Print Page | Close Window

Gavin Harrison officially joining King Crimson

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43629
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gavin Harrison officially joining King Crimson
Posted By: sean
Subject: Gavin Harrison officially joining King Crimson
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 15:27
From king crimson's website, DGMlive.com:

News https://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=1210&login=true - Login | https://www.dgmlive.com/register.htm - Register | http://www.dgmlive.com/help.htm - Help

The Return of King Crimson
%20
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Mon., Nov 19, 2007

Ending weeks of speculation in various online communities, Robert Fripp has revealed in his latest http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=8366 - online diary that drummer Gavin Harrison (of Porcupine Tree) will be joining King Crimson.

The band will be playing a series of live dates in Chicago’s Park West – most recently the venue to RF and the LoCG appearance in the windy city.  Fripp notes “Park West is a fave venue, and one I have been working for 27 years. The LCG were here in 1989 & 1990…This is also the venue where, according to our current plans for King Crimson’s return to active-service in 2008, preparatory to the 40th. Anniversary Celebration of 2009, The Beast Of Crim will be playing a 4-night residency in August 2008 with KC’s third double-drumming formation.

The first formation: Jamie Muir & Bill Bruford (1972-73);
the second formation: Pat Mastelotto & Bill Bruford (1994-97);
the third formation: Pat Mastelotto & Gavin Harrison.

A fourth double-drumming formation, of 1981-84 (Adrian & Billy B), doesn’t quite count as Adrian’s primary focus was in the front line.”

Harrison is one of the most respected drummers of his generation, adding a prodigious technique to the work of Porcupine Tree as well collaborating with Jakko Jakszyk on The Bruised Romantic Glee Club, and most recently, Drop – an album with bassist and singer, 05Ric and also featuring contributions from Fripp. Some may recall Drop was featured as a DGMLive giveaway (see my review on http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/gavin-harrison-05ric-drop.html - the blog ), perhaps hinting at Harrison's proposed involvement. Only DGMLive  regular, Chocolatefireguard, spotted the listing on King Crimson's http://www.myspace.com/officialkingcrimson - myspace site : the top four musicians have been there for a couple of months now.

More details will be announced regarding  rehearsal schedules and ticket availability as soon as we get them.

Replies:
Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 15:36
wow, that's all I to say

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:08
Gee Bob, stealing another band's drummer isn't nice.  But then I guess he sort of did this already when sucked Bruford out of Yes.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:09
Is he quitting PT to do this?

-------------

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:17
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I hope not!

But in any case, that's way cool to hear. Way to go Gavin!

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:17
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

wow, that's all I to say

My words exactly.

Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:18
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I hope not!

But in any case, that's way cool to hear. Way to go Gavin!

Although I believe PT's sucess is growing more and more...this is very good for Gavin. People will take him more seriously as a virtuostic drummer.

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:40
Just read it on the KC site.  Incredible.

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:44
Oh God I hope he's not leaving PT....  His drumming on Fear of a Blank Planet was excellent....

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:46
I bet he does both.

Oh, and by the way, this is @#&%! AWESOME!!!!

E

-------------

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:48
This is great and all but, only shows in Chicago?
They should tour.

Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:59
The PT and SW sites do not have a thing about this yet.  Hope he is able to do both.

Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 17:05
Well he was in Blackfield..
Steve Wilson bundles maybe 5 or more projects himself.

I'm sure it can be handled.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 17:21
I know that many on this site frown upon financial success, but I think at this point in their careers sticking with Porcupine Tree will be far more profitable then leaving them to join King Crimson (although I think Bill Bruford learned that previously too).  I think that as enjoyable as it probably will be for him to moonlight with King Crimson, he shouldn't quit his day job.  Especially with the frequency that King Crimson has gone through musicians during their history.

-------------

Posted By: sean
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Oh God I hope he's not leaving PT....  His drumming on Fear of a Blank Planet was excellent....

he's not leaving porcupine tree, from what i've heard they are taking 2008 off for steven wilson to work on other projects.

Posted By: 46and2
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 18:29
WOW! i have to say this is the greatest news to me since... ever

-------------

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 18:38
Originally posted by 46and2 46and2 wrote:

WOW! i have to say this is the greatest news to me since... ever

-------------

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 18:47
BTW:  http://www.fripp.com/patriciaandrobertfripp.html - http://www.fripp.com/patriciaandrobertfripp.html

Um... anyone interested? Only 55 bucks... Confused

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 19:14
I have to tell you, I have seen quite a few shows at Park West, and it is a great venue. I had friends there in the '90s that got me in for free. I will get there, and I suggest that anyone who can try as well. Thumbs%20Up

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 19:44
He played on Black's "Comedy"? Awesome! I heartedly approve of this cat!

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 19:50
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

This is great and all but, only shows in Chicago?
They should tour.

They have not yet announced any of the details for KC Mk. VII.  In all likelihood, there will be somewhat small tours, most likely restricted to the U.S., which is where the band seems to prefer to do its gigging.  I see an album or two coming out of this and two or three tours, but that's just my groundless prediction. 

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 20:58
dude, Gavin, c'mon. KC is great, do some stuff with them but don't leave the tree.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 23:03
Wow.

A bit of a surprise. Though he should fit with KC's heaviness...if they still decide to travel down that road of course.

Should be good, definitely be interesting.

Although I would prefer if he'd stay with PT as well (as opposed to leaving them for KC).

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hamfari
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 23:25

No reason to think he´ll leave P.T. , I hear P.T. are taking most of 2008 as a year off so I guess there´s time for him to tour w. them.

Awesome news btw!

-------------
Nobody needs to go anywhere else. We are all, if we only knew it, already there.

Posted By: Dennis
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 01:58
Porcupine Tree has become an overwhelming, power packed band since Gavin Harrison joined. He seems to bring out the best in Steven Wilson and the rest of PT. Ive heard some recent live shows from the current tour, and PT has never sounded better. But GH in KC? A logical step IMHO. He has obviously earned the respect of Mr. Fripp and is certainly one of the best Prog drummers today. Wow, to join the ranks of Giles, Wallace, Bruford, Muir, etc. is quite an honor. I think this is great news, with fantastic possibilities. But I also truely love GH in PT. Most of us seem to muti-task these days, so why can't Gavin Harrison be in both PT and KC? Common sense, best of both worlds IMO.    

-------------
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 01:58
King Crimson is more unstable now then they ever were. This is probably very temporary anyway...the Crim can't be around that much longer.

Posted By: mrgd
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 02:35
Gavin Harrison is a seriously good drummer imo. You only have to watch the 'Arriving Somewhere....' DVD to appreciate that .[ Live performance is forever the best test ]. I also like his work with Jakko Jakszyk on 'The Bruised Romantic Glee Club' esp.

But he would leave a huge hole in the PT sound if he leaves . I appreciate that there are some other excellent drummers out there who could step up, but imo, he's the main factor that saves PT's sound from being to much the same. I believe his talents should take him beyond the PTs of this world and, in saying that, I do like what I've heard of PT. He's just destined for bigger and better things.

-------------
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 05:21
GH was good with the Nolan Sisters, I'm told...

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 07:03
i can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed. don't really see him sharing
duties with another drummer. not a good idea in my book.

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 08:11
He's got to go reharsing "Prince Rupert awakes" now....

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 08:31
My feeling is that it's just a side project and a great opportunity for Gavin.  Besides, he needs something to do while Wilson remasters "Lightbulb Sun!"

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 09:27
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

My feeling is that it's just a side project and a great opportunity for Gavin.  Besides, he needs something to do while Wilson remasters "Lightbulb Sun!"

And Recordings.

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 09:50

And Recordings.

Lightbulb Sun - yes.  Recordings he needs to leave alone.  IMO 20,000 were made and it needs to stay that way.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 11:09
There!  What did I say. I have a very well placed friend in the stinking music biz and he told me this a few weeks ago but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobody believed me !

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 11:36
Best news of the year...¿

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: N Ellingworth
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 11:49
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

And Recordings.

Lightbulb Sun - yes.  Recordings he needs to leave alone.  IMO 20,000 were made and it needs to stay that way.

Why should new fans of the band be unable to listen to the material on Recordings? I think that SW should remaster Recordings and release it so that it is obviously different to the original version thus keeping the collectors and real fans happy. Wink

Posted By: pelican
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 12:01
     Whoever posted about their friend in the music business, I saw your post a few weeks ago and I believed you. 
     I'm a little concerned because from what I've read KC is going to release an album in 2009 as a sort of 40th anniversary thing,so I'm thinking that GH will tour with them in 2009 if he is a member of their band.
     If PT is only taking a year off, and they are back in 2009, how can he do both?  But who knows.
     I am excited about the Chicago shows Clap, I live part of the time there and the Park West is where I saw PT for the first time.
     And Yes, SW, will you please hurry it along on lightbulb sun!!  I'm tired of waiting!

Posted By: Disconnect
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 12:27
Well this will stir up a bit more interest in their proposed reunion.  I wonder how Pat feels about this roster addition?  I can't imagine he will be happy to share drumming duties with Gavin after serving as KC's sole drummer for so long. 

I don't believe for a moment that Gavin will leave Porcupine Tree.   PT is obviously going to take a long break since they've been touring & recording nonstop for over a year.  This will be a nice way for Gavin to kill some time.

You have to wonder though - what is Fripp's reasoning behind this move?  It's not likely that KC will be releasing any new studio material in advance of this "40th anniversary" deal.  Why add a 2nd drummer?  

PT are a hot item right now.  Perhaps this is Fripp's way of trying to tie himself into that in some way.  Let's be honest.....Pat has done a fine job with KC.  I consider Gavin to be one of the best in the business right now (and a better player than Pat).  So this move looks like a big slap in Pat's face, IMO.

Posted By: jmcdaniel_ee
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 12:31
I wonder if Gavin has a hidden talent for writing lyrics that don't seem like mere afterthoughts?  (I know, I said the same thing when the Flower Kings' drummer was rumored to be joining KC. Ermm)

That's my 100th post!  I've made it to seniority!  Kneel before me groupies and newbies! Tongue

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 12:31
....and let's not forget this is King Crimson (read: Robert Fripp) that we're talking about.  Just because he is planning this stuff doesn't mean it will ever happen.  Someone could take a flash photograph of Fripp en route to their first rehearsal, causing Fripp to abandon the whole project and retreat to Deepest Dorset.

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 12:51
Well...I expected to read that "Adrian Belew left King Crimson to be a full time solo musician". For me, good news could be a Reunion of the original line-up, or a new line-up without Belew. So, I`m not interested to listen to this band with Belew. "More of the same".Sleepy

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by SuperHokie SuperHokie wrote:

....and let's not forget this is King Crimson (read: Robert Fripp) that we're talking about.  Just because he is planning this stuff doesn't mean it will ever happen.  Someone could take a flash photograph of Fripp en route to their first rehearsal, causing Fripp to abandon the whole project and retreat to Deepest Dorset.
Yeah I have to agree on that one. Maybe he will walk on stage next August and anounce " King Crimson is over for ever and ever and this time I really mean it or else my name`s not Rodney ".

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 14:02
I agree PT's sound might of gotten stale if it wasn't for Gavin. I hope again he doesn't leave PT for this.

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 14:03
PT's new on the official website is also updated usually once a week...maybe today is the day we hear somethin from Wilson?

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 15:20

I know a lot of people favor the early PT with Maitland on drums.....but for me, PT's truly innovative stuff began in 2002 when Gavin joined.  He is nearly as important to PT as Wilson in my opinion.  He truly drives the band, both in studio and live.  It would be a huge disappointment if he left PT for Crim.  Crim is/was great, but let's be honest....Crim has not truly lived up to its name since 1974.  The Crim lineups since 1974 are always an unstable experiment that teases you to the brink but never quite delivers on its full potential.

Posted By: TalmLikeABalm
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 16:44
This should be amazing.  

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 18:06
It would appear that Mastelotto will be doing more electric percussion and Harrison more traditional drumming. Who knows what this is going to sound like.

Posted By: Man Overboard
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:13
Gavin Harrison?  Are you kidding me?

When I heard the rumor about Zoltan, I was ecstatic, as it seemed like an amazing and logical fit.  I'd make the cross-country trip to Chicago to see that, but I may have to pass on this particular opportunity.  And honestly, it breaks my proggy heart to hear some of you say that Gavin "could do better".  King Crimson are the pinnacle that all should aspire to, and as mean-spirited as it may sound, it sort of makes sense that PT fans -would- underappreciate King Crimson.  -sigh-

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:18
Is this the best drummer Fripp could find? I'm dissappointed. KC have always been known for having more interesting drummers (Muir, Bruford, Mastelotto). I'm sure Fripp and the other guys will whip him into shape and teach him some tricks. Perhaps he's been holding back with the Tree and KC will reveal his true skills, but right now I kinda have my doubts.

I kinda hope Mastelotto stays in the band as well, but I also want him to stay in the Flower Kings. Cry

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:23
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Well...I expected to read that "Adrian Belew left King Crimson to be a full time solo musician". For me, good news could be a Reunion of the original line-up, or a new line-up without Belew. So, I`m not interested to listen to this band with Belew. "More of the same".Sleepy

The original lineup with Greg Lake? You couldn't pay me to see them perform with that fat miserable old b*****d.

I think they've done their best work with Belew. Fripp knows what he's doing, he wouldn't be around as long as he has if Fripp didn't feel he was good enough.  The new drummer isn't one I would have chosen, but I'm going to try to trust Fripp's judgement on this as well.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:38
I suspect most of the correspondents here are not aware of Gavin Harrision's excellent album released in the last two months, Drop, in collaboration with somebody calling himself 05ric: http://bp3.blogger.com/_fbuYL1Y4VSc/RwtpKLEiuFI/AAAAAAAACCI/VDoh-r2b2Kw/s1600-h/Drop.jpg">

http://www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric - http://www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric
Sid Smith's review: http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/gavin-harrison-05ric-drop.html - http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/gavin-harrison-05ric-drop.html
nor the number of books Harrison has published on music/rhythm:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gavin+harrison&Go.x=12&Go.y=10 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gavin+harrison&Go.x=12&Go.y=10

The presence of Robert Fripp on Drop and the polyrhythms conjured by Harrison, leave you in no doubt that Harrison can readily drop into KC

-------------
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:53
^ I agree with Dick. Stern%20Smile

Drop is a superb album and GH's placement in KC is a no-brainer really.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:56
Exactly. Harrison is a drummer's drummer, perfect for KC.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 09:21
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

When I heard the rumor about Zoltan, I was ecstatic, as it seemed like an amazing and logical fit.  I'd make the cross-country trip to Chicago to see that, but I may have to pass on this particular opportunity.  And honestly, it breaks my proggy heart to hear some of you say that Gavin "could do better".  King Crimson are the pinnacle that all should aspire to, and as mean-spirited as it may sound, it sort of makes sense that PT fans -would- underappreciate King Crimson.  -sigh-

I have been a hardcore King Crimson fan for many, many years - long before I ever discovered Porcupine Tree.  No one has more respect for Crim than I do.  At the same time, however, I am not one of these lickspittle fanboys who salivates over every crumb that falls from Robert Fripp's plate. 

I'll never question their power throughout their various 70s lineups, but no one can deny the spotiness of their early 80s work.  Some great stuff, yes.  But also some highly derivative material as well. 

Their 90s work, while powerful at times, has also been somewhat of a disappointment.  Their studio output has never achieved its full potential despite the quality of musicians involved.

KC will still blow you away live, no denying that.  They are one of only 3 bands out there that I will pay money to see live.  But talk of an upcoming studio recording makes me uncomfortable.   To say "King Crimson are the pinnacle that all should aspire to" is a bit puzzling to me.  The only 'pinnacle' Crim have been since 1974 is a pinnacle of underachievement.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 10:39
I`m presently listening to to this  O5ric on the myspace site. While the music as a whole doesn`t exite me that much, I can see how the guy can fit in with Crimson. I`m not too crazy about Porcupine Tree, but then again I wasn`t too crazy about Mister Mister and Pat has turned out pretty well. I`m sure Bob has put him through the Crimson acid test. Sounds suspiciously like Fripp at times on guitar on that second track  " Unsettled ". Sounds like a Chapman stick the other guy is playing

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:12
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Crossing my fingers that he doesn't leave the band, I suspect PT will take another hiatus so SW can work on other things. This might be the free time for KC to work with GH, or vice versa.

If this in fact marks the departure of GH from PT, it would be a tremendous loss to me. The drumming Harrison has provided since joining the band, I feel, can be matched by no other, in terms of creativity.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 13:38
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I`m presently listening to to this  O5ric on the myspace site. While the music as a whole doesn`t exite me that much, I can see how the guy can fit in with Crimson. I`m not too crazy about Porcupine Tree, but then again I wasn`t too crazy about Mister Mister and Pat has turned out pretty well. I`m sure Bob has put him through the Crimson acid test. Sounds suspiciously like Fripp at times on guitar on that second track  " Unsettled ". Sounds like a Chapman stick the other guy is playing

Unsettled, the first track on Drop and possibly the tune with the greatest range of dynamics, sounds like early 90's KC - less sure about the lyrics..............

According to Burning Shed Records website 05ric plays an "Extended Range Bass" (????):
http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/23/640/ - http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/23/640/

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 13:48
Only a complete ignoramus could readily dismiss Gavin Harrison's talents. He is "the" happening drummer in rock music, recently took the "best Prog drummer" title in Modern Drummer (against far more famous drummers from far more famous bands) and has released a couple of instructional DVDs that are highly rated.

Here's an idiot's guide to Gavin's credentials:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Gavin_Harrison.html - http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Gavin_Harrison.html

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 13:50

Speaking personally:

that's just about the most ignorant and silly post you've ever made and that's saying something. I suspect it was only made to have an effect, which makes it borderline trolling.

Grow up.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 13:51
I think that an admin should contact Tony R about his name calling. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

The original lineup with Greg Lake? You couldn't pay me to see them perform with that fat miserable old b*****d.

I think they've done their best work with Belew. Fripp knows what he's doing, he wouldn't be around as long as he has if Fripp didn't feel he was good enough.  The new drummer isn't one I would have chosen, but I'm going to try to trust Fripp's judgement on this as well.

I never have listened to Porcupine Tree or Gavin Harrison, so I`m not criticizing him or his band.

I respect your opinion, but for me, the best King Crimson period was 1969-1974. I bought  their "Beat" album in 1982, and I never liked it. Belew is a good singer, but I prefer the band with keyboards as when Ian McDonald played them, apart from the wind instruments. The first album of the band is their best, in my opinion. Greg Lake is a very good singer and bassist (despite the fact that his voice is not the same as years  ago), and Michael Giles is one of the best drummers in Prog Rock.

In my opinion, Fripp is a very smart (and with a very big Ego) person. I could call him "Mr. Marketing". Since he reformed the band in the eighties he has sold to their fans endless "projektcs", "previously unreleased live materials",  "new and definitive remasters", "New line-ups", etc. The band in the 1969-74 period had more quality in their music. When Belew joined, the band became more "experimental" and snob, noisy, etc. I don`t like the style of the Belew line-ups, so I`m not interested in this band since "Beat". I even couldn`t stand a King Crimson line-up with Fripp, Belew, Eno, Laurie Anderson, Patty Smith, Peter Hammill, and that kind of  musicians. So, this band is not interesting for my taste anymore.

Maybe a reunion with Wetton, Bruford and Cross could be also interesting. They played "Heavy Prog" and sometimes they were noisy, but I prefer them more than Belew in the band. Tony Levin is also a very good bassist, so I also don`t have nothing against him.

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 01:00
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Speaking personally:

that's just about the most ignorant and silly post you've ever made and that's saying something. I suspect it was only made to have an effect, which makes it borderline trolling.

Grow up.

So it's wrong for me to be appalled that hardcore PT-heads think Gavin is too good for KING CRIMSON of all bands?  Get out of town!

Edit:  I'll clarify.  I'm a huge Zoltan fan.  I'd go to Chicago to see him give a drum clinic, or to play with a random jazz trio.  I'm a pretty big King Crimson fan, and I was excited when it was -rumored- that Zoltan would join.  I was shocked to hear that Gavin was joining KC instead, because while he's an excellent drummer, I don't enjoy him nearly as much as Zoltan, and therefore wouldn't put things like the light bill aside to travel to Chicago to see him with KC.  Instead, I'd wait for them to come reasonably close, maybe 2-6 hours away.  Then, I comment on the people in this thread upset that Gavin is 'going downward' to play in KC.

This is trolling?  Do you have a vendetta against me?  You seriously need to evaluate your mode of thinking, because it's not cool for you to get all red-assed when I state a valid opinion.  Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 02:44
I don't see how they fit. Maybe if KC ever release their supposed album, we'll find out. Ouch

Back in the days when proggers release albums ever 1-1.5 years, a foul record is not that big of a deal, but in an era where a classic prog band might release an album ever 4 or 5 years, it better be spot on in whatever they're trying to do.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 04:31
Let's keep the discussion civil guys, everyone entitled to their opinion and all that. Even if you strongly disagree with them, respect their right to speak.

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 10:45
Let`s just wait until next August. What`s the point of criticizing something which hasn`t even happened yet ? When it was announced that Pat would be joining the band in `94 I only knew him as the the guy from Mister Mister and was a bit scared and thought that Bob had lost his marbles. But I soon discovered the guy was a big session man who had played with everyone under the sun which alleviated some of my worries. Nobody including Fripp are themselves when playing in Crimson.

Posted By: CaincelaOreinim
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 15:52
For the record Man Overboard, there's something screwy going on around here and it's not you...I think they just overreacted to some hyperbole...while Crimson might be your and perhaps my esteemed "pinnacle" for "progressive rock" there are countless musicians who wipe the floor with them...most jazz guys e.g...and as there are others who trump others; subjectivity, etc. etc.... 

It's really been eye-opening lately, here, and at progressiveears seeing just how many people prefer the old Crimson and clinging to the past as opposed to embracing change and letting go of their selfish preferences; the majority - musicians like Lake and Wetton who last I checked are in dire disrepair - seemingly holding no more bearing in the music world.  I've loved all Crimson's incarnations; however, I've always felt the ones with Belew are the most roundedly rewarding and vital - in more than one sense.  I'm curious to see the new developments...but I do feel this move is a tad redundant...if Fripp's going on a new "who have I worked with lately and found it at least remotely satisfying" M.O. perhaps adding Theo Travis to the mix could be interesting?  It could satisfy those harping for an aerophonist again too...although I think Fripp finds this addition to be too reminiscent?  Composition will tell in the long run either way...

For the record, Pat's also expressed joy in working with Harrison in a recent Vic Firth video interview...so they're probably not going to be butting heads at least not yet...I personally would like to see him have more of a role a la what KTU are doing second "drummer" wise: Pat on electronic pads, or maybe an entire kit's worth, supplying that side, Harrison the acoustic side. 

And as for whoever's singing on the new Harrison/05ric album...yeesh...

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 16:05

As good as Gavin Harrison is at drums, I hoped someone more fitting to King Crimson's style would join, but of course, its still better than no Crimson. They better hit up a lot of dates on their reunion tour Tongue

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 16:33

Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.
When I speak personally, I have no position.

Every time a member of PT is mentioned or the band itself, you seem to pop up and post something - usually something negative. I doubt you've ever posted in a thread that mentions PT or one of its members without mentioning TFK or one of its members. To the best of my knowledge comparing TFK and PT is like comparing apples and oranges.
I seem to recall that Steve Wilson once said something negative about TFK....is that the reason for all this?
Big%20smile

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:14

Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.
When I speak personally, I have no position.

Every time a member of PT is mentioned or the band itself, you seem to pop up and post something - usually something negative. I doubt you've ever posted in a thread that mentions PT or one of its members without mentioning TFK or one of its members. To the best of my knowledge comparing TFK and PT is like comparing apples and oranges.
I seem to recall that Steve Wilson once said something negative about TFK....is that the reason for all this?
Big%20smile

You're overthinking it.  This has to do with King Crimson and the previously rumored drummer. 

As for PT, I -personally- preferred their old direction, and felt they were declining before I'd even heard of TFK.  Tongue  I absolutely love Theo Travis's work, despite his PT connection, so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree. 

-------------

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:41
I rest my case..Wink

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:45

I rest my case..Wink

Tongue  Merely responding to your claim.

-------------

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

I suspect most of the correspondents here are not aware of Gavin Harrision's excellent album released in the last two months, Drop, in collaboration with somebody calling himself 05ric: http://bp3.blogger.com/_fbuYL1Y4VSc/RwtpKLEiuFI/AAAAAAAACCI/VDoh-r2b2Kw/s1600-h/Drop.jpg">

http://www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric - http://www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric

Sid Smith's review: http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/gavin-harrison-05ric-drop.html - http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/gavin-harrison-05ric-drop.html

nor the number of books Harrison has published on music/rhythm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gavin+harrison&Go.x=12&Go.y=10 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gavin+harrison&Go.x=12&Go.y=10

The presence of Robert Fripp on Drop and the polyrhythms conjured by Harrison, leave you in no doubt that Harrison can readily drop into KC

For what it's worth, I don't think this album is in the archives, and it should be, IMO.

Date Posted: November 26 2007 at 09:34
Well, I don`t know about that.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk