Print Page | Close Window

The Beatles invented Prog Rock - discuss

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4622
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Beatles invented Prog Rock - discuss
Posted By: Moribund
Subject: The Beatles invented Prog Rock - discuss
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 05:35

OK King Crimson may have been the first to recognise, refine and launch, but here's a quick list to agree/disagee/disprove/snarl at/laugh at:-

The Beatles were the first to:-

1. Use the studio as a writing tool
  2. Use the LP as an artform
  3. Use multitrack recording creatively
  4. DI the bass
  5. Use exotic & orchestral instruments creatively
  6. Produce the first concept album
  7. Use a moog synthesiser
  8. Use feedback creatively
  9. Use many FX and unusual recording techniques (vari-speed, voices thru Leslie Cab, flanging)
  10. Use musique concrete techniques

All yours Ladies & Gentlemen..............................

Replies:
Posted By: JrKASperov
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 05:39
Yet the beatles never came up with a composition that was evolving, complex, intricating in the way musical layers interact and even VIRTUOUS.

-------------
Epic.

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 05:55
I think it's undoubtable that they laid the foundations not only for prog rock but also for a vast array of popular music since them (If I remember, Tony Iommi was a fan, although it might not be easy to hear ). How much they shaped it is impossible to say, I suppose, but I'd like to think it was considerably.

Posted By: Zero the hero
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 06:54
Originally posted by Moribund Moribund wrote:

OK King Crimson may have been the first to recognise, refine and launch, but here's a quick list to agree/disagee/disprove/snarl at/laugh at:-

2. Use the LP as an artform
  4. DI the bass
  5. Use exotic & orchestral instruments creatively
  6. Produce the first concept album
  9. Use many FX and unusual recording techniques (vari-speed, voices thru Leslie Cab, flanging)

Just one thing,even though Lennon & McCartney were probably the greatest song writers ever,they,together with George & ringo were crap musicians...Everything is owed to George Martin,without him they would have not been the great sussess they ended up as.

George Martin was the man behind every technique,he judged the way the album was to be produced,the way the effects were to be used,even the one who encouraged them to use Moog & Hammond.

For the time he pushed the studio as a recreational area as far forward as possible...

All yours

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 07:49
*Snarls at*

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:13

Nobody invented the progressive rock, but the Beatles deserves credit.

They were the most famous "beat" band (and rock ´n roll band)at that time, but they weren´t satisfied with the music they were doing, so they experimented lots of things, trying to make their music richer. And they achieved their goal. They simply could keep doing I Wanna Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Help, and etc, but they changed their style and they, without a doubt, made psychedelic and progressive rock reach to the great audience. Without Beatles, the psychedelic and progressive rock would need a lot of more time to reach the mass audience and probably wouldn´t achieve so much success as they did. 

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:31
i recon if the beatles did play a part in the creation of prog it was probably by accident. ive never heard any proggy stuff by them, most of it is straight forward. i guess sgt peppers is a concept album but i wudnt call it prog.

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:38

The Beatles led the evolution of rock music for 5 years, and to say they were crap musicians is to miss several points, as they (apart from Ringo) certainly weren't crap rock musicians by any stretch of th imagination.

Not one item on that top 10 list is actually true - for a start, musique concrete was "invented" many decades previously, and many composers and jazz bands have used "exotic" instrumentation, and the Moog was invented long before the Beatles got their hands on it. However, reword it to "The Beatles were the first rock band to..." and it becomes a bit more accurate.

Progressive rock was the culmination of many, many styles - the Beatles certainly played their part in its evolution, but so did the Byrds, the Nice, Pink Floyd and arguably John Mayall, Miles Davis and Rakhmaninov, among others.

To adequately discuss this subject would require far more time - but I think those are the bare bones.

Posted By: Yams
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 09:41
I give them credit for influencing music on a grand scale (something that will be remembered forever), but I've never heard anything close to 21st Century Schizoid Man from The Beatles. Two years after the release of Sgt. Pepper's, ITCOTKC blew that album out of the water in terms of progression (no pun intended) towards a new musical style.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:47
The Beatles through the long apprenticeship of playing the clubs for many a hard day's night in Hamburg, had to have a big bag of tunes. Their early stuff was derived from Tamla Motown and other black soul music, plus the rockabilly and straight rock and roll. Plus some of their own music, based on the same. Their second album, With The Beatles when it was first released, was always played at parties because it had some great tunes to dance to and each only lasted 3 minutes at the most. Lennon and McCartney as one of the major song writers of the 20th century, had a great ability to write very catchy (and often timeless) pop tunes, which are now part of the popular music catalogue - fit for plunder by budding jazz divas who need a standard.  The Dylan influence comes around the period of Rubber Soul, when their compositions became more complex. However, it was often said in the mid 60's that the Beatles were great absorbers of what was going on around them musically, and had this all knowing ability to process those new sounds into something distinctly Beatlely. They visited the West Coast, came back doing Byrd-like or Beach Boy-like tunes. Then with the summer of love, absorption of the Haight Astbury psychedelic sound  re-evolving into the Englishness of Sgt Pepper. After the White Album and Magic Mystery Tour, with the Beatles slowly disintergrating, leading to  McCartney doing the pushing (often pushing his songs into the frame for the next album), some great riffs but the move back to mainstream simplicity of pop and rock'n'roll.

Indeed the Beatles shifted music forward, building their house often from borrowed bricks and mortar, constructed in a unique manner. Hence they progressed - but so did many other bands (Kinks for instance - and I often see Ray Davies being written up as a superior composer than Lennon and McCartney nowadays). Beatles 'inventing' progressive rock: no chance. Not one group or musican invented progressive rock, it evolved. The Beatles helped show was that there was more than just the 2 minute 30 second single to be composed, played and recorded for the young record buying market - what George Martin showed the Beatles and therefore other musicians, was how music could be arranged and be instrumented in unexpected ways. However, Beatles and Martin didn't corner the market in such innovation.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 11:41

Hendrix, Zappa, and Barrett were doing their thing long before the Beatles. The thing is, at the time, the Beatles were considered the greatest band in the world, and when you already have an 'in' band being experimental, why bother giving credit to obscure (at the time) bands who are tons more creative? I would even go so far as to credit the Beach Boys as coming up with the idea of blending classical instrumentation and pop song structures before the Beatles... except I dislike the Beach Boys with a passion. I'm a huge Beatles fan, I even own the obscure stuff from the early sixties... I just don't think they were as creative as many people make them out to be, especially when people credit them as inventing progressive rock.  As I said, there were far more inventive bands at the time.

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 13:03

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 13:11
Originally posted by FuzzyDude FuzzyDude wrote:

Hendrix, Zappa, and Barrett were doing their thing long before the Beatles. The thing is, at the time, the Beatles were considered the greatest band in the world, and when you already have an 'in' band being experimental, why bother giving credit to obscure (at the time) bands who are tons more creative? I would even go so far as to credit the Beach Boys as coming up with the idea of blending classical instrumentation and pop song structures before the Beatles... except I dislike the Beach Boys with a passion. I'm a huge Beatles fan, I even own the obscure stuff from the early sixties... I just don't think they were as creative as many people make them out to be, especially when people credit them as inventing progressive rock.  As I said, there were far more inventive bands at the time.

YES, The Beatles were (only) one year behind Frank Zappa and The Beach Boys BUT Sgt. Pepper was the most influental and thus considered the prototype of prog. I guess all three were the inventors of prog. Next inventors were The Who (consistent concept album), The Moody Blues (symphonic sound), Procul Harum (classical elements), The Nice (classical forms). King Crimson marked the classic prog era with the first real prog rock album - ItCoCK.

Barret-era Floyd sound more pure psych to me. Pink Floyd weren't the inventors of classic (symphonic) prog. Their first and only attempt at symphonic prog is AHM (not before 1970). However,they were the first and most influential space rock (boundary prog subgenre) band and one of the first to attempt avant rock (Ummagumma).. ostamble();

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 13:34
i like the beatles a lot but all of my friends (and probably most of my teenage generation) do not see them as a phoenomenom or as good songwriters. The whole 62-66 period is all happy and poppy and sounds samey. it only got slightly more interesting in the latter years with more realistic and depressing stuff.

I have a few of their albums and they are great, and me and my friends appreciate that at the time they were the best songwriters and had such a major influence (and still do). same with elvis, but they really cant compare to the modern stuff we listen to!

overall brilliant band... but us new kids cant see why they are given so much praise. maybe they just didnt age well or something! but their influence will never die or be forgotten!

the only thing is, if i or anyone else says a view like this we get sl*gged off, when it is very valid!

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Rob The Plant
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 13:49
Sgt Pepper came out in '67, Love put out an album in '66, The Floyd also put out their first album in '67. As said previously- Zappa was doing stuff well before the Beatles, as was Beefheart of course, and it is said that Beefheart is Prog. The Beatles were certainly not anything near prog until Sgt Pepper, so they are obviously not the founding fathers of prog. Thank god they moved away from what they did in their first 2 albums though.

-------------
Collaborators will take your soul.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 14:04
No they didn't.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 15:16

Originally posted by Rob The Plant Rob The Plant wrote:

Sgt Pepper came out in '67, Love put out an album in '66, The Floyd also put out their first album in '67. As said previously- Zappa was doing stuff well before the Beatles, as was Beefheart of course, and it is said that Beefheart is Prog. The Beatles were certainly not anything near prog until Sgt Pepper, so they are obviously not the founding fathers of prog. Thank god they moved away from what they did in their first 2 albums though.

I think Love are one of the great overlooked.

Despite (or because of) the amounts of china white and brown sugar, Arthur Lee was incredibly inventive - and both Floyd and Lennon/McCartney seem to have felt the influence.

Da Capo has one of the earliest long tracks on it - "Revelations" occupies an entire side.

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 15:28
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Despite (or because of) the amounts of china white and brown sugar, Arthur Lee was incredibly inventive - and both Floyd and Lennon/McCartney seem to have felt the influence.

Da Capo has one of the earliest long tracks on it - "Revelations" occupies an entire side.

i only have forever changes, its pretty good!

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 16:28

Forever Changes wins over Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds, as my album of the 60's. Yeap too often neglected. However, Arthur Lee & Love did a storming touring of the UK 3 years ago to remind us Brtis of the greatness and better still, how timeless Forever Changes is. I agree with John Tobler's 1973 viewpoint (article in Zig Zag magazine) that Arthur Lee was writing lyrics for Forever Chnages  that suggested he had done all the excesses associated with  the psychedelic period, before it started for most bands.

Posted By: Rob The Plant
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 17:09
I'm with the Love lovers. Awesome band, and comingf back to topic- prog before the Beatles.

-------------
Collaborators will take your soul.

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 17:35

I'm with the Love lovers. Awesome band, and comingf back to topic- prog before the Beatles.

Loves debut is just as prog as revolver. that said not very.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 17:36
For me prog as we know it is a combination of The Beatles Sgt. Peppers... (1967), Love´s Forever Changes (1967), The Nice , and ( of course) Pink Floyd´s The Piper at the ...(1967)...So for me prog is more or less a combination of this 4 bands... but in thouse years it wasn´t completly prog, it was more like strange music. Never the less, we all know who finally made prog what it is today...that is of course In the court of... (1969) from ( you know it) King Crimson!!!

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 20:10

The Beatles led the evolution of rock music for 5 years, and to say they were crap musicians is to miss several points, as they (apart from Ringo) certainly weren't crap rock musicians by any stretch of th imagination.

I am REALLY sick of people calling Ringo a crap musician.  I mean, I've only heard his output from his time from the Beatles, and yes, his technique is simplistic, but I think people miss one big thing about him.  The biggest thing when you look at Mr. Starr is that he almost always serves the song.  If he hadn't played what he did on Come Together, then would it have been as memorable a song as it is?  Ringo always had a great ear for serving the song, and no where is it more evident than in their early work.  He rarely does any over-technical fill when they were in their popier years, and the sounds fine to my ears.  I've never felt or said to myself, "man, I wish Ringo would kick off a nice roll around the set, or throw in some Swiss-Tripelets.  If I've ever thought that about anyone, it's Nick Mason, but that's something entirley diferent.  As big a  fan of highly-skilled playing as I am, especially when it comes to drums, Ringo will always be the godfather of the "Less is More" style of drumming, and he managed to do it in one of the bigest bands in the history of Rock music.  That I applaud him for.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 20:41

Ok, I admit The Beatles are influential to almost every genre, but as Joren tells us with illustrations, Zappa was doing proto prog' when The Beatles were singing Yellow Submarine back in 1966.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2005 at 01:47
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

I am REALLY sick of people calling Ringo a crap musician.  I mean, I've only heard his output from his time from the Beatles, and yes, his technique is simplistic, but I think people miss one big thing about him.  The biggest thing when you look at Mr. Starr is that he almost always serves the song.  If he hadn't played what he did on Come Together, then would it have been as memorable a song as it is?  Ringo always had a great ear for serving the song, and no where is it more evident than in their early work.  He rarely does any over-technical fill when they were in their popier years, and the sounds fine to my ears.  I've never felt or said to myself, "man, I wish Ringo would kick off a nice roll around the set, or throw in some Swiss-Tripelets.  If I've ever thought that about anyone, it's Nick Mason, but that's something entirley diferent.  As big a  fan of highly-skilled playing as I am, especially when it comes to drums, Ringo will always be the godfather of the "Less is More" style of drumming, and he managed to do it in one of the bigest bands in the history of Rock music.  That I applaud him for.

But drummers are just guys who hang around with musicians

Seriously - when asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon said "He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles".

But I do agree with what you're saying - Ringo did the job and he did it well. The "Less is more" philosophy is sadly too often overlooked - except in pop music, where they're currently doing their best to disprove it...

Posted By: lunaticviolist
Date Posted: March 29 2005 at 02:38
"Revelation" is more of an extended jam than a prog epic.  Love was great, though.  The Beatles, as far as I'm concerned made popular music what it is today.  They did not, however, invent progressive rock.  I agree with the people who say that prog evolved.  I do think that "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" has some very prog characteristics.

-------------
My recent purchases:

Posted By: Butterfleef
Date Posted: April 02 2005 at 02:08
I most certainly agree with those who say the Bealtes contributed greatly to the populization of prog. I think Sgt. Peppers, The White Album, Revolver, and Abbey Road are the best examples of this. George Harrison really brought in the cultural element with his fantastic songs like "Love You To" and "Within You and Without You". I think that the sitar would be a great prog instrument were it used more. It may be one of the most, if not the most, difficult instruments to play but it's certainly on the proggish side. All of the brass on Revolver gives the album a prog fealing, in my opinion. The Beatles shouldn't be added to the archives by any means, but I think they should be recognized for their contribution to the progression of prog.

-------------
As I cuddled the porcupine he said I had none to blame but me. Held my heart deep in hair. Time to shave, shave it off, it off. No time for romantic escape when your fluffy heart is ready for rape.

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 15:09

Lets face it, you cannot deny the fact that the beatles had an influence on progressive rock. They may not have invented it but they sure did contribute many elements of the musicical genre. they did things that no other band had done before, just like zappa and floyd. And they deserve just as much credit as them.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 15:40
Can we kill off this idea of the Beatles "Producing the first concept album". I assume Moribund is referring to Sgt. Pepper. Whereas there was an original concept behind it of an imaginary band playing the songs and they would all be linked together, they got bored with the idea after the first two songs and couldn't be a*rsed to finish it off. It's only the reprise of Sgt Pepper before A Day In the Life that gives it a concept album "feel".

Having said that, the Beatles certainly revolutionised recording (I agree with the person who said that this was largely down to George Martin (and some drugs)) and paved the way for major advancements in the music world.

Posted By: AtomHeartMother
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 16:02

I believe he is also known for being the "human metronome". Never off the beat, never.

-------------
"http://tinypic.com"">

Posted By: BigHairyMonster
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 16:52
I agree with the thoughts that The Beatles were revolutionary in their use of the studio, but this was as much George Martin's doing as it was John, Paul, George, or Ringo.  What really surprises me is that every time I hear this "first progressive" argument, it always revolves around the same groups.  I feel as though the progressive movement was evolutionary, and would not be what it became without all of the groups involved.  What bugs me though is that I always hear Beatles, Beach Boys, King Crimson, Zappa, Love, Nice, and Syd-era Floyd as being responsible.

The bands that don't get mentioned?  The Red Krayola, The Pretty Things, and most importantly...Touch.  This band (Touch) gets no mention in these conversations at all, even though their lone album influenced Jon Anderson, Tony Banks, and Kansas.

-------------

Big Hairy Monster's debut CD
"View" coming soon!
www.bighairymonster.com

Posted By: Odd24
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 16:56

Can anyone tell me what time signature the Beatles' "Hapiness is a warm gun" is in? Sounds like a regular Gentle Giant song to me...

-------------
Right down the line

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:37

Odd24:

Most is in 4/4.  However, the middle section ("When I hold you, in my arms...") switches to 6/8. 

All:

The question is not whether Zappa et al were creating progressive music before The Beatles; the question is: who were those who became the seminal progressive bands listening to and being influenced by?  Yes, "intellectuals" like Fripp certainly knew Zappa.  But most bands were listening to mostly other "mainstream" bands, the "biggest" one of which would have been The Beatles.  Indeed, the first three "mainstream prog bands - Pink Floyd, Moody Blues and King Crimson - all admit to being influenced by The Beatles to one degree or another.  True, they may also have been influenced by others, but The Beatles were at very least the main if not primary influence.

Re Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles were actually creating proto-prog long before it.  Certainly much of Revolver is proto-prog, including She Said, Think For Yourself, Eleanor Rigby and, most obviously, Tomorrow Never Knows.  However, one could arguably go back to Norwegian Wood, which - although in a standard time signature and using a fairly straightforward chord progression - is decidedly "minimalist" for rock, and incorportes both sitar and harmonium.

However, The Beatles' most progressive stuff is found on Magical Mystery Tour: Strawberry Fields, Blue Jay Way, I Am The Walrus.  And then some of The White Album (Yer Blues, I'm So Tired, Everybody's Got Something to Hide, Happiness is a Warm Gun, et al).  And of course some of Abbey Road.

Re their "revolutionary" studio techniques, they were nothing of the sort - though they had never been applied to rock before.  The truth is (and this comes directly from Paul McCartney and George Martin) that The Beatles were listening to Les Paul, and George Martin, Paul and John were all very influenced by what Les was doing with recording technology.  After all, Les had been using "studio tricks" (including splitting tracks, looping and using backward guitar) since the mid-50s.  The Beatles (who played two of Les' songs when they were just a skiffle group on the streets of Liverpool) incorporated Les' techniques in their production.  (As an aside, when Les won the Audio Engineering Society Lifetime Achievement Award, it was George Martin who handed it to him.  And then, as a joke (but a serious one), when Martin won it, they had Les hand it to him!)

Yes, Zappa and other preceded The Beatles re creating "progressive" rock.  However, because they were the biggest "mainstream" band, The Beatles were a main if not primary influence on most if not all of those who became the standard-bearers of prog.

Peace.

Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:55
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother AtomHeartMother wrote:

I believe he is also known for being the "human metronome". Never off the beat, never.

The great thing about ringo is not only that he keeps a perfect beat, but he has such a good sound and can keep up with the rest of the band while playing great beats. Just because he dosn't smash up his kit like kieth moon dosn't mean he isn't a talented musician.

Posted By: TheBarbarian
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 20:07
I think that to understand why prog came about when it did and how it did it's more than just the Beatles it's more than any individual band.

For a start you have to look at the cultural influence, it's no co-incidence that the release of both Sgt Pepper's, Floyd's debut et al it was the year of the summer of Love and psychadelia was hitting full swing.

So in my opinoin prog was coming as the idea of longer drug influenced songs and the will to show of musical skill and be more complex was taking a grip on many of the artists.

Many of the prime movers in the prog world of the late 60s/early 70s were all around at the time and doing some far out stuff as it was. But few of them got a great deal of recognition. This is where the Beatles come in because as a well established band their divergence from the standard pop rock forumla bouight light to a new approach. This therefore allows those who do similar things to come to the fore because their ideas and works become more acceptable.

I think it is fair to say that without the Beatles prog may have been a smaller and less developed genre, but it would have still begun. The fact is that if they didn't do it someone else would have done.

So yes I suppose I would say the Beatles were among the first (whether or not they were THE first is debatable) but not the inventors for the inventor was the atmosphere in the music world at the time. Just as in 1977 people had grown tired of the old guard and wanted something frwsh so too I feel that the liberated youth of the 60s also wanted something further away than the three minute pop songs hence psychadelia and then its more refined and developed cousin: prog.

Weel so I think anyway.

Posted By: Proglover
Date Posted: August 07 2005 at 21:24

Sorry Guys....Zappa was lightyears ahead of the Beatles...AND HE NEVER DID DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sgt. Pepper Album was considered the foundation of prog because it was a concept album.....however I doubt whether it was the FIRST concept album.

Also the Beatles were not the ONLY band to come over from England during the British invasion. Yes, it is true the Beatles brought with them alot of influences that would later influence prog music, but so did those other bands which came from England around the same time...the only difference is, the Beatles were more popular.

I do honor and respect the Beatles for their place in rock history. They proved that rock bands could write their own music.....and that's saying something.....but that being said, once again Frank Zappa was a MILLION YEARS ahead of the Beatles and I must once again reiterate...HE NEVER DID DRUGS!!!

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 00:01

Proglover:

Define "ahead."

The request is rhetorical.  Yes, Zappa was influenced by Edgar Varese and Karlheinz Stockhausen, just to mention two.  And he incorporated other genres into his music before they did.

But you make a fundamental error here.  The Beatles had little interest in that sort of "progressiveness."  Their music progressed far more "naturally" - or "organically," if you prefer.  Sure, Zappa was using all sorts of oddball and bizarre (for rock) ideas and influences, but that doesn't mean he was "ahead" of The Beatles in any way.  It simply means he had different influences, and took his music in a different direction.  And I repeat that, with the exception of GG and KC (and, perhaps to a lesser degree, JT) the other seminal prog groups - PF, MB, VDGG, Yes, Genesis, ELP - were influenced by The Beatles and/or others, but not Zappa.  And even KC and GG admit to Beatles influence as well.

And by the way, if you really believe that hogwash about Zappa never doing drugs, I have about seven dozen bridges to sell you!

Peace.

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 00:05
Hey maani, thanx for closing that thread about Boston or whatever....I'm really getting sick of those people saying the same things over and over again! I know this comment is unrelated

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 07:58
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

Sorry Guys....Zappa was lightyears ahead of the Beatles...AND HE NEVER DID DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

The Sgt. Pepper Album was considered the foundation of prog because it was a concept album.....however I doubt whether it was the FIRST concept album.

Also the Beatles were not the ONLY band to come over from England during the British invasion. Yes, it is true the Beatles brought with them alot of influences that would later influence prog music, but so did those other bands which came from England around the same time...the only difference is, the Beatles were more popular.

I do honor and respect the Beatles for their place in rock history. They proved that rock bands could write their own music.....and that's saying something.....but that being said, once again Frank Zappa was a MILLION YEARS ahead of the Beatles and I must once again reiterate...HE NEVER DID DRUGS!!!

Pardon me for repeating myself, but Sgt Pepper is NOT a concept album. The Beatles have said that is started off that way but they couldn't be bothered to finish it. It's just a collection of songs. If there is a link between them then I can't see it.

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 08:02
Originally posted by Odd24 Odd24 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what time signature the Beatles' "Hapiness is a warm gun" is in? Sounds like a regular Gentle Giant song to me...

I think there's a bit where it goes into 6/8 but Ringo carries on in 4/4. The most complicated song (time signature-wise) they ever recorded. What about the "Mother Superior jump the gun" bit? isn't that in bars of 9 and 10?

Posted By: M. B. Zapelini
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 08:15

IMHO, there were two THE BEATLES bands: the first made two minute pop songs better than anybody, and the other one (which started with "Revolver") clearly researched for new ideas, although most of those ideas were not fully developed. So, the "second Beatles band" are one of the "partners in crime", along with Zappa, Love, and lots of other bands which helped to develop prog-rock. So who started prog-rock? I don't know. I'm afraid that someday we will be discussing why prog-rock died...

A personnal note: few weeks ago, I was heavily criticized for calling Queen's musicians as amazing... If they're not, can we use the term "musician" to The Beatles's members? Of course Lennon & McCartney were fantastic songwriters, McCartney was a talented multi-instrumentalist and Harrison was a good guitar player - but as instrumentalist, they were in general below the standards.

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 09:47

It wasn't the Beatles that invented Prog, but :

James Prog

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 09:56

chopper:

Right you are.  I had forgotten that the "mother superior" section is alternating bars of 9 and 10.

Peace.

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:06
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Proglover:

Define "ahead."

The request is rhetorical.  Yes, Zappa was influenced by Edgar Varese and Karlheinz Stockhausen, just to mention two.  And he incorporated other genres into his music before they did.

But you make a fundamental error here.  The Beatles had little interest in that sort of "progressiveness."  Their music progressed far more "naturally" - or "organically," if you prefer.  Sure, Zappa was using all sorts of oddball and bizarre (for rock) ideas and influences, but that doesn't mean he was "ahead" of The Beatles in any way.  It simply means he had different influences, and took his music in a different direction.  And I repeat that, with the exception of GG and KC (and, perhaps to a lesser degree, JT) the other seminal prog groups - PF, MB, VDGG, Yes, Genesis, ELP - were influenced by The Beatles and/or others, but not Zappa.  And even KC and GG admit to Beatles influence as well.

And by the way, if you really believe that hogwash about Zappa never doing drugs, I have about seven dozen bridges to sell you!

Peace.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE THAT ZAPPA NEVER DID DRUGS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?..................OH WAIT A MINUTE...I THINK HE DID TRY SMOKING SOMETHING ONCE......AND IT MADE HIS THROAT HURT..AND HE NEVER TRIED IT AGAIN.....THE MAN FIRED PEOPLE IN HIS BAND WHEN HE FOUND OUT THEY WERE DOING DRUGS........HE OPENLY AND PUBLICALLY DENOUNCED DRUG USE......SORRY MAANI BUT YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!.........Now, ok let me catch my breath......my comments about Zappa being light years ahead of the Beatles was in reference to his experimentation, his genius in composition, the tightness of his band....he went places with his music that the Beatles could only dream of.....FIRST off, all due respect to the Beatles but from a technical standpoint, they weren't great musicians by any stretch of the imagination.....from a technical standpoint Zappa's band wiped the floor with them, from a compositional standpoint, Zappa wrote complex, sophisticated, intricate music that once again the Beatles could never do because, number one they didn't have the mind for it, and two, they did not have the technical skill to pull it off......AND ONCE AGAIN............ZAPPA DID NOT DO DRUGS.....GET OVER IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:14

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 15:30

Proglover:

Define "ahead."

Peace.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE THAT ZAPPA NEVER DID DRUGS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?..................OH WAIT A MINUTE...I THINK HE DID TRY SMOKING SOMETHING ONCE......AND IT MADE HIS THROAT HURT..AND HE NEVER TRIED IT AGAIN.....THE MAN FIRED PEOPLE IN HIS BAND WHEN HE FOUND OUT THEY WERE DOING DRUGS........HE OPENLY AND PUBLICALLY DENOUNCED DRUG USE......SORRY MAANI BUT YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!.........Now, ok let me catch my breath......my comments about Zappa being light years ahead of the Beatles was in reference to his experimentation, his genius in composition, the tightness of his band....he went places with his music that the Beatles could only dream of.....FIRST off, all due respect to the Beatles but from a technical standpoint, they weren't great musicians by any stretch of the imagination.....from a technical standpoint Zappa's band wiped the floor with them, from a compositional standpoint, Zappa wrote complex, sophisticated, intricate music that once again the Beatles could never do because, number one they didn't have the mind for it, and two, they did not have the technical skill to pull it off......AND ONCE AGAIN............ZAPPA DID NOT DO DRUGS.....GET OVER IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

BUT

For all his skills and virtuosity, Zappa could not write songs that touched as many people as the Beatles did.

He could not write songs that went straight into folklore, and he could not bite his tongue, but he HAD to express himself ALL the time.

This is not to belittle the great man's work, but really, one cannot compare Zappa to the Beatles and come out saying that one is better than the other in any degree of certainty.

The Beatles were the greatest rock band on the planet ever, and Lennon/McCartney were an unparalleled songwriting duo - Simon and Garfunkel not too far behind.

Zappa was the greatest rock composer ever. But he didn't change the world of rock music like the Beatles did.

The two are polar opposites - why even try to compare them?

Posted By: beterdedthnred4
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 15:42
The Beatles (and to a lesser degree the Beach Boys) brought the possibilities of rock as art, and indeed any popular music as art, to the masses, and for that they deserve a gold medal.  I'm not sure how I'd like to see "Please Please Me" in the Archives, but I'd like to see them make it in here someday.

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 15:48

i dont enjoy beatles'

prefare 'black sabbath or led zeppelin'

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 15:59

[/QUOTE]

The great thing about ringo is not only that he keeps a perfect beat, but he has such a good sound and can keep up with the rest of the band while playing great beats. Just because he dosn't smash up his kit like kieth moon dosn't mean he isn't a talented musician.

[/QUOTE]

thank you.

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 17:15

Proglover:

Define "ahead."

Peace.

BUT

For all his skills and virtuosity, Zappa could not write songs that touched as many people as the Beatles did.

He could not write songs that went straight into folklore, and he could not bite his tongue, but he HAD to express himself ALL the time.

This is not to belittle the great man's work, but really, one cannot compare Zappa to the Beatles and come out saying that one is better than the other in any degree of certainty.

The Beatles were the greatest rock band on the planet ever, and Lennon/McCartney were an unparalleled songwriting duo - Simon and Garfunkel not too far behind.

Zappa was the greatest rock composer ever. But he didn't change the world of rock music like the Beatles did.

The two are polar opposites - why even try to compare them?

I dont think that was Zappa's goal....I wouldn't say that Zappa COULDN'T write songs like that...I believe he CHOSE not to.....that wasn't what Zappa was about. His philosophy on music was COMPLETELY different......and YES of course the Beatles influenced more people than Frank Zappa.....and that's because Zappa was so "OUT THERE" and AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE......how the heck can you influence someone when you are lightyears ahead of EVERYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!........and influence must be taken with a grain of salt.....Zappa was never about influencing people because he couldn't care less!!!....I mean lets be honest some bands were influenced by KISS.....so, once again influence means nothing to me.

Secondly what's wrong with not biting your tongue????.....what's wrong with ALWAYS expressing yourself???.....I'll answer that.....NOTHING!!!....hee hee.

Thirdly the Beatles are an IMPORTANT band in the history of rock and yes they did break alot of ground and broke down barriers....BUT, the Beatles ARE NOT the greatest rock band ever on planet earth.....In my humble opinion.

Posted By: SonicTemple
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 17:29

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

i like the beatles a lot but all of my friends (and probably most of my teenage generation) do not see them as a phoenomenom or as good songwriters. The whole 62-66 period is all happy and poppy and sounds samey. it only got slightly more interesting in the latter years with more realistic and depressing stuff.

I have a few of their albums and they are great, and me and my friends appreciate that at the time they were the best songwriters and had such a major influence (and still do). same with elvis, but they really cant compare to the modern stuff we listen to!

overall brilliant band... but us new kids cant see why they are given so much praise. maybe they just didnt age well or something! but their influence will never die or be forgotten!

the only thing is, if i or anyone else says a view like this we get sl*gged off, when it is very valid!

Regardless of time, age or era, The Beatles have put forth some of the best songwriting that ever was or has since been.  There are no artists with more classic and timeless songs.  And the beatles are also the most covered band of all time.  Decade after decade their songs continue to be covered over and over by old and new artists.  This is hardly music that was only 'good for it's time'

-------------
Fire Woman, your to blame!

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 19:57

Thought he went heavy on penicillin.........................

Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 20:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

[QUOTE=Proglover]

Pardon me for repeating myself, but Sgt Pepper is NOT a concept album. The Beatles have said that is started off that way but they couldn't be bothered to finish it. It's just a collection of songs. If there is a link between them then I can't see it.

If you check out the liner notes for the 1st CD issue of Sgt  Pepper, wou'll find the original track order listing that (I think the idea was for you to programme your CD player and hear what), the Beatles first thought of issuing - an album of songs which can be shuffled about, doesn't give strong support to a 'concept'

Posted By: MustShaveBeard
Date Posted: August 08 2005 at 20:24

There's a difference between art rock and prog (though prog is part of the art rock genre). The Beatles were art rock but not prog- there.

BTW, about Ringo, I think his drumming on "Day in the Life" is amazing (not technically which I couldn't care less about, but feeling...ly)

-------------
Your life or your lupins!!!

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 03:05

I dont think that was Zappa's goal....

Of course it wasn't Zappa's goal - but there's no denying that very few CAN write songs like Lennon and McCartney did, otherwise everyone would and we'd be spoilt for choice.

I wouldn't say that Zappa COULDN'T write songs like that...

I would though - it takes a very rare talent, and formal composition methods are a hindrance to that sort of talent.

I believe he CHOSE not to.....

I agree that he chose not to try to follow that path - it's not a black and white argument

that wasn't what Zappa was about. His philosophy on music was COMPLETELY different......and YES of course the Beatles influenced more people than Frank Zappa.....and that's because Zappa was so "OUT THERE" and AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE......how the heck can you influence someone when you are lightyears ahead of EVERYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!........and influence must be taken with a grain of salt.....Zappa was never about influencing people because he couldn't care less!!!....I mean lets be honest some bands were influenced by KISS.....so, once again influence means nothing to me.

Secondly what's wrong with not biting your tongue????.....what's wrong with ALWAYS expressing yourself???.....I'll answer that.....NOTHING!!!....hee hee.

Of course there's nothing wrong with that approach - I never said there was. There is no "wrong" approach to music. You completely misunderstand - I'm saying that you cannot compare the two types of genius, as they are in opposite forms of music.

There are 2 forms of music.

Music written as art and music written "for the people".

There's a lot of cross-over, of course, as in any genre, but those 2 forms stand. Music written as art tends to use formal compositional methods, whereas music written for the people is written more intuitively.

To compare classical music and folk music is hare-brained, IMO - and that is what you are doing comparing Zappa to the Beatles. 

Thirdly the Beatles are an IMPORTANT band in the history of rock and yes they did break alot of ground and broke down barriers....BUT, the Beatles ARE NOT the greatest rock band ever on planet earth.....In my humble opinion.

You're welcome to your opinion, but no band has ever created such waves in the world of rock music - or the world in general, especially with "folk" music of such high quality - and compared to other folk (read "pop") music, the Beatle's music is of an exceptionally high quality. That's why people are STILL influenced by them today and why they remain the greatest rock band ever.

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 08:07

"Sorry Guys....Zappa was lightyears ahead of the Beatles...AND HE NEVER DID DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!"

OK, let's compare the ten achievements of The Beatles as listed in Moribunds original post with the ground-breaking achievements of Zappa.

Er...

Not that I have anything against Zappa, I just can't agree with this statement.

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 09:47

.......ummmm......Cert, I beg to differ. I believe that Freddie Mercury was just as much the song writer as Lennon and McCartney. I believe Freddie was a melodic genius.

.......You wanna talk about great song writers......Elton John, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce.

I respect the Beatles a GREAT deal and I admire their place in rock history....but the Beatles just don't touch me the way they touch you...that's all.

Personally I can name ten bands right now that I think are BETTER than the Beatles (and I'll exclude Zappa to prove my point)....Gentle GIant, King Crimson, YES, Queen, Gong, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Mahavushnu Orchestra, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Colossuem II.

And when I say that Zappa was ahead of the Beatles, Im not trying to discredit the Beatles....Zappa was ahead of EVERYONE!!!

and what is achievement really??????????.........if you ask me Zappa achieved much more than the Beatles and he outlasted them too!!.....I don't place my stock in record sales, or popularity, or what Rolling Stone Magazine says...that stuff is superficial, trite, and trivial. Zappa was never about that stuff and I respect him alot because of it. Zappa was a TRUE musician. AND YES, I still maintain that ZAPPA was ahead of the beatles MUSCIALLY, and COMPOSITIONALLY.

For the record I never said that I DID NOT LIKE THE BEATLES....I do like them, and I think they wrote great songs, and I do think that their music is of HIGH QUALITY......BUT...THEY AIN'T ZAPPA!!!!!!!!!!!

oh by the way........"I realy, really admire (Zappa). He's atleast trying to do something different with the form. It's incredible how he has his band as tight as a real orchestra. I'm very impressed by the kind of discipline he can bring to rock that NOBODY ELSE CAN SEEM TO BRING TO IT"..............that my friends is a quote from JOHN LENNON.....hahaha, deal with it!!

And yes it is true that bands like YES were influenced by the Beatles, but Rick Wakeman is quoted as saying....."We in England were really interested in what some Americans were doing, like FRANK ZAPPA, he seemed to be ahead us in many ways"

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 10:44

I have to respond to that last post from proglover.

1) "if you ask me Zappa achieved much more than the Beatles" - okay, let's have some examples that compare with the list of Beatles achievements in the first post of this thread.

2) you prefer a number of bands to The Beatles, that's fine, but the fact is they are generally recognised as the greatest band ever. I mean, I prefer a number of football teams to Chelsea, but I can't deny that they were the best team in the country last season. The evidence is there!

3) Oh, and didn't Frank Zappa once rip off the cover of Sgt Pepper for one of his albums?

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:16

.......ummmm......Cert, I beg to differ. I believe that Freddie Mercury was just as much the song writer as Lennon and McCartney. I believe Freddie was a melodic genius.

Very true indeed. It doesn't change my statement that there have been very few, however - so I don't think we differ at all on this .

.......You wanna talk about great song writers......Elton John, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce.

None of them up there with Lennon and McCartney - or Mercury (IMO).

I respect the Beatles a GREAT deal and I admire their place in rock history....but the Beatles just don't touch me the way they touch you...that's all.

That's fair enough, but you cannot ignore the impact they had on the world that is still resonating through music in general.

Personally I can name ten bands right now that I think are BETTER than the Beatles (and I'll exclude Zappa to prove my point)....Gentle GIant, King Crimson, YES, Queen, Gong, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Mahavushnu Orchestra, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Colossuem II.

Hmm. All prog bands. That says a lot for your taste - and also quite a bit about how you appreciate music for what it is, as opposed to how much you like it. I'd be interested in your opinion on ABBA.

And when I say that Zappa was ahead of the Beatles, Im not trying to discredit the Beatles....Zappa was ahead of EVERYONE!!!

Only in certain ways! In others, the Beatles were the ones who were ahead of everyone - if you think about it.

and what is achievement really??????????.........

What if there were no such thing as a hypothetical question

if you ask me Zappa achieved much more than the Beatles and he outlasted them too!!.....I

Can't argue with the outlasting bit, but on the achivements side, Beethoven produced less than Mozart - but who was the most accomplished composer?

don't place my stock in record sales, or popularity, or what Rolling Stone Magazine says...that stuff is superficial, trite, and trivial. Zappa was never about that stuff and I respect him alot because of it. Zappa was a TRUE musician. AND YES, I still maintain that ZAPPA was ahead of the beatles MUSCIALLY, and COMPOSITIONALLY.

That's debatable, as you do not justify your points on Zappa, merely state them, but I've made my point.

For the record I never said that I DID NOT LIKE THE BEATLES....I do like them, and I think they wrote great songs, and I do think that their music is of HIGH QUALITY......BUT...THEY AIN'T ZAPPA!!!!!!!!!!!

oh by the way........"I realy, really admire (Zappa). He's atleast trying to do something different with the form. It's incredible how he has his band as tight as a real orchestra. I'm very impressed by the kind of discipline he can bring to rock that NOBODY ELSE CAN SEEM TO BRING TO IT"..............that my friends is a quote from JOHN LENNON.....hahaha, deal with it!!

A great artist always pays respect to other great artists

And yes it is true that bands like YES were influenced by the Beatles, but Rick Wakeman is quoted as saying....."We in England were really interested in what some Americans were doing, like FRANK ZAPPA, he seemed to be ahead us in many ways"

And so do other, not quite as great artists...

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:18

Originally posted by BigHairyMonster BigHairyMonster wrote:

(...)

The bands that don't get mentioned?  The Red Krayola, The Pretty Things, and most importantly...Touch.  This band (Touch) gets no mention in these conversations at all, even though their lone album influenced Jon Anderson, Tony Banks, and Kansas.

You need to speak with Dick Heath - he mentions Touch quite frequently, and The Pretty Things get discussed once in a while.

I'm not familiar with The Red Krayola, though - maybe a new thread on these more obscure pre-prog bands is in order?

Posted By: Fantômas
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:31
You're kidding, right?

-------------
And above all, is punk

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 17:35

I have to respond to that last post from proglover.

1) "if you ask me Zappa achieved much more than the Beatles" - okay, let's have some examples that compare with the list of Beatles achievements in the first post of this thread.

2) you prefer a number of bands to The Beatles, that's fine, but the fact is they are generally recognised as the greatest band ever. I mean, I prefer a number of football teams to Chelsea, but I can't deny that they were the best team in the country last season. The evidence is there!

3) Oh, and didn't Frank Zappa once rip off the cover of Sgt Pepper for one of his albums?

Ok...first of, as I stated before what is achievement????????...........It doesn't matter how long your list of achievements are, sometimes the greatest achievements are those not seen to the public, or printed in Rolling Stone Magazine.....Zappa was a MUSICIAN first and foremost.....NOT A ROCK STAR, NOT A POP STAR like the Beatles but a MUSICIAN FIRST!!!.....that within itself is achievement enough considering the horrendous commercialism which has plagued music since the 70s.

His Discography is an achievement......Zappa wrote AN ENORMOUS amount of music. It's quite scary actually.

HE OUTLASTED THE BEATLES!!!.......He was writing albums in the 60s, 70s, 80, and early 90s right up to his death, while the Beatles dissolved in late 1969 early 1970.

The Man (Zappa that is)...has the respect of those not only in the Jazz world but also in the Classical world. Mainly because he wrote Classical and Jazz music. His orchestral works were performed by Pierre Boulez one of the top figures in 20th century classical music. Zappa's name appears in an encyclopdeia of classical musicians....I have yet to see McCartney or Lennon in that encyclopdeia.

Zappa's discipline rubbed onto his band, making them the TIGHTEST band in HISTORY....I've never, ever heard a band sound so good live. I listen to live Albums of Zappa, and I say to myself.."they must have been tampered with, because his live performances are too damn perfect."

When alot of prog bands gave way to the pressure of commercialism, Zappa remained true and strong and never went the route of commercialism.

And to top this one off......YES it is true, Zappa did "rip off" as you say, the cover for the Beatles Sgt Pepper ablum......But, it was in an attempt to poke fun at the Beatles, it was a parody. Zappa was not paying homage to the Beatles....no no no, he was MAKING FUN OF THEM!!

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 17:54

Very true indeed. It doesn't change my statement that there have been very few, however - so I don't think we differ at all on this .

None of them up there with Lennon and McCartney - or Mercury (IMO).

That's fair enough, but you cannot ignore the impact they had on the world that is still resonating through music in general.

Hmm. All prog bands. That says a lot for your taste - and also quite a bit about how you appreciate music for what it is, as opposed to how much you like it. I'd be interested in your opinion on ABBA.

Only in certain ways! In others, the Beatles were the ones who were ahead of everyone - if you think about it.

and what is achievement really??????????.........

What if there were no such thing as a hypothetical question

if you ask me Zappa achieved much more than the Beatles and he outlasted them too!!.....I

Can't argue with the outlasting bit, but on the achivements side, Beethoven produced less than Mozart - but who was the most accomplished composer?

don't place my stock in record sales, or popularity, or what Rolling Stone Magazine says...that stuff is superficial, trite, and trivial. Zappa was never about that stuff and I respect him alot because of it. Zappa was a TRUE musician. AND YES, I still maintain that ZAPPA was ahead of the beatles MUSCIALLY, and COMPOSITIONALLY.

That's debatable, as you do not justify your points on Zappa, merely state them, but I've made my point.

A great artist always pays respect to other great artists

And so do other, not quite as great artists...

Ummm.....HAHAHAHA.....I HATE ABBA.....Umm we are talking about the group that did 'Dancing Queen' right???...if so, then yeah...I don't like them. They might be excellent musicians I don't know....but  a song like 'Dancing Queen' just hurts me to no end...HAHA

Ummmm I think there would be alot of people to take issue with your Beethoven and Mozart comment. I love both Beethoven and Mozart.....but whose the most accomplished composer?????????............some WOULD say Mozart.....some WOULD say Beethoven. that's somewhat of an opinion-based answer.

Once again I would just like to state that I DO ADMIRE THE BEATLES, and I would never ever try to discredit them and not recognize the huge impact they made on rock music and popular music in general, and I will be one of the first people to openly and publically admit...YES THE BEATLES DID INFLUENCE MORE PEOPLE THAN ZAPPA......but once again, I reiterate, Zappa's music was so "weird" and "underground" and "out there", who could he really influence?....How can you influence anyone when you're not even in the same gaxlaxy as everyone else?????????

The Beatles were a GREAT band, due to their influence and importance in History and they wrote great songs along the way.......which I enjoy....but for me that's where it ends. No disrespect. Zappa, was an artist and musician of high caliber.....and with all due repect, Zappa had more musical talent in one strand of his hair than all four Beatles combined. If you are trying to convince me that Zappa's musical GENIUS was on the same level as McCartney's and Lennon's musical TALENT, then you aren't going to get very far with me. .....(I still love you guys though....try not to be too harsh in your responses....hee hee)

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 18:13
All I can say is - if there was a vote for the top 100 songs of all time, who would have the most entries - The Beatles or Frank Zappa?

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 18:26

All I can say is - if there was a vote for the top 100 songs of all time, who would have the most entries - The Beatles or Frank Zappa?

Yeah, I see your point, but how does that prove which one had more influence on progressive rock?

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 18:33

Proglover:

"How the heck can you influence anyone when you're light years ahead of them?"  Have you ever heard of Miles Davis?  And he's just one of many.  He was light years ahead of everyone of his time, yet he influenced more jazz musicians (and certainly trumpeters) than any musician of his, or maybe any other, time.

Zappa "outlasted" The Beatles?  Hmmm...in 100 years, let's see how many Zappa songs are still being listened to, as opposed to how many Beatles songs are.  The "greatness" of an artist - and particularly a rock band, since the genre is, even at 40+, relatively "new" - is not in how long a group lasts during its own time, or even how many songs it writes or are played on the radio during that time.  True "greateness" will be determined by who "stands the test of time" - who will be remembered 30, 50, 100, 200 years hence, and how much of their music will still be listened to, much less considered "relevant."  In this case, while Zappa may well claim a stake in history for his inventiveness and creativity, he will be little more than a footnote compared to The Beatles.

As for Zappa and drugs, let's just say that I spent a couple of years in a social circle with Moonunit Zappa, and I can assure you that what you think you know is false.

As for Zappa firing musicians for drug use, this was only true if he found them using drugs when they were rehearsing, recording or performing.  However, when they were outside Zappa's "domain," they were free to do as they wished.  Indeed, if what you are saying were true, then Zappa would never have hired (among others) Jimmy Carl Black (a heroin user) or George Duke, Aynsley Dunbar, Howard Kaylan, Ian Underwood or numerous other musicians who smoked pot regularly, and some of whom were well-known acid-users.

Before you make authoritative broad-brush statements, you ought to consider that it just might possibly be that someone else knows more than you do about these things.

Peace.

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 20:33

That means nothing in my eyes...sorry.

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 20:59

Proglover:

"How the heck can you influence anyone when you're light years ahead of them?"  Have you ever heard of Miles Davis?  And he's just one of many.  He was light years ahead of everyone of his time, yet he influenced more jazz musicians (and certainly trumpeters) than any musician of his, or maybe any other, time.

Zappa "outlasted" The Beatles?  Hmmm...in 100 years, let's see how many Zappa songs are still being listened to, as opposed to how many Beatles songs are.  The "greatness" of an artist - and particularly a rock band, since the genre is, even at 40+, relatively "new" - is not in how long a group lasts during its own time, or even how many songs it writes or are played on the radio during that time.  True "greateness" will be determined by who "stands the test of time" - who will be remembered 30, 50, 100, 200 years hence, and how much of their music will still be listened to, much less considered "relevant."  In this case, while Zappa may well claim a stake in history for his inventiveness and creativity, he will be little more than a footnote compared to The Beatles.

As for Zappa and drugs, let's just say that I spent a couple of years in a social circle with Moonunit Zappa, and I can assure you that what you think you know is false.

As for Zappa firing musicians for drug use, this was only true if he found them using drugs when they were rehearsing, recording or performing.  However, when they were outside Zappa's "domain," they were free to do as they wished.  Indeed, if what you are saying were true, then Zappa would never have hired (among others) Jimmy Carl Black (a heroin user) or George Duke, Aynsley Dunbar, Howard Kaylan, Ian Underwood or numerous other musicians who smoked pot regularly, and some of whom were well-known acid-users.

Before you make authoritative broad-brush statements, you ought to consider that it just might possibly be that someone else knows more than you do about these things.

Peace.

Once again I reiterate.....YOU CAN FIND ZAPPA'S NAME IN AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CLASSICAL MUSICIANS.......I've yet to see either McCartney or Lennon's name is such a book. If you wanna talk about outlasting..lets talk about it. I don't care what the general public thinks, I don't care what some new "hip" rock magazine has said, I don't care about the storytales and fables that have been rammed down our throats since the begiining of time, telling us that the Beatles are the greatest band in the world.....NOT IN MY WORLD BUDDY!!........You know what, I would bet, that more people know alot more Beatles songs than Mozart Symphonies, but if you are telling me that the Beatles are greater than Mozart, I will LAUGH IN YOUR FACE. HELL....I'm sure that kids in this generation know more Britney Spears songs than Beatles songs.....WOW, that's really a measure of greatest..."how many songs do I know by a particular band"......silly quite silly. Have you TALKED to kids today....most kids I talk to HATE the Beatles.....they hate anything that's not in their generation...(I do realize that is one huge generalization....but you get my drift).........You guys are talking about FAKE, SUPERFICIAL nonsense.....geee....how many Beatles songs are played on the radio compared to Zapps songs...wow guys that doesn't impress me, and I know it wouldn't impress Zappa...HELL, Zappa NEVER got his songs played on the radio even when he was alive. Zappa wasn't about all that trite trivial garbage.

Now it regards to his drug use or lack thereof.....HAVE YOU EVER READ HIS autobiography or ANY book written about Zappa????????...............This is a portion taken directly from his autobiography.....read it carefully guys

"The Drug Question comes up all the time in interviews because people refuse to believe that I DON'T use them. There seems to be a consensus in America- since so many people, in all walks of life, use drugs-that a person can't possibly be 'normal' if he doesn't use them. If I tell them I don't do drugs, they look at me like I'm crazy and question me about it. Between 1962 and 1968, on maybe ten occasions, I experienced the 'joys' of marijuana. It gave me a sore throat and made me sleepy. I couldn't understand why people liked it so much."............

Now unless you wanna call Zappa a LIAR....that's your call. And as far as moonunit is concerned oh my dear dear friend maani, wasn't Latoya Jackson who said a whole bunch of garbage in regards to her family, and wasn't it Latoya Jackson who claimed that she WROTE 'Thriller' when everyone and their mother knows damn well Rod Temperton wrote that song...so kids, and their stories.......I don't care what moonunit said......If I didnt hear it from the horses mouth I ain't buying

Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 21:26

for f**k's sake nobody cares

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 22:40
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

for f**k's sake nobody cares

HAHAHAHAHAHA, right you are my annoyed friend

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 23:36

Proglover:

Your near-maniacal fanaticism makes you hopeless with regard to understanding or accepting one jot or tittle of what is being said.  I'm glad you like Zappa.  He's great.  He broke barriers.  He was a super guitarist.  He had a unique approach to composition and arrangement.  But guess what?  He was just a human being.

Get over yourself.  You sound almost certifiable.  (Unlike Certified, who I know to be quite sensible).

Peace.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:43

Proglover:

Your near-maniacal fanaticism makes you hopeless with regard to understanding or accepting one jot or tittle of what is being said.  I'm glad you like Zappa.  He's great.  He broke barriers.  He was a super guitarist.  He had a unique approach to composition and arrangement.  But guess what?  He was just a human being.

Get over yourself.  You sound almost certifiable.  (Unlike Certified, who I know to be quite sensible).

Peace.

OH GOOD LORD.....forgive me if I don't BOW to your OPINIONS......forgive me if I don't abandon my beliefs and follow yours like a little lamb... I'm sorry I have a brain and can think for myself. Perhaps you should GET OVER YOURSELF!!

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:52
Proglover to deny that The Beatles are the most influential and important rock band ever is silly.  I barely like them but I recognize their extreme power over Rock Music, a power never before or after matched.

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:55

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE!!!!!!..............WHAT EXACTLY AM I NOT GETTING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!............I have already said a millions times...I LIKE THE BEATLES!!!!!!!..............I ADMIRE THE BEATLES......I RESPECT THE BEATLES.....BUT IN MY OPINION FRANK ZAPPA IS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................IN MY OPINION.......so get off my back.....and secondly I NEVER attacked you personally......please DO NOT make this personal simply because I REFUSE to succomb to your way of thinking......Sorry I don't jerk off at the shrine of the Beatles....not my cup of tea buddy......Do not call me names when you dont know me....uncool man, very uncool.....if you want to discuss like a mature grown-up then do so, but don't you dare attack me personally...I'm sick and tired of the personal attacks on this site. You don't know me.....Yes i am very passionate about what I believe......Frank Zappa is a Genius and Queen is prog......in fact I dont even know why Im responding.....I could care less what you thinka bout me....infact I sh*t on your opinion of me.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:58

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

Proglover to deny that The Beatles are the most influential and important rock band ever is silly.  I barely like them but I recognize their extreme power over Rock Music, a power never before or after matched.

I NEVER DENIED IT!!!!!!!!!!..............I SWEAR I NEVER DENIED IT..............OH MY GOD.....YOU PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN...........I respect the Beatles and I like the Beatles..........but i'm not going to lick their balls because YOU guys say I HAVE to.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 01:10

And thirdly may I just point out, that you guys just love to look at the world through a Caucasian point of view.....I mean lets face facts...the Beatles were not everything to everyone.....

To WHITE people.....the Beatles were god.......for Black people.....ummmm....not so much!!!!!!!!

I know you guys rule the world and everything, but just because the "master race" says the Beatles were the greatest band in the world, doesn't mean it's true.

In the 60s......for black people it wasn't about the Beatles....infact, who gave a sh*t about the Beatles when there was Motown. Luther Vandros (God rest his soul) once said....."what ever the Beatles meant to those screaming teenagers, that's what MoTown meant to me"

Infact the only thing to RIVAL the Beatles in the 60s was MoTown!!!!!!......

So in your world the Beatles rule supreme, but dont you dare impose that on my mind.

Posted By: WillieThePimp
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 01:44
Greatest rock band man, greatest rock band!

-------------
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket

Posted By: mukster
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 01:49

i am sorry, the beatles were a pop band, basic chords, add a few pound of drugs, a hippie with a sitar, nothing to write home about.

i respect them for what they did at the time, but prog, no.         good, well, if you like pop.

prog is obviously prog. beatles are obviously not.

-------------
"Johnny calls the chemist, but the chemist doesn't come"

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 08:08

This discussion has detriorated into a upper case rant from proglover, so I'm leaving it with an extract from Mojo Magazines' Top 100 Albums of All Time

3 - Revolver

19 - The Beatles

24 - Abbey Road

27 - Rubber Soul

51 - Sgt. Pepper

55 - We're only in it for the money

63 - With The Beatles

81 - A Hard Days Night

89 - Hot Rats

'nuff said.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 08:57

Ummm.....HAHAHAHA.....I HATE ABBA.....Umm we are talking about the group that did 'Dancing Queen' right???...if so, then yeah...I don't like them. They might be excellent musicians I don't know....but  a song like 'Dancing Queen' just hurts me to no end...HAHA

I happen to think it's a great song, and that ABBA produced a lot of quality songs that I also like. They are excellent songwriters and modestly good musicians. I'm glad to see that you give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ummmm I think there would be alot of people to take issue with your Beethoven and Mozart comment. I love both Beethoven and Mozart.....but whose the most accomplished composer?????????............some WOULD say Mozart.....some WOULD say Beethoven. that's somewhat of an opinion-based answer.

It was a question, the point of which was to indicate that to compare musicians who had achieved such different things is fruitless, unless you better qualify the grounds on which you are making the comparisons. Of course it's down to opinion...

Once again I would just like to state that I DO ADMIRE THE BEATLES, and I would never ever try to discredit them and not recognize the huge impact they made on rock music and popular music in general, and I will be one of the first people to openly and publically admit...YES THE BEATLES DID INFLUENCE MORE PEOPLE THAN ZAPPA......but once again, I reiterate, Zappa's music was so "weird" and "underground" and "out there", who could he really influence?....How can you influence anyone when you're not even in the same gaxlaxy as everyone else?????????

The Beatles were a GREAT band, due to their influence and importance in History and they wrote great songs along the way.......which I enjoy....but for me that's where it ends. No disrespect. Zappa, was an artist and musician of high caliber.....and with all due repect, Zappa had more musical talent in one strand of his hair than all four Beatles combined. If you are trying to convince me that Zappa's musical GENIUS was on the same level as McCartney's and Lennon's musical TALENT, then you aren't going to get very far with me. .....(I still love you guys though....try not to be too harsh in your responses....hee hee)

Why are you comparing genius with talent?

Are you saying that Zappa was talentless?

I won't agree with that!

I re-iterate, this comparison is pointless unless you make it on specified grounds - in which case this really becomes a separate discussion for a different thread.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 10:21

This discussion has detriorated into a upper case rant from proglover, so I'm leaving it with an extract from Mojo Magazines' Top 100 Albums of All Time

3 - Revolver

19 - The Beatles

24 - Abbey Road

27 - Rubber Soul

51 - Sgt. Pepper

55 - We're only in it for the money

63 - With The Beatles

81 - A Hard Days Night

89 - Hot Rats

'nuff said.

Well when I'm personally attacked what else do you want me to do.....I'm not going to bend over and just take it. So if you don't want me to rant, then don't ATTACK ME....PERIOD.....AND ONCE AGAIN......I COULD CARELESS WHAT A ROCK MAGAZINE SAYS......IT'S SUPERFICIAL GARBAGE.

Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 11:57
Wow...you say you like something more than the beatles and get your head taken off...
I know exactly what proglover is talking about.

Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 17:48

Wrong, dude... Zappa was a GOD, just like Mike Patton, John Zorn, Les Claypool and  Edgar Froese are.

-------------
And above all, is punk

Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 03:26

Les Claypool is an average bass player with some good ideas and a nifty sound.

...can anyone say off-topic

Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 09:57
Claypool isn't average... You may don't like him, that's perfectly acceptable... But, at least, admit that he is not normal, and his bass sounds like no other.

-------------
And above all, is punk

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: April 26 2006 at 00:30
Originally posted by Moribund Moribund wrote:

2. Use the LP as an artform That wasn't the Beatles doing but rather the sleeve designers
  4. DI the bass
  5. Use exotic & orchestral instruments creatively That was more George Martin's influence, he paved the way for them
  6. Produce the first concept album No Mothers of invention album 'Freakout' was
  9. Use many FX and unusual recording techniques (vari-speed, voices thru Leslie Cab, flanging) Stockhausen developed the unusual noises, he started all that, his face appears on Sgt. Peppers sleeve

Try Frank Zappa, Miles Davis fusion albums, also Stockhausen's classical compositions to see who also had a heavy influence on prog. All in all the Beatles were just lucky to have such a fantastic producer/engineer and great sleeve designers, although the Beatles have their moments its funny how the general publisc give them the credit for other peoples work.

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 04:43
the beatles laid down many influences for other musicians to follow, using various instruments, sound effects, orchestral arrangements, which evolved into prog rock. after they stopped touring in 1966 following the "jesus" controversy, they decided to concentrate all their creative energy in the studio, something which they were wanting to do anyway.  ELO were influenced by "i am the walrus", where roy wood and jeff lynne "carried on from where the beatles left off".

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 05:10
I remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan back in 1964. I was 7.
Did they ever do anything near as good as say, "In the Court of the Crimson King", or "The YES album", or what Zappa was doing with "Freak Out" and the later parody album, "We Are Only In It For The Money". Zappa's work with the "Mothers" is light years beyond anything the Beatles did.
I always saw them as kind of cool pop band that later had the money to muck around with the latest musical and recording gadgets of the day. Sure, they influenced a lot of people, but then again, so did the Dave Clark Five, the Stones, and countless other bands of the day. I don't think Frank took the Beatles all that seriously, just a hunch.
As far as them being prog innovators. Not in my book.

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 15:57
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother AtomHeartMother wrote:

i totally agree - in the liverpool "cavern" days ringo was a very successful drummer and very sought after, george martin recognised his talent and technical skill and that was how he ended up in the beatles, he just thought pete best wasn't good enough.

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: magoo
Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 16:57
Fantomas .... your sig fkn rules .. hahahahahah 

Date Posted: May 02 2006 at 17:30
Originally posted by Fantômas Fantômas wrote:

Claypool isn't average... You may don't like him, that's perfectly
acceptable... But, at least, admit that he is not normal, and his bass
sounds like no other.

He sounds pretty average to me, dude.

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Date Posted: May 02 2006 at 17:30
Ooops, dupe!

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: darren
Date Posted: May 03 2006 at 02:08

They set the groundwork for prog by breaking out of the rock and roll boundaries of the time. I also say as much was George Martin as it was the others.

From the stuff I read, a lot of what George Martin did was just to keep Lennon and MacCartney happy. Lennon never liked his voice and always pushed for different effects. MacCartney had a habit of hearing a sound and wanting it in a song, like the piccolo trumpet in "Penny Lane". Both kept on about how they wanted to hear something different. It was Martin that had the idea to use take a steam calliope tape, cut into small lengths, mixed up and spliced back together in random order for "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite". (or was it "Strawberry Fields"?)

The Beatles, although not prog in the true sense, should be in these archives simply for setting the groundwork. 

-------------
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: May 03 2006 at 09:43
Originally posted by Zero the hero Zero the hero wrote:

Just one thing,even though Lennon & McCartney were probably the greatest song writers ever,they,together with George & ringo were crap musicians...Everything is owed to George Martin,without him they would have not been the great sussess they ended up as.

George Martin was the man behind every technique,he judged the way the album was to be produced,the way the effects were to be used,even the one who encouraged them to use Moog & Hammond.

For the time he pushed the studio as a recreational area as far forward as possible...

McCartney a crap bassist?! one of the best around at least in the 60's and 70's. All the music polls at the time attest to that.

Harrison a crap guitarist?! Very unique and can always to be spotted like the best guitarists.

George Martin was the man?! The Beatles came up with most of the ideas for use of new instruments and recording techniques. They also suggested the recording technique used on Sgt Pepper.

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 15:42

Don't forget that proto-prog is the new technology that evolved in the 60's covering everything from novel ideas/philosophy (such as the concept album, long tunes, tunes interconnected without intermissions, mixing of styles, addition of new instruments, sound effects), over novel techniques (new instruments, recording technology) to the final product: the prog tune.

The Beatles made huge contributions to all these elements although they never really fleshed into real prog tunes (except perhaps for 'A Day In the Life').

Conclusion: The Beatles are undoubtedly proto-prog.

Now, King Crimson was an organisation that bonded all these elements together to form an entire album of prog tunes, not just an album with a few prog tunes like the proto prog bands before them (The Nice never made the fullblown prog album but came very close).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk