Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43306
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 13:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your 2nd priority
Posted By: sircosick
Subject: Your 2nd priority
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:02
Which music listed do you like most (supposing prog is your cup of tea)?

I'm sure a lot of akin polls has been made a long time ago, but let me make a poll of all this...... for curiosity Big%20smile

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Replies:
Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:07
You forgot a lot in your list.  Classic Rock, New Wave, Punk, Country (not that I'm a fan of the latter two, but you forgot them anyway).  I would say classic rock, followed closely by new wave, then metal, folk and jazz. 

Oh and you also forgot Reggae and Gregorian Chant.  Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:15
I made a selection doc., you've to chose out of my list.... if not, just pick 'other' Smile

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:20
Prog isn't really my 1st priority...

All of the genres I listen to are pretty much in the same level as prog, even though I have more prog in my collection than anything else...

Still I hold the other genres I listen to in the same level as prog when talking about priority in music.

EDIT:
    I have to stop repeating myself!

-------------

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:30
Outside of prog my main intrests right now are in (non-prog) experimental and avant-garde musics that somtimes can fall inside the listed genres. Some of these musical movments include minimalism, indie-experimental, no wave, noise, all kinds of free improv and electroacoustic.

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:37
Jazz Smile

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:43
Btw, I picked classical all the way.

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:45
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Prog isn't really my 1st priority...

All of the genres I listen to are pretty much in the same level as prog, even though I have more prog in my collection than anything else...

Still I hold the other genres I listen to in the same level as prog when talking about priority in music.

EDIT:
    I have to stop repeating myself!

Oh no!...... Try not to be heard by PHP if they weren't banned (you get me) LOL

-------------

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:46
Its interesting when I first joined the sight there was a poll like this going around back then I picked metal, It's interesting to think how much PA has changed my musical taste even outside of prog.Hug

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:48
Classic Rock, probably. Classical is close, even though I've heard next to nothing.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

I get it.Wink

A good guy (in a strange way) in the wrong place.

-------------

Posted By: Beckham
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:54
Classic Rock 

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

Outside of prog my main intrests right now are in (non-prog) experimental and avant-garde musics that somtimes can fall inside the listed genres. Some of these musical movments include minimalism, indie-experimental, no wave, noise, all kinds of free improv and electroacoustic.

I like a lot of that as well as a lot of instrumental DJ music from the mid 90s, DrumnBass, acid jazz, hip-hop from the late 80s, 70s funk, Dub Reggae, early 80s California hardcore punk, Indian music, mid 20th century French neo-classical. There is so much good music out now, considering past and future, that you can't get all of it anymore.

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:03
I was thinking... My top priority goes between prog and jazz. However, I listen to prog mostly, and if that was the measure, then my 2nd priority would be pop-rock. So basically I take prog as my premier because it's what I liten to all the time. Then I take jazz as my second because it's what I want to listen to, it's what I play, and it's what I like more than what I listen to... does that make sense?

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:04
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

Classic Rock, probably. Classical is close, even though I've heard next to nothing.

That's something you should change. There is some really phenomenal classical music out there.

Which is why that's my 2nd priority. Stravinsky is one of my favourites now.

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:05
It's hard to say...I'm thinking "classic rock", although it's not a genre...

Meh, can't choose.

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:07
Classic Rock gets my vote.

Posted By: asimplemistake
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:10
Classical for me.  Mainly Minimalism and other more modern forms of classical, but I can really listen to anything classical (except for most operas).

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:24
Jazz, world music and...good old NEW WAVE!!

(of course they're not exclusive)

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:49
Metal Evil%20Smile

(could be first priority, with prog coming 2nd, haven't decided yet Embarrassed)

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 19:51
My first and only priority now is "anything good". But I'm really wanting electronic and classical stuff now.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 20:50
Hmmm... hard to say. I'm not sure if prog is at the top of my list, tho' it's the genre I know the most 'bout. These days I find myself exploring wealths of avant-garde music, from noise to EAI to drone to free-folk. This also is the sort of music I'm actively listening to in the live domain. 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:00
the blues for me....  in college picked up a love of Elmore James from a friend of mine. Sort of went from there...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:04
Indie. Copious amounts of indie.
Generally of a more experimental nature, more of an art-rock feel.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:05
Jazz, probably because I think jazz titles are second in number to prog titles.  A lot of other artists that may or may not belong here, but aren't.  That amorphous group might outnumber the jazz titles.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Snipergoat
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:30
Psychedelic Rock

Not on the list though :(

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:48
Classic Metal.  I am not much into the current metal scene, but the NWOBHM and even the cheesy metal of the 80s and early nineties.

-------------

Posted By: MonkeyphoneAlex
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 21:52
Classical, Jazz, Alternative rock, classic rock.  All the stuff I listen to in minority, but woul take priority in the absence of prog.  What makes prog awesome is that it incorporates elements of all the different genres I like.

-------------
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST."
-FZ

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 22:12
C'mon, where's Euro-pop and any song with pedal steel?

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 22:17
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

As far away from my ears as possible. 

-------------

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 22:21
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Indie. Copious amounts of indie.Generally of a more experimental nature, more of an art-rock feel.

Deerhoof is really cool...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 22:22
Other... prog

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: jammun
Date Posted: November 07 2007 at 22:26
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

As far away from my ears as possible. 

Aw, no Abba?  No Mouth & MacNeil?  No Human League?  And no Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys? 

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 01:38
I'm partial to basically anything from the late 60s/70s (aside from...The Osmands and such), so I'm a big fan of hard rock, early metal, singer-songwriter, jazzrock, blues...etc.  Many people lump these under "classic rock" so I'll vote for that one.  From the list, Alternative is the only one that doesn't always grab me, it's sort of hit or miss with a lot of pale imitators but still plenty of quality bands.

edit: I could have sworn classic rock was on thereConfused, hmm, I'll go with blues then...

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 01:47
As someone else said before me, anything good, anything that floats my boat... Which rules out slushy melodic pop form any country in the world!LOL

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 07:17
No votes for folk so far? I'm quite surprised...

By "folk" I mean here any ethnic music.

It doesn't mean, however, that I enjoy every ethnic music, on the contrary -- there are ethic tunes I just can't stand (Russian folk melodies and, especially, singing Dead, for example).

But thinking overall, folk seems to be a fair choice for me, especially keeping in mind my special attitude to some throat singing (Tuvan mainly...)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 08:06
Indie and electronica in roughly equal measure.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 09:41
Avant-Garde, Jazz and Metal.

I like other genres too, like Punk, Classical, Blues and Folk.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 10:12
Hard Rock/Metal, then Blues, Folk, Jazz & Classical

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 12:22

Classical, no doubt. But I do listen to some classic rock and jazzrock as well. I'm afraid I don't have a real broad taste.

The best prog is like Readers' Digest (listeners digest?): taking the best of the musical genres I like. For instance, it's very interesting to see the tastes of the Yes-men, when they mention their favourite music. Most of them listen to classical, jazz, rock, world music etc.

Posted By: limeyrob
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 13:44
Brass band  closely followed by classical (Baroque more accurately) so I voted for other.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 14:55
Metal....

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 17:24
Ermm Well, it might not be "cool" to say this here, but prog is far from being my first priority in music.

I have a fair number of (mostly) classic prog albums, sure, but they are greatly out-numbered by my classic rock (and classic prog is really just a sub-type of classic rock, IMO), pop/new wave and folk/Celtic stuff.

You'll also find plenty of jazz, fusion, blues, classical, baroque, medieval, and even some country and bluegrass in my collection.

Heck, my Neil Young collection, at some 30 CDs, roughly equals my Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant & Crimson combined.

I am much more of a music fan than just a prog fan. Good music is good music -- categories and pigeon holes be damned! Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 17:40
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

I get it.Wink

A good guy (in a strange way) in the wrong place.

Maybe Ermm

-------------

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Ermm Well, it might not be "cool" to say this here, but prog is far from being my first priority in music.

I have a fair number of (mostly) classic prog albums, sure, but they are greatly out-numbered by my classic rock (and classic prog is really just a sub-type of classic rock, IMO), pop/new wave and folk/Celtic stuff.

You'll also find plenty of jazz, fusion, blues, classical, baroque, medieval, and even some country and bluegrass in my collection.

Heck, my Neil Young collection, at some 30 CDs, roughly equals my Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant & Crimson combined.

I am much more of a music fan than just a prog fan. Good music is good music -- categories and pigeon holes be damned! Smile
I like this attitude...prog has enough to offer that many often forget all the great stuff that is out there.  I've recently caught up with some old favorites such as folk and blues and had forgotten how much I loved the music after a long prog-only period.  When you mix things up every so often and visit new things, the old favorites sound even better...and fresh when you come back to them. 

btw, good to see a Neil Young fan on here - I'm only really familiar with the early stuff including Springfield and CSNY...what I've heard is great.  Expecting to Fly and Sugar Mountain are beautiful pieces of songwriting.

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 19:47
I would say Prog-Related, since there is a fair degree of prog crossover in most of the music I like...

Gothic ... and not just good old fashioned Fields of The Nephilim style goth-rock or All About Eve Gothic Folk Rock, but anything gothic-tinged from Neoclassical and Ethereal, through Dreampop and Darkwave to EBM, Industrial and Gothic Metal...

After that, Anything epic, which probably explains my guilty secret liking of female Power Ballads and Torch songs in general. (Bonnie Tyler, Heart, Pat Benatar, Laura Branigan...)

-------------
What?

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 20:04
I voted other, in what catagory do you pidgeonhole Classic Rock? CCR, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, The Allman Brothers Band, some Rolling Stones etc..

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 08 2007 at 20:41
Avant Garde
Swing
Jazz
Classic Rock
Classical
European Folk (mostly Celtic/Scandinavian)
(my top 6 after prog)
So other for me.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: November 09 2007 at 16:08
90's Emo and Shoegaze. And some arty Indie, though I also enjoy the more straight forward stuff. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk