Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42346
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Posted By: E-Dub
Subject: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Date Posted: October 06 2007 at 16:23
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/8988:8985 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/8988:8985

Could be quite an interesting project. I absolutely adore Alison and anything she does, and you combine her with Robert Plant and the brilliance of T-Bone Burnett, then Raising Sand could be one of  the best non-prog discs of the year.

E

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: andu
Date Posted: October 06 2007 at 20:47
Never heard of this project, but as a sucker for anything Zepp-related, I'll check it, thanks. I went to the Plant concert this summer, great memories Cool

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: October 06 2007 at 23:17
To be honest, I'll get it for Alison. A true American treasure and wildly talented.

E

-------------

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 10:24
I've been reading about this odd couple for a while.  For this collaboration they both were encouraged to take on music that is completely foreign to their known style and, since both are courageous artists, it should make for some very interesting tracks.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 12:29
I have it on order as I do for anything Plant related but to be honest I'm totally unfamiliar with Alison Krauss. It got a good review in Mojo though so looking forward to hearing it.

Posted By: zicIy
Date Posted: October 08 2007 at 00:43
i heard that. very nice stuff!

Date Posted: October 30 2007 at 09:40

I've been giving it a good listen and it's excellent. A strong collection of Country Blues, Folk and a bit of Rock 'n' Roll with a sympathetic backing band including T Bone Burnett and Marc Ribot.

Plant and Krauss compliment each others vocals beautifully.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 30 2007 at 09:52
A couple of hours ago I read a rave review of this album (which I saw yesterday in a music store) on Classic Rock magazine. It got 10/10 on their scale, which is pretty rare... Though it's not the kind of music I usually listen to, it really got me curious, and I might even decide to get it.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: October 31 2007 at 11:15
This album has got top reviews everywhere. I hope to check it out some time soon.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 01 2007 at 01:40
I read this topic this afternoon and suddenly I experienced an aural hallucination where I heard Zeppelin playing "Whole Lotta Love" with Jimmy Page's guitar and vocals replaced by Allison Krauss on vocals and electric violin.  

I know that sounds horrendous, but it really sounded great!

I then realized that with an imagination like that, it's very fortunate that I have never experimented with any mind altering substances.

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: November 01 2007 at 03:41
^ You should try Ian Anderson's version of Kashmir with that gorgeous violin chick, splendid! Thumbs%20Up

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: arcer
Date Posted: November 01 2007 at 18:44
Can't wait to hear this - sounds like a winner. Catch a preview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KF4dKq-6I

really interesting. Plant's doing great work these days. Saw him and Strange Sensation in Taormina,  Sicily earlier this year and he was awesome.

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: November 02 2007 at 18:32
I've heard most the album, brilliant stuff! 

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: November 03 2007 at 23:41
Just ordered it.  Should be amazing.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 17:12
I just bought a copy, & will play it tonight. Approve

I'm a big Zep fan, and know and enjoy some of Krauss' work (O brother where Art Thou soundtrack, etc), plus I enjoy folk, rootsy stuff, and some (less commercial) country and bluegrass, so listening to and enjoying this album should pose no difficulties for me. I previewed a couple of tracks at the store -- sounded like my kind of stuff, plus their voices seem to work well together.

I'll let you all know what I think (here) ASAP this week! Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 17:33
I got it yesterday, not bad.

Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 17:47
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

ErmmTony, you ol' Rush uber-fan, what's the extent of your connection to "roots", trad-rock or alt-country music? Don't you routinely put down Steeleye Span (a band I love)?

(The music mag reviews certainly seem to indicate more than a middling "not bad" score.)  Do you like Wilco? The Jayhawks?

Did you buy the album mostly as a Zep fan, or because you knew what you were getting into? Had you ever heard Alison Krauss' solo work? Got any country or bluegrass?

Just wondering!

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 17:53
Robert Plant looks cooler with a goatee, going by the album cover photo.

That's all I can say about it. LOL

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Robert Plant looks cooler with a goatee, going by the album cover photo.

That's all I can say about it. LOL
Ms Krauss ain't too hard on these eyes, I can tell you that....Wink

In any case, she's a very talented artist, and a major, revitalizing force in her field, by all accounts. Thumbs%20Up

(Album producer T Bone Burnett is certainly no talentless hack, either. He's a heavyweight, well-respected artist and producer.)

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

ErmmTony, you ol' Rush uber-fan, what's the extent of your connection to "roots", trad-rock or alt-country music? Don't you routinely put down Steeleye Span (a band I love)?

(The music mag reviews certainly seem to indicate more than a middling "not bad" score.)  Do you like Wilco? The Jayhawks?

Did you buy the album mostly as a Zep fan, of because you knew what you were getting into? Had you ever heard Alison Krauss' solo work? Got any country or bluegrass?

Just wondering!

I got it because I am a big Zep fan of course.
Naturally, in my 46 years I have been exposed to a lot of country and bluegrass. However, inevitably I prefer it when my heroes dabble rather than the real thing.

I am familiar with Wilco (not my cup o' char) but dont recall ever hearing The Jayhawks.

I like Ry Cooder, he offered hopefully. Wink

and yes, I am aware what type of music Mr Cooder is associated with...Geek...

I prefer Jazz and Classical to folky, country, bluegrassy stuff normally...Big%20smile

Date Posted: November 04 2007 at 21:25
Smile ^ Thanks for the response, pal -- I'm a major-league Ry Cooder fan, so we agree on that.  Thumbs%20Up

*******************************************************************************************

Thumbs%20Up One listen in, I think I'm really going to enjoy this album

Raising Sand is mostly cover versions of old country standards and classics, written by atists such as Gene Clark, the Everly Brothers, and Townes van Zant.

There is one Plant/Page composition, a re-working of "Please Read the Letter" from the excellent P&P Walking Into Clarksdale album of a few years back. This version (at this early stage with the album) was interesting to me, but I actually found that it didn't work as well from the country treatment, as the country numbers did from the Plant treatment.

Plant's voice sounds great -- he never really has to scream in this format, and I find the high notes still ring true and clear.Cool

As I've known for some time, Krauss has a beautiful clear voice. She sings like an absolute southern angel, and harmonizes very nicely with Plant (they exchange the lead vocal chores on different tracks).

Who should buy this album? Well, DON'T buy it just because you're a hard-rocking Led Zep fan. If that's the case, you should hear it first. This is country/bluegrass music.  It has an alt-country twist in some of the sparing, distorted electric guitar, but it's mostly acoustic bass, and fiddle (Krauss is a master on the fiddle), smaller drum kit, acoustic guitars, etc.

If one of your fave Zep tracks is "Tangerine," with its steel guitar, and country/folky feel, you may well like this, but caveat emptor ("buyer beware"): You should buy this disc primarily because you enjoy this kind of music, know and enjoy the work of Alison Krauss, and even know who T Bone Burnett is. (If his name doesn't appear on any albums in your collection, you might safely give Raising Sand a miss.)

But I quite like it so far! Big%20smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: November 05 2007 at 04:58
Peter, you mention The Jayhawks. Hollywood Town Hall may just be my favourite album in the Americana genre. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 19:44
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Peter, you mention The Jayhawks. Hollywood Town Hall may just be my favourite album in the Americana genre. Thumbs%20Up
Smile Hmmm.. sounds good. I'll have to pick it up. I only have ther "Rainy Day Music," which I really like. Do you have that one?

Ever hear Golden Smog ("supergroup" with members of Wilco, Jayhawks, etc.)?

*******************************************************************************************
Back to the Plant & Krauss, I've listened to it several times now, and I think it's a terrific CD, that well merits all the high critical praise it's garnering. (Another of the songwriters covered is Tom Waits, BTW.)

I said it was bluegrass, but despite Krauss being mainly associated with bluegrass, it's really more "alt" country. A very classy effort -- by turns uplifting, sadly beautiful, moving, and fun. I love it!Clap

Again though, Raising Sand likely WON'T suit the average Led Zep fan -- those folks should listen before buying! Stern%20Smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: November 10 2007 at 18:59
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Smile Hmmm.. sounds good. I'll have to pick it up. I only have ther "Rainy Day Music," which I really like. Do you have that one?

Ever hear Golden Smog ("supergroup" with members of Wilco, Jayhawks, etc.)?

Yes I have Rainy Day Music and it's a great album but not as good as Hollywood Town Hall or the follow up Tommorow The Green Grass IMO. You should enjoy both of these as RDM was heralded as a return to the older style Jayhawks.

I also have 2 Golden Smog albums, Down by the Old Mainstream and Weird Tales which are both pretty good. I think they released another this year but I haven't heard it.

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 22:44

[

Yes I have Rainy Day Music and it's a great album but not as good as Hollywood Town Hall or the follow up Tommorow The Green Grass IMO. You should enjoy both of these as RDM was heralded as a return to the older style Jayhawks.

I also have 2 Golden Smog albums, Down by the Old Mainstream and Weird Tales which are both pretty good. I think they released another this year but I haven't heard it.
Thanks for the recommendations, Nightfly -- I'll be checking out those Jayhawks albums ASAP.Smile

Back to the original topic, I'm still loving the Plant & Krauss. My wife plays it a lot as well. It's terrific stuff, for us  -- a polished gem of a "couple's" album. Big%20smile

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Era V.
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:01
Aye...sorry for the second thread about it, must remember to use search function!

It is a beautiful album though, draws a really great swathe of influence from both their recent careers and mixing them perfectly, from sublime to quirky and a whole hotch-potch of unusual instrumentation. 

Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:54
Originally posted by Era V. Era V. wrote:

Aye...sorry for the second thread about it, must remember to use search function!

It is a beautiful album though, draws a really great swathe of influence from both their recent careers and mixing them perfectly, from sublime to quirky and a whole hotch-potch of unusual instrumentation. 

Yes, I think it's superb -- one of my favourite album purchases in some time.

Krauss has some fine solo work too, if this CD makes anyone want to explore her stuff further.Thumbs%20Up

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: December 28 2007 at 12:16
Got this one for Christmas and find it to be much, much moodier and darker than I expected.  Almost a minimalist approach to the instrumentation, especially with the percussion.  I've never heard Robert sing so softly but his voice is very soothing and he harmonizes with her angelic vocals quite well.  I thought it would be "Plant goes country" but it's more in the eclectic folk category than bluegrass.  Very subdued and a real departure for both of them.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk