirely for free if you want to.  You can pay for the download voluntarily, as much as you like, or you can spend the extra cash for the disc box.

sounds like a hell of an idea to me.  Download for cheap, and if it's as good as some of their other work, I'll get the whole shebang.

This looks like a brave new model for the music industry!

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 09:30
^ the disc box includes two vinyl discs, high-quality artwork and two CDs ... and the digital download of course. I think that 40 Pounds is ok for all that - and considering that the better part of that money goes directly to the band, I fully support the idea. Of course many fans will most likely not own a record player though - so it probably would have been a good idea to also offer a less expensive pack which contains the CDs and the download.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: mrpink
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 10:05
This changes the rules of the music business: No more intermediares.

You choose the price you want to pay for the download, and if you want the CD (plus vinyl), you purchase the whole stuff direclty to the band.

This may be the future of the music. This may drop the CD prices, and give the artist more power in deciding how they want to produce their music.

This is great guys!

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 12:46
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

wow, we must have posted threads at nearly the same time.  Or maybe I didn't see this one. 

anyhow...

Slartibartfast, how is this fan abuse?  You can download the album entirely for free if you want to.  You can pay for the download voluntarily, as much as you like, or you can spend the extra cash for the disc box.

sounds like a hell of an idea to me.  Download for cheap, and if it's as good as some of their other work, I'll get the whole shebang.

I'll certainly take advantage of the free download, but that price for a hard copy is rather steep. 

To elaborate on the Steven Wilson fan abuse, I advanced ordered a special version of Deadwing that was supposed to have a DVD.  The CD turned up in stores before my special version arrived, so of course I had to go for immediate gratification and buy a copy from the local store.  When the special version arrived it turned out to be an audio DVD.  Then a few months later another DVD audio version was released that had three bonus track, which I had to get.  Arrrgh! LOL

So now there's a bonus CD available for Fear of a Blank Planet, which I also had to order and I suppose sooner or later the bonus and main CD will be available as a single package.  Better not put any additonal tracks on that.  Arrrgh arrgh!

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ the disc box includes two vinyl discs, high-quality artwork and two CDs ... and the digital download of course. I think that 40 Pounds is ok for all that - and considering that the better part of that money goes directly to the band, I fully support the idea. Of course many fans will most likely not own a record player though - so it probably would have been a good idea to also offer a less expensive pack which contains the CDs and the download.

I didn't see the bit that it was a package with vinyls.  I do hope they put out a CD only package with the bonus material. 

By the way, all for bypassing the record companies!

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

anyhow...

I'll certainly take advantage of the free download, but that price for a hard copy is rather steep. 

To elaborate on the Steven Wilson fan abuse, I advanced ordered a special version of Deadwing that was supposed to have a DVD.  The CD turned up in stores before my special version arrived, so of course I had to go for immediate gratification and buy a copy from the local store.  When the special version arrived it turned out to be an audio DVD.  Then a few months later another DVD audio version was released that had three bonus track, which I had to get.  Arrrgh! LOL

So now there's a bonus CD available for Fear of a Blank Planet, which I also had to order and I suppose sooner or later the bonus and main CD will be available as a single package.  Better not put any additonal tracks on that.  Arrrgh arrgh!

Yeah, that sucks what PT does sometimes.  After being disappointed with FOABP, a very accessible mainstream release (by that I mean it is easily available at the nearest Best Buy), I've now heard some samples from the new EP, which sound much better than FOABP, but the damn EP is impossible to find!

I agree that the discbox is a bit overpriced, but it does come with a lot of stuff.  Think about if you bought them all separately:
Single CD with bonus disc (or double CD) - probably $25-30
double LP, heavy vinyl - probably $35-40
CDs with hardcover booklets and extensive artwork are usually a few bucks more than others...

so all in all it's not terrible, but still overpriced.

-------------
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:26
Still trying to figure out what I should chip in for the download.  Is $10 about right?

-------------

Posted By: N Ellingworth
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:28

Yeah, that sucks what PT does sometimes.  After being disappointed with FOABP, a very accessible mainstream release (by that I mean it is easily available at the nearest Best Buy), I've now heard some samples from the new EP, which sound much better than FOABP, but the damn EP is impossible to find!

Burning Shed is your best bet, you should still be able to order the second pressing of Nil Recurring or just go for the download option.

Posted By: magnus
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 13:33

Still trying to figure out what I should chip in for the download.  Is $10 about right?

The album will be available as an ordinary CD in 2008, so if you're planning on buying the actual album, I'd recommend getting the download for free and buying the album later. Keep in mind that you don't even know what format the digital download will be in.

-------------
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 14:18
I'm so friggin' happy for theis! Big%20smile

I'll see about paying for the download (I've got to give the band something for this release anyway) and if I really, really, really like it, I'll get the diskbox.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 15:08
Nice

I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:09
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Nice I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

personally, i'm not exactly sure the band has been LOOKING for one....

could be wrong though.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

Nice I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

could be wrong though.

Yes, much like Trent Reznor, Radiohead have been actively working against major record labels and looking for different ways to distribute music without the opressive hand of a corporation taking a chunk of it.  They're lucky that they're popular enough to pull this off, but I think it could still serve as a great model

-------------
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 16:35

could be wrong though.

Yes, much like Trent Reznor, Radiohead have been actively working against major record labels and looking for different ways to distribute music without the opressive hand of a corporation taking a chunk of it.  They're lucky that they're popular enough to pull this off, but I think it could still serve as a great model

Ahh, that's another story. Great for them, it's a cool move indeed. The box sales will probably be profitable enough anyway(I just ordered mineEmbarrassed).

Btw Pax Cecilia are already following the model... if only Radiohead followed PC's model with the box...LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:08

Nice

I'll probably get the box since I'm a collecting freak. But anyway, how hard is it for such a popular band to get a record deal?Confused

I think it would be very hard for *any* band to get a record deal which allows them to give away their album for free (afaik you can download it without paying anything). Record label folks are kind of traditional people when it comes to business rules ... Wink

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

Burning Shed is your best bet, you should still be able to order the second pressing of Nil Recurring or just go for the download option.

Of course I ordered the hard copy before they offered it as a download. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:49

could be wrong though.

Ahh, that's another story. Great for them, it's a cool move indeed. The box sales will probably be profitable enough anyway(I just ordered mineEmbarrassed).

Btw Pax Cecilia are already following the model... if only Radiohead followed PC's model with the box...LOL

I'm going the download route and hoping they'll release hard copies eventually with the bonus materials minus the vinyls.  I'm just never going to play vinyl if there's a CD alternative.

Here's a question.  Why are they making us wait 10 days if it's already complete?Angry
Excuse me while I start foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:52
I'll support them as well... more power to them.  Screw the record companies.. they've had it coming for years. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'll support them as well... more power to them.  Screw the record companies.. they've had in coming for years. 

Man, is that an understatement.

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:55
Um. I already made a thread on this.
I'd be upset but HOLY f**kING sh*t NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM I'M TOO EXCITED!

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:57

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'll support them as well... more power to them.  Screw the record companies.. they've had it coming for years. 

Man, is that an understatement.

that it is..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Meddler
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:58
I WOULD buy the discbox if the site didn't keep rejecting cards.

-------------
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Yes, I think I wet myself. LOL

That Mike Myers bit on Saturday Night Live comes to mind "I'm as happy as a little girl."
"Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance."

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:02

anyhow...

Not that I minded at the time, but when Gentle Giant released their first DVD (Giant on the Box), it was listed as $45CAD (plus taxes). No mention of it being a special, limited or deluxe edtion. It was composed of the DvD & a "bonus" live cd. Two months after I buy it, they come out with the DVD only version ... for $25. I have yet to play the CD right thru, as the first track was not of impeccable sound quality, so why bother listening to below par recordings, no matter how highly I esteem GG.
Oh, for all the whining about the discbox, those who just want  the album itself are able to do so at a price of their choosing. But the price of the discbox seems more than reasonable for the contents, if you're a fan anyways.

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:03
Btw, the format'll probably be 32whatever is normal and in mp3. Without DRM, which was confirmed by pitchfork and other guys.

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:05
Great news! I can't wait for it to come out!

It's a risky thing what they're doing, but I'm pretty sure they have the confidence (and the money Wink) to do it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:07

Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Yes, I think I wet myself. LOL

That Mike Myers bit on Saturday Night Live comes to mind "I'm as happy as a little girl."
"Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance."

So I have my number (and location(yes i know that's a thom yorke solo album reference but I don't care)) and I'm so excited for the 10th. I'll still end up buying the set, it's a matter of when I get the money.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:26
My dad called me crazy when he saw how much it was gonna be.

But it's RADIOHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 19:36
I have just ordered the download at a minimum price - I expect the album to be of the usual Radiohead high quality but would like to hear it first before I commit to the big dollars for the box set. Like everyone on this thread - I am very excited and looking forward to hearing the new album Big%20smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Fuzzy OneThree
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 20:36
I just saw this on kotaku, and it took me a moment or two to realize what was happening.  I have already pre-ordered my download, but I haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet.  This is excellent news, now we just have to see if it is another masterpiece.

EDIT: Here's the song list

In Rainbows (vinyl, CD and digital download):
1. "15 Step"
2. "Bodysnatchers"
3. "Nude"
4. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi"
5. "All I Need"
6. "Faust Arp"
7. "Reckoner"
8. "House of Cards"
9. "Jigsaw Falling into Place"
10. "Videotape"

Bonus disc:
1. "MK 1"
2. "Down Is the New Up"
3. "Go Slowly"
4. "MK 2"
5. "Last Flowers"
6. "Up on the Ladder"
7. "Bangers and Mash"
8. "4 Minute Warning"

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 20:38
Originally posted by Meddler Meddler wrote:

My dad called me crazy when he saw how much it was gonna be.

But it's RADIOHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

So true!

-------------

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 21:39
Woo, free music! I might buy the CD later, but for now I am a poor college student and I would like to hear this at least a couple times (even though I'm not much of a fan of most of Kid A onwards, although I bought all of them). I almost feel bad about taking advantage of their generosity. ;-)

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 22:13
This is sweet. Does anybody know how long the discbox will be available? Is it going to be some limited edition thing, or will I (we) be able to order it say...after the download comes out?

Date Posted: October 01 2007 at 22:17
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

This is sweet. Does anybody know how long the discbox will be available? Is it going to be some limited edition thing, or will I (we) be able to order it say...after the download comes out?

Shipping starts in December so I hope they'll keep it around until I convince my parents to get it for me Wink

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 18:25
Big%20smile

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 19:46
I hope for the best. And by "the best" I mean I hope this royally #$%@s the record companies and shows other bands how to release a new album.

Thom Yorke to the Record Execs: "Sorry guys, but your work has no commercial value to the band."

SmileSmileSmile

-------------

Posted By: NotSoKoolAid
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 20:25
They value my custom, Embarrassed

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:27
This seems nice and everything...but they have the money to do it. There is not many bands that have the choice in doing this.

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 03:30
Maybe not, but there are plenty of bands that do do it.

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 04:55
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

This seems nice and everything...but they have the money to do it. There is not many bands that have the choice in doing this.

You don't need so many money.
You just have to arrange a good web site and a warehouse to dispatch the CDs.

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 04:56
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Thom Yorke to the Record Execs: "Sorry guys, but your work has no commercial value to the band."

He really said that?

Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 05:49
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

anyhow...

Not that I minded at the time, but when Gentle Giant released their first DVD (Giant on the Box), it was listed as $45CAD (plus taxes). No mention of it being a special, limited or deluxe edtion. It was composed of the DvD & a "bonus" live cd. Two months after I buy it, they come out with the DVD only version ... for $25. I have yet to play the CD right thru, as the first track was not of impeccable sound quality, so why bother listening to below par recordings, no matter how highly I esteem GG.
Oh, for all the whining about the discbox, those who just want  the album itself are able to do so at a price of their choosing. But the price of the discbox seems more than reasonable for the contents, if you're a fan anyways.

That's kind of funny, I bought the regular version first, then I ordered the deluxe edition thinking it was something different.  Hard to get mad because hey, it's Gentle Giant live on DVD!  Plus if I had looked at it closer before ordering I might have known better.

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:48
Originally posted by mrpink mrpink wrote:

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

You don't need so many money.
You just have to arrange a good web site and a warehouse to dispatch the CDs.

If a band has the funds to record an album, the question is what to do with the music once complete. It cost money to manufacture CDs & the accompanying artwork/cover. If they go through a label, they will get a very small cut of the revenue after marketing & distribution costs are taken care of & the label/distributor takes their cut. With an internet download, you put it up on your website. The cover art, you can arrange to leave the pictures/lyrics whatever open to being copied direct from your site. The one concern to take proper care of is to have enough bandwidth to handle the traffic. But when you're in a small-time (not meant as a  judgement of the music) band, that should be simple enough. The payment arrangements & security are the same as any web retailer. But look at the Morningside. Take a gander at the positive results their album has seen in the PA reviews. If they & their label can arrange a payment system, I'm sure they would pull in more money that they can through CD sales. Of course, some Russian internet sites do have a slightly, um ... , fishy aura around them, security & legality wise (allofmp3 anyone)

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 21:21
The whole bandwith thing worries a little.  I want to get it ASAP, but in case things go haywire, maybe it's just better to wait a day or two...

-------------

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: October 04 2007 at 22:28
IN RAINBOWS......

I've already listened half of the album thanks to a poor quality bootleg from a performance in Copenague, 2006. I only hope those tracks were re-issued in studio, since most of them are great songs. Damn, I cannot wait to get that album!

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Posted By: Fuzzy OneThree
Date Posted: October 05 2007 at 00:37
I have listened to some live versions of most of the songs off the Rolling Stones website (just type in "radiohead in rainbows preview").  It seems a lot more beat oriented and there is one song that is more abusive than Myxamitosis.  I am eagerly awaiting next Wednesday.

Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 18:40
The word is 10 AM London Time. Sadly, that's 4 in the morning here in NY, but it's safe to say I'll have it before school.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:55
WTF is this?????

THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK TIME). THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD:

THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM FREE MP3s.

MOST COMPUTERS NOW HAVE ZIP SOFTWARE AS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM; IF YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT, YOU NEED TO GET WINZIP OR ZIPIT INSTALLED PRIOR.

160 kbps?Angry

I figured they would offer at least 320 kbps or a FLAC download, not 160 kbps.  It's going to sound like crap in a can! 

-------------
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:57
No it's not going to because Godrich puts the God in production.

-------------

Date Posted: October 09 2007 at 23:54
good production doesn't matter... there's still data missing... that I paid for.

-------------
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: eddietrooper
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 06:57
I just downloaded In Rainbows. I paid 2 £ (let´s see if I buy the box later). The download was very quick and it works. It's 160 kbps but it seems to sound rather good on my Creative Zen. It's DRM-free. When I finish listening to it I'll write my impressions about it. It doesn't look bad.

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 10:20
Originally posted by eddietrooper eddietrooper wrote:

I just downloaded In Rainbows. I paid 2 £ (let´s see if I buy the box later). The download was very quick and it works. It's 160 kbps but it seems to sound rather good on my Creative Zen. It's DRM-free. When I finish listening to it I'll write my impressions about it. It doesn't look bad.

I was a little more generous, 5 pounds which is about 10 dollars American I think.  A little bummed they don't take Discover card and no album cover art is provided with the download.  Really curious about the hard copy package.  Looking forward to hearing from those who ordered that.  Not ready to commit what is approximately $80 for that, but I might yet.  And when does this album get added for review here? Smile

-------------

Posted By: The-Bullet
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 11:50
Reading various news sites and forums it seems that most people are happy with what Radiohead are doing here in making their music "basically" download only, at least for now. What's more, it seems that this will be the future. Whilst this may be good or even great for the musicians with them getting a bigger cut and more control etc, I fail to see how listeners can be happy having to listen to music sampled at 160kbs or less.This may be ok for the ipod generation but it is not ok for me . A visit to the ranting room may be in order

-------------

"Why say it cannot be done.....they'd be better doing pop songs?"

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 13:52
Originally posted by The-Bullet The-Bullet wrote:

Reading various news sites and forums it seems that most people are happy with what Radiohead are doing here in making their music "basically" download only, at least for now. What's more, it seems that this will be the future. Whilst this may be good or even great for the musicians with them getting a bigger cut and more control etc, I fail to see how listeners can be happy having to listen to music sampled at 160kbs or less.This may be ok for the ipod generation but it is not ok for me . A visit to the ranting room may be in order

All my digital files are made 64 kbs in wma, which sounds good enough for me.  Maybe I don't have the hearing of a dog or I'm going deaf or something.  Granted I prefer to have a CD hard copy.

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:26
OK it's a little messed up that if you choose to pay they charge you an extra .54 pounds.
In an odd little coincidence, on my drive in to work there's been a lot of signs cropping up in properties for sale by a real estate agent named Thom York. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 17:57
It's pretty good. Not better than the best, but better than Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief--and I can definitely see it growing on. A lot. It's very good; lots of orchestra, which is cool.

Sounds fine, by the way...I'm listening on headphones. Nothing detracting, just because it's not a FLAC file. Who cares?

It's good. Get it :)

-------------

Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 19:15
I've really liked everything I've heard after Pablo Honey and this one's no exception.  Really sorry to hear about GoldenSpiral's problems with the download, although I had nothing to do with it.

Hope the guys make the bonus material available for hard copy purchase at some point without having to by the package with the LPs.

-------------

Posted By: arcer
Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 06:51
According to Radiohead there will be a hard copy release of In Rainbows in the new year. Of course, you could opt for the 0.01p donwload route to listen to the album and then purchase the cd version in '08. Not sure if this CD version will contain the extra material featured on the bonus CD that comes with Discbox but I doubt it.
Personally I went straight for the discbox cause I'm sad and want the vinyl version. 
Quick update on sales. According to Gigwise.com, unofficial figures are suggesting there have been 1.2 million downloads of In Rainbows. Another report suggested the average price paid was £4.99, which means each member of the band will trouser £1.2 million each. Nice work if you can get it. No figures on sales of the discbox yet.
I don't begrudge them a penny. On a record company CD sale a well-paid band will get an 8% royalty, so at an average price of say £12 the artists gets 96p for each CD sold. Multiply that by 1.2 million and you get £1,152,000 split between five band member or £230,000 each. The average record company - if involved - would do zero work except manufacturing (at about 50p per CD)  packaging and promotion (which in Radiohead's case you don't really need) and get £14.5 million gross as opposed to £230,000 for each band member (who did four years' work on the project - about 60k a year!).
Record labels are robber barons of the worst kind.
Support your local artist and pay a decent fee for the download. Yes, the 160kbps rate should probably have been increased to at least 240kbps but pay something reasonable for the chance to audition and then if you like it buy the CD in the new year.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk