Forum Description: Performance Reviews by Members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43776
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 10:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Battles - Niceto Club, Argentina - 23 of november
Posted By: el böthy
Subject: Battles - Niceto Club, Argentina - 23 of november
Date Posted: November 24 2007 at 13:31
Four musicians making as little music as possible.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, Battles, the new "it" band of the underground scene played in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the beautiful and small Niceto club. The first thing that crossed my mind when I found out Battles were supoussed to come here was "Why?" Not ´cause I don´t like them or anything, but why would a new band, that has just released their first album (which isn´t out here yet... if ever) want to come to the complet other side of the globe...? Not to mention that due to the convertibility 40 pesos (which was the price of the ticket) is not the same as 40 dollares... in fact it´s something like 13 or so... I mean, I can´t think of many bands that would do such a thing. Well, Battles is not your typical band!

Even though the show started way to late, it was suppoused to start at 9:30 and it started around 11:00!!! Which I though was a complet lack of respect (I doubt they treat their New York or European fans the same way) it was all forgiven when Dave Konopka (bass) comes out to make some noise. Soon the rest of the band comes out too to play what I think must have been Race:In, the first song of Mirrored, their studio album. Now, I´m not sure, as I only know Atlas and Tonto. And we all start to dance. I, personally, tried to dance in the offbeat, which you know is sooo prog. I was surprised by the amount of chicks in the audience, and even more cause the mayority where quite hot, which is a good change of the usual sausage party that prog live performances are.
So the music keeps on going, the loops keep on appearing, I´m having mixed feelings whether I like that sort of things or not, but in the end it was fun, so what the hell, it´s all good. And then... Atlas. You knew Atlas would be the highlight of the night, and everyone was expecting it, and when it started... let me tell you, I have been in pogos, but this one was of the hook! Man, I couldnt breathe at one point, but I keeped on going. If I couldnt breathe, and Im very tall (1,95 mt), I can´t think of the little people and girls around jejejeje.
The night went of with some calmer songs. But all the time I was watching them I coulnd´t help but notice that I have never seen a band that sweats that much, specially the drummer. And man does he play! If he is not totally high on something he must be some kind of marcian.

All in all it was a incredible night, of four very, very talented musicians making noise sound totally awesome.
4/5 stars

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Replies:
Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: November 28 2007 at 20:50
Good to know that you enjoyed it Matias. I'm dying to see those guys live, but I know that it ain't gonna happen anytime soon (or anytime for that matter...).

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2007 at 15:34
Don´t be that sure. I mean, if in their first tour after their very first album they come to Argentina... maybe eventually they´ll land on Puerto Rico... I mean, anything is possible...right?

-------------

Posted By: Revan
Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 21:35
I can't believe i saw this today...
When i talked to a friend about battles he said: "yeah! they are coming to argentina!" And i said: "nah, impossible"

i can't believe it.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2008 at 21:40
You misses such a great gig... probably the best I saw in 07!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk