Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43719
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 22:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Carpet Crawlers
Posted By: Floydian42
Subject: The Carpet Crawlers
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 12:03
People may think I'm crazy, but I much prefer the 1999 remake of this song. Musically it does much more for me. When listening through the album, I often play that over the original. It just seems so much stronger. I was just wondering if I was truly alone in that, or if there are others that like that version? (And well I was at it, I decided to add the Seconds out Version, why not? Someone might prefer it...)

Replies:
Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 12:33
I just don't like it.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 12:49
Call me retro....I just like the originals.

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 13:05
I like the original recording too. Or better: a live version I heard on a 1970s bootleg with the band playing the whole "The Lamb..."

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 13:06
I like the original the best as well.

Posted By: maups2
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 16:47
I, unlike many, actually prefer the 1999 version of the song as well. So smooth.

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:17
What happened to the Archive vol1  live version?
Now that is good.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:19
The Lamb Lies Down all the way, still brings the hair up on my arms whenever I hear it.

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 19:04

Actually, the best version is the version they played on the Turn it On Again tour this year! It sounds A LOT better in a lower key, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 19:35
The original version makes me smile 

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 19:40
I havent heard the 1999 one yet, but I doubt it's as good as the first.

Phil slaughtered the poor song in seconds out.

-------------

Posted By: dralan
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 21:53
One of my first Genesis albums was Seconds Out, and I loved this song on it when I first heard it, so when I did get the Lamb this song sounded weird to me!! I prefer Gabriels versions of all the other material Phil redid, but for some reason I still like the Seconds Out version of this particular song.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 23:48
Originally posted by Teh_Slippermenz Teh_Slippermenz wrote:

Actually, the best version is the version they played on the Turn it On Again tour this year! It sounds A LOT better in a lower key, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

This only means Phil is having more problems with the high ones.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 23:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

Does it matter? As long as it sounds good.

Posted By: Tommydouglas
Date Posted: November 22 2007 at 23:52
I know I'll be labelled a heretic for saying so, but I'm with the 1999 camp. It does seem fuller some how and it's wonderful with both Gabriel's and Collin's matured and seemingly stronger voices on it behind the lush keyboards and guitar synths.

-------------
"I'm not really spiritual, just religious."

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 04:46
1999 version is too techno (the video on YouTube is too "Hollywood" too).  The original has the wonderful Banks' keyboard arpeggiaton and Hackett's surreal guitar overtones...

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:53
The origina song, unsurprisingly.

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:20
I've been hearing the 1999 version a lot on Planet Rock radio. It just doesn't have the atmosphere of the original.

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: Mandrakroot
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 15:42

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 16:39
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván

Yes, I knew that. He isn't 23 years old anymore, of course, so they had to lower the keys (but it enhanced the feeling of some of the songs, such as Crawlers, "Mama", and "I Know What I Like [In Your Wardrobe]"). I'm glad they did that, as it gave me a new view of The Carpet Crawlers. As Floydian suggested, it doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good.

Even "Hold On My Heart" sounded nice.....for two seconds. Then I realized how God-awful the song was and always will be. Stern%20Smile

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 18:27
^^^

Sorry, but IMHO Carpet Crawlers 99 is an aberration:

1. Done by bits in 3 years
  2. The musicians never played together
  3. It was an excuse to promote an horrendous album and to fool the fans of Prog era.
  4. Sounds like Techno more than Prog.
  5. As usual Steve hackett’s part were buried by the trio who decided what goes and what not.

Steve Hackett says it all:

Quote WOG: After you re-record the new version of "Carpet Crawlers" (a.k.a. "Carpet Crawlers '99") with Genesis, were you pleased with the final product? It sounds like on most of the song you're pretty buried in the mix...

SH: Well, I think that my contribution to the song was only used at the very beginning. Either Trevor Horn (the producer) mixed it or handed it off to someone else, and I'm not sure if he was as hands-on as he could have been with it. I don't think it got the best out of anybody to be honest. That's my take on the track and a number of people may disagree with me, but if you're looking for brilliant guitar playing most of it's on the cutting room floor! ...Well, you'll never know if it was brilliant or run of the mill (laughs)!

What I am saying is, I included the guitar figure that was always intended for inclusion on the chorus of "Carpet Crawlers." I have a mix of that which, at one point, I was thinking of including on the website so people could actually hear the removed guitar parts restored, but contractually, I might be on a sticky wicket there. At the end of the day, you're only allowed to do what you're allowed to do. 

If I can answer a common question, when people ask me about Genesis reunions, I feel as though I've got that as an example of something that's likely to happen. Reunions, on this level, end up becoming pretty corporate affairs as you can tell with the credits on "Carpet Crawlers." I haven't worked corporately like this for many, many years, and I'm actually extremely proud of every note that I include on anything these days. Extremely proud. So, I think you can sacrifice quite a lot just to be part of a band again.

WOG: Were you all in the studio recording that together or did each member do their own thing and just have it put together in the studio later?

SH: No! I think it was put together over a period of about three years or so I seem to recall. My contribution was two hours in an afternoon... in my own studio.
I don't think anyone really wanted to meet up and work together on that thing. Again, there's the inevitable question of reunions and the wisdom of those things is that it's really only worth doing if everyone is going to see eyeball to eyeball.

The problem is, handing it off to another producer is a bit of a lottery isn't it? ...As to what's going to be included. I don't know if I'm prepared to take those sort of chances. 

http://worldofgenesis.com/SteveHackett-interview-2001.htm - http://worldofgenesis.com/SteveHackett-interview-2001.htm

Speaks loud and clear.......As in Seconds out, his guitar sections were buried in the mix, imagine that this is obvious for the interviewer of The World of Genesis, a group of guys who usually keep this affaires in the closet.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: electricsilence
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 17:25
The Live in London 1975 bootleg version, very emotional stuff.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 25 2007 at 23:21
I think that the 1999 version works best as a stand alone song, so I voted for it.

But if I was listening to The Lamb, I'd want the original version.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk