Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43938
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 14:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Procol Harum vs. Moody BLOOZ!!!
Posted By: The Whistler
Subject: Procol Harum vs. Moody BLOOZ!!!
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 02:32
Procol Harum. Duh. Most underrated band on the planet; not only did they pluck a totally unique style from basic sixties white-boy blues, but they single-handedly created prog rock and metal doing it.

The Moody Blues? Meh. Nice band, of course. But compared to the Procolers, they were not terribly innovate, and certainly far less technically adequate.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Replies:
Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 02:55
I've only heard their hit singles. "Whiter Shade Of A Pale" is a much better song than "Nights In White Satin". I'll take a beatiful Leslie Speaker progression over a boring mellotron progression anyday.

-------------

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 05:56
Thanks for reminding me that I was going to get some of Procol Harum's stuff for ages! They really were an extraordinary band (maybe not the worlds most underrated, though) with a very unique style and I simply have goosebumps running down my back listening to songs like "A Salty Dog" or "Hamburg".

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: M. B. Zapelini
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 07:39
Though choice, because I like both bands... My vote goes to Procol Harum!

-------------
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL

Posted By: paloz
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 09:30
Moody blues... One of my fav albums is Days of future passed..

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 09:35
PH's best is better than the Moodies best...but the Moodies wrote more quality material and more memorable melodies so I voted for 'em.

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 09:39
Hmmm.Tricky one.

Trower's guitar v Hayward's guitar - Trower

Pinder's keyboards v Brooker's keyboards - Pinder. 'Trontastic.

Taking in mind that the above are not the only main facets of both bands,I call this one a draw.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 09:46
It's all a question of balance since both shine on brightly.

neither/both whatever. LOL

-------------
What?

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Hmmm.Tricky one.

Trower's guitar v Hayward's guitar - Trower

Pinder's keyboards v Brooker's keyboards - Pinder. 'Trontastic.

Taking in mind that the above are not the only main facets of both bands,I call this one a draw.

I concur wholeheartedly! Trower weaved magic on Whiskey Train and Pinder sure laid down some fluffy mellow tron blankets.
Hayward and Brooker both possess great pipes .
Tie Score Confused

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 19:52
Tied game: 1-1
NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN versus A WHITER SHADE OF PALE?Heart

Both bands knew how to write magnificent melodies, knew how to sing them, have great arrangements....and some shortcomings as well but who doesn't have?
GRAND HOTEL from PH is my overall favorite followed by PH 1st album and MB first 3 albums.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 21:26
Procol Harum for me.

Posted By: Kyle
Date Posted: November 30 2007 at 22:18
The Moody Blues. They were more important to Prog. than Procal Harum, and were more consistent (1967-1972 period). That is not to say I dislike Procal Harum, quite the opposite!! I've always believed that The Moody Blues have gotten some unfair knock, with them not being that complex and all. It doesn't really matter, they were important. If anything, both groups are a little overlooked on this site. Just look at the number of ratings both bands' albums have received.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 06:38
I can't believe the Procol side hasn't run away with this one....the Moodies took an early lead and have been holding the stronger side off....hope the Procols will come out strong in the second half.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 18:53
Well PH had there run in the late 60's early 70's and the Moody's still tour. Both bands have their strengths and weakness' but Procol never got much radio play in the U.S.A with the exception of "Whiter Shade..." and "Conquistador". I still prefer the organ driven Procol though.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: December 01 2007 at 22:58
gotta go with the Moodys, although both bands were very important.  Would have been intersting to throw BJH into this poll too.

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: December 03 2007 at 17:27
Moodies...

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: December 03 2007 at 17:41
Moody blues ...specially early Moody Blues ,I dont like the voice of Gary Brooker,I have some of the first albums of Moody Blues and one album alive in Edmonton with orchestra of Procol Harum

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 11:19

It only could be The Moody Blues.

Posted By: Hamfari
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:19
The Moody blues, the 5 albums made in 67-70 are really great. 
I donīt know Procol harum that much, they seem quite good, I should maybe get to know them better.  The vocal harmonies and overall music composition seem to appeal to me more.
They donīt seem that underestimated cause whiter shade of pale gets much more radioplay than nights in white satin (their hits) at least where Iīm at.

-------------
Nobody needs to go anywhere else. We are all, if we only knew it, already there.

Posted By: Duncan
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 08:16
When it comes to evoking an air of genuine profundity out of god-knows-where, Procol Harum are easily the better. Though neither are particularly to my taste, it's quite impressive how they manage to skirt around complete pap and remain a pretty engaging, charming little band. Wouldn't say the same about the Moodies.

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 12:48
Procol Harum.

-------------
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Posted By: harrold the barrel
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 00:29
procol harum!  a salty dog is ridonkulous!!Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 01:02
them Moodies... by miles... 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 01:43
Ehhh.. no idea.. have only heard like 1 song from each band.. Ermm

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 01:45
Moody Blues certainly

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 09:43
Both were important proto-prog bands, but I think Procol Harum reinvented itself some more. As it comes to personal taste, I'd also choose Procol Harum. I especially like their first three albums and Grand Hotel, and some of the crazy / progressive things they did on Home and Broken Barricades.

Posted By: everyone
Date Posted: February 09 2008 at 11:06
Procol Harum's sound was more earth shattering compared to the Moodies'.  The Moodies rode in on the coattails of the British Invasion originally and were not the best "freak beat" band from Birmingham UK.  I own every Procol Harum album and the first 8 or 9 albums from the Moodies.  I have tried to listen to the Moodies albums but I cannot get past the first two songs on their records.  I'll shoot myself if I hear anything off Days of Future Passed again...

Posted By: zicIy
Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 04:48
PROCOL HARUM to me!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk