My interesting non PA bands thread....

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44126
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 19:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My interesting non PA bands thread....
Posted By: erik neuteboom
Subject: My interesting non PA bands thread....
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 13:10

Hello fellow progheads.

This thread is a successor to my thread entitled 'Four Interesting Progressive Albums', my main motivation is that for me it is a perfect way to mention interesting progressive bands that are (still) not on Prog Archives, like I do in my Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands thread with new progrock bands.

Here is Part One that contains the albums I reviewed in my previous thread:

Band: The Stranglers (UK)

Album: The Raven

Year:1979

The sound of this musical chameleon has often appealed to me, from the agressive and energetic early ‘Punk Plus Sound’ to the interesting progressive mid-era. In my opinion it started with the album The Raven that I bought in the LP version with the hologram cover.

The Stranglers were a band that played a lot in clubs and pubs, you can hear that in their sound: they have a raw energy and the interplay between the musicians is very strong. On this fourth studio album The Stranglers deliver 11 compositions in which the band showcases their huge talent as tune-smiths by delivering inventive arrangements, often cynical lyrics about our crazy world, some fine shifting moods’ and a varied keyboard sound: catchy beats with a propulsive bass sound, fluent Minimoog flights and strong interplay between guitar and keyboards in The Raven, Ice, Duchess and Genetix, a mellow atmosphere with tender piano in Don’t Bring Harry, a hypnotizing climate with spacey keyboards, distorted vocals and a tight drum beat in Meninblack and an ominous atmosphere with double bass play in the dark Dead Los Angeles. How ironical that a group that is often described as punk band made such a progressive album in the late Seventies when the symphonic rock dinosaurs were close to dead!

Band: Angel (USA)

Album: Helluvaband

Year: 1976

I discovered this band on the radio, I was listening to a rock show with progressive hardrock bands (between 1973 and 1976 my favorite category) and when I heard Angel I was blown away!

This is Angel their second effort, enjoy their powerful and exciting sound, loaded with biting guitar - and flashy Minimoog solos and topped by great vocals! Musically you can split this album into two sections. First straightforward R&R-inspired songs like Anyway You Want It, Dr. Ice, Pressure Point and Chicken Soup with excellent ‘head-to-tail’ work on guitar and keyboards and powerful vocals. And second a section with songs that sound as very interesting Heavo Prog like The Fortune, one of the most compelling Heavy Prog songs I have ever heard: first a wonderful keyboard intro featuring majestic choir-Mellotron waves, a soaring string-ensemble sound and slow synthesizer flights, then lots of shifting moods, from twanging acoustic guitar with melancholical vocals to bombastic with excellent singing, fiery guitar and an eruption with fat Minimoog flights, what a tension and dynamics! Other strong compositions are Feelings (a sparkling Grand piano intro, then a slow rhythm with a wonderful harmony between vocals, guitar and piano and in the end a howling electric guitar solo) and Mirrors (great propulsive guitar riff, like Led Zep’s Immigrant Song, with outstanding vocals and biting electric guitar). At one moment Angel sounds like a hardrock band, at other moments as very intereting Heavy Prog!

Band: Journey (USA)
Album: Journey

Year: 1974

I remember vividly how thrilled I was to read that former Santana members Gregg Rolie and Neil Schonn (just listen to Caravanserai) had founded a new band with drummer Aynsley Dunbar (ex-Zappa), this was a new ‘supergroup’ and the expectations were high.

For me Journey their eponymous debut album is still their best effort, here they sound as an exciting, very progressive blend of several styles, from rock and blues to jazzrock. Their trademark is the combination of the heavy guitar work by Neal Schonn (biting and howling with frequent use of the wah-wah pedal), the often furious drumming by Aynsley Dunbar and the very distinctive vocals with that melancholical undertone by Gregg Rolie, especially in tracks like Of A Lifetime (great build-up and grand finale), the alternating intrumental Topaz (from swinging Fender Rhodes piano to biting wah-wah guitar) and the final track Mystery Mountain (great interplay between organ, guitar and drums). The other four track are worth a listening session: In The Morning Day delivers halfway a spectacular break with echo-effects, swirling Hammond and blistering guitar, the intrumental Kohoutek has an ominous atmospehre, a strong build-up and a sensational Minimoog solo and In My Lonely Feeling/Conversations contains lush Hammond organ, a dynamic rhythm-section and biting, wah-wah drenched guitar, this is the typical early Journey sound!

Cozy%20Powell,Over%20The%20Top,UK,Deleted,LP%20RECORD,193916
Band: Cozy Powell (UK)

Album: Over The Top

Year: 1979

In the late Seventies I was very much into jazzrock sounding music like JL Ponty, Al DiMeola, Jeff Beck and Colosseum II so it was no surprise that I stumbled upon Cozy Powell, on this first solo album many contributions are by musicians that have played with the aforementioned bands.

On Over The Top we can enjoy a super powerhouse rhythm-section featuring the late drummer Cozy Powell and ex-Cream bass player Jack Bruce, what a powerful and dynamic sound, especially on Theme I and El Sid! The keyboard sound is also very exciting, delivered by Max Middleton and Don Airey, from mellow Fender Rhodes electric piano and sparkling Grand piano to lots of flashy Minimoog flights, symptuous classical orchestrations and UK-like synthesizer sounds because of the use of the mighty Yamaha CS-80. Some songs sound similar to Colosseum II because of the interplay between their ex-members Don Airey and Gary Moore. It’s ‘blues time’ in The Loner (dedicated to Jeff Beck) with moving work on guitar and piano and a pitchbend-driven Minimoog solo in the end. But the most interesting and perhaps most progressive composition is the titletrack: it opens with a swinging rhythm and excellent, then varied and exciting work on keyboards and halfway Cozy starts a drum solo, soon accompanied by bombastic classical orchestrations (lots of woodwinds and brass) on the Yamaha and Moog synthesizer, the build-up and grand finale is great, I will remember Cozy Powell forever as the composer of this composition, close to the level of Classic Prog!

Replies:
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 13:14

Part Two:

Band: ANGEL (USA)

Angel%20-%20Angel%20%281ST%20LP%29%20CD
Title: Angel

Year: 1975

- I had the idea that Angel their second album entitled Helluvaband (that I reviewed yesterday in this thread) was more progressive but today I listened to their eponymous debut LP and I am delighted this debut album! Keyboardplayer Greg Giuffria (who looks like a member of other USA band The New York Dolls) ownes an impressive array of vintage keyboards and he colours almost every of the eights songs very tastefully.

- The album starts with the hit single Mirrors, this was my introduction to the sound of Angel and I am still blown away by the huge tension between the mellow parts (with flute- and choir-Mellotron and twanging guitars) and the bombastic pieces (with fat Minimoog flights, fiery electric guitar runs and dynamic drums), topped by Frank Dimino his excellent vocals, what a wide range his voice has! Then my highlight of this album, the long composition Long Time (at about 7 minutes): the intro contains violin – and flute-Mellotron, blended with warm vocals, then a slow rhythm with an omnipresent Mellotron along harpsichord  and sensitive electric guitar, halfway interrupted by a powerful break with R&R guitar. Again the vocals lift the song to a higher level! Another wonderful song is the ballad Mariner with warm Grand piano play, emotional vocals, floods of beautiful Mellotron waves and halfway a swinging piano. The other five tracks are rock-oriented but less straightforward than on the second album, I notice more inventive arrangements with exciting vintage keyboards like bombastic Hammond organ, spectacular Minimoog flights and majestic Mellotron waves, especially the final song Angel (Theme) featuring a slow rhythm with all Mellotron sections (flute/violin/choir) and fat synthesizer runs, goose bumps!

This album deserves to be discovered by the fans of harder-edged prog like Heavy Prog!

Band: JOURNEY (USA)

Photo
Title: Next

Year: 1977

- After their outstanding eponymous debut album, the successor Look Into The Future (1976) was a bit disappointing musical experience for me but Journey took revenge with their third album entitled Next. Remarkably are the bluesy overtones, this fits perfectly with Gregg Rolie his a bit melancholical vocals and Neal Schonn his moving guitarwork like in Spaceman (biting guitar outbursts), I Would Find You (howling guitar in the end) and the final song Karma (wah-wah guitar). But the great thing on Next is the development of early Journey their trademark: a slow rhythm and a bit sultry atmosphere that gradually becomes more bombastic, culminating in excellent interplay between Neal Schonn his powerful guitarplay and Aynsley Dunbar his furious drumming, often layered with sensational Minimoog flights or spectacular biting-guitar/flashy Minimoog duels like in People and the great instrumental track Nickel And Dime, how exciting! The keyboard work by Gregg Rolie is very tasteful, ranging from mellow Fender Rhodes electric piano and bombastic Hammond organ runs to spacey keyboards (in the Vangelis-like intro if I Would Find You) and those aforementioned spectacular Minimoog flights.

- After this strong third effort the line-up would change radically, as their sound did!

In the forthcoming weeks I intend to write about The Tubes (compilation 2-CD), The Stranglers (live album with Steve Hillage and Robert Fripp), David Bowie, Love, The Rolling Stones and Dutch bands Golden Earring and Aemen.

The%20Tubes,%20Quay%20Lewd

Clap

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 15:46
Some interesting selections Erik.

There must be a case for Journey and Powell being added to the archives. In Journey's case, the albums which followed appear to be what precludes them for many people.

Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 16:11

Thanks for your post Bob Thumbs%20Up As I said in my previous thread, my intention is not to recommend bands for inclusion but to focus on bands with interesting progressive
elements that have no or only a small chance to be added because mailto:M@X - M@X only want complete discographies. Nonetheless, in my opinion it would be great if mailto:M@X - M@X changes his band addition policy so we can enjoy interesting progressive ideas in music from bands like The Tubes, The Stranglers, Journey and even .. The Bee Gees, check out their first albums Thumbs%20Up Then you become the most interesting Internet source for progressive music!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:09
The whole discography idea should not preclude such bands of course, mailto:M@x - M@x also said that a band should be added if they made one prog album.

The Bees Gees is an interesting one, and would of course cause major debate.Shocked You're right about their early stuff though, especially the "Odessa" double concept album.

Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:21
Bob, I didn't know that mailto:M@X - M@X has said that also 'one progrock album band' can be added (I am very glad about that) but, since surfing on the Forum for many years, I am sure that the opinions about "what is prog" wil vary among the collaborators Wacko ...
And about The Bee Gees, you know your 'classics' Bob Wink !

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:24
Wow - Angel!!!! I taped a copy of one of their albums aeons ago (which I threw away together with my tape deck ages ago). Great band that I haven't heard in years....

Must look for them some time. Thanks for reminding me, Erik!

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: December 06 2007 at 17:27

I have the idea that this thread is coming to live, thanks
                                         Bob and Angelo for posting Thumbs%20Up

By the way, I forgot to mention Jimi Hendrix Embarrassed ...

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 00:59
Hey Erik, Yeah the absence of Hendrix as at least a prog related or proto prog is beyond me. If anyone is interested I will gladly list all the reasons why he is one of the main contributors to this genre. I still think it's a matter of getting beyond his "hits" to his good stuff.

Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 06:26
Well Easy Money, write something about his best work here in this thread. I read a book about JImi in which was mentioned that he lost his (alcoholic) mother when he was 12, he was not allowed to visit the funeral from his father, these traumatic events were sublimated by treating his guitar as a substitute for the lost of his mother and from that time he was almost 24 hours a day busy with playing, making sounds, imitating sounds and you can also feel the anger and despair about the lost of his mother in his sound! I prefer Electric Ladyland, watched the docu DVD Classic Albums about this 2-LP a week ago, I was blown away by the adventurous and creative sound Thumbs%20Up 

Posted By: honganji
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 08:48
I didn't know The Bee Gees made a progressive album! Shocked

By the way, PA doesn't list probably more than 50% artists / bands of my prog collection. Is my collection so obscure?? I don't think so about myself.... Embarrassed 

Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 09:17

Well Honganji, I didn't know that The Bee Gees made prog until a few years ago. On my work one of the patients was an important member of the Dutch The Bee Gees fanclub. He showed me his collection that contained the entire discography, including lots of rarities. He had heard about my fascination for prog and let me listen to the Odessa album, I was very pleasantly surprised that the musicians I used to associate with that horrible disco and those irritating high-pitched vocal harmonies made prog Thumbs%20Up It's worth to check out that Odessa 2-LP:

info: http://music.aol.com/album/odessa/1326 - http://music.aol.com/album/odessa/1326

Genre/Styles : Pop/Rock, Baroque Pop, Psychedelic Pop Approve

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 10:46
Featured a track from this album last night on the radioshow - and reminded myself it is one of the few 80's pop-rock records I can still listen - beside playing Vagabond sparked off more New Model Army requests for next weeks show(LOL). NMA know to be the agig-prop band in the Uk (sort of carrying on in the footsteps of the Edgar Broughton Band), also known for quoting Olivier Cromwell's 17th century republic lines as album or track titles, as with this album. Thunder & Consolation features guest electric  violinist Ed Alleyne Johnson, who the band spotted busking on the street - IMHO I don't think any of his subsequent  3 or 4 of solo album match his performance here.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: honganji
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well Honganji, I didn't know that The Bee Gees made prog until a few years ago. On my work one of the patients was an important member of the Dutch The Bee Gees fanclub. He showed me his collection that contained the entire discography, including lots of rarities. He had heard about my fascination for prog and let me listen to the Odessa album, I was very pleasantly surprised that the musicians I used to associate with that horrible disco and those irritating high-pitched vocal harmonies made prog Thumbs%20Up It's worth to check out that Odessa 2-LP:

info: http://music.aol.com/album/odessa/1326 - http://music.aol.com/album/odessa/1326

Genre/Styles : Pop/Rock, Baroque Pop, Psychedelic Pop Approve

Thanks erik!
I could find it as Japanese CD but it seems not to include one track from original. Cry

Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 18:09
Strange Honganji but I am sure you will find it on the Internet (E-Bay) quite easy Thumbs%20Up By the way, since that moment I heard Odessa I still have to buy it so when I receive my Christmas extra money I will buy it!

Posted By: sircosick
Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 19:08
I know it'll be depending on everyone's perception on what's prog and not. There's an Argentinean band called Pescado Rabioso, leaded by superb composer Spinetta, who gained fame in PA through later bands such Invisible and Spinetta Jade. This band has very interesting stuff; some of it IMO fits in a prog label.

Another mention would be the folk-oriented Lindisfarne, although maybe remotely prog related. Their first album, Nicely Out of Tune, is particularly outstanding.

And, obviously, as I posted in the "Suggest New Bands" section, Brainbox is a solid candidate to be added. Check out their only album, self-titled. Eric should know perfectly what I'm talking about Wink

-------------
The best you can is good enough...

Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 20:26
Sircosick, a few months ago the Dutch TV broadcasted a Jan Akkerman docu, everybody hailed Jan Akkerman and there was also Brainbox footage featuring Jan and that special singer Kaz Luz. And Jan told about a major inspiration: Frank Zappa, that is a wonderful tribute, 14 years after Frank's tragical death!

I know Pescado Rabioso (Angry Fish Wink), a few years ago a friend borrowed me dozens of Argentine prog music that he got for bargain prices and Pescado Rabioso was among those bands, I will check out what I wrote about them.

And indeed, especially here on Prog Archives it's very subjective what can to be considered as prog, just look at the Forum discussions Wacko ...

Date Posted: December 07 2007 at 20:52
I just checked my notes about Pescado Rabioso: they made three albums, their first and third are more bluesrock (like Wishbone Ash) but their second entitled Pescado 2 is more progressive in the vein of early Jane because of the frequent use of the Hammond organ and the compelling atmospheres. So no barriers for a Pescado Rabioso inclusion Wink

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: December 08 2007 at 08:29
I like this idea for a thread Erik. Angel are one of those bands that I always meant to get something by and never got round to it. I do have a couple of Giuffria albums on vinyl though.

Date Posted: December 08 2007 at 10:31

Thanks Paul, posts like yours are a boost for my motivation here on Prog Archvies Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 11:35

A band I thought would be worthy of inclusion in this thread are Patto, from the UK and released their first self titled album in 1970. Formed from the remnants of 60’s band Timebox fusing elements of Rock and Jazz. A strong debut with excellent musicianship, particularly from the staggeringly brilliant Guitarist Ollie Halsall, who has to be heard to be believed. He could also turn his hand to Keyboards and Vibes. Mike Patto on Vocals is a relatively undiscovered English gem.

The album has a pretty dry sounding production with no messing with the basic sound of the band. Highlights include opener The Man which has a great slow build, Red Glow, one of the heavier tracks, Money Bag showing the Jazzier side and Sittin Back Easy which alternates between a laid back verse and heavy chorus. Brilliant stuff and well worth checking out.

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 14:23

Thanks Paul and ... almost literally a mindblowing cover LOL !

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 14:29
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I just checked my notes about Pescado Rabioso: they made three albums, their first and third are more bluesrock (like Wishbone Ash) but their second entitled Pescado 2 is more progressive in the vein of early Jane because of the frequent use of the Hammond organ and the compelling atmospheres. So no barriers for a Pescado Rabioso inclusion Wink

I hope so Clap... Pescado II has, in fact, great moments. The first, called "Desatormentándonos", is purely blues rock as you said. Although I wouldn't say so about the third too, named "Artaud", actually attempted as a Spinetta solo effort, acoustically driven and, as far as I know, the most beloved PR release by argentinean people. Also worth to check.

And what do you think about Lindisfarne, Erik?

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:12
Lindisfarne is a band I have never checked Sircosick, I only know that they were on the Charisma label with Genesis and in the very early Seventies on the same bill on a festival. As I remember their sound is quite mellow and folky oriented. Do you recommend some albums?

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:25
^ ...as I posted in the previous page, their first one, Nicely Out of Tune, seems to be the ultimate Lindisfarne album and perhaps the most prog-oriented; cause as for the next one, Fog on the Tyne, if more commercially succesful, is purely folky music, acoustic oriented.

....And well, when I said "prog-oriented", I meant prog-related or something akin ;)..... or, why not, proto-prog rock; they have strong Beatles' influence. All that folky oriented.

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:37
Sircosick, you are from Chile, a band that is not on Prog Archives is R-U Kaiser, a new band from Chile. This week I received their debut CD entitled Ocelos, it's wonderful symphonic prog but the problem with this band is that they have no own website. Have you heard about this band on the new Chilean  Watcher Records label? See my Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands thread.

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:42
^ I'll do a search on chilean's google now ;)

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:48
Erik, take a look into this: http://www.rukaiser.cl/ - www.rukaiser.cl

It seems still on project for now...... but then check this: http://www.watcher.cl/records.php

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 17:57
I got the demos from the manager of the Watcher Records label, I asked for it because the band has no website and no MP3 files to listen to and every proghead wants to check MP3 files nowadays!

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 18:00
^ Evidently, those are still not available as their homepage isn't running yet Disapprove

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 18:03
But you can check YouTube, R-U Kaiser has 4 recordings!

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 18:05
I have two Patto albums that I've not got around to listening to yet, but I'll try and do so soon.

I know of Halsall from Tempest.

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 18:08
But you can't download them, Eric........ wait..... 4 recordings? Must be the only four songs that their LP Ocelos contains....... I'll check Youtube now.

But for now, not even the chilean Google has further info about this band and logically still less about mp3 files... Sorry! Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2007 at 19:37

GeckO: OK, thanks for the post, we hope to hear from you soon about Patto.

Sircosick: I will mail the manager of Watcher Records about this, thanks for your efforts!

I hope to deliver some reviews about The Tubes, Love and The Stranglers this week.

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 16:38

In the late Seventies I read a Dutch rock magazine and one live picture of The Tubes took my attention because of the keyboardplayer with his huge Moog modular synthesizers. A few weeks later they were on the Dutch TV and I was blown away by their live presentation so when I noticed that The Tubes were touring in Holland I was there in 1979 during the The Tubes Remote Control tour. In my opinion The Tubes are an interesting band to check out but not every album is a pleasant musical experience, that's why I would like to focus on this 2-CD compilation.

THE TUBES – Goin’ Down

- In 1969 The Tubes were founded in the USA city Phoenix by bass player Rick Anderson, guitarist Bill Spooner and keyboard player Vince Welnick under the name The Beans, soon allied with the band The Red, White And Blues featuring drummer Prairie Prince and singer Fee Waybill. Because the musical climate was as boring as the sand in that era, they went to San Fransico and renamed themselves The Tubes. Gradually their live act became hot, inspired by the decadence of the increasing amount of wealthy USA citizens and the huge influence of TV. The rock-theatre of The Tubes turned into a mindblowing blend of cynical lyrics (in the vein of Frank Zappa), shocking stage antics (like Alice Cooper but more sophisticated) and dynamic rock music. All concerts sold out but the record sales were often poor because the public was only interested in The Tubes as a live act. On this 2-CD compilation you can hear that musically The Tubes had a lot to offer, their music scouts the borders between David Bowie, The Rolling Stones and ZZ Top, at their best Art-Rock and at their worst ‘commercial crap’!

CD-1:

This is a very alternating CD: swing time in Up From The Deep, fun in the Spanish inspired Malaguena Salerosa, exciting  rock and roll in Tubes World Tour, hyper-sensual in Don’t Touhc Me There and disco in Slipped My Disco. The legendary song White Punks On Dope has two versions, live with a bluesy intro and studio from the LP The Tubes. The final part of this CD-1 fails to keep my attention in songs like I’m Just A Mess and This Town.

CD-2:

It opens with the entire Remote Control album (1979), produced by Todd Rundgren and we can enjoy his distinctive elements like vocal harmonies, sensational keyboards and a clear and sharp sound recording. My highlights are the propulsive Getoverture (swirling pianowork) and the high speed R&R in Telecide. Lots of songs (like TV Is King and Prime Time) are parodies on the USA TV adddiction but  only half of the album succeeds to generate excitement. The final part of CD2 delivers spectacular live songs (also on the live 2-LP from 1978): Ouverture, Mondo Bondage, Crime Medley, I Was A Punk Before You Were A Punk, I Saw Her Standing There and the (in)famous White Punks On Dope featuring wonderful strings and a great climax, it sounds as symphonic punk!

Despite the aforementioned weak parts on this compilation, this 2-CD contains a lot of interesting progressive material with exciting work on keyboards, excellent lyrics and an often dynamic blend of several styles so “thumbs up for Goin’ Down!

Info: http://www.thetubes.com/disco/down.htm - http://www.thetubes.com/disco/down.htm  

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 18:27
Talking Tubes, one of my favourite pastiches is their rendering of the Beatles I Saw Her Standing There in the style of the The Damned's New Rose - the first punk hit in the UK

-------------
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 05:54
Indeed Dick, I am not a The Beatles fan so I was very surprised to hear that The Tubes covered The Beatles on I Saw Her Standing There Wink
If you want to check out The Tubes on stage, try to get the video Live At The Greek Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I have two Patto albums that I've not got around to listening to yet, but I'll try and do so soon.

Prepare to be blown away Geck0! Wink

Erik, I haven't heard a lot of The Tubes but i do have one album called Inside Out I think. I must admit it's far more mainstream Rock than I would have imagined them to have been. I bought it because I really liked the song She's a Beauty.

Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:43
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Erik, I haven't heard a lot of The Tubes but i do have one album called Inside Out I think. I must admit it's far more mainstream Rock than I would have imagined them to have been. I bought it because I really liked the song She's a Beauty.

The eponymous Patto album is an excellent example of progressive music/underground music experimenting but not quite sure whether to take the heavy rock or  prog rock paths. A real melting pot of ideas musically, from free jazz to blues to rock to folk thrown in and tried out. But of course Patto brought something from their previous existence as Timebox. Love their second album but but you can hear them settling into a musical groove - perhaps aiming to compete with Rod Stewart & The Faces. Mentioned it before, but over the last year it has been revealed that Ollie Halsall auditioned for Allan Holdsworth's guitar seat on Soft Machine (along with Brian Godding), to lose out to John Etheridge.  Alas Jenkins and Ratledge didn't have similar senses of humour......

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:51

Paul, She's A Beauty was an US Top 10 hit but the album Inside Out is quite mainstream rock, I remember that I had to review it for a small Dutch rock magazine when I got it as a promo, I was very disappointed.

Dick, good story, thanks Thumbs%20Up And I love The Sixties, any proghead familiar with The Misunderstood?

This week I hope to review The Stranglers live CD with Steve HIllage and Robert Fripp, I haven't heard it for years!

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 07:09

What about this one?  Golden Earing - Seven Tears. ( 1971 )  Really good album, their hit She Flies On Strange Wings is one of their classic songs. Seven Tears is a very varied, almost eclectic album which has more than enough stuff for people who visit this site. Big%20smile

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 10:44

The Golden Earring and Eclectic Prog, Dutch Tony, that sounds wonderful Approve 

Wikipedia:

Golden Earring is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands - Dutch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music - Hard rock / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music - pop / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal - Heavy metal group that was founded in 1961 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hague - The Hague as the Golden Earrings (the 's' was later dropped).

This is my favorite album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Golden_Earring_-_Switch.jpg">Switch%20cover

Line-up:
  • Bertus Borgers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxophone - saxophone
  • Eelco Gelling - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar - guitar , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_guitar - slide guitar
  • Rinus Gerritsen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar - bass , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harp - harp , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_instrument - keyboard
  • Barry Hay - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flute - flute , vocals
  • George Kooymans - guitar, vocals
  • Robert Jan Stips - keyboard
  • Cesar Zuiderwijk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_instrument - percussion , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drums - drums

Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

The eponymous Patto album is an excellent example of progressive music/underground music experimenting but not quite sure whether to take the heavy rock or  prog rock paths. A real melting pot of ideas musically, from free jazz to blues to rock to folk thrown in and tried out. But of course Patto brought something from their previous existence as Timebox. Love their second album but but you can hear them settling into a musical groove - perhaps aiming to compete with Rod Stewart & The Faces. Mentioned it before, but over the last year it has been revealed that Ollie Halsall auditioned for Allan Holdsworth's guitar seat on Soft Machine (along with Brian Godding), to lose out to John Etheridge.  Alas Jenkins and Ratledge didn't have similar senses of humour......

Soft Machine with Ollie Halsall, now that would have been interesting!

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:06

Kings X have been discussed for inclusion here I believe in the past but haven't made it as yet. Nevertheless, a great band in the Heavy Rock vein with Psychedelic influences and nice Beatles style harmonies,,,,,,and just a hint of Prog. Their debut is a good place to start titled Out of the Silent Planet.

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:12
Good call. And good band. Big%20smile

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:28
I had Brainbox in mind to write about but to my surprise I notice that they are added to Prog Archives as Proto-Prog, well, it's a Dutch band so OK and now we go for Flairck, The Nits and Golden Earring Wink

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:45
Golden Earing would indeed be a longshot.

Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 11:48
Have a listen to a band called Landscape. Great electric and at times even funky stuff from the 80's. The bass player later went on to write the theme tune for The Bill

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:42

This week I intend to write some reviews about Dutch bands Golden Earring and Flairck and ... the promised The Stranglers Live with Steve Hillage and Robert Fripp.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk