Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43682
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 03:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Peter Gabriel - Ian Anderson
Posted By: fighting sleep
Subject: Peter Gabriel - Ian Anderson
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 00:42
We all know em' and love em (or maybe not, I dunno); Peter Gabriel and his quick changes and quirky narrations! Ian Anderson with his "Act like you've escaped from an asylum" routine!

Which one is your favorite, taking into account their song-writing skills, vocal abilities, stage personas, and flute-playing?

My favorite is Gabriel. And if I were to name any specific reasons, they would be 1) "All your hearts now seem so faaar from me" (from Musical Box),  2) I prefer his voice to Ian's, 3) Harold the Barrel. That's all.

NOTE: I COMPLETELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE PREVIOUS MISTAKE! JON ANDERSON IS THE SPHINCTER SINGER OF THE IMMORTAL "YES", BUT NOT A FLAUTIST, OBVIOUSLY. I MEANT "IAN ANDERSON", FRONTMAN OF THE IMMORTAL "JETHRO TULL"

ONCE AGAIN, MANY APOLOGIES

Replies:
Posted By: 3.1415926535897
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:17
I go with Peter Gabriel. I love all of his different costumes and personas, which add a totally new dimension to the music, plus I just like his vocals and song-writing better (there's no accounting for taste!). I will admit that Ian is a better flute-player!

-------------
Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened - Winston Churchill

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:29
...Is this a trap?

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:39
more like 'is this a joke?' with three votes for Gabriel as favorite flautist/singer??  gimme a break people

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:40
Hey now, Pete is a really good singer. And I bet he plays the flute about a million times better than Jon.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:44

I don't remeber Jon Anderson ever playing flute.

But as far as vocalist/tambourineists, I highly prefer Jon Anderson.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:47
Nah, for vocalists/tamborinists, gotta go with Roger Chapman.

-------------

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 01:54
For me this is a close poll  .. very close indeed

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 02:03
Jon does shake a mean tambo, but I go with Robert Plant for tamborinist/vocalist... plus no one blew the harp like Planty  EmbarrassedLOL

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 02:05
The Gabe beats Ian Anderson out in everything except flute playing ability.   The Gabe beats Jon Anderson out in everything.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 02:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Jon does shake a mean tambo, but I go with Robert Plant for tamborinist/vocalist... plus no one blew the harp like Planty  EmbarrassedLOL

Jon Anderson never blew the harp, but he plays the hell outta the harp on "Awaken".

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 02:15
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

The Gabe beats Ian Anderson out in everything except flute playing ability.   The Gabe beats Jon Anderson out in everything.

How about rockin'? Huh? Is Gabey more metal than Ian? Did Pete write anything as irritatingly awesome as that radio metal hit "Steel Monkey?" I think naught.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 02:32

And Ian Anderson doesn't have a speech impediment.

"Creatures shaped this planets SOIANAAAAA!"
"I better activate my PRAYA CAPSHOOLA!"

-------------

Posted By: BiGi
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 03:12
Wait...do you mean IAN or JON Anderson???
In the former case, the choice is VERY hard...they both rank very high among my favourite singers, and their flute playing, albeit very different, is very emotional.

In the latter, Peter Gabriel is no match!

-------------
A flower?

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 03:23
Gabriel when he used to play flute and simphonic rock with Genesis. But as a whole
career, Anderson ( any ). Gabriel solo works leave me cold.  

Posted By: -Gil
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 03:32
The two are a bad singers it this clear. But If I have to choose between the two I prefer Gabriel because he has major control of the voice.
Peace people

Posted By: fighting sleep
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 04:28
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

you do realise that this poll doesn't make sense ? the idea behind it was good but the names getting confused has no doubt ruined everything
i can already see this...hold on...

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 04:58
IAN!

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: archivep
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 05:12
Gabriel is one of the biggest artist in modern music history.

Posted By: Negru Voda
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 07:59
Ian Anderson. I just like his voice more.

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:06
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

IAN!

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by archivep archivep wrote:

Gabriel is one of the biggest artist in modern music history.

BTW, Ian Anderson too.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Darklord55
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:18
Imho, Ian by a mile.  It's that time of year to dig out the Jethro Tull Christmas album.  "Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow".  Love it!  Evil%20Smile

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:21
Peter Gabriel.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 08:29
Despite the poll results so far, this questions answers itself.  Peter dabbled in flute but Ian's been constantly using it.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Fassbinder
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 10:05
Stage appearance -- I can't say much since the nowadays Ian Anderson is not the same Anderson from the 70's, plus I only saw some videos on youtube... Both are pretty irritating when seen (not heard)... Gabriel is more irritating.

Flute playing -- not too much material for comparison. Ian Anderson played much more. And much better, in my opinion.

Singing -- again, speaking of 70's singing, what can be heard on discs... Peter Gabriel has very unpleasant voice and manner of singing. Ian Anderson had a wonderful voice.

My choice is very easy.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 10:41
Gabriel is, like Andy Latimer, a beautiful melodic flautist but a bit limited. Anderson is much better technically - not the very best, but still excellent. Vocals wise, Gabriel edges it for me, but not enough to win. So Ian Anderson it is.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 10:45
Gabriel's by far, I actually think Anderson's voice is quite annoying. Definitely the weak point of Yes.

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:01

I actually like both vocal styles.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:20
Originally posted by cynthiasmallet cynthiasmallet wrote:

Gabriel's by far, I actually think Anderson's voice is quite annoying. Definitely the weak point of Yes.

Fail!

Ian Anderson sings for Jethro Tull!

FAIL!

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:45
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Fail!

Ian Anderson sings for Jethro Tull!

FAIL!

He thought he was being asked about Jon Wink

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:49
Oops, misread, though it was Jon . In which case, both are good, but I still prefer Gabriel.

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:55
Ian Anderson better by a mile.

Better Flautist...is there even a contest?
Better stage presence..this can be argued, but he was humorous and Gabriel was just...Gabriel.
I do prefer Gabriel's voice
Anderson created one of the best epics ever recorded.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 11:58
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

...And Gabriel didn't?

-------------

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 12:03
Gabriel no question

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 12:25
Those Andersons are all alike, I don't think you can tell them apart.

-------------

Posted By: Anderson III
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 12:47
Anderson all the way! I've never been a fan of Gabriel's singing... come to think of it: I don't think he's above mediocre with his flute neither. Anderson has got a very distinctive style to his playing. It's really weird and quirky, but unique and innovative. I like his singing too.

Gabriel is extremely good on stage! Probably the most adventurous performer in rock-history. Anderson is the greatest! No amount of costume changes and effects can beat good old fashioned charisma.

-------------
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 12:49
Didnt mean to fail you too bad!

Anyways, if were talking about vocal range and skill, there is no comparison, Ian destroys Gabriel. Songwriting skills is a different story.

I'll vit Ian just cause!

-------------

Posted By: progcabaretdoll
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 15:06

The Gabe beats Ian Anderson out in everything except flute playing ability. 

You're quite right ...

but I don't think flute-playing Ian would look better than flute-playing Gabby (pre-obscene costumes/ persona). LOL

Posted By: paloz
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 16:00
I would vote Anderson only for Thick as a brick and some other tracks. Gabriel has Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England on his shoulders. And he's my vote..

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:38

...And Gabriel didn't?

No.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:39

...And Gabriel didn't?

No.

Surely your not suggesting that Supper's Ready is an inferior piece of music?

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:42
Well it is inferiour to Thick as a Brick... something like the Mont Blanc is inferior to the Everest.

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:43
^ Andu sums up my thoughts again.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:44
Quit stalking me Stern%20SmileWink

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:45
No.

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 17:49
Refusal to desist from stalkery, what would the admin group say?

-------------

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 18:39
Guess...... Ian Anderson ;)

As flautists, there's obviously no contest; and as singers, I've to go with personal preferences, and I barely stand Gabriel's voice and style of singing.

Then, uncle Ian by gazillion miles Big%20smile

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 18:43
simply a matter of taste... Ian Big%20smile

Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 20:37

...And Gabriel didn't?

No.

Surely your not suggesting that Supper's Ready is an inferior piece of music?

haha. No I like it, but it's very hard for me to call Supper's Ready one song. It really is a collection thrown in were Thick As A Brick flows throughout. It's one a whole 'nother level for me.

Posted By: proglil49
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 20:58
Peter Gabriel, for his weird costumes on stage during his shows with Genesis. "A Flower"!!!

-------------
I want to be an astronaut

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: November 21 2007 at 21:29
A flower????

??????

(BTW, I love Ian Anderson as well)

Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 03:37
Oh, well, here we go now...and I think my answer should be obvious:

By the way, "Supper" is INDEED inferior to "Thick" simply because "Thick contains better musicianship, more memorable parts, and contains no weak sections, compared to "Supper's" ONE weak section (and, yes, I know. I'm mean. But facts is facts).

-------------

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 03:57
I watched genesis live the 16mm film and I wasn't very impressed Gabriel is not a good flute player and he shouts too much! As far as his costumes go I see this as a reflection of his bi polar personalty more so than an artistic expression.  I believe those costume changes were not necessary and probably got in the way for the rest of the band.  Ian Anderson also has faults his ramblings and long winded aqualung persona he portrayed in the 70's the beards the tights the silly hats all got a bit much "see you again sometime heyyyyyyyy"  but his flute playing and vocals were always great live  ...  Anderson gets the vote .   Wink

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 04:36

Ian Anderson is a mediocre, but competent, flautist.  The Gabe doesn't measure up to that standard.  On the other hand, Gabriel's talents as a vocallist are rather underrated.  Listen closely to some of the things he's done and you'll appreciate how versatile he is, or listen to his first solo album, where he stretches himself to a considerable extent.   Regarding his musical concepts, I'll give him the nod as well.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 12:37
Anderson, simply because his flute's better.

Posted By: sbooth
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 21:43
Peter Gabriel had a marginally better voice, although, lets face it, he wasn't really in the same league as Ian when it comes to flute skills. ian is in my opinion better.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 23:42
Lets see:

1. Their vocal ranges have almost the sanme linitations witth the high tones.
  2. Both are amazing frontmen.
  3. Both were leaders of two of the most iconic Prog bands.

Both seem similar at this point, but the difference is that peter Gabbriel can surpise me much more than Ian, Peter is much more versatile and has a strong solo career something that Ian doesn't (at least not as solid).

My two cents.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 23:58
Two of the most amazing singer's I've heard and leaders of two of my favorite bands. I hate to go against the man responsible for TAAB, but Gabriel is probably my #1 vocalist of all time.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Joe61
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 11:02
Difficult choice-I discovered Jethro Tull and Genesis around the same time(Summer of 77), but I'll have to pick Ian...

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 12:24

On the other hand, Gabriel's talents as a vocallist are rather underrated.  Listen closely to some of the things he's done and you'll appreciate how versatile he is, or listen to his first solo album, where he stretches himself to a considerable extent.

Agreed. Another example of his powerful voice is "Blood of Eden" off of Gabe's album "Us".

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

As far as his costumes go I see this as a reflection of his bi polar personalty more so than an artistic expression.  I believe those costume changes were not necessary and probably got in the way for the rest of the band.     Wink

The costumes started because Genesis was a band with very limited resources, while Howe had 3 or 4 guitars and Wakeman has a 360° degrees keyboard and Emerson came into the show in flying pianos,  all Genesis members had only one set of instruments, as a fact their concerts in England didn't gave them enough money to get at least a second set of instruments, so they had to tune them between songs, this took several minutes and was boring (this was said by Anthony Phillips, because he used to tell the stories before Peter and got a terrible stage phobia). I believe Mike Rutherford also said it in Genesis a History

All the bands had a show but Genesis couldn't afford it and teir act was really boring, lets see:
  1. Gabriel before the costumes used to sing with his arms crossed in a square meter without any movement.
  2. Mike Rutherford was hidding behind the speakers in the left side of the stage (from audience perspective).
  3. Steve Hackett sat in a chair and never rised his head.
  4. Tony was buried in his keyboards and never was part of the show unlike Wakeman with his capes or Emerson rubbing ribbons in his arse.
  5. Phil was the only one capable of helping Pete but he was in his drum kit.

Look at the photto in my signature, that was tyhe exact position they weere almost always

So only the people who really loved their music, went to see them, while Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP. Jethro Tull, etc were doing amazing shows that captured the audience...Lets face it, they were kids in a men business, they were the younger of the pioneers and nobody knew them, so nobody took them seriously.

In one of that shows in an  empty Box arena of Dublin on Sept 28, 1972. if I'm not wrong, Peter used the famous red dress and the Fox head, the next day they were front page in all the papers and the next concerts gathered crowds to see what Peter was going to do.

So if the costumes bothered the rest of the band, they were very cheap, being that those costumes placed food on their tables when nobody wanted them, except in Italy.

Now, another problem was the lyrics, you can listen The Musical Box for centuries and if you don't read the little story in the cover, you won't understand what the f*ck they are talking about, the costumes and the stories helped people understand the very complex lyrics, Peter's body language when asking to touch Cinthya's hair and skin speak more than a million words.

This was Genesis before the costumes:

This was Genesis after the costumes:

So the costumes were a need for Genesis, without them, they would had vanished as many great bands and very few would remember the wonderful music they made.

Some  Genesis members  (two to be precise)  were jealous because people went to the concerts more interested in Gabriel than in the rest of the band.

He was able to create a very good show with very little money and that's a merit, so don't blame his disorder, praise his creativity.

It's easy to talk, when you don't know the history of why things happened.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: progcabaretdoll
Date Posted: November 26 2007 at 06:55
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Some  Genesis members  (two to be precise)  were jealous because people went to the concerts more interested in Gabriel than in the rest of the band.

I wonder who.......

Posted By: Komodo dragon
Date Posted: November 26 2007 at 12:42
Ian Anderson,Ian Anderson,Ian Anderson,Ian Anderson,Ian Anderson
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Abrawang
Date Posted: November 29 2007 at 23:52
I like both singers quite a bit but I tried this test - what if the bands had swapped singers?  I'd say that Gabriel would have made Tull quite a bit more interesting while Anderson would have cost Genesis a lot of its quirky charm.  So Gabriel it is.

-------------
Casting doubt on all I have to say...

Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 00:01
^ but that's not really a good example because Tull is, for the most part, Ian Anderson... you can't swap for Anderson, he'd turn you into Jethro Tull

Posted By: Abrawang
Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 00:51
You're right but I was hypothesizing Gabriel doing Tull's music with the Tull band versus Anderson doing Genesis music with the rest of Genesis.  Anyway, I'm sticking with Gabriel.

-------------
Casting doubt on all I have to say...

Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 13:38
The costumes were just a great way to up the attitude of the concert,. Though almost distracting from the music, the crazy antics of Peter Gabriel were know WAY outside the prog community.

So both Yorkie and Ivan are right.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk