URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44283
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 05:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Beyond The Land Of Grey And Pink
Posted By: Leningrad
Subject: Beyond The Land Of Grey And Pink
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 22:34

Beyond The Land Of Grey And Pink

A musical analysis intended to spread awareness and appreciation of the Canterbury Scene

OR

Your New Christmas List

Let's take a walk, shall we?

The Canterbury Scene here on our lovely Prog Archives is, in my opinion, often neglected by the average progster. Sure, you've listened to a Caravan sample on the site and it sounds pretty good. Sure, you could probably find Kent on a map if given a reasonable amount of time. Of course, there are many of us here who disagree with what I am saying right now. "I'm quite the expert on the subject!", you're probably thinking. High praise from few will not make up for the lack of discerning listeners to the subgenre, in my humble opinion.

Thus, I am writing this now to help some lost and clueless progholes discover this fantastic movement. Heck, I'll even show you where to start. (Keep in mind that I'm assuming you know at least a little about the Canterbury Scene's history, as I really don't feel like explaining to you how all this happened. If you have no idea what I'm rambling on about, cleanse thyself here: http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=12 - http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=12 )

Let's start simple.

CARAVAN

Oh, those Sinclair boys!

Known by many to be the tried and true intro to Canterburian music, the band successfully blended elements of psychedelia, jazz and pop into their music, creating an original sound that sounds original even amongst their peers. Occasionally called 'pop-prog', Caravan crafted sounds that were catchy and easy accessible, but still contained amazing musicianship. A trademark of the Canterbury Scene is odd, humorous lyrics, and while this band doesn't overblow this in the way, say, Hatfield and the North did (we'll get to them shortly), there is a subtle wit to their lyrics that isn't overpowering. Caravan is all about melodies, and keyboardist David Sinclair displays his chops without giving in to virtuosic abandon. Because of their accessibility, Caravan should be your first choice for entering this marvelous world (hyperbole).

Recommended Album: In The Land Of Grey And Pink

HATFIELD AND THE NORTH

You may be a bit overwhelmed by these boys if you don't know what you're in for. The Hatties (as nobody calls them) took Caravan's jazzy pschedelia and upped the jazz ante, making Hatfield's music less composition oriented than some of their buddy bands. The band contained bassist/vocalist Richard Sinclair (also of Caravan), as well as former Uriel and Egg keyboardist Dave Stewart, who took the term 'keyboard solo' to stratospheric proportions. Listening to the interplay of the instruments is jolly good fun, as is almost everything about this unique band. Most of their lyrics were enjoyable nonsense, and these guys are so happy-go-lucky that you can even smile during their ballads (case in point, 'Didn't Matter Anyway'). If you're looking for something a tad weirder, here's your boys.

Recommended Album: The Rotter's Club

SOFT MACHINE

I'm not going to lie, the Softs were a bit of an acquired taste for me. Sounding like neither of the previous groups mentioned, Soft Machine is very overtly jazzy and psychedelic, and mixes in avant-garde meanderings into their early albums, most notably 'Third'. Many pioneers would come and go from this line-up, including Daevid Allen of Gong fame (that's called a teaser, folks), Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt. The nonsensical humour of the other bands is nowhere to be found, while improvisation and experimental compositions run amok. For anyone looking for the more serious and somber (well, not really) side to the Canterbury Scene, Soft Machine is a good choice.

Recommended Album: Third

National Health

It saddens me that even a number of die-hard progheads aren't aware of this amazing band. Hatfield and the North is as good a comparison as any (NH contained 3/4 members of that band), although there are a number of stylistic differences that one must be aware of. That sense of humour is still here, though it is toned down a touch. National Health was the baby of Dave Stewart, and he uses the band's albums as a vehicle for his volcanic solos (they reach no greater height than the intro to 'Dreams Wide Awake' off the album 'Of Queues And Cures'). These guys take themselves seriously enough to have plenty of lengthy instrumentals, mostly working off of Stewart and guitarist Phil Miller's interplay, while mixing in (slightly) more exotic instruments such as flute or saxophone. If you're looking for a more complex and bombastic Hatfield and the North, well... you know the drill.

Recommended Album: Of Queues And Cures

Matching Mole

The obvious next step for Soft Machine fans, Matching Mole contained former Softs drummer/vocalist Robert Wyatt. Very jazzy in structure, the band sounds like Soft Machine if they had decided to play more energetic, livelier music, with long jams prevalent across their short-lived career. By their second album, not a single song was a Wyatt composition, so they were not simply a cash-in on his part. The music is driving but loose, lending their albums a good-time jam atmosphere. The random dialogues during the songs are present, so the wit is still there. Recommended, but delve a little bit into other bands first.

Recommended Album: Little Red Record

Gong

Ok, here's where things start to get a bit weird. Picture this: Zero the Hero is minding his own business, when he gets the sudden desire to worship the Pot Head Pixies. He then feeds a cat (who turns out to be a witch), who gives him a magic potion that has him waking up in space. He floats over to the Planet Gong, where he is instructed on how to revolutionize the world. Sound weird? I should certainly hope so. Combining the best of Canterbury and space rock, Gong's mythology would suggest a lyrically oriented band, but it is not so. Many virtuosic players would become a part of this band, including guitarist extraordinare Steve Hillage and the late, great Pierre Moerlen. The music ranges from bouts of silliness ('Pothead Pixies') to space rock mayhem ('A Sprinkling Of Clouds') and later in their career they would take a jazzy direction. With a gigantic discography and multi-album concepts, Gong is sure to keep you busy for a long time.

Recommended Album: You (Radio Gnome Invisible Part 3)

Egg

Another band featuring keyboard maestro Dave Stewart, this early project had tinges of jazz, but was mostly classically influenced, and the band had a few Bach covers in their three-or-so album discography. Driven heavily by Dave Stewart's organ, the band explored different ideas and techniques throughout their career. Not much humour here. Going from style to style even within the span of a single song, Egg was a constanly evolving project, and isn't that what progressive rock is all about?

Recommended Album: The Polite Force

Supersister

One of the most stylistically varied of these groups, Supersister aren't even from the Kentish countryside. In fact, they come from across the water from the Netherlands, and played music ranging from jazz to fusion to pop. The Canterbury sensibility was there, with lots of humourous overtones and organ/piano interplay. Their sound has been compared to Caravan and occasionally even Frank Zappa. On their debut album 'Present From Nancy', flute is a dominant presense, adding to the jazzy atmosphere. These guys weren't copying their English counterparts; they took the basic style and turned it into their own. Guitar is almost non-existant on earlier albums, though the bass and organ is very reminiscent of Soft Machine, from whom Supersister took obvious influence. If you'd like to look at Canterbury from a different angle, I definitely recommend checking out Supersister.

Recommended Album: Present From Nancy

Picchio Dal Pozzo

Another foreign ambassador of the Canterbury Scene, this time hailing from Italy. Sounding more like Gong or Henry Cow than the likes of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or Le Orme, PdP introduced a R.I.O. sensibility to their music, which is most evident on their second album, 'Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi'. While the Canterbury influence is there, they also sound unmistakably Italian, while putting a variety of other styles and influences into the pot, such as fusion and the like. The music, especially on their self-titled first album, is full of soaring wind instruments that float about like seagulls in the breeze. Wind instruments aren't the only things that get the limelight, as organs, horns, guitar and Italian-sung vocals often steal the show. (Trivia - Keyboardist/percussionist/vocalist Aldo De Scalzi's brother Vittorio played with The New Trolls.)

Recommended Album: Picchio dal Pozzo

The Muffins

This criminally underrated American group drew influence from bands such as Soft Machine, Henry Cow and Frank Zappa. Improvisation is a big part of the Muffins sound, which followed in Picchio dal Pozzo's footsteps and added a R.I.O. aesthetic to traditional Canterbury song structures. Jazz rock is also a biggie here. They were only together a few years and released only a small number of albums. They reunited in around 1998, but their strongest effort remains their 1978 debut, 'Manna/Mirage'. This is a charming little band that should not go ignored.

Recommended Album: Manna/Mirage

Cos

Hailing from Belgium, this one of a kind group managed to combine traditional rock and jazz, as well as adding elements of Zeuhl (!) to their playing style. Picture Magma or Zao, but sillier. Shake off any predetermined expectations of the Canterbury sound before listening to this, or you might just have your mind blown. Later in their career, they touched on other musical ideas such as Latin sounds. Mostly unknown, but definitely recommended to Canterbury explorers.

Recommended Album: Viva Boma

Keep in mind this list is not based on any concrete starting point. This is entirely from my personal experience, based on the many Canterbury bands I have enjoyed. I hope I've given you stuff to look for! Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 22:46
Very good Dylan, I had no idea that you knew that much.

Clap

-------------

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

SOFT MACHINE

I'm not going to lie, the Softs were a bit of an acquired taste for me. Sounding like neither of the previous groups mentioned, Soft Machine is very overtly jazzy and psychedelic, and mixes in avant-garde meanderings into their early albums, most notably 'Third'. Many pioneers would come and go from this line-up, including Daevid Allen of Gong fame (that's called a teaser, folks), Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt. The nonsensical humour of the other bands is nowhere to be found, while improvisation and experimental compositions run amok. For anyone looking for the more serious and somber (well, not really) side to the Canterbury Scene, Soft Machine is a good choice.

You need to hear Volume One and Volume Two.  I assure you that there is no shortage of nonsense humor. 

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 22:58
great thread, high time too..

fell in love with Grey and Pink not long ago... National Health's Of Queues and Cures one of the high points of Canterbury, and I'd add Gilgamesh to the list... Egg are superb too, I just picked up the Arzachel album, an LP reissue !

Date Posted: December 10 2007 at 23:03
Of Queues And Cures is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated albums on this site. Sad, because it's incredible.

Arzachel was a precursor to Canterbury because of its personnel, but it's pretty much full blown psychedelia. It's still an excellent album, though!

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 01:58
Clap Well done! And thanks for not forgetting Supersister.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:14
Great work, this blog should be really helpful too all the Canterbury newbies out thereClap

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:31
Clap Excellent! I need to track down some Muffins and Cos. 

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 16:53
Oh.....so Canterbury is a placeConfused

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: December 11 2007 at 17:17
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

LOL Guess they don't teach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Tales - Chaucer in school anymore....

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 07:00
I hadn't even seen this blog before, and I am even part of the Canterbury/JR team!Embarrassed

As much as I love ITLOGAP, my fav Caravan album is probably their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again.... In my opinion, it is even more representative of the band's distinctive sound than its more famous follow-up. It's a pity Richard Sinclair left the band so early in their career - he's easily one of the best singers in rock EVER, and his voice has held up pretty well, especially in comparison with many of his contemporaries.

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

Not to toot my own horn, but if you are interested, I have reviewed both Hatfield and the North's and National Health's albums, as well as Soft Machine's Third and Caravan's first four. One of these days I'll do Khan's too, if I get to really concentrate on the music.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:24
Considering the diversity of music of the bands I am familiar with, there isn't really a particular Canterbury sound. Big%20smile A scene to be seen for sure.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:30
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

LOL Guess they don't teach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Tales - Chaucer in school anymore....

I actually read that book from start to finish. Approve I also read a bit of the original Olde English version. Eugh. That wasn't so easy...

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:46

I actually read that book from start to finish. Approve I also read a bit of the original Olde English version. Eugh. That wasn't so easy...
Geek Actually Shakes, Chaucer is Middle English. Though it is hard to read (it gets easier with exposure, of course), M.E. does share many words with modern English. For Old English, you have to go back even further (for example, Beowulf), and that stuff sounds more Germanic, than English.

Chaucer is taught at the university level, at least here in Canada. (I took a course.) For anyone's interest, the English town of Canterbury was the site of a popular religious shrine in the Middle Ages. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales dates from the 1300s, and takes the form of a bunch of diverse stories (some ribald, some religious, etc.) told by an imaginary, varied group of pilgrims (a miller, a knight, a prioress, etc) to pass the time as they walk to the site.Smile

**********************************************************************************************

On topic, yes, there's some great music in the Canterbury scene. Terrific post! Clap

I like Hatfield and the North & National health, and would include those nifty early Bruford and Brand X albums in there, as well.Thumbs%20Up

I wish "Grey and Pink" wasn't such an expensive import, for me -- I want it! Ouch

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 08:56
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Geek Actually Shakes, Chaucer is Middle English. Though it is hard to read (it gets easier with exposure, of course), M.E. does share many words with modern English. For Old English, you have to go back even further (eg, Beowulf), and that stuff sounds more Germanic, than English.

Chaucer is taught at the university level, at least here in Canada. (I took a course.) For anyone's interest, the English town of Canterbury was the site of a popular religious shrine in the Middle Ages. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales dates from the 1300s, and takes the form of a bunch of diverse stories (some ribald, some religious, etc.) told by an imaginary, varied group of pilgrims (a miller, a knight, a prioress, etc) to pass the time as they walk to the site.Smile

Yes, I actually knew that it wasn't Olde English, it's the just the first thing I thought to call it.

(In olde English, bridge is spelled brycg I think. Smile)

I wish "Grey and Pink" wasn't such an expensive import, for me -- I want it! Ouch

I found it for 20 bucks at a CD store in Toronto. Big%20smile

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 09:04

Grey And Pink

There -- that's better! Wink

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: December 12 2007 at 09:21
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I hadn't even seen this blog before, and I am even part of the Canterbury/JR team!Embarrassed

As much as I love ITLOGAP, my fav Caravan album is probably their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again.... In my opinion, it is even more representative of the band's distinctive sound than its more famous follow-up. It's a pity Richard Sinclair left the band so early in their career - he's easily one of the best singers in rock EVER, and his voice has held up pretty well, especially in comparison with many of his contemporaries.

I'd also like to mention a band that Dylan probably forgot - Khan, featuring Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart. Their only album, Space Shanty, is quite superb (though, unfortunately,  it hasn't yet been re-released in CD format).

Not to toot my own horn, but if you are interested, I have reviewed both Hatfield and the North's and National Health's albums, as well as Soft Machine's Third and Caravan's first four. One of these days I'll do Khan's too, if I get to really concentrate on the music.

Well, to be completely honest, I purchased If I could Do It All Over Again... either the day or day before I wrote this blog, and only gave it a serious listen yesterday! Embarrassed It was definitely good though, and I agree, shows a more diverse Caravan sound than ITLOGAP.

Also, I definitely didn't forget Khan!

I bought Space Shanty the same day I ordered the Caravan album. EmbarrassedLOL

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 07:30
excellent initiativeClap

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 07:38
In honour of this wonderful blog, I'm listening to Caravan's superb The Show of Our Lives... Highly recommended to all lovers of Canterbury!Clap

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 17:24

If you are interested, it actually has been released by the "Eclectic Discs" label as recently as 2005. I believe the newer copies all include 2 bonus tracks as well! Of course, only a limited number of copies are produced at a given time, and due to the album's obscurity I'm sure most of us won't be finding it in any typical record store any time soon.
Anyways, here's some linkage for people looking to find it:
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Shanty-Khan/dp/B0002O39A2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197583999&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Shanty-Khan/dp/B000BYRA4O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197583999&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000584TJ/sr=8-3/qid=1197583999/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1197583999&sr=8-3&seller=

-------------

Posted By: LARKSTONGUE
Date Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:04
Thanks for this excellent overview.Smile

-------------
        ^        ^

(((        I        )))

The fact is, no matter how

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: December 14 2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

You need to hear Volume One and Volume Two.  I assure you that there is no shortage of nonsense humor. 

This is absolutely true. I love the sublime VOLUME TWO especially because of its dadaist humor!

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:49

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

You sure about that? I could have sworn I saw it in J&R in New York last time I was there...I'll have to check it out again sometime.

you probably did... in case you didn't not see it later after her post.... I guess it has been re-released in CD format.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:42
Ah yes, sorry I missed your post ClassicRocker. Really gotta start reading all the way through threads...

Anyway great list. I recently got Cos - Viva Boma and its fantastic. I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

I also have to recommend Quiet Sun - Mainstream, also listed under Canterbury Scene here.

Also an excellent one. Although, the Canterbury Scene is fairly limited, and I kept the list fairly small as though not to cover the entire subgenre!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:50
Very informative, Dylan, great job.  My recent foray into Canterbury has yielded huge dividends.  Pretty much all I play in the car right now is Gong and Soft Machine (I also do have Caravan "Grey and Pink" which is quite good).  Looking to try and get some Hatfield for Christmas, I'd also like to grab that Khan album because Hillage is awesome, some Robert Wyatt, and probably National Health.

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:54
Pat... you will love this... trust me. 

I think it is better than In the Land of Grey and Pink.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:55
and can't go wrong with Hatfield and the North.. I love the first.. and Raff loves the second LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

It's on the list to be sure...right now "In the Land of Grey and Pink" is growing on me a little, but as of now I sort of put it at a 3.5 star level....it's a quality album, but when placed against masterpieces like Gong's "You" and Soft Machine's "Third"....just doesn't seem to occupy that tier.  I only mention it because I've often seen the album praised as a masterpiece of the genre.

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 22:59

After repeated listenings this week, I'm inclined to agree.

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

It's on the list to be sure...right now "In the Land of Grey and Pink" is growing on me a little, but as of now I sort of put it at a 3.5 star level....it's a quality album, but when placed against masterpieces like Gong's "You" and Soft Machine's "Third"....just doesn't seem to occupy that tier.  I only mention it because I've often seen the album praised as a masterpiece of the genre.

I much prefer that Caravan album to 'Grey and Pink'.   I think you may  as well Clap

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2007 at 23:09

After repeated listenings this week, I'm inclined to agree.

it just hit me like a ton of bricks on the first listen....  even now....I'll be at work or something and 'For Richard' will come into my mind from nowhere and I'll be playing that in my mind for the rest of the day.  I  think it is a better piece of music than NIne Feet Underground.  Though.. that's just me. 

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 20:36

I want to ask for it for Christmas but... the title.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 22:37
Oh, btw, what a scam! I just got the self-titled National Health album off iTunes for $3.99! Of Cures and Queues is only $5.99, I'll probably grab that next.

Oo, and Soft Machine's Third is $3.99 as well. iTunes, you screw-ups!

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: December 23 2007 at 11:28

and can't go wrong with Hatfield and the North.. I love the first.. and Raff loves the second LOL

I have to dissagree with you 2 times here, The first Hatfield album is great but the second is a masterpice, same with Caravan "do it all over you" is a realy good album but "Grey and pink" is a masterpice imo. Smile Sry but your wife > you, in musical taste atleast. Wink

EDIT: Ohh.. and great Canterbury guid/list http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=9805&FID=58 - Chameleon ! I got albums by the big bands Caravan, Soft machine, Hatfield and the north and Gong my next investigations will be The Egg and National health your descriptions of them made me very excited to get some albums by em very soon. Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2007 at 08:09
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I have to dissagree with you 2 times here, The first Hatfield album is great but the second is a masterpice, same with Caravan "do it all over you" is a realy good album but "Grey and pink" is a masterpice imo. Smile Sry but your wife > you, in musical taste atleast. Wink

LOL  hahahhah.. you are wise beyond your years... the wife is the brains ...the talent.. and the taste between the two of us...I'm just the big mouth hahhaha

-------------

Posted By: Chunga's Moustache
Date Posted: December 31 2007 at 10:01
While I recognize that many people prefer Softs Machine Thirds, I myself enjoy Volumes 1 & 2.  I would also say that from the description of Canterbury that you give, Volumes 1 & 2 are more representative of the sub genre.  Along the same lines, I find Matching Mole's first album to be more Canterbury-y (if that means anything).

I would also give some love to Robert Wyatt and Kevin Ayers' solo work.  Kevin Ayers's Joy of a Toy is a great place to start.

Date Posted: January 01 2008 at 12:58

Ok, on my trip to Maui for the past ten days, I took it upon myself to indulge in copious amounts of Canterbury. While much of it was bands already covered on these pages, one band in particular stuck out. And when I say stuck out, I mean blew my mind.

They've already been mentioned, but here they are anyway:

KHAN

From the opening notes of Space Shanty, it might not seem as though you're listening to the eponymous debut album of Canterbury superstars. You could be listening to Sabbath or Deep Purple for all the intro shows you! Don't be fooled. This is heavy, jazzy, bluesy Canterbury at its finest. For one thing, Steve Hillage is on guitar. If that's not enough for you, you've also got Dave Stewart on keys. Do you even care who the other guys are? Most of the songs on their lone album are composed by Hillage, and the interplay between him and Stewart really shines here. Long solos are prevalent (but welcome). This may not be the most... Canterbury of the bands I've listed, but they've got quite enough of it. Khan could serve as an excellent bridge into the more explicitly mental stuff like National Health. Anyone interested is highly recommended to pick up Space Shanty.

Recommended Album: While the choice is overwhelming, I'm gonna have to go with Space Shanty.

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 16:21
This is a great blogg to pick up a few ideas for the next album to obtain.
Noticed Henry Cow is not listed under Canterbury in Prog Archives genre's.They certainly have the sound in their more straight  forward pieces.Perhaps a bit too far out musically?
what's your oppinion on this?

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 16:28

Ok, on my trip to Maui for the past ten days, I took it upon myself to indulge in copious amounts of Canterbury. While much of it was bands already covered on these pages, one band in particular stuck out. And when I say stuck out, I mean blew my mind.

They've already been mentioned, but here they are anyway:

KHAN

From the opening notes of Space Shanty, it might not seem as though you're listening to the eponymous debut album of Canterbury superstars. You could be listening to Sabbath or Deep Purple for all the intro shows you! Don't be fooled. This is heavy, jazzy, bluesy Canterbury at its finest. For one thing, Steve Hillage is on guitar. If that's not enough for you, you've also got Dave Stewart on keys. Do you even care who the other guys are? Most of the songs on their lone album are composed by Hillage, and the interplay between him and Stewart really shines here. Long solos are prevalent (but welcome). This may not be the most... Canterbury of the bands I've listed, but they've got quite enough of it. Khan could serve as an excellent bridge into the more explicitly mental stuff like National Health. Anyone interested is highly recommended to pick up Space Shanty.

Recommended Album: While the choice is overwhelming, I'm gonna have to go with Space Shanty.

Yes, I really, REALLY need to get that album, because my first exposure to Dave Stewart (Hatfield & the North s/t) blew me away; at this point I just conclude that Canterbury rules, 'nuff said.

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 18:27
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

This is a great blogg to pick up a few ideas for the next album to obtain.
Noticed Henry Cow is not listed under Canterbury in Prog Archives genre's.They certainly have the sound in their more straight  forward pieces.Perhaps a bit too far out musically?

what's your oppinion on this?

They do have their leanings, but in my opinion, only really on Leg End. Listen to any of their other recordings, the influence isn't very visible. They're one of my favorite bands, though.

Yes, I really, REALLY need to get that album, because my first exposure to Dave Stewart (Hatfield & the North s/t) blew me away; at this point I just conclude that Canterbury rules, 'nuff said.

After getting The Rotter's Club (my personal favorite of the two), you're definitely going to want to check out National Health's Of Queues And Cures next. Their first is excellent as well, but that one was a slap in the face. It's like Hatfield on speed.

Posted By: Mike Giles
Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 23:49
CARAVAN RULES

-------------
Nothing he's got, he really needs. Twenty first century schizoid man.

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 23:51
Originally posted by Mike Giles Mike Giles wrote:

CARAVAN RULES

There's a start. LOL

Posted By: Mike Giles
Date Posted: February 12 2008 at 00:36
lol, im not a guy who would spend hours writing an enormous paragraph to
express my opinion, i am more like to give a general idea! Sleepy

-------------
Nothing he's got, he really needs. Twenty first century schizoid man.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 03:13
Originally posted by Mike Giles Mike Giles wrote:

lol, im not a guy who would spend hours writing an enormous paragraph to
express my opinion, i am more like to give a general idea! Sleepy

-------------

Posted By: camelspotter
Date Posted: February 23 2008 at 14:18
well all that is nice!! National Health, Hatfield and the North are TRUE GEMS!!! but u forgot

ISOTOPE, GILGAMESH, SOFT HEAD and SOFT HEAP, EGG and ARZACHEL, and the one and only {GOWEN,
SINCLAIR, MILLER, TOMKINS }album

Canterbury scene is trully magnifficent!!

and then u have AIN SOPH and KENSO both from japan in the 80's deeply influenced from this scene!

-------------
Just slow yourself down

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: February 23 2008 at 15:15
Just dropping in to say I love Canterbury, but now I'm eagerly awaiting a next verse.

I feel like I explored them all, and most were great, but isn't there a next of kin we all should know about.

basically we all know Caravan, Gong, Soft Machine, Egg, Khan, National Health, Hatfield& the North etc. but there must be some real gems hidden within the confines of singular knowledge, so thank you Camelspotter for your recomendations.

But are there current bands reviving the Canterbury scene musically??

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:07
*thread necromancy*

Probably because of this thread, I've just recently picked up a few of the more obvious Canterbury albums. Felt it deserved a revival, since they were all great.

Date Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:11
Rob - I started a Canterbury appreciation thread that has long since died.  If you wish to resurrect that one as well, I'll be happy to talk Canterbury with you until I'm blue in the face.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:26

Rob - I started a Canterbury appreciation thread that has long since died.  If you wish to resurrect that one as well, I'll be happy to talk Canterbury with you until I'm blue in the face.

Will do. I fear for my wallet ConfusedLOL

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: June 02 2008 at 11:48
Funny enough my Fav Canterbury album is Canterbury Tales i know its a best of but the live version of
For Richard is simply Stunning  , my Caravan Vinyl collection is some my most prized records in my Collection,   

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 02 2008 at 17:57
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Funny enough my Fav Canterbury album is Canterbury Tales i know its a best of but the live version of
For Richard is simply Stunning  , my Caravan Vinyl collection is some my most prized records in my Collection,   

Ditto that, the Canterbury Tales vinyl is a mint pressing and fine compilation

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 00:39
I'll get to a proper artist bio soon enough (tomorrow), but I'd like to recommend that you all listen to Spirogyra. I don't care that they're called Canterbury by association, you all need to hear Bells, Boots And Shambles.

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 09:59

I'll get to a proper artist bio soon enough (tomorrow), but I'd like to recommend that you all listen to Spirogyra. I don't care that they're called Canterbury by association, you all need to hear Bells, Boots And Shambles.

Listen to Chameleon for he speaketh the truth.  Clap

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 12:26
I got St Radigunds a couple of months ago, for a hefty € 20, and didn't regret the expense at all... Great album, slightly reminiscent of Comus, though not by any means so dark and disturbing, and wonderful vocals by Barbara Gaskin.

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 12:58

Love this album seeing as it hasn't  seen  my Turntable for a good few years  i think i will put that right

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 12:59

I got St Radigunds a couple of months ago, for a hefty € 20, and didn't regret the expense at all... Great album, slightly reminiscent of Comus, though not by any means so dark and disturbing, and wonderful vocals by Barbara Gaskin.

I recently ordered their box set but it's backordered...I won't see it for another month yet.  Cry

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 18:26
I'm a cantebury newbie, I've been listening to a lot of Caravan, Egg, and Gong lately though, very good sub-genre Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 21:33

I know there from Wales but this album to me anyway has that Canterbury  feel to it
or am i nutts ????

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: June 10 2008 at 07:15
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

I know there from Wales but this album to me anyway has that Canterbury  feel to it
or am i nutts ????

Afraid you're nuts. Too laid back and uncomplicated for Canterbury - Man were said once to be Britain's Allman Brothers. Is there an hint of country rock? But perhaps more the case Man would jam all night long apparently as the Allamns did once upon a time.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: June 10 2008 at 12:21
Lol Yeah I thought so, must of been the Jazz Ciggies   

-------------

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: September 25 2008 at 16:38
good writing my friend!

-------------

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 14:17
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

I listen to a lot of what you've just listed.  But my god, I cannot find Of Ques and Cures.  I can't even download it!

Pretty sure the first two NH can be found on emusic.

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 14:17
I listen to a lot of what you just listed.  But my god, for the life of me I can not track down National Health- Of Queues and Cures. I can't even download it!

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 14:21
Not sure how my response ended up above your query, but anyways... Confused

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 14:40
You can find it on iStore as well.

'Cos I just bought it.

BAMPARAMPANBAM!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk