Print Page | Close Window

Oceansize Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42465
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 21:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Oceansize Appreciation Thread
Posted By: Prog-jester
Subject: Oceansize Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:01
I feel like these guys are terribly overlooked here. Beginning from the very fisrt EPs they were unique, and any comparisons weren't valid. With release of "Effloresce" they've brought new ideas in Psychedelic music - would anyone believe that band with CAN, CARDIACS and BLACK SABBATH among influences could go wrong!!! And they didn't! Amazing "Everyone into Position" has shown us another side of OCEANSIZE - they are composers, and one hell of composers!!! Unusual chord progressions and extraordinary harmonies, but this creates catchy melodies, earworming your mind for ages! And now "Frames" is finally released (I'm preparing the huge and thoughful review ), and I think OCEANSIZE must get some more attention here. They're equal to TOOL and PORCUPINE TREE in my book, in terms of both songwriting quality and groundbreaking approach. I hope ther time is gonna come and they'll get what they truly deserve. Long live Nu Prog!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Palegreenviper
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:35
I couldn't agree more. I purchased their first two albums in the summer on the basis of a recommendation that if I liked Porcupine Tree then I would quite like Oceansize. Now I can't get enough of them. Just purchased Frames at the weekend and have been playing it virtually continuously since.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:42
So it has finally been made.

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 17:50
One of my recent discoveries. I'm falling in love with their music recently and enjoying much of their albums. Amputee is one of my favorite songs from them. Hep hep hoorah Winkfor Oceansize.

-------------

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 17:52
They're a band I really like, among my favorites.  Everyone into Position is an excellent album, and Effloresce is very good.  Even they're EP, Music for Nurses is really good! 

My copy of Frames has been shipped to my house.  I'm looking forward to listening to it this weekend! (Hopefully!)

Posted By: FranMuzak
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:15
Great band indeed!
It is also a recent discovery for me (a few months ago) and i really liked them. I just bought  Frames too and i`m enjoying it very much.
Clap

Posted By: Fight Club
Date Posted: October 10 2007 at 23:04
Lately I can't get enough of them either. They're extremely unique, combining elements of many styles and artists including Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Tool, Radiohead, and Pink Floyd. They have psychedelic elements but also metal and post-rock with undeniably prog structures. A great deal of their songs have odd time signatures and syncopation, but are incredibly accessible and catchy. I find bands able to do that really remarkable.

Props for Oceansize.

-------------

Posted By: sean
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:02
i had heard quite a bit about them but never actually listened to them. i just listened to their music on the archives and i was very impressed. when i have some money i'll have to pick up their albums.

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 03:36
count me in. WHAT a band. roll on oct 22nd! (gig )

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 05:26
One of the few remaining bands which IMO only released brilliant albums (and has a discography with more than 2 albums).Clap

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 08:58
Originally posted by Fight Club Fight Club wrote:

A great deal of their songs have odd time signatures and syncopation, but are incredibly accessible and catchy.

I failed to find a single 4/4 signature on Frames actually (except for "Red Rag to A Bear", which is an outtake...but awesome!!!)

Posted By: yoel?
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:11
at this second, theyre my favurite band [my fav band changes every week r so]

even with the incredible frames im still in awe of everyone into position

heaven alive is the most uplifting song ive ever heard

I CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!

Posted By: pelican
Date Posted: October 11 2007 at 19:39
I decided to check out this band and Wow just Wow!!  Now the problem is where do I find their albums.  They are fantastic - they remind me alot of Muse but are way better than Muse (like the vocals better).

Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:17
Hey Mr.Prog-Jester, what do you think all of their EP's?

Posted By: Matteo
Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 07:11
They're my favourite band at the moment, and though unknown in Denmark, they're playing here in Copenhagen the 23th October, can't wait. Just got Frames through my mailbox, and after the first listening it sounds really promising.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/CTaxt/ - www.last.fm/user/CTaxt/

Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:05
Originally posted by pelican pelican wrote:

I decided to check out this band and Wow just Wow!!  Now the problem is where do I find their albums.  They are fantastic - they remind me alot of Muse but are way better than Muse (like the vocals better).

All you need is desire to get them, some patience and some money. I managed to get them in Ukraine - now try to persuade me you won't find them in USA!!!

Date Posted: October 12 2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Hey Mr.Prog-Jester, what do you think all of their EP's?

"Music for Nurses" is almost brilliant, a transition phase between heavy and psychy debut and my fave melodic "...Position" album. All songs are classy (if any of them would have been on "Effloresce", it would become a serious "...Position" rival in my book!).

"Amputee" has a wonderful "Ebb" trip, but this is mostly fans' stuff. Same goes almost for every other EP of them, some unreleased songs here and there ("Size of An Ocean", "A Very still movement", etc), but none from them is that genius as "Red Rag to a Bear" (best OCEANSIZE outtake ever!!!).

BTW, has anyone heard the "Dirty sweet smell of summer" song?

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 06:31
ive only got their two studio albums

everyone into position and frames

can somebody tell me the first ep is should buy, ive head good things about music for nurses

Posted By: SomethingGood
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by yoel? yoel? wrote:

can somebody tell me the first ep is should buy, ive head good things about music for nurses

There's actually 3 studio albums, so the next thing you should buy is their first album, Effloresce.

If you still want more after that, the best ep is definitely Music For Nurses

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/somethinggood/">
Click the image. CLICK IT!!!

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 08:59
Heard some of their music here and there, really good band.

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 12:16

Haven't heard the knew one, but Efflorence is their best, definately get that before you think of an EP. For the record, Music For Nurses is excellent too, but get that after.

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 15:59
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=144318">a lil FRAMES review

Posted By: Detric
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 17:25
Okay im gonna be the first one to say that I dont really like this band. I think they are okay, but not unique or anything. They are skilled musicians, and I like the music, but the vocals dont do anything for me at all. Ive listned to all their albums, and tried really hard to like them since my friend is obsessed with these guys, without any luck. I might give them another shot some time, and maybe I will start listen to them more often, but I cant say for sure right now.

Posted By: ian picken
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 17:36
I have seen them live 4 times now and they are awesome in the flesh.

Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 19:18
Well, Detric, tastes differ, and there's no use in forcing yourself thru something. But if you feel like you'd like to check them again...go ahead!!!

Posted By: aniwolfe
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 19:50
Just picked up FRAMES today and from first playthrough I was blown away. I love how they weave so many unique sounds together. They seem to be even more experimental and have greatly improved the sound quality.

Layers and layers of tones just float from my speakers...love it!

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 13 2007 at 23:52
They sound interesting!  So which album should a newbie try??

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2007 at 05:11
EVERYONE INTO POSITION - the most accessible

FRAMES - the most interesting

EFFLORESCE - the most psychedelic and less keen on melodic side

Decide for yourself...but I'd go in reverse - FRAMES/EVERYONE INTO POSITION/EFFLORESCE

Date Posted: October 14 2007 at 12:12
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

They sound interesting!  So which album should a newbie try??

Well, I listened to Effloresce first, and I thought it was pretty good.  So when I found Everyone into Position at a Barnes and Nobles one day, I picked it up, and it blew me away.  I wasn't expecting to be that amazing!  I'd say Everyone into Position is a good choice to buy, I have yet to listen to Frames though (that's for later today).

Date Posted: October 14 2007 at 18:28
I just picked up Frames....cannot wait!

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: October 14 2007 at 20:04
Thanks all here, I never heard of this band, and because of this thread I bought 2 albums of them: Everyone into position and Frames. Haven't listened to Frames yet, but I'm blown away by Everyone into Position (playing it now for the 3rd time in a row...)
Absolutely love "Music for a Nurse" and "Ornament/The Last Wrongs".

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Date Posted: October 14 2007 at 20:26
I'm on my second listen of Frames.  It was good the first time, but I was interrupted several times while listening to it.

What's up with the booklet?  Why is the writing in almost the same red as the background?! Confused

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 12:57
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

Thanks all here, I never heard of this band, and because of this thread I bought 2 albums of them: Everyone into position and Frames. Haven't listened to Frames yet, but I'm blown away by Everyone into Position (playing it now for the 3rd time in a row...)

What about "The Charm Offensive"? My fave "songy" track from them. And "A Homage to Shame" is total sickness, I adore it!!!

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 14:24
yeah charm offensives probably my favoruite song on the album aswell
and i love homage to a shame, but what about heaven alive?thats so uplifting, its great

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 14:53

yeah charm offensives probably my favoruite song on the album aswell
and i love homage to a shame, but what about heaven alive?thats so uplifting, its great

ermm...hate to say this, but I don't like this song (one of the few from 'Size!). And the video is quite crappy ("New Pin" being homemade is way more cool)

Posted By: Oceansizzle
Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 18:04
i personally like effloresce a little better than everyone into position...although i like frames better than both!

so far i've got everything they have released, and there are very few songs that im not in love with.  there are alot of really good songs that weren't released on their studio albums.  Red Rag to a Bear (by far my favorite), Relapse, Ebb, I/B/O/W, Breed Siamese, and Superfluous to Requirements are all worth checking out.  im pretty sure they are all on itunes, and all worth the 99 cents! 

definitely my favorite modern band.  the drummer blows me away on every song

Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

BTW, has anyone heard the "Dirty sweet smell of summer" song?

this is actually one of the few songs that i am not a big fan of, although i havent listened to it much.  i'll check it out again

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: October 15 2007 at 19:27

What about "The Charm Offensive"? My fave "songy" track from them. And "A Homage to Shame" is total sickness, I adore it!!!

Maybe I'm just a bit more charmed by the Post Rock tracks than by the Metal tracks, but I like the whole album. After listening it now for 4 times, I still like the two tracks I mentioned most...

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 15:39
Originally posted by Oceansizzle Oceansizzle wrote:

there are alot of really good songs that weren't released on their studio albums.  Red Rag to a Bear (by far my favorite)... the drummer blows me away on every song

I like your words about Red Rag, I like your words about Mark Hedon, I like your nick...I like your way man!

Date Posted: October 16 2007 at 15:41

Maybe I'm just a bit more charmed by the Post Rock tracks than by the Metal tracks, but I like the whole album. After listening it now for 4 times, I still like the two tracks I mentioned most...

agreed. It's hard to hate Music for a Nurse really...

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 02:40

agreed. It's hard to hate Music for a Nurse really...

its hard to hate any of their songs!  even if it sounds weird the first couple listens...like the bonus track "voorhees" on frames...it will eventually grow on you.  i also didnt think i'd like sleeping dogs and dead lions after the first listen, but i came around.  honestly after the first listen of the new album i was slightly disappointed...but not for long.  i cant stop listening to it now

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by Oceansizzle Oceansizzle wrote:

honestly after
the first listen of the new album i was slightly disappointed...but not
for long.  i cant stop listening to it now

Can't say the same for me. In fact, the only let-down I felt was on "Only Twin", but I've got used to this song

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 12:34
I'm checking out Frames tonight, I'll drop by and let you know my 'initial' listen.

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 16:20
Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions is such a strange song at times, but I like it now.  Frames is very good! Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 21:58
Didn't make it to Frames...I had a huge amount to listen to today. I'm listening to Efflorence....so good. 3.5-4 stars is my ballpark rating.

Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 21:59
I see you gave it a 4 as well, Igor. . I see Novembre right above them...not a fan?

Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: October 17 2007 at 22:38
Love Oceansize, all albums. Though I'm still wondering why they're in space rock...

-------------

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt

Posted By: Darklord55
Date Posted: October 18 2007 at 13:09

Thanks again for helping find a new band.  Great stuff.   Only one problem.    Where do I get "Frames" in the US without paying import prices?  Ouch

Date Posted: October 18 2007 at 15:05
^ I hope guys from US will help you

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

I see you gave it a 4 as well, Igor. . I see Novembre right above them...not a fan?

Expected more from them (still wondering what they're doing there ).
As for EFFLORESCE - I like "Long Forgotten" immensely, and if there'd be no this song, I'd rate it with 3 stars. It lacks MELODIES, the very thing I seek in every music. But it's hella atmospheric.

Yep, what about moving OCEANSIZE into Heavy Prog or even Eclectic?

As for "Sleeping Dogs..." - I've noticed at once that this song screams weirdness . This is the oddest song by thm so far

Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: October 18 2007 at 15:07
I believe Oceansize will fit well in eclectic prog, their sound is nearly undefinable.

-------------

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: October 19 2007 at 12:14
Sounds like an interesting band, I'll have to check them out.

Date Posted: October 19 2007 at 17:23
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Sounds like an interesting band, I'll have to check them out.

I believe it's a Must

Date Posted: October 19 2007 at 19:49
Track 2 on Frames...this is absolutely amazing.

Date Posted: October 19 2007 at 21:05
Best Oceansize album...5 stars no doubt. 2nd best album of the year, due to Fear of a Blank Planet.

Date Posted: October 19 2007 at 21:13
Sorry for posting 3 in a row...but that was one of the most beautiful albums ever...most beautiful since Lightbulb Sun.

Date Posted: October 20 2007 at 09:17
you bet!!!

Album of the Year for ME (I dislike that Mainstream Metal tendency in PT music)

Date Posted: October 22 2007 at 18:18

agreed!  older porcupine tree is way better. 

Date Posted: October 23 2007 at 22:39
i know its hard to describe a band by comparing it to other bands, but what bands come to mind when listening to Oceansize?

i think they sound like a mix of Dredg, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Pink Floyd, Incubus (make yourself/morning view...not new incubus), Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, and maybe some Isis. 

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: October 23 2007 at 23:14
Listening to Fames now....

TIGHT! Big%20smile

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 00:04

you bet!!!

I can never pick just ONE album of the year. I have to at least seperate them into categories and often maybe 5 albums will be equal. I love FOABP (of course), but also love Frames, and those are just two albums!

Who cares which exceeds which, music is music and it's all great as far as I'm concerned Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 16:22
^same to me. I have also GRAYCEON, THE GOURISHANKAR and THE WATCH among others

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 16:58
This thread has at least intrigued me into hearing this band which up until when I saw this thread I had not heard of.  How representative is the song on PA, Massive Bereavement, to their sound?  It kind of had a Soundgarden-type vibe to it.  I've seen them described as similar to Radiohead or Coldplay, but also as post-rock or post-grunge. 

So far, I haven't been too keen on what I have heard of post-rock, so I am not sure if I would like this band or not.  I will have to try out the videos on the main page to get try and get a wider taste of their sound.

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 17:12
^ you should Massive Bereavemnet, IMHO, isn't that much good for first encounter, better try TRAIL OF FIRE, RED RAG TO A BEAR and UNFAMILIAR on their MySpace page. And yes, check videos!!!

Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 17:40
yeah Massive Bereavement is definitely not the best song to hear first.  it took me a little while to get warmed up to that one.  this song is however a pretty good representation of their sound, but their essence cant be captured in one song.  also their sound has progressed a little since their first album (with massive bereavement).  they vary their songs from very chill/post-rock (music for a nurse, long forgotten, savant), to all out head-bangers (catalyst, you cant keep a bad man down, unfamiliar), to 10 minute epics that build up to an intense climax (women who love men who love drugs, ornament/the last wrongs, the frame, red rag to a bear).

but i would not compare them to coldplay...and i dont know why anyone would.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: October 24 2007 at 18:41

Well I ordered the new Oceansize cd from Play.com to see what all the fuss is about. So today my package arrives, I open it looking forward to playing it and.......Angry.......it's a Beverley Knight cd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do I keep Beverley Knight or return it for Oceansize Ermm Wink

Date Posted: October 25 2007 at 08:32
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

...I open it looking forward to playing it and.......Angry.......it's a Beverley Knight cd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha-ha. This is how they trying to sell some extra copies of this sheet

Posted By: Matteo
Date Posted: October 25 2007 at 08:33
Isn't it funny(sad?) how a guy like Justin Timberlake recently sold 55.000(!) tickets to a show here in Copenhagen a few months ago, and tuesday night a fantastic band like Oceansize didn't even manage to attract enough people to fill out the "Little Vega"(capacity about 500 people)???

Anyway, if you get to chance to see Oceansize live, do not hesitate! Despite a bit of sound problems in the beginning,  they just got better and better, and the beauty of the closer, Ornament / The Last Wrongs, is impossible to put down in words..

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/CTaxt/ - www.last.fm/user/CTaxt/

Date Posted: October 25 2007 at 19:06
Originally posted by Matteo Matteo wrote:

Anyway, if you get to chance to see Oceansize live, do not hesitate! Despite a bit of sound problems in the beginning,  they just got better and better, and the beauty of the closer, Ornament / The Last Wrongs, is impossible to put down in words..

I can only imagine!  They haven't gotten enough support or fame for a tour in the states Cry
The day they do, i'll drive as far as my car will take me to see them.  Its just too bad i cant drive to europe...or afford a plane ticket.  maybe if i win those tickets to see zeppelin.....

Posted By: Anaon
Date Posted: October 26 2007 at 04:08
I'm just discovering the new album, I'm really impressed again even if it seems to be more difficult to get into, I love their choices, the way they create long songs. This last one is more complex I find...

My favourite one at the moment remains Everyone into Position.

-------------
My music: http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/
My blog: http://groovesandmemories.com/" rel="nofollow - http://groovesandmemories.com/

Date Posted: October 27 2007 at 15:47
FRAMES is in Top-10 for 2007

Date Posted: October 27 2007 at 15:48
FRAMES is in Top-10 for 2007

even despite waсky 2-star wordless rating

Date Posted: November 01 2007 at 01:34
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

My favourite one at the moment remains Everyone into Position.

Its hard to pick my favorite, but i think im leaning towards Effloresce.  its just so hard to skip a track!

Date Posted: November 01 2007 at 15:38
i want to buy the music for nurses ep [ive got all 3 albums now] but when i go to the oceansize website, then shop they dont sell any of their eps

anyone know where i can get them from, or do i just try my luck on ebay

Date Posted: November 02 2007 at 01:06
amazon?  itunes?  probably not any stores in the states...i havent found any

Date Posted: November 02 2007 at 13:32

well i dont wat a download, i want the CD so ill check amazon
thanks

Big%20smile

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 17:20
can't stop listening to VOORHEES. This is their most epic track. Awesome and really that haunting.

Anymore impressions on FRAMES?

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 23:12

can't stop listening to VOORHEES. This is their most epic track. Awesome and really that haunting.

Anymore impressions on FRAMES?

It's still one of the sickest albums of the year, if not THE sickest.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 18:31
wow. Now they're next to FOABP in Top-2007!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk