Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43632
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 21:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yngwie Malmsteen
Posted By: sircosick
Subject: Yngwie Malmsteen
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:21
This is a thread that I didn't dare to put on the "Suggest new bands" section...... because this thread is meant to value Yngwie's progressiveness.

First of all, I know I created a very similar thread; that one was an attempt to appreciate Malmsteen bashed stuff. But this thread is different; we're gonna discuss if Y. M. really deserves to be, at least, more mentioned on the archives. 'Cause I know there's a rule I did read somewhere: one prog album from a band/artist is enough for it to be added. I think that means no matter how prolific the artist could be. Please tell if I'm not mistaken about that statement.

Now, Malmsteen is certainly a very prolific musician. So, I think this debate will be (and so I'd like too) focused just on his first release: Rising Force. It's a hell of an album, prog or not....... Wait........ prog? Or not? Progressive metal? Prog related? Instead of making a simple poll, I decided to bring it to a free discuss to share the diversity of opinions. Personally I find quite prog metal hints on it....... Dunno what about you.

Wink
Wink

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Replies:
Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:24
He is one of the most inspirational figures of our time...especially for guitar players. He recieves a lot more bashing then he deserves...because most people say he sucks...but has a fact, hate all shredding guitarists. I thought he has done a few good things...but he repeated himself way too much to the point were it all sounds the same.

Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:28
^ That's why I consider only his first album worth enough to debate.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:49

I think that Jens Johanssen is a formiddable keyboardist as well.

The first album lists Barriemore Barlow as the drummer.  Isn't he the Jethro Tull drummer?   I would never have made a connection with Malmsteen and Jethro Tull; but then again JT did with a grammy for Heavy Metal album of the year.

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:52
^ Hahaha..... that's right...... As far as I'm concerned, there's no connection between that grammy and the fact that Barlow joined Rising Force.... he only was asked to join Yngwie's band, who, as you can see, creates a kinda "dream team" xD...... Jeff Scott Soto is also a very good vocalist (and I don't like metal-related singers!)

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 19 2007 at 16:54
the shredders (Malmsteen, George Bellas, Greg Howe, many others) don't seem to be of much interest here...  the first Rising Force album is most definitely progressive for its time

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 02:58
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

^ Hahaha..... that's right...... As far as I'm concerned, there's no connection between that grammy and the fact that Barlow joined Rising Force.... he only was asked to join Yngwie's band, who, as you can see, creates a kinda "dream team" xD...... Jeff Scott Soto is also a very good vocalist (and I don't like metal-related singers!)

Barrie wouldn't and didn't join the band - he didn't really like the experience of working with Yngwie, who was too much of a control freak. Barrie had had enough of control freaks working with Ian...

Listen to his drumming on that first album - you wouldn't think it was Barrie, as it's uninspired and mechanical.

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 05:28
^ In comparison to his work with J-Tull, it does sound mechanical. But as non prog, it would be hard to match his work in Rising Force IMO.

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 07:34
I haven't listened to any of his albums from the last 10 years and I'm not even sure how many he's put out since then but from the earlier stuff I enjoyed Odyssey the most which was full of great melodic songs.

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 06:15
I think Rising Force is Prog Related, although the guitar may be highly technical (not so much now, but at the time though), but the compositions in my mind did not, even for its time, incorporate enough progressive elements to be considered purely neo-classical prog metal.

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 12:53
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that Jens Johanssen is a formidable keyboardist as well.

Agreed, but it needed Jonas Hellborg to resue the Johansson brothers from YM - so the story goes - and give them some musically challenges. Just a major pity Jens is paying for his pension playing with Strativarius. However, there is hope with his appearance on Art Metal.

In the meanwhile YM's Inspirations is the only album that does  anything for me.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 16:49
If there are Black Sabbath, there should be Yngwie too.

Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:00
Originally posted by Aeternus Aeternus wrote:

AgreedClap i think that if Black Sabbath is in the prog related category, surely there should be Malsmsteen in there, because he did certainly inspire many bands to incorporate more progressive elements into their music.

-------------

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:50
I like shredding, but Malmsteen embodies what is wrong with metal to me

-------------

Date Posted: January 11 2008 at 01:29
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

I like shredding, but Malmsteen embodies what is wrong with metal to me

Which features in particular do you dislike about Malmsteen?

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: January 14 2008 at 14:41
"donut...?"    "YOU UNLEASHED THE ¤%#ING FURY! /ROAR! Angry"

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2008 at 16:08
LOL

ah, the infamous the Donut Affair

Date Posted: January 14 2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

AgreedClap i think that if Black Sabbath is in the prog related category, surely there should be Malsmsteen in there, because he did certainly inspire many bands to incorporate more progressive elements into their music.

Such as?

What Malmsteen really inspired was a new generation of sweep-pickers.

One single technique - that is all, as far as I can see, and one that was already perfected by the likes of Holdsworth, Zappa and Vai.

That he chose to sweep-pick using mainly Baroque Italian stylisations is interesting - but Blackmore et al had been incorporating quasi-Baroque styles for 2 decades of so before Yngwie.

Yngwie, specifically "Rising Force" was a kind of figurehead - one that was dropped pretty quickly when it was realised he was a bit of a one-trick pony.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2008 at 17:13
well yes, but he also pioneered several important if simple techniques which created 'effects' now often used, such as continuous right hand muting, picking *each* note at previously unheard of precision and speeds (not even Uli was doing this, the only one coming close being Di Meola but in a Fusion context), and a tonal matrix imitated frequently now

Posted By: Avantgardehead
Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 02:49
So a guy goes and uses a ton of classical scales and modes over and over and over... BUT AT REALLY FAST SPEEDS!!!!

Been there, done that, next!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 04:43
Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 05:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

the shredders (Malmsteen, George Bellas, Greg Howe, many others) don't seem to be of much interest here...  the first Rising Force album is most definitely progressive for its time

I think from the examples of Greg Howe last few releases his music is maturing. ClapHe seems to be one of the few shredders who has moved to jazz rock fusion, and does a pretty good job at it.

PS thanks for the reminder just discovered the following at Amazon.UK for less than a fiver - curious to hear what he does to RushTongue
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B00000IGG8/sr=8-8/qid=1200392399/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music&qid=1200392399&sr=8-8">Ascend

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 16:03

well yes, but he also pioneered several important if simple techniques which created 'effects' now often used, such as continuous right hand muting, picking *each* note at previously unheard of precision and speeds (not even Uli was doing this, the only one coming close being Di Meola but in a Fusion context), and a tonal matrix imitated frequently now

I look at what you wrote and what I wrote and see much the same thing...

I think Vai had the precision and speed thing too, and I seem to remember hearing recordings of Holdsworth that predate Malmsteen, in which Allan sweep picks extraordinarily precisely.

Not trying to belittle Yngwie's achievements and influence, rather trying to put it into a bit of perspective. What he achieved was in terms of technique - Blackmore had already emphasised the cycle of fifths compositional technique in a few pieces (rather than as an overall style) - and personally, I think that Roth/Schenker brought more to the foundation of later progressive metal in terms of overall playing and composition technique.

I have to admit that Yngwie's precision/speed combination was very impressive at the time, but it's not really prog rock - at least, no more Prog than the Scorps, Priest, Ozzy/Rhoades or Metallica.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 17:38
sure, prog or not isn't really important (PMT can figure that out)..  as for Vai, brilliant and innovative player but much of what he was doing was an extension of what had come before him in the likes of Zappa and teacher Satriani.. whereas Malmsteen developed an entirely new way of approaching metal guitar that Schenker, Uli and Holdsworth really hadn't ever focused on [not sweeps, but each note of a given 'scale'  played individualy in *sequence* with an up/down picking movement].. though I prefer Schenker and Uli's playing and they certainly had the initial tech impact on other players including Malmsteen (of this he makes no secret)

Date Posted: January 15 2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

PS thanks for the reminder just discovered the following at Amazon.UK for less than a fiver - curious to hear what he does to RushTongue
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B00000IGG8/sr=8-8/qid=1200392399/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music&qid=1200392399&sr=8-8">Ascend

pretty good 'La Villa' cover, nothing terribly new but a nice interpretation..  and a very good album

Date Posted: January 17 2008 at 07:55

sure, prog or not isn't really important (PMT can figure that out)..  as for Vai, brilliant and innovative player but much of what he was doing was an extension of what had come before him in the likes of Zappa and teacher Satriani.. whereas Malmsteen developed an entirely new way of approaching metal guitar that Schenker, Uli and Holdsworth really hadn't ever focused on [not sweeps, but each note of a given 'scale'  played individualy in *sequence* with an up/down picking movement].. though I prefer Schenker and Uli's playing and they certainly had the initial tech impact on other players including Malmsteen (of this he makes no secret)

er... when I said "sweep-picking", I actually meant "alternate picking"... Embarrassed

...and it's evident in the playing of the gentlemen I named - don't forget that Vai was using many of these techniques and more when he played with Zappa in the very early 1980s - well before "Rising Force". Listen to his playing on "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch", where Zappa has credited him with "Impossible Guitar".

There's also some amazing playing in a prototype of this style on "Skid", the debut album from Skid Row... I mean the UK band that formed around 1970, featuring a 17 year-old Gary Moore.

Sure, Yngwie brought spit and polish to the style, but I believe that all the techniques were in place before he popularised them - I don't think any of it was entirely new. It was a similar leap in style/technique to Eddie Van Halen before him.

As far as Prog or not - well, that's the whole point of this discussion, isn't it?

I'm not trying to knock what Yngwie achieved - I wouldn't have bought (or kept!) his first 3 albums if I didn't think there was something of merit in them - I merely think that he crystallised existing forms and techniques, bringing a new level of virtuosity to them - hence technical, as opposed to  something truly new/progressive.

I'd compare what Malmsteen achieved to Paganini (except that no-one has ever played the violin as fast as Paganini - all interpretations of his music I've ever heard have struggled, apart from Lloyd Webber's rather relaxed composition). However, despite the astonishing speed of Paganini's violin solos, the compositions break no new musical ground, and compare very poorly to, for example, Beethoven or Debussy.

That said, Paganini remains a landmark in solo violin playing, taking the virtuosity of the Italian masters - including the grand master, Tartini, to the next level.

I'd be interested in what, exactly, Malmsteen did that was so new.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 11:49
^Well, many argue he brought a new way of composing into the rock/heavy metal idiom. As for his technique, his use of diminished and major/minor arpeggios that linked longways (as opposed to from just lower to higher strings or vice versa) across the fretboard gave a new perspective of what would become possible with the sweep-picking technique. Jason Becker, Marty Friedman and Frank Gambale are some of the most prominent sweep pickers to have come on the scene later in the 80s, that had a bit impact on the evolution of sweep-picking.

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 18:12
I know you respect him Cert, I'm just bickering Wink   ...he didn't really bring anything 'new' by a strict definition, it's true-- Eddie and the others mentioned were much more revolutionary, but I guess Yngwie was evolutionary, the form brought to its very height..   in fact in metal guitar few if any newer players have surpassed Malmsteen technically 

Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 22:35
While certainly Malmsteen is still regarded as a highly technical, as a fan of not just Prog rock/metal, but also Heavy Metal in general, i can easily say there are more than just "a few" newer players that have surpassed Malmsteen's technicality. I could in fact probably name a list that is longer than my arm, but I'll just list some of the more well known Metal guitarist virtuosos that have exceeded Malmsteen's technical skill. Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, with not only insane lead chops, but incredible heavy metal rhythm guitar prowess and one of most accurate and precise 7 string virtuosos live. Jasun Tipton, of Prog metal band Zero Hour fame (listed on Progarchive.com as wellThumbs%20Up), another 7 string virtuoso, with absolutely insane sweep picking chops, as well as awesome rhythm guitar capabilities. Rusty Cooley of Outworld fame, a 7 and 8 string virtuoso, with chops superior to Malmsteen's in sweep-picking, alternate picking, two hand tapping, legato and even rhythm guitar ability as well.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 22:50
I believe that if Yngwie Malmsteen should be included it should be in Propg Metal, anywhere else is silly, he's bassically a neo Classical Metal Guitar player, so if he goes anywhere is in Prog Metal.

Prog Related is not the place for the rejeted artists of any sub-genre, so if Prog Metal doesn't want him, he shouldn't be added anywhere else because it would be misleading, we have already three Prog Metal sub-genres, so if he doesn't fit in any one despite his 100% Metal background, he doesn't belong in Prog Archives.

And again The if Sabbath why not Malmsteen argument was, is and will be flawed, any artist inclusion is decided by his own merits, not by comparison.

BTW: His technicality, skills, greatness or how much anybody can like his first album, is not a valid argument for inclusion.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 23:24
well as usual.... I'm going to disagree with Ivan yet again...

he is not a 'prog metal' arist....  I think most people can see that.. he doesn't fit what I come to find what prog metal is about in my explorations and following what that team does... and prog related is actually a good damn good fit for him.

The Prog Metal team should have a say. .. first dibs if you will..... if they reject ..(as I'm sure they probably will.. christ.. if Metaliica didn't fit PM.. will Malmsteen hahaha)  then I'll submit this to the admin team for a vote.  He like some other artists here.. is a  long overdue addition here....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 23:46

Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, with not only insane lead chops, but incredible heavy metal rhythm guitar prowess and one of most accurate and precise 7 string virtuosos live. Jasun Tipton, of Prog metal band Zero Hour fame (listed on Progarchive.com as wellThumbs%20Up), another 7 string virtuoso, with absolutely insane sweep picking chops, as well as awesome rhythm guitar capabilities. Rusty Cooley of Outworld fame, a 7 and 8 string virtuoso, with chops superior to Malmsteen's in sweep-picking, alternate picking, two hand tapping, legato and even rhythm guitar ability as well.

I don't doubt it, but did they bring something as new to the table as Malmsteen did?  Or is much of it piled upon every metal guitarist before them   ..what Yngwie did was as new to rock guitar as Eddie and Randy Rhoads had been  ..it's impact we're really talking here, on top of technical innovations

Date Posted: January 18 2008 at 23:53

Jeff Loomis from Nevermore, with not only insane lead chops, but incredible heavy metal rhythm guitar prowess and one of most accurate and precise 7 string virtuosos live. Jasun Tipton, of Prog metal band Zero Hour fame (listed on Progarchive.com as wellThumbs%20Up), another 7 string virtuoso, with absolutely insane sweep picking chops, as well as awesome rhythm guitar capabilities. Rusty Cooley of Outworld fame, a 7 and 8 string virtuoso, with chops superior to Malmsteen's in sweep-picking, alternate picking, two hand tapping, legato and even rhythm guitar ability as well.

I don't doubt it, but did they bring something as new to the table as Malmsteen did?  Or is much of it piled upon every metal guitarist before them   ..what Yngwie did was as new to rock guitar as Eddie and Randy Rhoads had been  ..it's impact we're really talking here, on top of technical innovations

very well said David Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 00:28

In first´place I will keep my opinion because I'm not sure if Malmsteen should be here but just have a question:

1. Is bringing something new to music?
  2. Being better than most or every METAL guitarist?
  3. Doing something new in Rock?
  4. Having impact?

Being Prog or Prog Related?

You have said it, what Yngwie did is as new as what Eddie Van Halen did.....But is Eddie Van Halen here or should be just because he has a great technique and a lot of fans?

Yes many people consider Malmsteen the peak of the crop in Metal guitar players...But is this Prog or Prog Related?

I still believe Prog Related is not a priority here, there are more pages about Prog Related bands than about real Prog bands, there are lots of Collaborators silently working hard on Prog bands (for weeks, months and even years) but when a determined team informs about the additios and inprovements of the PROGRESSIVE ROCK GENRES, nobody gives a damn, it's frustrating to see how this threads vanish after two or three replies of the same members.

On the other hand it's enough to say Toto, Boston or Malmsteen to have a lot of responses, that's why the forum is becoming more boring and lack of interest lately.

People complained when Art Rock became the dumping place for bands  that where not accepted by other genres (at least then this bands were 100% Prog), but now we are using Prog Related as dumping ground for popular rejected bands.

"Hey, X band was rejected by Z Team.....Don't worry, we always have the back door called Prog Related"

I don't ask to leave Prog Related outside, but is not Progressive Rock our first priority?

My two cents.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 00:31
yes Ivan, you're quite correct   ..no worries, I just felt like debating it

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 00:40
I think that Yngwie Malmsteen should not be in Prog-Metal.

He's a master. He has done a lot for the instrument. For GUITAR playing.

What we're not about INSTRUMENTS. This is not prog-guitar-archives.com. We're about the whole thing. The music. And the music is heavy metal, heavy power virtuosic symphonic bombastic whatever grandiose term metal. The structures are typical, the songs are typical, it's the PLAYING that is superb. But, again, this is not Instrument-archives.com

I think for his influence he should be considered (CONSIDERED) fr Prog Related.

As Micky said, if Metallica is not here (why I still don't know.. oH, wait! It's the name...), Malsteen can't really fit. I know, that's a weak argument, but an argument nevertheless.

As for prog-metal, there are groups out there that should deserve a consideration EVEN for prog-related before Malsteen (Mercyful Fate, to name a relatively popular one).

I don't run the website. I understand why some say prog-related shouldn't even be discussed. I say: Malsteem could work as prog-related (he HAS influenced the playing of xillions of guitarist in the prog-metal world) but his MUSIC is not progressive-metal.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 00:53
I don't understand why people want Metallica here. In their heyday they were thrash metal with neo-classical guitar solos and that's about it. In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to put a band here just because their solos sounded progressive...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:03
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I think that Yngwie Malmsteen should not be in Prog-Metal.

He's a master. He has done a lot for the instrument. For GUITAR playing.

What we're not about INSTRUMENTS. This is not prog-guitar-archives.com. We're about the whole thing. The music. And the music is heavy metal, heavy power virtuosic symphonic bombastic whatever grandiose term metal. The structures are typical, the songs are typical, it's the PLAYING that is superb. But, again, this is not Instrument-archives.com

I think for his influence he should be considered (CONSIDERED) fr Prog Related.

As Micky said, if Metallica is not here (why I still don't know.. oH, wait! It's the name...), Malsteen can't really fit. I know, that's a weak argument, but an argument nevertheless.

As for prog-metal, there are groups out there that should deserve a consideration EVEN for prog-related before Malsteen (Mercyful Fate, to name a relatively popular one).

I don't run the website. I understand why some say prog-related shouldn't even be discussed. I say: Malsteem could work as prog-related (he HAS influenced the playing of xillions of guitarist in the prog-metal world) but his MUSIC is not progressive-metal.

I'm glad you're addressing that, cause there are many virtuosos and shred-meisters that could be considered progressive, but you guys have to have some parameters and I respect that

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:12
exactly Teo, I didn't see him as Prog Metal earlier.. not as you have defined it at least...  but could be considered prog enough to merit finding a place for him. Malmsteen.. in mixing guitar virtuosity.. metal if you want to call it that.. and classical influences.... wait.... a decade earlier.. didn't doing about the same get you called 'prog'..  what changed running up to 1984.  It isn't PM ...again.. I think most would agree. However he might be  close enough to prog perhaps to be.. .as I said.. a great addtion to PR...  

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:19
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

I don't understand why people want Metallica here. In their heyday they were thrash metal with neo-classical guitar solos and that's about it. In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to put a band here just because their solos sounded progressive...

It's obvious that, while you surely know your avant-garde, your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica.

But that's another discussion for another thread which is innecessary as the owners don't want them here.

As for Yngwie, I would support an addition in Prog-related. I think he has enough merits. But guitar virtuosiy alone is not a factor for prog-metal (if it was, let's bring all the Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Helloween, etc to PA... and believe me, I like some of them, but this is not speedy-fingers-archives.com or shreddingarchives.com...)

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:23

In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to put a band here just because their solos sounded progressive...

GOOD POINT AVANTGARDEHEAD.  ClapClapClap

Neo Classical solos is not Prog necessarilly, there have to be many other things more, hey lets add Walter Murphy because he performed a Disco version of Beethoven's Fifth!!

Yngwie Malmsteen added some NEO CLASSICAL SOLOS, but the structure is just Metal, not more, not less.

A Prog band or composition has to consider the whole stucture, not just a couple of solos artificially added over a 100% Metal structure.

In other words Malmsteen adds a Bach solo while the rest of the band is backuping him with 100% metal paraphernalia that has very little or absolutely no relation with the solo

Yngwie blends nothing, that solo could be added almost over any genre.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:23

. But guitar virtuosiy alone is not a factor for prog-metal (if it was, let's bring all the Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Helloween, etc to PA... and believe me, I like some of them, but this is not speedy-fingers-archives.com or shreddingarchives.com...)

exactly.. it is his impact, his importance, as David said.. that is what sets him above others and make him a worthy addition here.. and keeps others from being considered ... we'd hate to become shreddingarchives.com hahahhah

good one Teo...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:27
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Neo Classical solos is not Prog necessarilly, there have to be many other things more, hey lets add Walter Murphy because he performed a Disco version of Beethoven's Fifth!!

Yngwie Malmsteen added some NEO CLASSICAL SOLOS, but the structure is just Metal, not more, not less.

A Prog band or composition has to consider the whole stucture, not just a couple of solos artificially added over a 100% Metal structure.

In other words Malmsteen adds a Bach solo while the rest of the band is backuping him with 100% metal paraphernalia that has very little or absolutely no relation with the solo

Iv�n

Avantgardehead's point was about METALLICA... not about Malmsteen....

Even though, as absurd as it sounds, that point doesn't work for the intended target (metallica) but WORKS for Malmsteen, as he's the one with classical solos and metal versions of classical...

I think the point about the solos has been made. Prog-metal would never add Malmsteen... I speak for myself... 1/3 of the team disagrees, and I guess everybody will disagree with his inclusion in PM....

About prog-related, that's another matter... One that could be discussed when time allows for it...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:36

Avantgardehead's point was about METALLICA... not about Malmsteen....

Yes I know T, that's why I deleted the Metallica references, even when I'm not sure about Metallica either.

Even though, as absurd as it sounds, that point doesn't work for the intended target (metallica) but WORKS for Malmsteen, as he's the one with classical solos and metal versions of classical...

That's my point, Yngwie solos are artificial, he could add them over Classic Rock, Jazz, Doisco or even Salsa, but there's no blending of genres, while the band plays 100% straight Metal, he plays artificial solos.

I think the point about the solos has been made. Prog-metal would never add Malmsteen... I speak for myself... 1/3 of the team disagrees, and I guess everybody will disagree with his inclusion in PM....

I knew from the start Malmsteen would not be accepted by Prog Metal.

About prog-related, that's another matter... One that could be discussed when time allows for it...

Then we are turning Prog Related in a dumping ground for non Prog bands, with no Prog relation just because they are popular.

If Malmsteen is related with something is with Neo Classical, and Neo Classical is not Prog necesarilly.

The day he writes a coherent album where he fluently blends Metal and Classical as a whole integral work, then he could have a place in Prog Related or who knows, if the change is radical, maybe even Prog Metal.

But that day hasn't come yet, while his bands plays Metal, pure Metal and nothing but Metal, he adds a couple of Neo Classical solos, that's not making a fusion or a merge, just adding a Baroque topping to his Metal tracks.

Cheers

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:41
Not a bad point at all...

I guess Prog-related is, sadly but really, a sort of "popular-bands-that-quite-didn't-make-it" genre... But I don't make a big deal about it.. After all, it's just a fraction of the whole site...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:41

Prog-metal would never add Malmsteen... I speak for myself... 1/3 of the team disagrees, and I guess everybody will disagree with his inclusion in PM....

what decision here is agreed upon by everyone...  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:42

In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to put a band here just because their solos sounded progressive...

Yngwie blends nothing, that solo could be added almost over any genre.

Iv�n

well not quite, Ivan, his first three albums (at least) compositionally progressed classical metal *far* beyond Blackmore and Gary Moore (both of whom appear on PA in various forms), Roth or Schenker...  but it's up to others whether he actually ever appears here and it doesn't really concern me either way

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:43

Not a bad point at all...

I guess Prog-related is, sadly but really, a sort of "popular-bands-that-quite-didn't-make-it" genre... But I don't make a big deal about it.. After all, it's just a fraction of the whole site...

exactly it isn't a big deal.... it's not like anyone wastes time with it... when was the last major addition to it... Sabbath.. and that was an owner decision.. not pushed by our collabs.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:47

well not quite, Ivan, his first three albums (at least) compositionally progressed classical metal *far* beyond Blackmore and Gary Moore (both of whom appear on PA in various forms), Roth or Schenker...  but it's up to others whether he actually ever appears here and it doesn't really concern me either way

word brother David.. and my point....  a decade before.. that kind of merging would be considered prog.. without a doubt..

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:47

It's obvious that, while you surely know your avant-garde, your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica.

Oh yes, I really don't know anything about progressive metal. Not at all. And I was just guessing about Metallica having neo-classical solos. In fact, I didn't even know they had neo-classical solos because I've never listened to them in my entire life. Please, oh Master of Progressive Metal, teach me about this incredible music that I've never heard because I need to expand my concept therein.

LOL

Give me a break, I don't care who you think you are, but you have no right to tell me what I do and do not know. Do you know me? Obviously not, so just back away and go feel superior somewhere else, son.

And also, upon second thought, I guess the neo-classical solo part does apply to both artists. Unintentionally hilarious! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 01:54

Oh yes, I really don't know anything about progressive metal. Not at all. And I was just guessing about Metallica having neo-classical solos. In fact, I didn't even know they had neo-classical solos because I've never listened to them in my entire life. Please, oh Master of Progressive Metal, teach me about this incredible music that I've never heard because I need to expand my concept therein.

LOL

Give me a break, I don't care who you think you are, but you have no right to tell me what I do and do not know. Do you know me? Obviously not, so just back away and go feel superior somewhere else, son.

And also, upon second thought, I guess the neo-classical solo part does apply to both artists. Unintentionally hilarious! LOL

ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap

Avant-garde indeed...

By the way: "your concept of progressive-metal is limited... and also, that you haven't heard Metallica".....Where do I express my superiority? But your description of Metallica was SO exquisite, that it was very easy to infer that, while a true avantgarde-head, you're not a metal-head... or a prog-metal head which demands, as any prog-fan, an open mind...

What the hell there are more clappies for you....ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Calm down... nobody calls you anything... relax...enjoy your stay at PA. It IS possible to have a discussion with you... so let's keep it musical... don't feel offended or something when there was no intent to do it...  

I'd go even further... Sorry if you thought I was acting "superior"... But about the Metallica thing, let's soon have a discussion so that you can understand what I said.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

word brother David.. and my point....  a decade before.. that kind of merging would be considered prog.. without a doubt..

So...Why not add Vanessa Mae?

She's a Classically trained violin player, at the age of 10 played with London's Philharmonia Orchestra. she was the youngest violinist ever to record the Tchaikovsky and Beethoven violin concertos, made a world tour with the London Mozart Players during the Mozart bicentennial year.

In her albums with her Rock band Red Hot she plays music of:
  1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.
And she evens looks nicer than Malmsteen with her mini skirts Wink....But nobody would dream in adding her to Prog Archives, despite she really blends the music because Red Hot plays along with her but the problem is that her music is POP with Classical..

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classical while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:06

Calm down... nobody calls you anything... relax...enjoy your stay at PA. It IS possible to have a discussion with you... so let's keep it musical... don't feel offended or something when there was no intent to do it...

Offended? This is hilarious! Gives me something to do!

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:10
alright... we can cool the testosterone here...  take it outside and lets stay on Malmsteen.  

-------------

She's a Classically trained violin player, at the age of 10 played with London's Philharmonia Orchestra. she was the youngest violinist ever to record the Tchaikovsky and Beethoven violin concertos, made a world tour with the London Mozart Players during the Mozart bicentennial year.

1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.
And she evens looks nicer than Malmsteen with her mini skirts Wink....But nobody would dream in adding her to Prog Archives, despite she really blends the music because Red Hot plays along with her but the problem is that her music is POP with Classical..

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classixcal while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here IMO.

Iv�n

LOL  yes.. Vanessa Mae for PA !

Malmsteen is hilarious, but annoying. And fat, very very fat...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:13
oh he's a dope, from what I've seen

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:13

I'd go even further... Sorry if you thought I was acting "superior"... But about the Metallica thing, let's soon have a discussion so that you can understand what I said.

Care to read my avantgarde friend?

Don't erase your HD though... you don't want ME to be the reason of future pain...

So now that we're both open minded, we can, someday, discuss other matters... Now let's leave it here...

And for the rest, I repeat my opinion: Malsmteen does NOT belong in prog-metal... He has never been even considered as I can see in the chart, but he could be added just to have a sure vote of the other members...

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:14

1. Bach
  2. Vivaldi
  3. Paganini
  4. Beethoven
  5. Bruch
  6. Brahms
  7. Pucini
  8. Ravel
  9. Etc.

Merging Classical with Rock is not necesarilly Prog, Vanessa Mae plays Pop with Classixcal while Malmsteen plays Metsal with Classical solos, none of them should be here IMO.

Iv�n

LOL  yes.. Vanessa Mae for PA !

why not.. after Malmsteen hahahhah

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:15
Why not add Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson next, that way we could have all the G3 guys (that I know of).

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:16

oh he's a dope, from what I've seen

hhahhaha yeah.. .but he could unleash the f**king fury LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:21
The time has come for Richard Clayderman....

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:30
who'd of thought a donut could've thrown the metal world into a tailspin

Posted By: SolariS
Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

"donut...?"    "YOU UNLEASHED THE �%#ING FURY! /ROAR! Angry"

ahahah!

i saw malmsteen in concert a while back...not because i like his music but because i find him entertaining.

before the show, the opening band was finishing up their last song. apparently they had gone over their time limit or something, because yngwie walked right up to the soundboard and turned them off in the middle of the song. then he proceeded to blast classical music for the next HOUR AND A HALF before coming on stage. at that point i lost whatever little respect for him i had ever managed to find.

personally i find his music extremely boring. he has skill, but ripping through arpeggio after arpeggio is not good guitar solo writing. and just because he wears puffy shirts does not mean he's progressive. his type of music might have been innovative but it's a dead end. you can't shred arpeggios to much faster than that and there's really nowhere to build off of it. though he may have been influential, i think his own arrogance really shows in his music and his boring "all eyes on me" approach to guitar.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 16:38
He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 17:24

He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*

and you all still doubt he is prog LOL

-------------

Posted By: staunchally
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:59
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Such as?

What Malmsteen really inspired was a new generation of sweep-pickers.

One single technique - that is all, as far as I can see, and one that was already perfected by the likes of Holdsworth, Zappa and Vai.

That he chose to sweep-pick using mainly Baroque Italian stylisations is interesting - but Blackmore et al had been incorporating quasi-Baroque styles for 2 decades of so before Yngwie.

Yngwie, specifically "Rising Force" was a kind of figurehead - one that was dropped pretty quickly when it was realised he was a bit of a one-trick pony.

Yngwie is not Mr. Versatility but he has done more than sweep pick. He does have a formidable picking technique. I've never heard Holdsworth or Zappa sweep pick, and Vai was a contemporary of Yngwie and didn't "sweep" before him. I don't know if you were suggesting he was or not.

Posted By: staunchally
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 14:08
I've just read all the posts and it looks like my response has already been covered. Sorry to be redundant. But I'd like to add that Holdsworth doesn't alternate pick (he could lose his right hand and still be a virtuoso). TongueThat's not a criticism, Holdsy's my favorite. Zappa, as a guitarist is not comparable to any "shredder" or virtuoso. I love Frank but he is not a "technical" player. Vai is mostly legato, Yngwie's alternate picking technique is far superior. I don't mean to come off as a nitpicker, I like all of these players for their strengths. Just responding to the earlier post.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk