Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4322
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 23:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jadis - I Don’t Get It
Posted By: sigod
Subject: Jadis - I Don’t Get It
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:10
I have tried very hard over the years and I'm not saying these guys are crap but to me, Jadis sounds well, how should I say it, a tad flat and one dimensional. It's a shame because on paper the line up looks amazing.

I don't deny that they are okay live (I've seen them a few times) but...er I dunno, maybe I just haven't heard the right album yet. 

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Replies:
Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:13

try more than meets the eye: the best one!

jadis is a guitar oriented band. if you hate guitar hero solos, then this band is not for you

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:21
No I enjoy guitar prog, probably more than the keyboard laden stuff but thinking about it, much like I get annoyed by Ian Mosely's drumming at times, Gary Chandler's 'Chrystal Chorus' guitar sound does get on my tits.

I bought the live DVD recently and it seems that every song begins with Gary going 'deedle, deedle, deedle, deedle, bloody deedle' with the guitar. Sorry but I'm really, REALLY trying to like them but so far it's an uphil struggle.

Jadis appear to be the anti-Dream Theatre (not that I'm hugely keen on them either).

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.

Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:50

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Jadis appear to be the anti-Dream Theatre (not that I'm hugely keen on them either).

i would rather say jadis is an anti king crimson: they shine and are really down to Earth!

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 15:33

I only own one Jadis disc, Fanatic. It's a good disc, strong melodies, great musicianship. The only thing missing is DYNAMICS. Every tune has a static quality. No variance of structure, just elongated poppish tunes. The talent is there, love the voice, the lyrics are okay, maybe a bit more attention to the use of space could open things up and allow the music room to breath. The keyboards don't really have any presence, too ambient. They need to bite and take charge.  

Overall, good, but I want more.

Posted By: dropForge
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 21:42
Jadis is pretty lackluster. There's nothing remotely "heroic" about Chandler's guitar playing.

Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 22:49

Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Jadis is pretty lackluster. There's nothing remotely "heroic" about Chandler's guitar playing.

MAN! The guy SOUNDS like few guitarists are able to! listen to the solos on hiding in the corner!

-------------

Posted By: dropForge
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 23:02

Quote The guy SOUNDS like few guitarists are able to!

Hahahahahaha! You're hilarious, dude!

Posted By: chorus of one
Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 04:57
Neo-prog. Zzzzz......

Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 05:02
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

i would rather say jadis is an anti king crimson: they shine and are really down to Earth!

A criticism that is not entirely without merit I will admit.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:50

I only have More Than Meets The Eye but I really love it. They play so perfectly they sound like session musicians. Some people may think that's boring but I love well-played music. 

When I hear Gary Chandler's guitar playing, I often get the picture in my head of a sunrise or a sunset. It's happy music.

Anyone-else here love Jadis?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:03

I have tried very hard over the years and I'm not saying these guys are crap but to me, Jadis sounds well, how should I say it, a tad flat and one dimensional. It's a shame because on paper the line up looks amazing.

I don't deny that they are okay live (I've seen them a few times) but...er I dunno, maybe I just haven't heard the right album yet. 

I'm a big Jadis fan, but can understand what you are saying Sigod; they'll never be everyone's cup of tea and it doesn't surprise me that they get summarily trashed by VDGG and GG fans.

The problem they have always had is this 'neo-prog lite' tag (or pop with twiddly bits, as I've heard them be described!), which can too easily dismiss their musicianship.  If most serious proggers get into them, it would probably be through their debut, 'More Than meets The Eye (1992)'.

Personally, I find my fingers tap involuntarily along to all their stuff, but often want to hear something more intense after a couple of their albums...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: beterdedthnred4
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:07
I love their first two albums, especially the stellar More than Meets the Eye, but I don't like the samey aspects of their subsequent work.

Posted By: Infinity
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:48

It's melodic and energetic - don't expect your mind to be stretched

-------------
I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:21
i was initially impressed with "more than meets the
eye" and "across the water" when they were
released but the effect was wearing thin fairly quickly.
still, good band, but hardly fit to shake the earth off its
axis – not that this is a necessity at all.

allow me an off-topic. just a word to all the people in
the deep south of the USA – we in germany are with
you in our thoughts in these dreadful times. take
care of yourselves.

Posted By: felona
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:35

^^^

I second that last  sentiment iguana

Yep ... I have a similar battle with Jadis - I really  WANT to like them, as they seem really *nice* band ... nothing offensive, just nothing spectacular. It DOES sound a bit samey but if you want some pleasant music that gives your ears a rest after VDGG and the likes ... then look  no further

and  Chandler's guitar work is good ... but his voice just doesn't do it for me ... sorry ... really want to love it but ...

-------------
I was never really sure what I was waiting for. When the moment came I was looking away ......
The Church "After Everything Now This"

Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 03:21

I have been listening to the free promo CD that you can get from Jadis's website. It was a surprise to me. Before that, I only had More Than Meets The Eye, which I thought was a great album. The new stuff on the promo CD is very different. This is really poppy and I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone down the same prog to pop route that Genesis did but just not so successfully.

So what went wrong? Are there any other albums worth getting after More Than Meets The Eye? When did Jadis start going downhill?

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 04:07
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I have been listening to the free promo CD that you can get from Jadis's website. It was a surprise to me. Before that, I only had More Than Meets The Eye, which I thought was a great album. The new stuff on the promo CD is very different. This is really poppy and I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone down the same prog to pop route that Genesis did but just not so successfully.

So what went wrong? Are there any other albums worth getting after More Than Meets The Eye? When did Jadis start going downhill?

well Bob, I've never heard Jadis actually described as 'going down the same route as Genesis' before...prog lite, yes...AOR with knobs on, yes....(tho I don't agree)

I know the promo CD you are talking about, and think its quite good.  For me, Fanatic is their strongest outing since Across the Water (1994), their second album, which is the one I'd suggest you get if you want to explore them further.

Please don't do it with a closed mind though...the number of radio friendly tunes can sometime belie Chandler's great guitar work...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: gulliman
Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 04:25
Fanatic is their strongest work to date, no doubt. I enjoy it despite the fact that I am not that big neo-prog fan (I like some IQ too and that's probably it). Their debut (More Than Meets The Eye) is pretty nice as well. Their other works pale in comparison to these two.

Posted By: luc4fun
Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 05:02

When I started listening More Than Meets The Eyse, I was not really impressed.

After some listening I appreciated it then, especially disc 1 (bonus diskhas nothing special to me).
Gary Chandler has a good technique and a nice voice (reminds me John Wetton).

-------------
Site Admin at www.progrockwall.com
the first social network for Proggers!

Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 05:13
Originally posted by luc4fun luc4fun wrote:

When I started listening More Than Meets The Eyse, I was not really impressed.

After some listening I appreciated it then, especially disc 1 (bonus diskhas nothing special to me).

That's right - the bonus disc is not good except for Out Of Reach.

-------------

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 07:34
I can relate to Fandango's opinion about Jadis being not energetic enough. I often feel the same though I like the music a lot overall. Their latest album Photoplay at least showed some energetic songs with There's a light and Asleep in my hands (see my review on Photoplay). Try these 2 with the volume turned up really loud !

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 22:25
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

try more than meets the eye: the best one!

jadis is a guitar oriented band. if you hate guitar hero solos, then this band is not for you

Jadis is hit and miss with me; however, I do agree with Greenback. I picked up More Than Meets The Eye over the summer and it's the best one I have so far.

E

-------------

Posted By: chazzyf
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:56
This looks like a thread that's been resurrected from the dead.

I too am a fan of Jadis and especially Gary's guitar playing. My thought's echo those of Fandango - excellent live band, great early material. The DVD and the last couple of studio albums I found to be really dull.

oh and I saw Gary in the crowd at the Dream Theater/Spocks Beard gig at Shephers Bush Empire once (SFAM tour). I didn't get the chance to ask him whether he was there to see the Beard or DT.

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 03:26
The band is like if Nick D'Virgillio from Spock's Beard and Eric Johnson started a melodic prog band.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 15:15
I own one album by Jadis... and it really gets some ZZZZZZZ out of me....

My lowest-rated neo-prog album without a doubt...(I actually have problems finding the "prog" connection").

-------------

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 09:34
If you don't "get' a band after repeated listens & putting in a sincere effort, then move on. Stern%20Smile

There's a lot to choose from out there, and everything isn't for everyone. Your taste in music is your own. We can't help you -- you don't need help.

When young (teens -- early 20s) & experimenting with deeper, unfamiliar genres (like jazz perhaps) & artists, you may find them more accessible when you are older & more experienced (this applies to literature as well) and/or musically broad-minded.  Still, perhaps that is not the case here, as in my experience a lot of "neo" lacks any real depth.

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 10:37
I can´t think of a band´s name that sounds more Neo than Jadis...LOL

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

If you don't "get' a band after repeated listens & putting in a sincere effort, then move on. Stern%20Smile

For someone that always tries to bring the lighter side of the music-fan and who wants music to be just music, be fun, you take criticisms on a band too seriously , Mr. Teacher....WinkLOLTongue

-------------

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 19:42
Jadis are a very decent band I think , not my favourite neo prog band but decent anyway. I am pleased I purchased "more than meets the eye" I'd give it four stars.
Some people think Jadis are a little boring by what I can tell and though I would hardly consider them exciting I think their lyrics are wonderful and their song writing very good. Jadis are a good band !  If you are reading this thread and haven't actually heard Jadis give them a try !   

Posted By: khammer99
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 20:00
 I enjoyed Photoplay, and have More Then Meets the Eye on the way. On the the Photoplay album, I thought the album started strong, but then somewhere in the middle, they seemed to run out of gas, or ideas or something. So, the first part of the album I liked alot, while the second half, not so much.
 Maybe I just have a short attention span or something. :)

-------------
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has

been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.

- Terry Pratchett

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 24 2007 at 00:33
I don't get music so much as music gets me.

Since there are no streaming mp3s of Jadis at this site, I checked out the band site to listen to samples http://www.jadisweb.co.uk/sound_vision.htm - (CLICK).   I did get a couple of mp3s and watched a video clip from the site, but the limited music I heard didn't get me.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: dante.dio
Date Posted: November 24 2007 at 22:28
I agree with the OP.  The only Jadis tracks that ever attracted me are "What Goes Around" and "Make Me Move"... but after multiple listens, all they had were catchy themes and were mostly, as you put it, one dimensional.

-------------
----Progressive Rock----
                   is
---Music For Musicians---

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk