Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45479
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 21:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anime appreciation thread~!
Posted By: laplace
Subject: Anime appreciation thread~!
Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 21:43
Let's discuss the wonderful world of japanese animation. Although this is an "appreciation" thread, you can still come in here to voice critical opinions of the shows (if not the viewers!) =)

I'll go first; mostly I love the romantic side of things, both happy and sad. Fruits Basket and Clannad are my current favourites but I have just as many pleasures rooted in the girlier shows. Next, I can't resist certain comedies, although it looks like I've only just begun to adventure here and am most familiar with the ones everyone should know - Azumanga Daioh and FLCL. Less laplace-like, I can be in the mood for horror or introspective, science-fiction-type drama and from here I'd recommend Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and When Cicadas Cry (which straddles the line between horror and romantic comedy so I love it all the more.) As in music, I stay away from the more action-oriented brands. ;)

I'm only a journeything in the world of anime so if anyone more immersed has any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them. =)

(I'm sorry if there was a previous anime thread; I tried to search for them but the server simply won't behave.)

Replies:
Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 23:02
FLCL

/thread

or not

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it....I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

-------------

Posted By: horse feathers
Date Posted: January 19 2008 at 23:42
I love FLCL (can't you tell?).

Other fav anime include Cowboy Bebop, Desert Punk, GTO, Fushigi Yugi etc etc.....and Miyazaki's films.

I love almost any manga.  I'm not really into vampire/goth stuff though.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 08:06
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it... I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

I liked Akira and I remember that the plot is followable from the action alone other than during a few surreal moments. I certainly prefer it to most live action thrillers. =)

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:55
While I like some comics, somehow anime is not for me. The contrast between the at times violent plot and the childlike faces is too much for me. Even if there is no violent plot I simply can't get over these faces.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 13:58
Count me in as another FLCL fan (well it's so hard not to be!). I'm also a big fan of Hellsing (though the manga is inifitely better than either of the anime adaptations, IMHO), Keroro Gunso (a.k.a. Sgt. Frog in the west) and Cowboy Bebop.

For me, and I imagine a lot of people, anime is the perfect thing to switch off your brain to. I'm not a big fan of anime which tries too hard to be clever, profound or in any way important. I gave Ergo Proxy a go the other day and was NOT impressed. Yes, it looked pretty, but it just wasn't worth the effort! Give me a couple of robots pointlessly smashing the hell out of each other and some crazy-haired girls with massive guns any day!

Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:38
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

For me, and I imagine a lot of people, anime is the perfect thing to switch off your brain to. I'm not a big fan of anime which tries too hard to be clever, profound or in any way important. I gave Ergo Proxy a go the other day and was NOT impressed. Yes, it looked pretty, but it just wasn't worth the effort! Give me a couple of robots pointlessly smashing the hell out of each other and some crazy-haired girls with massive guns any day!

Really? I prefer anime that makes me cry. =)

I gave up after the third episodes of Ergo Proxy and of Dennou Coil because they were too self-consciously clever and gimmicky. It's a shame.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:08
Pokemon and Shin Chan. Other than that, just no. The Boondocks don't count.

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: January 20 2008 at 21:08
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

what are people's thoughts on Akira? I've heard good things about it... I saw a short part of it on a Chinese bootleg (you read right, Chinese) so the language was doubly b*****dized to where it made no sense (there was a line like "YOU ARE ANGRY CAR NOW" or along those lines)

I liked Akira and I remember that the plot is followable from the action alone other than during a few surreal moments. I certainly prefer it to most live action thrillers. =)

Akira's excellent. It took two views and a wikipedia check to get what happened, but it's great nonetheless. Brilliant animation.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: January 21 2008 at 00:27
Not really the mode of entertainment that excites me too much. Last year, our foreign film cinema screened an Anime festival which spanned the whole week. I brought tickets for the week intrigue by the whole phenomenon which my ex-gf had been so tied up in - hoping to be impressed. Overall I was quite disappointed, but found Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai to have a lasting impression. From memory this was the a sequel in the Ghost in the Shell series. So far I have failed to pursue the earlier incarnations of the show; besides the first movie I believe there was a TV series.

Next time I have a bout of insomnia I will follow up some of the recommendation within this thread.    

Date Posted: January 21 2008 at 00:42
the problem people have with it is that the fans usually put it on a higher pedestal than other forms of art simply because it's anime, rather than just another story telling medium. The bigger problem is that many shows as of late seem to believe this as well and make me want to die
shows that follow this:
Naruto
Yugioh
Inuyasha

shows that are kiiinda like this but hilarious so its forgivable
Pokemon
Dragonball Z

I'd have to say the one I enjoyed thoroughly all the way through was Miyazaki's "Spirited Away". It was hard to follow, but didn't follow all too many cliches and was a trip

-------------

Posted By: Hirgwath
Date Posted: January 21 2008 at 01:32
My icon is a symbol from Neon Genesis Evangelion...but I would have to say Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime series. GiTS comes in third, after NGE.

I don't think anything beats Cowboy Bebop in terms of style, characters, or soundtrack, though NGE has a really wild plot.

-------------

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: January 21 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

While I like some comics, somehow anime is not for me. The contrast between the at times violent plot and the childlike faces is too much for me. Even if there is no violent plot I simply can't get over these faces.

There is a fair amount of variation in anime character design.

Monster

Akagi

Cowboy Bebop

Anyway, I'm a big anime fan. My favourite shows are, in rough order:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2.�Cowboy�Bebop
3. Death Note
4. Code Geass: The Lelouch Rebellion
5. Monster
6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
7.�Akagi
8. Elfen Lied
9. Haibane Renmei
10.�GANTZ

Or�something�like�that.

And films:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. 5 Centimeters Per Second
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
6.�Perfect�Blue
7. Princess Mononoke
8. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
9. Ghost in the Shell
10. Spirited Away

-------------

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: January 22 2008 at 07:00
Akira is a great Anime, but if you even liked that the slightest bit, you HAVE to read the Manga. It is many times better, it is absolutely stunning. Great plot, great dreawing, the anime is literally about.. 10% of the Manga storyline. I highly recommend it.

I also love most of Studio Ghibli's works. Obviously all the classic Miyazaki, but also "Whisper of the heart" and "Grave of the Fireflies". Spirited away and Mononoke Hime are my favourites, though.

Right now i'm watching "Silver Fang", and i think i have legend of the overfiend somewhere aroung here... Wink (a friend burned it to me. He's totally into tentacle hentai)

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Date Posted: January 22 2008 at 12:51
I wonder if anyone could recommend a starting point to a total newcomer - or to someone who has become convinced that anime is not for them without actually watching any? All we have so far are lists. ;)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: January 22 2008 at 17:12
Well... it all rather depends on what you like in the way of films, books, TV, etc. Anime boasts as broad a range of genres as any other medium, albeit with certain stylistic codes of its own (every single one of which can and has been broken in certain cases!).

Mind you, you can NEVER go wrong with the films of Miyazaki. I dare anyone with a human heart to watch Spirited Away and not be utterly enthralled.

Date Posted: January 22 2008 at 17:47
If you like action and samurai, i highly recommend the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's.
If you like action and post-apocalypse, then Akira (preferably the manga).
If you like epic and touching, watch anything by Miyazaki.
If you like touching and mundane, then there are tons of animes about kids crying you can be sad with.
If you like funny and cool, then cowboy bebop is your best bet.
If you like 12 year old ninjas and nunchuks with the power to fry the entire planet, try Naruto.
If you don't like anime at all, get "Ghost world" by Daniel Clowes.

So there are a lot of options for you, Laplace, however.. if you like purple-haired girls getting their orifices stuffed with slimy tentacles from monsters with a thousand arms or flying bat-like monsters shooting laser with their joysticks whilst parting people in two or less pieces before coitus whilst the Nazis are trying to take over the world with help from their giant "death rape machine" then... there's really only "Legend of the overfiend.

-------------

Posted By: Kim Ankara
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 07:35
Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

I don't think anything beats Cowboy Bebop in terms of style, characters, or soundtrack

Clap

My favourite, followed by Trigun. Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favourite movies.

Interestingly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_Crisis_Tokyo_2040 - BGC 2040 have a few episodes named after prog albums. Big%20smile

-------------

"I'm a dinosaur" - Adrian Belew

"I am a camera" - Trevor Horn

"I am yourself" - Keith Emerson

Posted By: EnglishAssassin
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:56
I'm only a newcomer to anime - though I'm an avid reader of comics - but I finally got around last week to watching Princess Mononoke, primarily for the Neil Gaiman connection, and would heartily second the recommendation for that; it's simply a wonderful film.  I mean to try some of the other Studio Ghibli stuff like Spirited Away, but could anybody recommend something else in the same style?

Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 13:00
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

If you like action and samurai, i highly recommend the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's.
If you like action and post-apocalypse, then Akira (preferably the manga).
If you like epic and touching, watch anything by Miyazaki.
If you like touching and mundane, then there are tons of animes about kids crying you can be sad with.
If you like funny and cool, then cowboy bebop is your best bet.
If you like 12 year old ninjas and nunchuks with the power to fry the entire planet, try Naruto.
If you don't like anime at all, get "Ghost world" by Daniel Clowes.

So there are a lot of options for you, Laplace, however.. if you like purple-haired girls getting their orifices stuffed with slimy tentacles from monsters with a thousand arms or flying bat-like monsters shooting laser with their joysticks whilst parting people in two or less pieces before coitus whilst the Nazis are trying to take over the world with help from their giant "death rape machine" then... there's really only "Legend of the overfiend.

Oh hmm, I know most of those. I see that non-action anime isn't getting much appreciation so far. ;P

I haven't seen Legend of the Overfiend but I've seen Inma Seiden and that seemed to be in a similar vein.

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:41
I like non-action, but it's just that most non actions seem to be overtly sentmental. Either that or they're "Love Hina", which i just can't stand.
One that didn't, however, was Last Exile, but i guess you know that one as well.
I haven't really dug deep into anime, i guess i got turned off by my last two adventures into anime-land (Love hina and Kimi ga nozomu eien which, while not that bad, was too typically sentimental in a pretty annoying way). Plus i got turned on by grown up comics when i found some really good swedish ones which suited my style more than anime. Plus i love "ghost world". Essential reading for everyone.

However, i don't think that sort of stuff has support enough around here to make an appreciation thread about.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2008 at 21:15
Yes, with some of the more shameless romantic animes you may as well be watching Disney. I hoped to guide people or be lead to the more classy examples...

My latest flirtation has been with Vampire Princess Miyu which has drama, action, romance and the inescapable sadness of futility. Aw. =)

-------------

Posted By: Gamemako
Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Although this is an "appreciation" thread, you can still come in here to voice critical opinions of the shows (if not the viewers!) =)

Oh Lord. Should I? I mean, this could get messy.

-------------
Hail Eris!

Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 08:59
And that reminds me. FINAL FANTASY VII IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

"Noo, why, Aeris will never laugh again, never cry, never be alive and happy.."
"Hahaha.. you... are... A PUPPET!"
"...NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!"

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 19:37
i lol'd at her death

is there something wrong with me?

do i care if there is?

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2008 at 04:35
No, you are just young.

-------------

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: March 31 2008 at 22:58
My first AMV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0PnP1C_Lj0

I'm shamlessly plugging this in every forum I can think of. Not something I would ordinarily do, but as it's the first one I've ever made, and it turned out quite well, I'm really proud of it and want to share it with as many people as possible.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2008 at 14:48
I have a working theory
that if a band exists
there exists a song for that band in AMV form on youtube
I've noticed there are some lacking examples of older prog bands

hmmm? PA? hmmmmmmm?Shocked

-------------

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 15:30

Anyone saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes , thats a very good series with an intresting plot.

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 17:55

Well, as of series, I've seen Love Hina and Urusei Yatsura both from beginnign to the end, and I loved them both. Enough to watch all the episodes at least. They're pretty different, UY with the 80s style and all. But pretty similar at times. 

Though I'm not so good with series. But I love movies like Tonari no Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle and Mononoke. They're just so great, basically because the story is great, and well, the drawing is awesome, even to those who don't like the mainstream fast-to-draw animestyle they use in  stuff like Bible Black.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 20:05
I pretty much can´t satnd most anime... but damn it, is Evangelion on hell of a series!!!Clap

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: mithrandir
Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 21:14
3 of my all time favorite movies are:
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
They Were 11
Ghost In the Shell

we've been gradually watching Anime series over the past few years with the benefit of Netflix,
the 2 that shine above the rest (IMO) have been:
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Full Metal Alchemist

some of the others I've really liked:
Planetes - (an amazing series dedicated to humanity's early ventures into Space, a respectful nod towards Arthur C Clarke, it was kind of sappy at times too but I liked that about the show...)
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Hellsing
FLCL - (was a manic little morsel, its a quick watch but well worth it)

I wasn't crazy about Neon Genesis Evangelion, which seems to be somewhat a holy grail of anime, I respect its influence on other Anime series that came after it, but the show itself seemed to be a bit of an on going struggle; budget cuts and time constraints seem to be the culprit. They kind of botched the last 2 episodes in the series and then tried to "redo" the ending with a set of movies: first movie - first half recap of the series, the second half being - the first half of the second movie; second movie being the second half of the first movie and the finally finishing of with a long drawn out ending with an attempt to be deep, philosophical and spiritual, ....I don't know it wasn't as touching as it should have been...they overkilled it if you ask me,

Date Posted: July 12 2008 at 21:23
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

but found Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai to have a lasting impression. From memory this was the a sequel in the Ghost in the Shell series. So far I have failed to pursue the earlier incarnations of the show; besides the first movie I believe there was a TV series.

interesting....I know a lot of people that prefer "Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai", over the first Ghost In The Shell, can't say that I blame them it's a mindbender of a film,

and FYI, the series came after the movies, and are unrelated stories although they involve the same characters, Wink

...in many ways I like the series better, even more epic and complex story lines,

Posted By: crimson87
Date Posted: July 13 2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I pretty much can´t satnd most anime... but damn it, is Evangelion on hell of a series!!!Clap

Yeah , the same happens to me.Most anime is or extremely violent or either extremely stupid and childish.Evangelion is one of the few exeptions to me , although I hate those robots and the way they move.

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:44
I'd reccomend Welcome to the N.H.K (nhk ni yokoso) especially for those who don't have a 'life'

quite realistic in a way

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: July 30 2008 at 02:49
The husband and I have been doing marathon sessions of the shojo series "Marmalade Boy" whenever we can find time off work. It's very entertaining, especially because you're constantly trying to keep up with all the various intertwining love octogons.

He's also been buying up every yaoi anime we can find at Best Buy (the tame love stories, not the hardcore stuff). It's always funny to see the reactions of the cashiers when we purchase yaoi DVD's.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about anime being violent, but there's also plenty of cute sappy love stories for those of us who don't enjoy ultraviolence.

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 31 2008 at 22:51
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Yeah , the same happens to me.Most anime is or extremely violent or either extremely stupid and childish.Evangelion is one of the few exeptions to me , although I hate those robots and the way they move.

I find the main problem with anime is that its too violent and too stupid and childish all at the same time.
And yes, the whole robots and children fighting is Evangelions "weak" point (as its what it has more in common with regular anime) but the whole idea behind it, the philosofical and phycological factors... blew me away

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Real Paradox
Date Posted: October 26 2008 at 00:23
I'm only 14 years old, my great love is music, literature, Cinema and Anime. Mainly all of the concepts I enjoy must be either complex or simple but with an occult  type of ideology and theory behind it. All of that based in logic. And i can like anything really without having pre-concepts of what I've gained knowledge of. The one thing I enjoy about an Anime, is the fact that, the creators of the story, plot and main art for the piece of work that they want to make, somewhat have an artistic freedom when they use Anime. In a current motion picture that involves human beings as actors, they sometimes don't find the exact same person they pictured. For these reasons, I think if i ever write down a story that would be audiovisual, I'd chose Anime. I also like Cinema, but when I talk about it, I feel ultimately drawn to the actors and film directors and also the script writers. Same is applied to Theater. So when you guys talk about faces and stuff "kawaii"(lol) like that, I think its not something to be worried about or to feel hatred about, its simply just another form of producing art, manufactured or with the help of computerized visual effects. Evangelion is an awesome series. Just as Ergo Proxy is, but the crucial matter here, is that some people think the efforts of producing a well elaborated and cultural referenced with a taste of their own, is futile and therefore pseudo-intellectual. I'm sorry, but although my knowledge of anime is not that wide (and prioritized), I disagree. Anime is good, if it makes you think, and shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Monster, Ghost In the Shell, Grave of the Fireflies, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Paprika and Mushishi, are sure good and logical examples of such Anime.  

-------------
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...

Date Posted: October 26 2008 at 03:01
Mushishi was great! truly one of the most unique television shows I've ever seen.  Each episode has a breezy  and dreamy atmosphere, supported by great ethereal music.  Many of the episodes ended up being very sad too, I would feel sort of down and sleepy after watching such an episode.  Definitely not for Anime fans looking for loud fast paced fighting robots, it's the complete opposite of all that...I would recommend it to someone looking for something more clam and contemplative....

Posted By: UndercoverBoy
Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 21:40
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Mind you, you can NEVER go wrong with the films of Miyazaki. I dare anyone with a human heart to watch Spirited Away and not be utterly enthralled.

This.  Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful and moving films I've ever seen, animated or otherwise.  A must for anyone who appreciates beauty in cinema.

As for anime not made by Miyazaki, I think that Neon Genesis Evangelion is among the cream of the crop.

Posted By: Failcore
Date Posted: May 11 2010 at 22:41
Zombie thread is resurrected. I am currently watching scryed. It's interesting and entertaining, but it seems like there such a disconnect in most anime's I watch because the plots and dialog just seem kinda goofy. Don't get me wrong, I still like some of them, but it usually in spite of these sorts of things. The only anime I ever thought that was actually really well written was Paranoia Agent. That was an amazing ride for sure. And of course Miyazaki's stuff, but I don't really classify that as anime.

-------------

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: May 12 2010 at 13:09
Cowboy Bebop and Death Note have become two of my favorites.  They are not just about action and fighting.  Death Note is a really intelligent show, while Cowboy Bebop has great humor.

Posted By: Synchestra
Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 06:22
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

And that reminds me. FINAL FANTASY VII IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

"Noo, why, Aeris will never laugh again, never cry, never be alive and happy.."
"Hahaha.. you... are... A PUPPET!"
"...NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!"
I only just finished that game a month ago on PSP (I never had a ps as a kid, i had the best bike on the block though LOL) and man, somehow her death got to me. I mean, it wasn't as bad as the companion cube or anything, but wow what a great game.

I don't watch nearly enough anime. I've seen FLCL, its... Well it is alot of fun but man did it scare me the first time LOL. I've watched 7 seasons of Bleach. And some Inu yasha but thats really about it. Oh and of course I've seen some films like Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away but mainly the really popular stuff. I really should get more into it!

Also what was this about Neil Gaiman and princess Mononoke? I read Never Winter Nights the other day and I'm definately looking for anything else by him (mostly Sandman stuff though)

-------------
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:25
^Isnt Never Winter Nights one of D&D's Forgotten Realms RPG games?

Over the last year and a half I've developed (and still developing) quite the appreciation for anime. Obviously I love the Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is one of my all time favourite films) but I tend to go for the quite serious and, yes, ultraviolent series and films. The best I've come across so far is:

Blood the Last Vampire
Ghost in the Shell (both films, but after watching the first two episodes I gave up on SAC, battle tanks with high pitched girlie voices are a no-no for me.)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fullmetal Alchemist
Guyver
Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina
Sky Blue

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:31
I belong to the faction of those who dislike anime. Sorry, but the childish faces on characters which have definitely adult experiences simply turn me off.

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:37

I belong to the faction of those who dislike anime. Sorry, but the childish faces on characters which have definitely adult experiences simply turn me off.

Strange your presence is, in an anime appreciation thread then. Wink

I only know of vampire-related anime... Blood-The Last Vampire (disappointing), Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (amazing both of them) and the series Trinity-Blood (it started good, I have to finish watching it) and Hellsing (soon to be obtained). 

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Strange your presence is, in an anime appreciation thread then. Wink

I only know of vampire-related anime... Blood-The Last Vampire (disappointing), Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (amazing both of them) and the series Trinity-Blood (it started good, I have to finish watching it) and Hellsing (soon to be obtained). 

The initiator of the thread  explicitly asked people who don't like animes to utter their opinion, so I did.

-------------

Posted By: lotte
Date Posted: May 26 2010 at 18:31
Lately I have been watching (and reading) Baccano!, I'm a fan of Hellsing as well as Fruits Basket, which is actually my gateway series :)

Posted By: CinemaZebra
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 16:30
My favorites:

5. Baccano!
4. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Durarara!!
2. Trigun
1. Cowboy Bebop

http://myanimelist.net/profile/CinemaZebra - And my page...

-------------

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:23
l completeIy forgot about Lain in my recommendations thread! Thank you for reminding me.

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:26
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Zombie thread is resurrected. I am currently watching scryed. It's interesting and entertaining, but it seems like there such a disconnect in most anime's I watch because the plots and dialog just seem kinda goofy. Don't get me wrong, I still like some of them, but it usually in spite of these sorts of things. The only anime I ever thought that was actually really well written was Paranoia Agent. That was an amazing ride for sure. And of course Miyazaki's stuff, but I don't really classify that as anime.

Whether or not you classify it as Anime doesn't change the fact that it IS Anime.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:32

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya is a pretty odd show, but I love it. Anyone else love it?

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:39
I've never even heard of it. Care to elaborate?

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:49
Well, it did not run for very long and has few episodes. It's a comedy about a girl (Haruhi Suzumiya) who is completely insane and gathers a bunch of others together to investigate any mysterious activities happening around her town. The story is told from a man named Kyon's point of view. When I say it is an odd anime, I mean it can be very silly at points, which is good for some (like me) and might turn others away. I would go more in depth, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:52
Alright, I might check it out.

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Alright, I might check it out.
My thoughts:

First Season: Very Far From Perfect, But the Idea Is Brilliant
Second Season: Run And Never Come Back

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:06
^ Yikes. Well, I'm building an account right now on that 'myanimelist' thingy, so I'll see how similar we are in taste based on the info I put in. If we have parallel opinions for the most part, I'll trust you and just leave the series alone. I can't waste all my money on these box sets, and quality fandubs aren't always easy/legal to find. 

EDIT: forget it. I'm not going to try a million times to type in that captcha bullsh*t just to put a list up online. 

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:07
Kewl.

EDIT: Oh, and a little warning first (if you're going to watch the show). If you buy the DVD, it might come in an order that isn't chronological. It's pretty confusing, so if you need help, just check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes - this.

DOUBLE EDIT: I only had to do it once, but okay. :P

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:51
  ^ Well, it took me three tries, but I did finally get accepted, so yeah. My profile name is the same as it is here. I'll be updating and changing my lists for several days, I'm sure, but feel free to befriend me on there.   

EDIT: Oh hell, I just went ahead and sent you a friend request. Embarrassed

Date Posted: June 23 2010 at 23:33
Wow, bro. Just based on what little bit I've added to my list so far, you and I only have a 1.13 difference between our opinions. That's pretty damn close. 

Looks like I won't be watching Haruhi Suzimiya anytime soon. LOL

Posted By: lotte
Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by DT-PT DT-PT wrote:

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya is a pretty odd show, but I love it. Anyone else love it?

I do.

The friend that got my into TMOHS recently started to watch(and obsess over) Hetalia(anyone heard of it?) under my influence, it's also the first successful anime recommendation I've made thus far.  

Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 01:55
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

Cowboy Bebop and Death Note have become two of my favorites.  They are not just about action and fighting.  Death Note is a really intelligent show, while Cowboy Bebop has great humor.
This thread could use a little love. Anyway I recently uh.. Found a way... Of watching a few episodes of Death Note and wow. I had heard it wasn't as great as people say and that its overated/overhyped but I think its fantastic. Its quite a clever show, dark and quite serious. But the moral ambiguity and downright addictive 'game' between L and Light make it sooo good Smile

I'm going to look for some Cowboy Bebop later on, I read up a little on it. Sounds exciting

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 13:38
Is there enough Anime out there for a strictly anime cartoon network?

Date Posted: July 13 2010 at 14:08
There's enough for about five of those.

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2010 at 02:01
Originally posted by CinemaZebra CinemaZebra wrote:

There's enough for about five of those.
Maybe he meant good anime? LOL

-------------

Posted By: Niv
Date Posted: July 18 2010 at 15:45
I really need to get back into watching anime...I've got a large part of FMA Brotherhood to catch up with, all but 2 episodes of Deltora Quest to watch and then I want to re-watch Haruhi Suzumiya. So many episodes, so little time Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2010 at 16:50
Originally posted by Synchestra Synchestra wrote:

Originally posted by CinemaZebra CinemaZebra wrote:

There's enough for about five hundred of those.
Maybe he meant good anime? LOL
Tongue That still makes enough for about three.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 15:07

WTF?!

Posted By: bartosso
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 15:45
I thought she was tallerGeek

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/las-birnam" rel="nofollow - LAS BIRNAM (soundcloud) <<= my music =>> http://lasbirnam.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - LAS BIRNAM (bandcamp)

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 16:44
I'm confused.

-------------
if you own a sodastream i hate you

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 18:42
It appears to be an image from the film Twilight. Doesn't it look familiar to Anime fans? (hint: girl with big wolf). 

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 19:11
Erm... you mean Wolf's Rain.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/las-birnam" rel="nofollow - LAS BIRNAM (soundcloud) <<= my music =>> http://lasbirnam.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - LAS BIRNAM (bandcamp)

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 19:16

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 19:42
And? If you have giant wolves and a girl in your story, they're going to stand next to each other at some point. There are a limited number of ways you can stand next to something in 3 dimensional space.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 19:47
This is Mononoke Hime!

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 19:48
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

And? If you have giant wolves and a girl in your story, they're going to stand next to each other at some point. There are a limited number of ways you can stand next to something in 3 dimensional space.

I thought I was obvious. I'm seeing a very strong "inspiration".

Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 20:01
I am not watching either, but based on what you have I don't see any basis for that claim/accusation. I was not aware, however, that the Twilight werewolves were so massive, but, reading Wikipedia, apparently very large wolves are the norm and I am out of the loop. Of course, the Twilight werewolves are actually shapeshifters, but that's beside the point.

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 20:14
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Now I get it. LOL Great film, although I never noticed that until you pointed it out.

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: January 25 2011 at 20:37
The lack of ~desu in this thread is disturbing.

-------------

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 07:20
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Planetes - (an amazing series dedicated to humanity's early ventures into Space, a respectful nod towards Arthur C Clarke, it was kind of sappy at times too but I liked that about the show...)

I enjoyed this series too Beer

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 07:21
I love Gravitation, even if the dialog is a bit goofy at times.  Only "romantic" anime I could get into.

Posted By: TLM170
Date Posted: February 21 2011 at 14:31

one piece, bleach, naruto, gantz and hunter x hunter

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 04:48
Does Deltora Quest count? My daughter loves that show, reads the books too and has the DVDs

for me I loved
Akira
Dead Space
Ninja Scrolls
Wings of H
Ghost in the Shell

I have one on DVD I recorded off cable but dont know the name of it

it features a boy and a man trying to struggle to survive through the war, based on a tru story. Lots of planes bombing Japan in it... dont know what its called.

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 04:52
Tomorrow I've got the day off, so I'm gonna rewatch Elfen Lied from start to finish. Such a brilliant series. 
Also (finally) starting Neon Genesis Evangelion tonight after picking up the boxset about a month ago.
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

it features a boy and a man trying to struggle to survive through the war, based on a tru story. Lots of planes bombing Japan in it... dont know what its called.
Gotta be Grave Of The Fireflies. Such a sad movie
Edit: has anyone else here watched Saikano btw? Need to rewatch that too. Easily the saddest anime series I've ever seen.

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 06:08
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Tomorrow I've got the day off, so I'm gonna rewatch Elfen Lied from start to finish. Such a brilliant series. 
Also (finally) starting Neon Genesis Evangelion tonight after picking up the boxset about a month ago.
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Gotta be Grave Of The Fireflies. Such a sad movie
Edit: has anyone else here watched Saikano btw? Need to rewatch that too. Easily the saddest anime series I've ever seen.
Yeah Thats it thanks - just Google imaged that title. Very sad film and emotionally stirring.

Havent seen Saikano

-------------

Posted By: Hanyou
Date Posted: March 07 2011 at 13:33
Quote Edit: has anyone else here watched Saikano btw? Need to rewatch that too. Easily the saddest anime series I've ever seen.

My girlfriend loves Saikano, and while i haven't watched/read all of it, I've read bits and pieces and she's told me enough of the story for me to understand what's going on.  I actually read part of the last manga and nearly cried, even though I hadn't been following it for some time.

It's funny because I introduced it to her in...'04 I think?  I didn't want to read anymore after the first manga, but she got all of them and reads them frequently.  She also likes the show, but not as much.  I don't know why she tortures herself with this stuff, because it really is terribly sad, but it's a good (if strange) story with solid characters.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: December 20 2013 at 23:11
*Bump.

Favorites? Least favorites? Anybody?

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 20 2013 at 23:16
Code Geass is one i've watched recently and absolutely loved. Lelouch is a brilliantly written main character, imo. 

It is a mecha - but i hope that doesnt deter people from watching it. 

I'll be posting in this thread often now that i see it's open still. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: December 20 2013 at 23:22
I too watch the animes.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: December 20 2013 at 23:31
I recently watched Code Geass as well. Pros: The visuals and action sequences were great and Lelouch was definitely a great lead. Cons: The story was kind of machine-gunned at the watcher, and some characters and themes were left underdeveloped.

I certainly enjoyed it, though, particularly the mecha aspects, actually. The robots fought with a particular agility and tact you don't often see in mecha.

Previous to CG, I watched Monster, a comparatively slow but brilliant series about a man with a killer to kill. Super well-rounded characters, sometimes almost too developed. The villain is probably one of my favorite characters in anything ever, and other characters in the series are not far behind him.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 00:00
The opening song Colors for Code Geass is wonderful. One of my favs. I love J pop and rock though. PERFUME rules. As for anime I love Miyazaki, and few other animes. I saw Akira mentioned, that is one tripped up awesome anime movie. Finally bought it this past year. I love this one series called School Rumble. It's absolutely hilarious.

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 06:49
^I love Code Geass but the only opener/closer I liked was the second one from Jin (can't remember the name of the song).

Steins;Gate and Shingeki no Kyojin have been recent favorites of mine, SG is particularly brilliant.

-------------

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 08:37
There'll be a screening of Akira today and I'm going to see it with the missus. Haven't watched it before.

I'm a newbie to anime and all I've seen was Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa and the first couple of seasons of Cowboy Bebop.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 08:50
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

^I love Code Geass but the only opener/closer I liked was the second one from Jin (can't remember the name of the song).

Steins;Gate and Shingeki no Kyojin have been recent favorites of mine, SG is particularly brilliant.
Steins;Gate is Steins;Great

I did enjoy the opener/closers for Monster. AND SLOWLY YOU COME TO REALIZE

The rest of the soundtrack was quite good as well.

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

I too watch the animes.
Any pertiQlerz you'd like to mention?

Posted By: The Neck Romancer
Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 18:16
Man, Akira was really good.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 18:54
^Have you tried reading the original Manga, absolutely stunning.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 19:08
Akira is actually one of those embarrassing gaps in my anime-watching experience. Need to watch that soon.

Am watching Fruits Basket, which is not bad, so far.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 19:25
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/I_am_A_Person" rel="nofollow - here is my anime list , i watch a bit of anime

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 19:29
Haven't started an anime list yet. I ought to...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk