Forum Description: Performance Reviews by Members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44467
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 19:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hawkwind - 'Space Days' - Exeter Phoenix Dec 2007
Posted By: sonic_assassin
Subject: Hawkwind - 'Space Days' - Exeter Phoenix Dec 2007
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 10:48
It's Hawkwind again!  It's always a bit of a lottery whether they'll be good or not, and the feedback I got after this gig was mainly ratings of so-so or poor. But some folks thought it was great !

Hawkwind%20Exeter%202007

There’s no doubt that many in the audience enjoyed the show. Sadly, there’s also no doubt that many thought it was a poor gig. I canvassed four people who I’ve known for years and whose judgement on Hawkwind I know to be sound, and over 15 other people outside the venue and around 1 in 5 of them rated it as good.

I approached one bunch group of people and told them I was writing up the gig for a website. “What did you folks think of it,” I asked. One of them entheused about it, but the others shrugged or laughed.

One old rocker was not short of a few words. He said that Hawkwind have lost the ability to engage with the audience; they no longer pay any heed to how the audience is responding. He said something to the effect that they have a plan beforehand and doggedly stick to it, and the audience can just take it or leave it.

Personally, I rather agree with that analysis. Energy is a two-way process, a bit like England football fans not getting behind the team, because the team aren’t delivering. The team should give you something to cheer about, and the fans should cheer anyway. Well, we cheered, but the band (for many of us) didn't deliver.

One bunch, when I asked them what they thought, initially didn’t reply. It seemed they didn’t like to commit the heresy of criticising a Hawkwind gig. “A good set-list,” one of them tentatively offered. (That’s a bit like describing someone’s CV as “nicely typed.”)

One guy became indignant about the lack of Space Ritual style stuff. In fairness to the band, that was just rumour: nobody officially said the gig was going to be a 1972 performance and I never imagined that Dave Brock would revert to 10-minute riffing.

As it turned out, I could hardly hear any guitaring from Brock during the performance.  I stood in several different places, too. Orgone was done in the same style as Hawkestra 2000 – a crude banging beat and in a jaunty style that makes a mockery of the track. Sonic Attack was a pointless mess. They’d tried to liven it up with a sort of rhythm, but I thought it was crap. Silver Machine was pretty good, and Flying Doctor went down very well with the audience. 

Redeeming feature? - the lights and visual displays were pretty good, as you'd expect.

Replies:
Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 14:48
I haven't seen them lately, but I must say I like the photo of their recent concerts. I especially liked this ones:

If you think Tim Blake is just waving his hands in the air in these pics: Wrong! The instrument in front of him is a theremin, the only instrument that is played without being touched. A theremin player always looks as if he is making sounds by dancing.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: sonic_assassin
Date Posted: December 21 2007 at 22:02
hey those are good pix!

I noticed sometimes Tim was waving his hand around and there was no corresponding sound from the theramin. I saw a post on another forum that accused them of performing to tapes, but I think it was for real.

I just think it should have been turned up louder in the mix. Spacey bits!! Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk