Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44484
Printed Date: May 29 2024 at 10:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thick as a Brick vs Wish You Were Here
Posted By: The Pessimist
Subject: Thick as a Brick vs Wish You Were Here
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:05
Now I wanna get this straight amongst all you forum members.

I've seen the title of the most popular prog album chop and change between these two contestants on this site, but which one is the proggiest?

please leave comments, thank you :-)

Replies:
Posted By: proglil49
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:13

To me, TAAB is more of a concept album, and WYWH is more of a standart prog album. Now, which one between the two is proggier, that's a hard question. I think it's TAAB, not sure why, though.

-------------
I want to be an astronaut

Posted By: cookieacquired
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:15
TAAB is dauntingly excessive, pompously overblown, subtly tongue-in-cheek, musically amorphous. In other words, proggerieness is all there with it

TAAB

-------------

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:17
This thread is done at least once a week.
And I always go with TaaB for it's the best album of all time.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:26
eh, you posted this twice, so I'll post this twice:

Wish You Were Here by far. Thick as a Brick is a good album but is way overrated here. WYWH is an incredible album, one of the best ever, every song is nearly perfect, so many chilling parts musically and lyrically. TAAB is kind of goofy to be honest, I don't know why it's so highly rated. I have the sinking feeling that it's because the whole album is one song.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 16:30
by "which one is the proggiest", he means "which do you prefer", don't vote for the one you don't like as much because it sounds proggier, jeez...

Posted By: Nowhere Man
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 17:46
Love them both, but it has to be TAAB for me.

-------------

Posted By: Okocha
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 18:56
TAAB of course

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 19:02
a prog folk disc, and a space prog disc, two completely different styles.

still, i prefer Wish you were here

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 19:33
Wish You Were Here

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 20:52
Wish You Were Here...perfection at its highest.

Posted By: PROGMONSTER2008
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 20:52
TAAB easily. Amazing song writing and musicianship. WYWH is just a good album but no where near TAAB. Pink Floyd don't make my top 70s prog bands, but Tull are my fave :)

Posted By: Imadofus
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 21:10
Wish You Were Here. It is almost perfect, full of "goosebump moments". Thick as a Brick is good, but a little tiring. And I also feel that people like it so much mainly because it's only one song.

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz

Not to say that "Wish You Were Here" is a bad album, I just thought it could have been better. Also, I was extremely disappointed with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", especially after all the stuff that I had heard about it. It takes 50 years to get going, and I do not like the lyrics. (Yes, I am aware that they are about Syd Barrett, may he R.I.P., but I felt that they could have put it another way, and I do not like the way the lyrics are sung in places)

Posted By: el böthy
Thick as a brick is perfect, but only Side 1... Wish you were here is perfect through out the... 45 min is it?

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 21:13
Thick As A Brick... and not because it's all one song either (like someone above suggested!) The songwriting is great, the transitions are great.. I can't think of one negative thing to say about it. Wish You Were Here is a very good album as well, but I don't care for "Have A Cigar" that much, so it loses out by a hair.

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 21:17
I went with the Floyd. The first album that I heard in quadraphonic sound.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 21:32
Thick as a Brick wins between these two easily.   I'm not very fond of Tull, but I can admit that this and Aqualung are both quality discs.  

I do like Floyd, but Wish You Were Here is probably my least favorite of their classic era albums (DSOTM to The Wall.)

If there were any justice in the world, this would be a Close To The Edge/Foxtrot poll instead.

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: December 16 2007 at 21:49
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

If there were any justice in the world, this would be a Close To The Edge/Foxtrot poll instead.

That thread has been done even more than this one! Ouch

Posted By: dave-the-rave
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 00:19
By the way, which one's Jethro?

Posted By: Sckxyss
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 01:56

The topic question asks what's your favourite, but your post asks what's the proggiest Confused. Oh well, either way, it's TAAB for me, but only by a bit.

Posted By: TheMadCap
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 07:59
Thick as a Brick has too many boring parts that could easily be cut out imo but Wish You Were Here is great all the way through

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 08:27
TaaB is a good prog album but WYWH is probably one of the few perfect prog music works of the history!!! I think there is no contest,WYWH is by far a better album under any point of view!

Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: paloz
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 09:31
Pink Floyd, not being (in my opinion) a real PROG band, but "easier" under some points of view, would not be voted in this poll. If I had to choose the proggier one, surely Thick As A Brick, if I had to choose the BEST of the two, I couldn't answer.
Wish you were here was my first good rock experience, then Thick as a brick was love at first hearing. Really can't decide, but as I said, I'll vote Jethro tull

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 10:35
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: December 17 2007 at 10:43
I think that TAAB is proggier, but I much prefer Wish You Were Here

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 01:27
Wish is a stout album, and fairly proggy by Floyd standards (and especially by "prog sound" standards that most albums are judged).

However, Thick is Thick, and shall probably remain so until the end of time. I've recently come to the decison that it's my favorite song ever. Cheap shot, eh? Gotta love prog.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Prayermad
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 03:48
Wish You Were Here is one of my favourites by PF, perhaps even a 5 star album. but Thick as a Brick... It's the greatest thing ever written.

Posted By: Casartelli
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 04:41
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

The topic question asks what's your favourite, but your post asks what's the proggiest Confused.
I disliked that part as well...

I'll only answer the first question: WYWH. The first two parts of SYOCD almost redefines what beauty is about, which is not to suggest that there is a dull moment to find somewhere else on the disc: there isn't.

Needless to say TAAB is a great album as well, but just not as great as WYWH.

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 04:58
(shakes head at the results)

TAAB, definitely. I got bored with Pink Floyd pretty quickly, especially with WYWH.

Posted By: PROGMONSTER2008
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 06:01
WYWH is not in the same league as TAAB. The title song and Have a cigar are blande. The diamonds drag on. Welcome to the machine is the best song on the album. None of the Floyd members are overly talented either. They always stuck to the mellow simpler prog because they weren't not capable of writing or playing complex and exciting prog 

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 06:03
Heh, I agree with the above post pretty much all the way, having them both here on vinyl, I must say Thick as a Brick is the only of the two that goes around in my player frequently. also, I played it to my girlfriend and she said it was good. Ain't I lucky or what ;)

Posted By: Urs Blank
Date Posted: December 19 2007 at 10:12
TaaB, as a concept album, is surely more proggy, but  Wish You Where Here remains The best key to get into the true beautiful music.

-------------
Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk