Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44072
Printed Date: May 29 2024 at 11:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: One Song Only
Posted By: Shakespeare
Subject: One Song Only
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 16:15
Today, my student-teacher for math decided to let us all play ONE song in class tomorrow (during a work period or something - details weren't clear). Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding what I should play. Should I play

1) Just a great song, that everyone will like (something like Minstrel in the Gallery or Level Five)
2) An intro to prog or something that will show them what prog is like (maybe Knots or Watcher of the Skies)
3) A really crazy, Avant-garde, insane song to blow their minds (and if you vote for this one, I'd like some suggestions for the craziest song.)

Which?

Do you have another suggestion? I thought about playing Amarok, but there are time constraints.

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread tomorrow morning before I leave, so vote quick!

Replies:
Posted By: Prayermad
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 16:19
I remember once that i did a school project about Progressive music, and the song i played was Dancing With The Moonlit Knight.

However, this sounds a bit interesting because if you can play any song you want you could piss everyone of by picking a real long song.

I'd say pick a prog song, but perhaps one that is not very lengthy.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 16:29
I wouldn't pick a really long song, and I might choose something more modern (so that my tastes don't seem too dated -- otherwise I might well go with something off MDK).

I might go with something from Hoeyry-Kone's Houno Parturi, maybe "Karhunkaato," or I think I might well go with something off Koenjihyakkei's Angherr Shisspa like "Wammilika Iffirom."

I voted for "John Zorn their asses" -- now a John Zorn piece, now that's a great idea (just haven't thought of which one yet).

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 16:55
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Do you have another suggestion? I thought about playing Amarok, but there are time constraints.

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread tomorrow morning before I leave, so vote quick!

I once played Side B of Tubular Bells on a drama class. Needless to say no one was left indifferent, and there were some "WTF"'s and "Awsome"s heard in the crowd. LOL

I would say "show them the prog", but not something you choose because its conventional or representative - just choose something you like. Then you can kill whoever doesn't.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Poser
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 17:03
I doubt you will "make everyone happy" in any way, so play something that will introduce them to prog/satisfy your individual taste. Go ahead, scare them.

-------------

Posted By: jikai55
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 17:05
I forget the number, but play the track that is just Mike Patton's vocal improvisations on John Zorn's latest album.

-------------

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 17:08
Make everyone happy, that's what Transatlantic would do. Oh, and I'm pretty sure people will be weirded out by Level Five.

Gah, just play Rage.

Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 17:08
I chose the second option, because I think that if all music was happy life would be most vapid, and also because although Zorn is good, it would be a bit of a mickey take if he was the only artist around. Also, i loooove the prog

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 17:59
Show 'em the prog and play "Watcher of the Skies" or something. If you DID play Watcher, that would be great because the world could always use a little Gabriel-era Genesis. <_<

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I might go with something from Hoeyry-Kone's Houno Parturi, maybe "Karhunkaato,"

This. Maybe even 'Baksteri' just to get some Confused looks.

I'd say full blown prog 'em. Knots, Lark's Tongues Part One, Nebehr Gudahtt, etc.

Also, National Health's 'Dreams Wide Awake', if only for the intro.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:33
I think you should make everyone happy and play 4'33" by John Cage. Or something by Merzbow.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:38
A blast of Painkiller - Guts of a Virgin could be good, or maybe a bit of Classic Guide to Strategy, or some eYe's vocal contributions to the first Naked City album.

Actually, forget that - the Zorn/Patton suggestion will probably be best for losing friends and alienating people.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Yorkie X
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:38
If it was me (and its not so I`m safe) I'd probably accept that maybe at best 33% of the class is going to be interested in prog so there's 66% who will not be there for I'd play a radio friendly prog song to try and please as many people as possible. "Solsbury Hill" from Peter Gabriel, "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" from Yes, "Carry On Wayward Son" From Kansas  or "Comfortably Numb" From Pink Floyd all come to mind, but you know your class best and there's no chance everybody is going to pat you on the back no matter what you play. If the rebel in me come out on the big day I'd probably hit them with 21st century Schizoid Man just for the strange looks Big%20smile

Posted By: wandererfromtx
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:44
Show them the prog

I received an A for an English Lit class when I played Close to the Edge and projected the Album cover and lyrics

Of course this was around 1975

-------------
Cloud Hidden Whereabouts Unknown

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 18:55
Just don't play something like Comus' "Drip Drip" unless you want to be sent for psychiatric evaluation/ counselling....

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:27
Play something Avant...make them cry.

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:30
Play them TAABEvil%20Smile

-------------

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:48
Beefheart them to death!

Hair Pie: Bake 1.

Or better still: something with the classic Beefheart seemingly-nonsense lyrics, like Steal Softly Through Snow. 

-------------

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:55
How about dedicate a Zappa song the day after the anniversary of his death. I don't know what TO play, but I would advise to NOT play "Bobby Brown Goes Down" at school! LOL

-------------

Posted By: micky
show them the prog.... and actually liked your idea of Knots.... love blasting that with the windows down... get all kinds of looks...

might even make some fans... instead of trying to freak them out.. think you'll be the only one trying to pull something like that.... give them the Gentle Giant... be cool... not an obvious poseur LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Play something Avant...make them cry.

Clap

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

...I'd play a radio friendly prog song to try and please as many people as possible. "Solsbury Hill" from Peter Gabriel, "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" from Yes, "Carry On Wayward Son" From Kansas  or "Comfortably Numb" From Pink Floyd all come to mind, but you know your class best and there's no chance everybody is going to pat you on the back no matter what you play. ...

For the love of god, NO!! !Dead

Why waste a chance to play something mind-blowing with one of these VERY typical classic-rock radio songs?

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

How about dedicate a Zappa song the day after the anniversary of his death. I don't know what TO play, but I would advise to NOT play "Bobby Brown Goes Down" at school! LOL

crew slut ...that fits the bill ClapLOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 19:59
Show them some prog, definately. Always a pleasure.

They'll be happy anyway ;)

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:01
I'm thinking that Gentle Giant may be the best contender here. Just about anything would work, although Knots would probably get the most reactions.

If all else fails, something from Western Culture.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:06
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

I'm thinking that Gentle Giant may be the best contender here. Just about anything would work, although Knots would probably get the most reactions.

good man... I agree...   Knots is a real icebreaker for the non proggies out there... use it often myself... anyone can appreciate that damn singing...  catchy as all hell... hahahha  you'll have the dude with mohawk sitting in the back row singing along by the 2nd verse...LOL

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:10
I assume they know you and are going to be expecting something weird, so throw them a curve-ball - pick something classical, like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

I was going to suggest Philip Glass's http://www.philipglass.com/audioplayer/audioplayer.html - Knee 1 from Einstein on the Beach - but I know you don't like all that maths stuff Wink.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I assume they know you and are going to be expecting something weird, so throw them a curve-ball - pick something classical, like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

excellent suggestion... a variation of my theme.... there will be all kinds of off the wall sh*t... surprise everyone.... you'll be the one they are talking about.. not that stupid sh*t with no melody.. no beauty.

you are a man after my heart Dean....

since I have been on a Rachmaninoff kick today... hit them with his 2nd Piano Concerto... hell Shakespeare.. maybe that hot blond with the big mammary glands will finally take notice of  you.. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 20:54
Make them happy with Dancing With The Moonlit Knight! It may be a great introduction to the genre, IMO. Clap Big%20smile

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Barla/?chartstyle=LastfmMyspace">

Posted By: Nowhere Man
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 21:26
Play Squid/Octopus, the bonus track off H To He Who Am The Only One. Have them running for cover. Evil%20Smile

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

Make them happy with Dancing With The Moonlit Knight! It may be a great introduction to the genre, IMO. Clap Big%20smile

not bad.. but we'll come to Genesis later...

let's see... to break it down...

for that blond out there.. just waiting for Shakepeare to catch her eye.. depends on how you want to project yourself...

for the ...  I am too quirky...so avant-guard  to believe melody has a place in music...

Franco Battiato - Za LOL

for the .... I am dangerous, rough and tough...and one date with me will leave your skirt hanging from the nearest tree...

Balletto di Bronzo - Introduzione

for the ... spaced out... I've cut you a deal if you need some more dope for the weekend type

Hawkwind - Space is Deep (the live Space Ritual version of course)

for the .... soft sensitive guy whom her parents will love because you are apparantly boring enough that their daughter need not worry about you having the balls to make a move on her

Genesis - ... pick any song...  except the Knife of course

for the ....  geeky ...technical types ...the  type that some do drive some women crazy

Dream Theater...  can't name a single song by them... but chose one... any song

for the....  pretentious, overblown type.. who just have to just to be bigger.. louder and more flashy than anyone around.

was there any doubt...

ELP- Karn Evil 9

-------------

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 21:44

pwn their n00by asses with some hardcor3 ZORN!

Something off Astronome preferably.

-------------
Beauty will save the world.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 21:45
Just play something good that you want to hear. Screw the rest of the class.
In such a situation, I would probably play Thick as a Brick.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

for that blond out there.. just waiting for Shakepeare to catch her eye.. depends on how you want to project yourself...

for the ...  I am too quirky...so avant-guard  to believe melody has a place in music...

Franco Battiato - Za LOL

for the .... I am dangerous, rough and tough...and one date with me will leave your skirt hanging from the nearest tree...

for the ... spaced out... I've cut you a deal if you need some more dope for the weekend type

for the .... soft sensitive guy whom her parents will love because you are apparantly boring enough that their daughter need not worry about you having the balls to make a move on her

for the ....  geeky ...technical types ...the  type that some do drive some women crazy

for the....  pretentious, overblown type.. who just have to just to be bigger.. louder and more flashy than anyone around.

was there any doubt...

ELP- Karn Evil 9

LOLLOLLOL
ClapClapClap

Hilarious (and direct) post, Micky!
Personally, I would be looking for the girl that liked the last option Wink

-------------

Posted By: Purplefloyd
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:13
I'd choose something pleasant but good, like "Trains" by Porcupine Tree or "Windowpane" by Opeth.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:21
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

Franco Battiato - Za LOL

was there any doubt...

ELP- Karn Evil 9

LOLLOLLOL
ClapClapClap

Hilarious (and direct) post, Micky!
Personally, I would be looking for the girl that liked the last option Wink

hahahha.. .damn right...  Clap

-------------

Posted By: Elderscrollsfan
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:32
Hah, I'm in a similar situation, I have to bring in a 1-2 minute sample of a song I love.  I'm thinking about the song Trains by Porcupine Tree... not the most progressive song out there (and that's an understatement), but it's accessible while at the same time being a really beautiful song.

For a prog-into sort of thing, I'd reccomend one of the more famous progressive or prog-related bands, like Pink Floyd or Queen.  Or an accessible band like Tool.  Something really crazy might be good, too, if only for the reaction. 

Anyway, it all depends on the reaction you want.

If your goal is to get people into prog, pick an accessible, easy-to-like song.  If you want to just give people an idea of what it's all about, show them an artsy one that you like.  If you want people to go "What the F***?" pick option 3.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:41
Yeah everyone is totally expected the weirdest crap from me...I'm considering giving them exactly what they expect, and I'm also considering toning it down or completely surprising them with something else....

k, QUICK PEOPLE

The Final heat:

Knots
Mike Patton's vocals piece on Zorn's latest
Mars, Bringer of War - Holst
Terva-Antti Ku Haihin Lahti - Hoyry-Kone
Pat Metheny - Proof (or something from Speaking of Now)

I don't think a lot of them know I listen to a lot of jazz, so Pat Metheny might be a good choice, since he is pretty much my favourite musician ever.

Then again, it's so fun to show people Knots - the archytype of prog.

And I love blowing people's faces off with Zorn.

...I CAN'T DECIDED!!!

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:42
pssst...Astronome....

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:45
part of the fun of life is giving people what they don't expect.... predictable people.. are boring people..

Knots...

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:46
The Hoyry-Kone song you picked isn't weird enough. I would piss myself laughing if you played Baksteri though.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:47
BEEFHEART U NUB

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:51
I do have to wonder... do any of you avant freaks actually have a girlfriend... what the hell does she say went you pop that stuff in the player when heading down the road.  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:51
Knots all the way.

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:52

I do have to wonder... do any of you avant freaks actually have a girlfriend... what the hell does she say went you pop that stuff in the player when heading down the road.  LOL

micky, I get a lot of chicks.
None of them like my music.
They never let me bring music anywhere with me.

So no, they dont enjoy hahaLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:54
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

micky, I get a lot of chicks.
None of them like my music.
They never let me bring music anywhere with me.

So no, they dont enjoy hahaLOL

hahhaha.. awesome ClapClap

-------------

Actually, scrap all of those. Bring the Dark Eternal Night. You won't regret it. 

-------------

Chicks hate me, but it has nothing to do with my music. I'm just a jerk. 

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:55

Smile

Confused

Ermm

Cry

Thumbs%20Down

Dead

Cry (me)

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:55
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Actually, scrap all of those. Bring the Dark Eternal Night. You won't regret it. 

I had a good laugh.....LOL
Clap

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:56
Or perhaps....JACK THE RIPPER!

-------------

Posted By: puma
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:57
Play Astronomy Domine, all the kids who are like "I love Pink Floyd" but have only ever heard Money will be embarrassed because they won't know the song of the band whose shirt they're wearing.

That happened once. I asked a kid from my high school wearing a Dark Side t-shirt if he liked the song Sheep, and he asked me who played it. "You're wearing their shirt, buddy."

Some early Floyd, then.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:58
Not such a Floyd fan, myself.

I'm leaning towards getting out the old Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls CDs from my sister's room.LOL

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 22:59

Chicks hate me, but it has nothing to do with my music. I'm just a jerk. 

you obviously haven't met the right one for you.... don't women love men that are jerks...  sure they tell us they want the soft emotional kind... but want they really want are the take charge.. take no sh*t type LOL  The same as the...  oh honey... size doesn't matter...hahhha... yeah right... .it matters alright hahahhaha

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:00

since I have been on a Rachmaninoff kick today... hit them with his 2nd Piano Concerto... hell Shakespeare.. maybe that hot blond with the big mammary glands will finally take notice of  you.. LOL

Haha, he might be too young to get the reference...

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:02
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Haha, he might be too young to get the reference...

I think so.... oh well Wink

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:02
I'm a jerk. Women love me.
I get college chicks. Wooo.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:03
I got a college chick once...12 years later, she's still here!  EmbarrassedWink

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:04

LOLClap

-------------

Dude you're younger than me!
And apparently I'm too young to get the joke about some glands....You must be pretty young, Chris.

Wink

Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

I'm a jerk. Women love me.
I get college chicks. Wooo.

LOLLOL Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:05

oh that's classic Clap

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:07

Ok, I'm playing Knots while my sister is in the room. Standby for reaction.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:08

Dude you're younger than me!
And apparently I'm too young to get the joke about some glands....You must be pretty young, Chris.

Wink

So far I've caught all the references in this threadLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:09

Ok, I'm playing Knots while my sister is in the room. Standby for reaction.

standing by....

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:10
Nothing so far.

She's probably too afraid to speak.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:14

Nothing so far.

She's probably too afraid to speak.

hahhaha... not surprised... I remember I was cruising around Raleigh N.C. a couple of years ago... blasting Knots.. .came up to a stoplight and ...of course.. two brothers pull up along side of me... here I am ...singing along.. .trying to at least.. and I look over... and the looks on their faces was priceless... speachless .. as they were digging something that may have had melody.. but couldn't tell over all the f**king this.. and f**king that...

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:14
My whole family knows the weird stuff I listen to and accept it.

My dad even likes some of it!

Minstrel in the Gallery makes another great option. The folkey beginning will make popofans happy, the metal part for metalheads, and the end part for normal rockers.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:16
Yeah same here, my family is fine with whatever I listen to. My mom digs a few songs that I show her as well, but she still won't accept ConstantinopleLOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:18
Well my dad is a huge prog rock fan, was back in the 70s, and he loves Porc Tree, but I'm scared to show him my RIO and Zeuhl. 

Posted By: Proletariat
Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:22
^^^
same situation here

oh and by the way you should play a GY!BE song and continue to say things like "no its still playing this is the quiet part" or "wait for it, wait for it"

-------------
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:22
My mom doesn't even like Canterbury!

How much of a Nazi do you have to be to dislike Canterbury??!?!

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:26

How much of a Nazi do you have to be to dislike Canterbury??!?!

Just the smallest bit will do it.

Date Posted: December 04 2007 at 23:33
Yeah well it's way past my bedtime...still haven't decided yet....

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 02:31
Be good and make people happy, don't torture them. Imagine if instead of you, the DJ is somebody else and he decides to play, let's say rap or house. 

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 02:57
Go Knots go!
Go Knots go!
Go Knots go!

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 03:03

Well, let's see.....

If you don't mind risking suspension you could follow Micky's suggestion of "Crew Slutt," although I think I'd go with "Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt" instead.

Sticking with Joe's Garage, "Watermelon in Easter Hay" would be a socially acceptable alternative.  You could play the rest of the album for your friends later.

But honestly, your best bet is to play what you love most.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 05:26
"The Firebook" from Zorn's 50th Birthday Celebration Number 9. They'll react nicely to that toe-tapper.

If you really wanna freak them out, play some early Residents. Perhaps their cover of "Satisfaction" or something from "Not Available".

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 06:02
Let's see... if you play something of your RIO and Zeuhl they won't understand a thing LOL
so I suggest you play something more 'easy', sth like JTull or Rush
don't
make them happy with sth too easy, but keep them on the bright side of prog

Posted By: zvinki
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 08:37
For some reason my son's friends all like Yes' Siberian Khatru (they are in the 16-17 year old bracket).

Posted By: Snipergoat
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 09:19
Play some Zappa.

MUFFIN MAN!

Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 16:57
The day of song-playing is not the present one.

I misunderstood. I thought we were all playing our songs today, but alas, one will be played daily. My turn will be well into the future.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 16:58

My mom entered my room while I was listening to Zaar at full volume. Her face expressions was priceless!

As for the song,  Bungle's None of Them Knew They Were Robots would be my pickCool

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:02

The day of song-playing is not the present one.

I misunderstood. I thought we were all playing our songs today, but alas, one will be played daily. My turn will be well into the future.

More time for planning!

May I come with some avant suggestions:

Present - Promenade Au Fond D'un Canal
Fantômas - Delerium Cordia
Absolute Zero - Stutter Rock/You Said
Discus - System Manipulation
Wha-ha-ha - Inanaki

Just to see how they reactLOL

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:14
My mom was weirded out by Animal Collective. Good times.

-------------

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: December 05 2007 at 18:19

Show 'em the prog ( maybe "Firth Of Fifth", "Heart Of The Sunrise" or "Entangled").

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 15:46
Show them whart prog means

Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 18:25
Rage. Or Transatlantic. Or Magma. Or Napalm Death. Or Pat Metheny; As It Is from Speaking of Now. That would be epic, picture the reactions of the mainstreamers and hipsters and punks and emos and all the just plain uselesszoids. It wouldn't freak anyone out, it would just kill all their bad musicy thoughts, at least for a while.

Posted By: obiter
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 19:58
Zeuhl their ass ........Magma (Kobah),
Space them out ......Hidria Spacefolk (322), Ozrics (Kick Muck from Pungent)
PT their booty (Voyage 34)
Medieval folky their ass ... Gentle Giant: Advent of Panurge
or just folky ... Tull (Thick as a Brick & photocopy the album cover)
Tickle their ass .... Caravan (Golf Girl or Very Smelly Grubby Little Oik)
Fish their neo-asses ... Marillion (Script for a Jester's Tear)
Fish and Depress their asses all at the same time ...Torch Song

Cheese their asses out ...  Spock's Chin Fluff ... Wind at my back   Yes (Owner of a  ...no can't finish the title ... must concentrate.... lone....l  nah just can't do it.)

Or... prove that you listen to more talented musicians

mcLaughlin/lucia/meola ..friday night in SF ... mediterranean sundance

Start a class deabte with  ..

The Donkey-Headed Adversary of Humanity

or just Freedom Song by Thin Lizzy because it's just such a fabulous track (oh it's not prog) ... ach just play it anyway ... if you don't know it give it a listen & decide for yourself........

-------------
An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

Posted By: agProgger
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 03:36
Me being the sadistic one that I am, I'd say bring in some horrendously heavy metal (like maybe Meshuggah's "Elastic"), and then whip out some ear plugs Evil%20Smile.  If you like your friends and want to keep them, bring plugs for them, too.  Make the rest of the class suffer, though!

Actually, I'm probably not the one you want advice from, seeing as how you seem to be a lighter prog listener, whereas my thing is mostly in prog metal.

-------------
Friend of the honest; enemy of the arrogant and closed-minded.

Date Posted: December 08 2007 at 21:43
Not a metal fan myself, but I listen to it for laughs every now and then. I mean DT are almost as funny as Weird Al. 

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: December 08 2007 at 23:49
I would just go with playing something that most people usually like. Gets interest in an artist...

Posted By: asimplemistake
Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 01:23
Id go with some Porcupine Tree.  Interesting yet not too far away from what people are used to hearing.  Do something from In Absentia, like .3 or The Sound of Muzak.  Sound of Muzak would be good cause its got that great chorus and the semi-complicated verse parts.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 09:19
show all the humans out there what we prog-heads listen to. it may scare them, it may convert them, either way i think you will be happy :-)

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 09:29
The ones I have to choose from right now are Knots, Mike Patton's vocal track from John Zorn's latest, Something from the Zeuhl genre (haven't decided what, yet), or ... something else. 

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 02:03
Hortz Fur Dëhn Stekëhn West!

Knots would be cool too.

Posted By: keiser willhelm
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 02:52
Mike Patton's vocal track from John Zorn's latest if thats what your looking at. My vote would have a Mr. Bungle song or a Zappa. anyway, i voted to JOHN ZORN THEIR ASSES!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/KeiserWillhelm" rel="nofollow - What im listening to

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 11:50

Well...you won't be making any friends with Zeuhl or Patton (ah, but you knew that lol) and Knots is sure  to get some giggles - I say go for this one because the other stuff is just cruel and unusual LOL...imagine someone making you listen to Nickelback for 8 - 10 minutes (okay, don't do that....could cause a headache).  I'll give your classmates the benefit of the doubt and assume that they aren't as conformist as mine were (one time I was laughed out of the room for listening to Zeppelin.  Zeppelin for God's sake! Something tells me GG wouldn't have gone over too well...).  But I digress; if I were you, I'd give 'em something complex but 'fun', something that rocks a little and has a good melody...good luck and hopefully it will go over well.

-------------
Signature Writers Guild on strike

Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 19:03
Reviving this thread because TOMORROW is the big day.

I'll give you a wide spectrum of what I'm thinking of:

1) Knots
2) Avant-Garde
    a) Litany IV (Mike Patton vocal track)
    b) Hair Pie 1 (or something else from Trout Mask)
3) Something I think the metalheads will like
    a) Level Five
    b) Pthisis or Donkey-Headed Adversary
4) Stoner prog
    a) One of the shorter tracks from Tago Mago
    b) Vitimin C
4) Jazz
    a) Something from Soft Machine's Fourth
    b) A Pat Metheny track
    c) Birds of Fire
    d) Last Seven Minutes (Magma)

If I had the whole class I would play De Futura.

But I don't.

I'm sort of leaning towards Knots, Beefheart or Can, but I would love to show people Magma....and all the other choices are so tempting....once again, I can't decide.

Any last recommendations before I pick from a hat?

Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 19:31
Christ. Don't play SGM for the poor little f**kers, this generation is confused enough. Out of those choices, Mahavishnu, but I would say Miles Beyond rather than Birds of Fire, picture it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk