Print Page | Close Window

Oblivion Sun for the Archives

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46372
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 00:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Oblivion Sun for the Archives
Posted By: Cesar Inca
Subject: Oblivion Sun for the Archives
Date Posted: February 19 2008 at 11:59
I don't remember if this has been suggested before, but... why isn't OBLIVION SUN in PA yet? This is an incredible off-shhot from HAPPY THE MAN and deserve a big place in PA in the same genre as HTM. Their debut album is amazing - check some tracks at http://www.myspace.com/oblivionsun - http://www.myspace.com/oblivionsun  

Kind regards.

Replies:
Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: February 19 2008 at 12:04
We'll check it gladly, Cesar.

-------------

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: February 19 2008 at 14:28
I proposed them a while back and got a negative response; hope they get through this time.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: February 19 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I proposed them a while back and got a negative response; hope they get through this time.

A negative response? Recorgings by Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta keep coming in... and this one got a negative response?... Confused  Well...

Posted By: Rutgers Joe
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 14:34
Their CD is absolutely terrific...a little more aggressive and more focused than HTM...terrific.  

-------------
The original (and very creepy) cover of THE STEVE HOWE ALBUM...hint...look in the water...

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: March 28 2008 at 05:09
Clap

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:45
Late, I had non-PA things I had to deal with through February, but it was being discussed before in Eclectic sans moi, but I have now voted yes for Oblivion Sun.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:52
listening to as well....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:01
sorry I'm at this late.. I know HtM is in Eclectic though I must say Oblivion Sun has a good bit of Heavy material but I also hear Fusion and Symph, so EcProg is probably best for now  (must get that album!)

Date Posted: April 01 2008 at 14:34
I notice that the post-HTM, pre-Oblivion Sun, Wyatt & Whitaker project... "Pedal Giant Animals" has made it into the archive!

Excellent!

-------------
The original (and very creepy) cover of THE STEVE HOWE ALBUM...hint...look in the water...

Date Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by Rutgers Joe Rutgers Joe wrote:

I notice that the post-HTM, pre-Oblivion Sun, Wyatt & Whitaker project... "Pedal Giant Animals" has made it into the archive!

Excellent!

That would be a good motivation to make this long overdue inclusion - like I said in some other thread I've lost track off, OBLIVION SUN sounds very Eclectic Prog to me and it would make perfect sense with the PA standards applied to HTM and Whitaker-Wyatt. Anyway, if it is regarded as some other sub-genre, it will be weird to me but still OBLIVION SUN must be here as soon as possible... if not earlier!! LOL

Kind regards. 

Date Posted: April 17 2008 at 11:44
So, how's it going with OBLIVION SUN'entry in the Archives?

Kind regards.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: April 17 2008 at 21:33
Originally posted by Rutgers Joe Rutgers Joe wrote:

Their CD is absolutely terrific...a little more aggressive and more focused than HTM...terrific.  

I agree,great stuff!!!!

ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2008 at 21:44
I see by the charts EcTeam has rejected them.. as I said awhile ago, I'd be glad to take them in Heavy, any consensus on this?   ..frankly I've always felt HtM belongs in Symph but that's a seperate issue I think

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 20:12
Believe me, Heavy prog would be very inaccurate: only two tracks bear real hard sounding guitars, and mostly in a similar vein to Holding Pattern, not Naikaku or Uriah Heep. Definitely, it isn't pop-related enough as to fit the Crossover prog definition.

Symphonic might as well be the second best choice  -  I have no big problems with that. I'm a HTM fanatic, and I know the Pedal Giant Animals and Oblivion Sun albums almost by heart.

Kind regards. 

Date Posted: April 18 2008 at 20:29
OK

Date Posted: April 19 2008 at 11:26
Lats night I listened to the OBLIVIONS SUN album from the perspective of a PA Collaborator --  the firs tidea that came to mind was that i was more connected to HAPPY THE MAN than PEDAL GIANT ANIMALS. Of course, the inclusion of a couple of harder-than-usual tracks made it clear that it wasn't a HTM-clone, but those Moog solos, those interactions between two keyboards, those sax flourishes, all of them sounded so familiar to me...

Like I said in an earlier post, the energetic side of OBLIVION SUN is definitely more similar to a punchy symphonic prog (HOLDING PATTERN, "Danger Money"-era UK) than to heavy prog.

I'm saying nothing new here... just sharing a thought that had come to mind last night. It wa also a "trick" to keep the thread going on.

Kind regards.      

Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 14:50
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

keep the thread going on.

...and on and on...Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2008 at 14:55
this is the danger of placing the importance of the sub-genre over getting the band included.  What is more important?

if the man offers to take it...  take him up on the offer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 08 2008 at 16:08
YONHOSAGO, a great, obscure avant-prog band from Chile has just been added. And so are a bunch of technical metal, post-rock, prog-related and electronic bands...

... SO WHY IS OBLIVION SUN BEING LEFT IN OBLIVION?...

This is not an entirely obscue band, and their HTM roots should make it really familiar to any prog page (any except for the Archives?)
Attention members from all teams, check this band in right now for God's sake!!!

Kind regards.

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 08:45
Damn near criminal that this band hasn't been added yet.

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:46
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Damn near criminal that this band hasn't been added yet.

I agree 100%, they fully deserve a spot here.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 12:04
This is why a 'pending' category has been suggested... Anyway, if David thinks he can add them to HP, in my humble opinion it would be much better to have them added there now and moved later, rather than leaving them in limbo for heaven knows how long. Unfortunately, until something is changed, this is the way the site works... The word of the genre teams is supreme, and that is holding up additions big time.

I'm willing to add the band myself if there are no other takers. I'll add them to HP for the time being, then try to find a better spot for them in the near future. Is that OK with you, César?

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 13:47
YES!!!  Approve   
    I'M DYING TO REVIEW THE ALBUM HERE!!!!  Big%20smile

Thank you all for your concern.
   Someone please stop the crime  -  Ghost Rider, I second your proposal.

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 13:58
They will be added by this coming weekend. I've already bookmarked their website, so that I can get the relevant info for the addition. Incidentally, I've seen they're from Maryland (like Jody), and that in early July they'll be playing near where Micky lives (and where I hope to move as soon as possible). Perhaps he'll be able to go and check them out, though I'm afraid I'll still be stuck here at that time.

Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 15:17
as I stated nearly a month ago, they're welcome in HeavyProg

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:30
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

They will be added by this coming weekend. I've already bookmarked their website, so that I can get the relevant info for the addition. Incidentally, I've seen they're from Maryland (like Jody), and that in early July they'll be playing near where Micky lives (and where I hope to move as soon as possible). Perhaps he'll be able to go and check them out, though I'm afraid I'll still be stuck here at that time.

Off topic....but when you come to DC you,Micky and me and my wife have to get together.We only live 40 miles away.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

as I stated nearly a month ago, they're welcome in HeavyProg

Sorry David,I didn't know that.

My apologies.Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 00:35
none needed, buddy, just pointing it out

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 05:48
They've been added at lastSmile...

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 05:50
Exclamation

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 13:28
and moved to eclectic after some private conversations...

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 13:29
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Off topic....but when you come to DC you,Micky and me and my wife have to get together.We only live 40 miles away.

we will DEFINITELY take you up on that offer Jody Clap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk