Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43031
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 19:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pat Metheny
Posted By: Shakespeare
Subject: Pat Metheny
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:53
I don't hear enough about this guy on this site, so I'd like to start a discussion about him. He's one of my favourite musical artists ever, and he's my favourite guitarist, and Speaking of Now is one of my all-time favourite albums. If you don't know this amazing jazz guitarist, then please go buy an album. If you do know his stuff, then please vote. 

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:55
Offramp because I saw them on tour for that album at the Atlanta Agora when I was too young to get in.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:56
I'll very gladly follow your advice... I have Joni Mitchell's live album Shadows and Light, and Pat's performance is phenomenal!

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:57
That's a great album, Raf.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:03
And yours is a great review indeed... So much for people who complain about teenagers being shallow and illiterate!Clap

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:12
Embarrassedshucks

I'm writing another review right now...

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:21
Shadows and Light really introduced me to Joni, Jaco, and Pat.  Saw the live concert on cable back when it was new.  The DVD's quite good, too.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:43
I'm a huge fan of Metheny, but for some reason his most popular works are not that much to my liking... Secret Story in particular was overblown and boring apart from the beautiful opening track, imo! I've heard Metheny being referred to as "the soccer mom of jazz guitar" and I have to say that I understand the accusations to some degree. Wink

However, let's stay positive. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (with Lyle Mays) is easily his strongest effort imo, but out of your list, I'd say Offramp is my fav with The Way Up and Imaginary Day close behind.

Nice poll!

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:44
I was actually blown away by Speaking Of Now. A nice return after a couple of discs that I felt fell a little short.

Pat's awesome. A Kansas City boy, too (Lee's Summit, a suburb).

E

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:47
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Metheny, but for some reason his most popular works are not that much to my liking... Secret Story in particular was overblown and boring apart from the beautiful opening track, imo! I've heard Metheny being referred to as "the soccer mom of jazz guitar" and I have to say that I understand the accusations to some degree. Wink

However, let's stay positive. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (with Lyle Mays) is easily his strongest effort imo, but out of your list, I'd say Offramp is my fav with The Way Up and Imaginary Day close behind.

Nice poll!

Man, I can't agree with you more regarding AFW, SFWF. Absolutely beautiful. First Circle is also a good one. Love the early ECM recordings.

I do enjoy Letter From Home and Still Life (Talking) quite a lot, though.

E

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:03
I like Imaginary Day a lot too.  There's also a live DVD of that that's pretty good. 
I have to admit the Metheny section of my collection is fairly big. Embarrassed
And still I have much to explore.  The guy's been way too prolific.

-------------

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:24
I guess my favourite is SPEAKING OF NOW as well, but in fact I prefer the DVD SPEAKING OF NOW LIVE, which is incredibly exciting - just like having Pat and his band in your living room!

All the other CDs you mention are fun to listen to, although I agree parts of SECRET STORY sound overblown.

But what a visionary player he is! In my opinion Pat's career is much more exciting than that of Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Robert Fripp or other prog greats.

When it comes to rock music in general, Jimmy Page is my favourite guitarist. When it comes to progressive music, no one beats Metheny!

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:38
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I guess my favourite is SPEAKING OF NOW as well, but in fact I prefer the DVD SPEAKING OF NOW LIVE, which is incredibly exciting - just like having Pat and his band in your living room!

All the other CDs you mention are fun to listen to, although I agree parts of SECRET STORY sound overblown.

But what a visionary player he is! In my opinion Pat's career is much more exciting than that of Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Robert Fripp or other prog greats.

When it comes to rock music in general, Jimmy Page is my favourite guitarist. When it comes to progressive music, no one beats Metheny!

I enjoy the heavy guitarists in prog, but the light ones provide some balance.  The masters for me though are both that can do both.  I'm not naming any names though. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:39
\m/

Come on, we're proghead, who cares if it's overblown?!?! Secret Story rules. And I think I will vote now and break the tie.

Speaking of Now!!!!

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:14
OK, I'm gonna be the first to vote for Secret Story...yes, it's overblown, that's one of the reasons I love it!

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:26

I've heard Metheny being referred to as "the soccer mom of jazz guitar" and I have to say that I understand the accusations to some degree.

Then what do you call more down-to-earth guitarists? Trailer trash?

By the way, I only meant that PARTS of SECRET STORY are overblown (the parts where you get a lot of orchestra without much guitar); I still think it's a deeply moving album.

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:32
I bought Still Life (Talking) the other day because I knew I wanted to explore PMG, but couldn't really remember which album to look for from seeing PA ratings. ...And it was only $4.99 used on cd. It's good and I like it, but I don't think I've struck gold with PMG yet. What do you guys think? Are there any prog highlights in Still Life (Talking) that I could come to expect or to look for in other albums?

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:33
The only thing I can add about Metheny is that you haven't lived until you've seen him, along with Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, and Michael Brecker, take the stage with Joni during her jazz phase. 

The entire concert is available on a stunning DVD, "shadows and light."   Buy it, rent it, but do not miss it. 

Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 14:06
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The only thing I can add about Metheny is that you haven't lived until you've seen him, along with Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, and Michael Brecker, take the stage with Joni during her jazz phase. 

The entire concert is available on a stunning DVD, "shadows and light."   Buy it, rent it, but do not miss it. 

Thumbs%20Up

That is such a good show. 

No no no no no no, no no no no no no no, no no no no no no no, I'm not a juvenile deliquent. Big%20smile

Jaco and Pat and Joni, oh my!

You have forced me to go away and watch it once again.Confused

-------------

Posted By: maups2
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 17:09
Hmm torn between Speaking of Now and Offramp.. I think I'll go for Speaking of Now, only because it was the first album I heard by him.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 17:25
pat metheny is one of my fav jazz guitarists. I voted Offramp because i love the mood of the album, but i also love The Way Up, The Road To You Live (best versions of those songs), American Garage, Bright Size Life, and others

i like Song X, even though it's not really Metheny but Ornette Coleman songs, but it's still interesting to hear Metheny in a more free jazz/bebop setting. i can only listen to the album in small doses though.

oh, and how come Charlie Hunter isnt in the jazz-rock/fusion section of this sight? he's probably more progressive than Metheny himself.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: October 28 2007 at 17:45
Metheny pwns. Besides the classic Bright Size Life, Secret Story is easily his best.

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: October 29 2007 at 14:07
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I've heard Metheny being referred to as "the soccer mom of jazz guitar" and I have to say that I understand the accusations to some degree.

Then what do you call more down-to-earth guitarists? Trailer trash?

That was entirely tongue in cheek... as I said, I'm a huge fan of Metheny.  I was mainly referring to the commercial aspects of his music. You've got to admit that Metheny is far more easily approachable to the average music listener than the likes of John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner etc. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Shadows and Light ..................... The DVD's quite good, too.

Have they reissued it without that bloody awful footage of 70's Las Vegas - I really want to see every moment of  Pastorius and Brecker  blowing up a storm of Dry Cleaner From Des Moines.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: October 29 2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Shadows and Light ..................... The DVD's quite good, too.

Have they reissued it without that bloody awful footage of 70's Las Vegas - I really want to see every moment of  Pastorius and Brecker  blowing up a storm of Dry Cleaner From Des Moines.

I have the original DVD, I think.  Less Pastorius and Brecker on mine?  Boo! Thumbs%20Down

-------------

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: October 30 2007 at 20:02
I think The Way Up is the greatest of his accomplishments.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 20:47
Pat Metheny Group's self titled album is the best thing Metheny ever did in my opinion. Out of the choices though, The Way Up.

Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 20:25
I just heard "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" for the first time today.

Blew me away.

I can't believe I hadn't heard it until just now. Metheny is now without a doubt my second favourite artist ever, surpassed only by a fat hair by Magma.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 21:59
I tend to like his older stuff. Offramp is a good CD though.

Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 22:06
I like all his stuff. Except for the half-ass middle period, particularly "We Live Here" which I am liking more and more. He rawks out hard. 

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 22:13
I've yet to hear any of these albums, but doesn't he have Pedro Aznar play on one of Metheny's mid-80s albums? I loved Aznar in Seru Giran, so I can only imagine how well his fretless bass playing would work within a more jazz-orientated setting.

Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

I just heard "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" for the first time today.

Blew me away.

I can't believe I hadn't heard it until just now. Metheny is now without a doubt my second favourite artist ever, surpassed only by a fat hair by Magma.
You've been majorly smitten with Metheny.  I'm a long time fan.  Like many greats who started out in the '70's, I prefer his older works to his new ones.  More inspired music, I think.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk