Print Page | Close Window

Rainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45586
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 16:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter
Posted By: The Whistler
Subject: Rainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 02:19
And no, I'm not really sure why that last option's there. Please try to ignore it...

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance. Namely Long Live Rock (and possibly Roll), and Live in Churmany.

Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one. Which is...strange. The Zeps are definitely a more even band, probably more diverse, and certainly more revolutionary; whereas Rainbow, despite having a better guitarist, had nothing else. Buncha lowly, albiet sometimes real cool, session type dudes, and their only revolution was to put the phrases "wizard" and "tower" in a single song. On the plus side, they seem to have inspired the Maiden to a somewhat type extent...

AND YET, I think that Rainbow was the better band. And I do...not...know...WHY!!! I do think that Ritchie is the more talented string-slinger, and that Dio actually believes in all that wizardly crap he's singing about, whereas Plant could sound just a tad...goofy from time to time. Ya know? "Mordor?" Yeah.

So I actually, and for whatever reason, believe that Rainbow is the better, and perhaps best, heavy metal band. Certainly from the "classic" era. Of, er, "that" era. Unless you count the Tull. And I do. 'Cause they were pretty f**kin' metal.

What REALLY confuses me though is that I've actually heard more Led Zep than Rainbow, so you can't accuse me of absurd loyalism. However, I have not heard very much Deep Purple, so, perhaps the poll is a tad premature...

Still, in the Page/Plant's defense, the Zeps have yet to hit the LOWS of which I've heard in Rainbow, but then again, that's probably because Rainbow somehow made it past 1980.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Replies:
Posted By: cynthiasmallet
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 05:02
Oh dear.....

-------------
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 08:39
Somewhere Over The Rainbow ... there's a big shining Zeppelin! Big%20smile

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: Pinkk
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:11
Definitely Led Zeppelin.

-------------

http://last.fm/user/pinkkfloydd - My Last.fm

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance...Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one.

Apparently when I took out the garbage last night, I forgot to take this statement.

Posted By: Real Paradox
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:39
Yeah, I go for the Zepps.Much more elaborated music , and they have a charismatic sparkle, it is a special band, smothing that Rainbow could not have, Its just a average hard rock band...

-------------
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...

Posted By: EnglishAssassin
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 15:16
Led Zeppelin, no contest.  That said, you could have been forgiven, back in 1977, for believing that Rainbow had the potential to reach Zep-like heights.  They didn't, however, and an artistic legacy of three good studio records and four shockingly poor ones doesn't even bear comparison with Led Zep's.

Posted By: *Porcupine*
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:10
Budgie but its close between them and Led Zep.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:21
Budgie.

I vastly prefer Led Zep over Rainbow though.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 18:13
Rainbow's masterpiece is obviously "Rising".

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:48
I think all the Rainbow albums with Dio were very good. Zeppelin, however wins hands down as the best band. Their music was more soulful and more interesting.

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 02:29
Holy crap, Budgie is beating Rainbow! Wow. This sucks. DIO! WHERE ART THOU!!!

Gotta admit, that I've yet to hear Little Man w/Sticks, but Zeppelin purists tend to look DOWN upon such naughtiness. The first two are pretty sweet, but can't touch Long Live Rock Etc.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 02:37
bold assertion that Zep had no masterpieces  ..I give you Song Remains the Same and Physical Graffiti, and ll of course.. but at least this thread got some people talking, good work Whizzle-Dizzle

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:00
Damn you and your italics! Well, I'm an ass when it comes to masterpieces. I think Pink Floyd only had two; what do I know.

Physical Graffiti...I dunno. A bit too long in spots. Occasionally fun and experimental, occasionally annoying. Song though, that's the live album, right? I wanna get that (not my fault Zep is popular and puts out expensive double albums). I always say that you don't REALLY know a band until you know it live, so perhaps the lack of masterpieces is a tad premature.

I've SEEN some live stuff though, and I wasn't holy-crap-shocked off my ass.

Oh, and, I will say that the Brown Bomber has their best cover. But music-wise...I has the better songs, II has the better flow. Coin flip. Probably I. Maybe. I dunno. "MOBY DICK!"

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:11
well if you expect the albums, Zep live can be a bit of a shock ..SRtS is one of the greats though, just listen with a rock'n roll heart and don't expect perfection.. not what they were about

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:13
I don't think you've been paying attention about me 'n live shows. I JUST BOUGHT THE DOORS: LIVE IN BOSTON. Check the Prindle review. That's why I got it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:16
touche  

..then you should like Song, make it your next Zep purchase

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:18
Can do.

-------------

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: January 26 2008 at 08:17
If you're really going to get Zeppelin live material, go for How The West Was Won. In my opinion that one is far better (and has much more music on it) than The Song Remains The Same, although I put that one on now and then as well and mightily enjoy it.

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 26 2008 at 10:18
I am a major Dio-era Rainbow fan, but I don't think the two bands can even be compared. As uneven as their output may be, Led Zeppelin have been hugely influential, and when they were good, they were fantastic. Rainbow, on the other hand, put out three excellent studio albums, but then Blackmore decided it was time for the band to go radio-friendly - and that was the end for them. 

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 10:11
Oh, that's a diddly of a pickle!
While i really like Blackmore's works, exspecially live, It doesn't beat the Magic of the four members of Led Zeppelin!

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:16
Led Zeppelin

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:22
2nd vote for Rainbow! (Dio era)

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 31 2008 at 02:28
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Budgie_Squawk.jpg">Image:Budgie%20Squawk.jpg

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: January 31 2008 at 02:38
Well im pretty sick of ol zep right now all this over exposure lately is geting anoying im starting to to understand what it must have been like in the 70s.. i vote for the underated DIO's Rainbow.

-------------

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: February 06 2008 at 22:10
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance...Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one.

Apparently when I took out the garbage last night, I forgot to take this statement.

Harsh. LOL And not true. The good Rainbow albums are REALLY good (unfortunately decided to cash in on the radio too soon Dead), but Zep has a bigger discography interspersed with many masterful songs, but also many way to bluesy (for my taste) ones. Altogether, it's an impossible choice!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: February 07 2008 at 09:30
 Rainbow has 3 fantastic labums, but they have much more weak albums than Led Zeppelin.

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: February 08 2008 at 12:13
ok I love DP but not Rainbow crappy. I just think they have 3 good albums and that's it. Led Zep has 3 completely masterpices II IV and Houses of the Holy . And then it has 4 very good albums I III and Physcial Graffiti and Prescense. Wow Led beats Rainbow for a 1000 light years dude...

Rainbow doesn't have innovating stuff.
Led Zep yes!

Oh by the way Plant beats Dio for a mile and Page beats Ritchie for another mile. John Paul Jones beats the bass guitarist from Rainbow that I don't who is lol. And Bonham beats Powell but not for a mile very close.

Posted By: rudderhead
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 16:55
Rainbow and not just the Dio ones. Graham Bonnet and Joe Lyn Turner are good to. I dont agree that they are more radio-friendly. I think the GB and JLT albums sound just us loud as the Dio ones.
Straight between the eyes is a real kick ass record just listen to Death Alley Driver or Power. Much better than Led Zeppelin. I think people just dislike the later Rainbow albums because they think they are supposed to, not because they are. So dont be fooled by that
Budgie is much better than led zeppelin to 

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 17:46
Sure there are some good songs on the later Rainbow albums. But I would never put them in the same league as the early stuff. Being quite a big fan of Rainbow since long before heading into progressive territory, I don't dislike those albums just because I'm "supposed" to. I've given them many fair listens. Just a matter of taste.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: rudderhead
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:40
I dont mind that. At least you dont think they are crap

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:49
Rainbow really was a band I got in... Maybe cause Rising and LLRR, even though both has some songs that I really like, not Stargazer, I really can't think it's a masterpiece neither a 4 star. Having their debut perhaps not being being quite unique but still the album overall has no falls. And from Bonnet and Turner era I like many songs to but still doesn't really amazes me or puts me on feet.

Posted By: Your Lame Sister
Date Posted: July 15 2008 at 06:48
The problem with the Zepps is that they were never able to release a 'perfect' album. every album they released had at least a couple of tracks that weren't good enough. The debut was the closest they ever got to making a perfect album, and even that album had a stinker or two. that said, Zeppelin still produced a gigantic amount of fantastic songs, and when they were good, they were absolutely incredible.
Rainbow is pretty much  the opposite: they were consistent throughout the Dio period, and didn't release as much filler as Zep. unfortunately, they were never able to reach the highs that the Leds reached, and they didn't release nearly as much good songs as zep. besides, rainbow were inferior to zep in every area: Page was the better riff-man (by a bit), and his solos beat Blackmore's, in my oppinion. I also prefer plant to dio, and the Rainbow rythm section was no match to Jones and Bonham.
So Rainbow lose.

-------------
"Playing acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on - I mean, you know how to do it, but it's more difficult." - Dave Mustaine

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 15 2008 at 08:00
Originally posted by Your Lame Sister Your Lame Sister wrote:

The problem with the Zepps is that they were never able to release a 'perfect' album. every album they released had at least a couple of tracks that weren't good enough. The debut was the closest they ever got to making a perfect album, and even that album had a stinker or two. that said, Zeppelin still produced a gigantic amount of fantastic songs, and when they were good, they were absolutely incredible.
Well, you'd have a pretty good argument for Led Zep IV being close to perfection, perhaps only Four Sticks lowers the mark at all. Led Zep II has Livin' Lovin' Maid which is okay at best, III has the much-criticised Roy Harper song (which I actually like) and Houses Of The Holy has The Crunge, which is a throwaway joke at best. Few double albums can match the standard of Physical Graffiti which doesn't have a really duff track until the last one. I personally think they didn't release a genuine stinker until Hots On For Nowhere on Prescence, and even The Beatles can't match that standard.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: July 16 2008 at 05:47
I'm quite surprised that Rainbow got so many votes. Is that from people who actually like Rainbow, or are they just Zeppelin haters?

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 16 2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I'm quite surprised that Rainbow got so many votes. Is that from people who actually like Rainbow, or are they just Zeppelin haters?

not really... who really hates Zeppelin...  however any group.. heard 1000's of times over the years, unless you are diehard fan, it just going to wear thin.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 04 2008 at 17:20
Budgie beat both of them as hard rock bands.

And to say Page beats Blackmore as a guitarist (as cacho seems to think) is absurd. Technically, Blackmore's light years ahead.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: October 04 2008 at 19:04
Now knowing Budgie, this would be it:

Led Zeppelin>Budgie>Rainbow

Led Zep GREAT albums: I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Presence.
Budgie: Squawk and Never Turn Your Back On Your Friend (the only ones I have)
Rainbow: Debut(the only one I truly enjoy), though I must admit Rising and Long Live Rock n' Roll are their creative peak, though I really dislike most of it.

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: October 05 2008 at 01:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Rainbow's masterpiece is obviously "Rising".

Couldn't have said it better myself. Rising starts off with a blast and ends with a bang. I think the closest Zep got to the was on Physical Graffiti. Weird I know, but even though it is their lengthiest album I think it has the most consistency. Even with the spectacular display of power on Led Zep 1 and the great writing of III, there are moments/songs where I am just absolutely bored and turned off. Graffiti always makes me pay attention. Just like Rising kicks my ass. Personally, I could listen to Rainbow more in a sitting than I could of Zep. So there you go.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October 13 2008 at 21:15
I think that the post dio albums are underrated. Joe Lynn Turner is actually a pretty good singer, and they made some decent albums after he left.

Date Posted: October 13 2008 at 21:27
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Budgie beat both of them as hard rock bands.

And to say Page beats Blackmore as a guitarist (as cacho seems to think) is absurd. Technically, Blackmore's light years ahead.

Blackmore had great riffs, but his solos are just damn boring at his 7th DP album, and don't even talk about Rainbow! Please don't! That's why I love Come Taste the Band by Deep Purple, with Tommy Bolin leading this time, the new funky solos were just great.

Page was way much better soloing, IMHO.

Have in mind, I'm no Zep hardcore fan, the contrary, my fave band of all time is Deep Purple, so don't think I bash Rithchie Blackmore just because.
I find Rainbow to be quite Prog on albums as Rising, but that doesn't I must like it, I like the non-prog tracks from that album, I dislike the 2 proggy ones, well they're 3 counting Tarot Woman, but I like that one.

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:18
Can't vote i appreciate the three bands.

Sorry pal.
Wink

-------------

Posted By: Parsifal
Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 06:46
Rainbow by far. I couldn't stand the prissy, Percy vocals of Robert Plant. The folk-influence in Zeppelin was a big turn off for me as well.

The Rainbow material with Dio and Graham Bonnet was outstanding from a musical standpoint, particularly when keeping in mind the live perspective. In concert, Rainbow were spectacular virtuosos from all standpoints (well, the bass playing never quite lived up to Glenn Hughes' level).

Zeppelin were mostly blues influenced, which was just never as interesting as the classical music influence. The instrumental playing really suffered live.

-------------
Catch the Rainbow

Posted By: SgtPepper67
Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 12:06
Wtf? Led Zeppelin has released six masterpieces from Led Zeppelin I to Physsical Graffitti. Definitely Led Zeppelin for me.

-------------

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 13:27
Zeppelin were always going to win this one, but in terms of pure personal pleasure, Rainbow and Blackmore have delighted me for years. I love that man and the band, so my vote goes here.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: GaryB
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 11:08

The great thing about music is that you're always going to find someone who likes any band you mention. My point is that even if you start a poll comparing Jimi Hendrix and The Monkees, someone out there is going to pick The Monkees. That's okay, that's why therapy was invented.

My opinion of this poll is that you need to multiply Budgie by three and divide Rainbow by two and then you have something worth discussing.

"Here we come...walkin' down the street...we get the funniest looks from.........................."

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 13:29
I grew up being told how "great" Led Zeppelin were and having them shoved down my throat constantly. I'll take Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Judas Priest, Manowar, Michael Schenker Group, and at least a couple of dozen other bands any time before Zeppelin. Don't like them much except for "Achilles' Last Stand" and even that sounds feminine and dated to my ears.
Ronnie James Dio always had way more balls, and Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitar god in Rock/Metal history.

Just my opinion, I respect others.

-------------
Catch the Rainbow

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 24 2009 at 18:15
eppelin album Zeppelin never did. Lady of The lake is The Wanton Song with a killer chorus and Gates of Babylon fits with the heavy rock eastern music side that Zeppelin explored. Stargazer was, for me, the stand out trrack on Rising, a very consistent album. In fact I'd say all Rainbow albums are cosistent entities.

The trouble with singers and Rainbow ran into a wall with this one, is that this is hiow most people relate to music especially popular music. Turner doesn't sound like Bonnet who doesn't sound like Dio. My preference is for Dio.

Rainbow were a class act though when I first heard Live in Germany years ago I thought the over long solos the worst excesses of 70s era hard rock. I prefer instrumental music and when a lead feature happens it must be a consequence of the composition not an excuse to be a show off.

I've heard and have lots of Led Zeppelin. Their concert and instrumental development was quite something. Yes, the boots reveal some errors in concert but Page was different on alll his solos within pieces and songs. There's some surprising things like the hook for Ozone Baby one of the most lyrically deficient songs I've ever heard but give it to Plant and he makes it into something special.

The blues and roots nature of their music particularly on the first 3 albums sets them up negatively in a prog rock view as prog rock has nothing to do with roots or blues music but the development on already developed, possibly centuries developed themes. Rainbow had that basis.  Blackmore also stated his influences for Rainbow were Tull, Zeppelin (particualrly Kashmir which must be one of the most influential pieces at least at muso level if not in the public mind), and Focus.

Zeppelin were an instrumental band that happned to have what may very well be rock's greatest ever front man and singer, fair lyricist and terrific interpreter. The variety of Zeppelin and his own solo career alone puts him way ahead of others like the great in his field Dio but they mine a very well ploughed field.

Guitar versus guitar? Blackmore is a great technician but he does lose a lot of momentum despite playing lots of medleys in Rainbow concerts. Page never had to destroy a guitar to prove a point. He was capable of very subtle things as well. I know it's a boot but if you listen to the Rotterdam 80 gig page begins his first solo in Achilles last Satnd with a great delayed figure. It's a very diminished scale that appears after (despite being played before) his own lead line which is also an odd abstraction. I still wonder htf he did that!

Anyway the solo in Stairway (any of them) puts him in the great focused melodic soearing solo world for all time which maybe Gilmour on Comfortably Numb and would you belive the eagles' guitarists doing Hotel California might share.

Zeppelin changed musical styles often but never lost their identity. This happened to Rainbow. Dominant personnel such as singers will do that to a band.

Zeppelin were innovative possibly referencing the experience in their first US tour but then really developing the pyschedelic appraoch on the 2nd US tour. The third shows what they would have sounded like had manager Peter Grant had them playing Woodstock. Now there would have been a bhistory changing moment.

Not sure Rainbow atr Donningtoin could match even that potentiality.

So Rainbow with at least 3 vg to ex studio albums, a vg last album (Final Vinyl) and two vg -  ex live albums
(On Satge loses points for omitting Stargazer and having a miserly 16 mins a side. Page managed to get 27 mins of Dazed and Confused on the now more appropriate (and not that expensive) 3 CD TSRTS.

Zeppelin were daring, plagiaristc, had a vision and were album to branch and develop, Now they are over exposed by fans in power to trumpet their virtues albeit the most obvious ones to people brought up to herar only sueprficial elements. (Not their fault, it's the industry. Much easier to market to one dimensional mentalities than to try to, say present ptrogressive rock to the masses...)

There we, go, a post longer than some drum solos and twice as tedious as the worst. Disapprove

My vote, as ever, Zeppelin. But Rainbow are a good listen...

'Some people think heavy metal is easy' - Bad News

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 00:47
Budgie and Rainbow are often overlooked in hard rock history. They are damn fine bands. 

That said, without Led Zep, we probably wouldn't have seen either of them. Nor most other bands which claim to be hard rocking.

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: mrcozdude
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 04:59
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

LOL

Zeppelin blatantly

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/cozfunkel/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 08:51
I have a big problem with Plant's voice. I never liked the kind of femmy, "Percy" high voice he used, greatly preferring classic Ian Gillan, Dio, Rob Halford, Eric Adams, Graham Bonnet (Of course Im obviously biased when it comes to Graham Wink).

I remember when Cozy Powell joined Rainbow, I immediately embraced him a much faster, more dynamic Bonham on drums. And I never heard Bonham play with anything near the flexibility and revolutionary invention as Ian Paice on Deep Purple's Burn.

And most forum members are aware of how much (actually little) I think of Page's playing, compared to Blackmore or Schenker.

Just because Zeppelin had an influence on many hard rock/heavy metal bands of the time, doesn't mean the bands they had an influence on were any less in quality. I find Kashmir unbelievably boring (that awful, cruise control tempo and monotonous vocal), yet personally think Stargazer is the greatest Rock/Metal track in history.

So, 1975 to 1980 Rainbow over Zeppelin as a whole. I count all four first studio albums as absolute Classics. Live Germany is brilliant as well.

-------------
Catch the Rainbow

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 16:49
I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread yet!

Anyway, probably Zeppelin for me.

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 21:54

Holy crap! Someone dusted the marbles offa this thing, that's for sure. 

Well, I'm slightly older and more experienced now. And now, I realize that Rainbow had a faily good, but not great, start; whereas Zeppelin's IV/Runes/Little Man With Big Stick is, in fact, their best album. 

I've also heard some live albums, which are great! Except for when they're overlong, overindulgeant, and shallow (and this coming from someone who liked Welcome! Back, My Fiends!)...OH WAIT! Zeppelin live albums are ALWAYS those things.

Well, I jest. To a point. How The West Was Hung is, nice earthshattering renditions of "Stairwell" and "Lotta Love," but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long for its miserable good. Song is...damn, unjustly looked down upon, I should say. "No Quarter" live is da sheyit.

Still, I likes my Rainbow. If we're only dealing with 70's material, I think that Rainbow pulled stronger albums outta their dragon sized ass. However, if total careers are at stake, Rainbow has a couple of eighties albums that I cannot really recall for lack of better memories, whereas Zeppelin only had that In Through the Various Album Covers to stain their nadir. 

-------------

Posted By: himtroy
Date Posted: August 09 2009 at 22:20
I can listen to bands jam endlessly, but LZ bores me a lot of the time when they jam.  Other than their earlier days their jams all revolve around Page trying to be ridiculously flashy.  I can only listen to straight fast incomprehensible notes for so long from just a guitar.  I love instrumental music, and any length of solos, page just doesn't do it for me.

That being said, I've never listened to Rainbow

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk