Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=466
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 08:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most Overated Thread
Posted By: richardh
Subject: Most Overated Thread
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 03:55

I'll vote for the Most Overated Prog Band Thread. Can I suggest that one of the moderators 'bin it' or do we really want to discuss why Yes,ELP and Genesis are so overated while Gentle Giant should have ruled the world (apparently).

(No doubt some 'smart arse' will vote this thread as the most overated one!)

Replies:
Posted By: Stormcrow
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 06:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'll vote for the Most Overated Prog Band Thread. Can I suggest that one of the moderators 'bin it' or do we really want to discuss why Yes,ELP and Genesis are so overated while Gentle Giant should have ruled the world (apparently).

(No doubt some 'smart arse' will vote this thread as the most overated one!)

Hey, Richard!  Haven't you heard?  Yes, Rush, Genesis & ELP are just too pretentious and lacking in talent to bear to listen to!

And it can be proven!

At least that's what I read.  I'm actually still waiting to read that proof.  <SMILIE>

Posted By: benny bouncer
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 15:14

ELP?????  NO TALENT?????    YES????  NO TALENT????

thats sheer madness!!!!!!

Posted By: Glass-Prison
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 17:55
You are obviously delusional, and have no concept of talent whatsoever. anybody who has picked up an instrument worships those bands. What next? are you going to tell me that Journey is the greatest band ever? or do you prefer the unmelodic ramblings of avant-garde music?

Posted By: lukeventura
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 21:03

No way dude! Journey isn't the best band ever.

Loverboy is the best band ever.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 23:13
Originally posted by lukeventura lukeventura wrote:

No way dude! Journey isn't the best band ever.

Loverboy is the best band ever.

Ahh, whimsy, sure 'tis grand t' see ye again!

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 14:37
ELP and Yes don't lack talent, they just don't know what to do with their talent.

Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 14:44

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

ELP and Yes don't lack talent, they just don't know what to do with their talent.

Shocked Really? Well, I guess that settles it then. I'll stop liking them and throw their discs out right away.

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: StarshipTrooper
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 15:03

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

Well at least now we know why they never sold many records. Thanks for enlightening me.

-------------

Posted By: benny bouncer
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 16:51

These bands have an enormous amount of talent...ELP is by far the best band out there!!!!!    Why is everyone against these bands...the bands that sold the most records ever   Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP YES, Jethro Tull...then all of the other rubbish lives in their shadow!!!!    anyone who doesn't like these bands has no sense of good, quality music that makes the hair on the back of ya neck stand on end no matter how many times you have listened to it!!!

And sorry Rchard, i know you wanted to avoid this!!!  

Posted By: Marcelo
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 17:35

How can I define overrated? If I don't like hard rock, for me Led Zeppelin is an overrated band. The same case with folk prog and Jethro Tull, or fusion style with Brand X, etc... I have a friend who loves disco music, and for him Genesis era Gabriel or first Wakeman's albums are totally overrated music. You can find him at forensic office

Posted By: dude
Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 22:02
what an odd thread!!

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: April 05 2004 at 01:32

Richard:

What an interesting idea: an "anti"-thread.  Hmmm...  Since the "Gods" of progarchives have given me absolute power over the forums, I will, as you suggest, take into serious consideration whether particular threads have "outgrown their usefulness"...

That said, I actually like the idea of an anti-thread.  Let's see where this one leads.  After all, I might just decide that this thread is worthy of deletion...

In the meantime, my own (official?) two cents worth here.  For the "regulars" (and...uh...irregulars?), band-related threads can seem like so much opinionated "wheel-spinning."  However, they can be a good source of info (pro and con) for newbies and occasional visitors.  For that reason, it would seem worthwhile to maintain them for a period.  Also keep in mind that the entire forum idea is still basically in its infancy: it was only started a few months ago.  In this regard, one of my new "jobs" (for which they are paying me the "big bucks"...) will be to help Max et al determine how things are going, how things might be tweaked/modified, etc.

Still, keep those cards and letters coming...  And feel free to post additional anti-threads if you feel so inclined...

Peace.

Posted By: elfangio
Date Posted: April 05 2004 at 16:03
@maani: can we post an "anti-anti thread"?

-------------
Great shredding is cheddar cheese on a taco (Ron Thal).

"Mr Neal Morse from Mars, by way of Las Vegas and Nashville"

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: April 05 2004 at 16:07
I knew that one was coming!

Posted By: elfangio
Date Posted: April 05 2004 at 16:13
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I knew that one was coming!
This one was easy, but someone HAD to do it

-------------
Great shredding is cheddar cheese on a taco (Ron Thal).

"Mr Neal Morse from Mars, by way of Las Vegas and Nashville"

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 00:27

Elfangio:

By all means!  However, remember that double negatives cancel themselves out.  Thus, anything beyond "anti" is "anti"-itself...  I only fear that an "anti-anti-anti-thread" is already in the works...

Peace.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 03:24
This is just getting silly!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 06:51
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Elfangio:

By all means!  However, remember that double negatives cancel themselves out.  Thus, anything beyond "anti" is "anti"-itself...  I only fear that an "anti-anti-anti-thread" is already in the works...

Peace.

HA!  I say, HA!

Too late Manni, old thing.  I'm already developing the first strike capability of the PRO-anti-anti-anti-thread!

I shall RULE, and rule ALL!  MWA-HA-HA-HA

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 07:21
And sillier!!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 07:23

What have y'all been drinking?!

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 10:25

A pint of Prog-Grog, I'd say!!

pip, pip and all that rot.

Date Posted: April 06 2004 at 19:21

Elfangio:

Peace.

Well, in the case of a triple negative, it would happen to work out to a negative, just like any odd number of negatives. to get your mind around it, remember this: the not-unblack dog chased the not-un-fast rabbit across the not-un-green field.

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 03:34
Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Elfangio:

Peace.

Well, in the case of a triple negative, it would happen to work out to a negative, just like any odd number of negatives. to get your mind around it, remember this: the not-unblack dog chased the not-un-fast rabbit across the not-un-green field.

Calling Peter Rideout - you're the English major here - you sort it out!!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 08:40
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

[QUOTE=maani]

Elfangio:

Peace.

Calling Peter Rideout - you're the English major here - you sort it out!![/QUOTE]

Ermm Glass is correct. As with math, an odd number of negatives remains negative. An even number cancel themselves out. If you say "I didn't do nothing," then that means that you did do something.

Thus, in the convoluted example above, we have a black dog, a fast rabbit, a green field, and a terrible sentence!LOL

-------------
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:57
Don't blame me, blame john dewey.

Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 17:37

Richard:

What an interesting idea: an "anti"-thread.  Hmmm...  Since the "Gods" of progarchives have given me absolute power over the forums, I will, as you suggest, take into serious consideration whether particular threads have "outgrown their usefulness"...

That said, I actually like the idea of an anti-thread.  Let's see where this one leads.  After all, I might just decide that this thread is worthy of deletion...

In the meantime, my own (official?) two cents worth here.  For the "regulars" (and...uh...irregulars?), band-related threads can seem like so much opinionated "wheel-spinning."  However, they can be a good source of info (pro and con) for newbies and occasional visitors.  For that reason, it would seem worthwhile to maintain them for a period.  Also keep in mind that the entire forum idea is still basically in its infancy: it was only started a few months ago.  In this regard, one of my new "jobs" (for which they are paying me the "big bucks"...) will be to help Max et al determine how things are going, how things might be tweaked/modified, etc.

Still, keep those cards and letters coming...  And feel free to post additional anti-threads if you feel so inclined...

Peace.

Basically the most overated band thread annoyed me because attacking (as I see it) the major players of the genre (ELP,Yes and Genesis etc) is stupendously silly.This is a PROG Forum ffs.Where would prog rock be without these bands??Thinking about it,this forum would instantly go up in a puff of smoke.

Posted By: corbet
Date Posted: April 07 2004 at 22:44

Basically the most overated band thread annoyed me because attacking (as I see it) the major players of the genre (ELP,Yes and Genesis etc) is stupendously silly.This is a PROG Forum ffs.Where would prog rock be without these bands??Thinking about it,this forum would instantly go up in a puff of smoke.

I think you forget that there are probably a lot of people who visit this site who don't even listen to bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis...

I would halt all the complaining going on in these forums (by quite a few people) about "too many stars!!" and "too few stars!!!" and "he ripped up my favorite album!!" and so on...  to me it just comes off as so much fussing about puffed-up opinions that people cherish too dearly and want to have "standardized" in some way.  What a joke!  Really, think about it.

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 11:57
Originally posted by corbet corbet wrote:

I think you forget that there are probably a lot of people who visit this site who don't even listen to bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis...

Well if they are not, why aren't they???  <SMILIE>

I would halt all the complaining going on in these forums (by quite a few people) about "too many stars!!" and "too few stars!!!" and "he ripped up my favorite album!!" and so on...  to me it just comes off as so much fussing about puffed-up opinions that people cherish too dearly and want to have "standardized" in some way.  What a joke!  Really, think about it.

EGAD, MAN!  You're talking about eliminating half of the forum traffic!!!!

<SMILIE>

Date Posted: April 08 2004 at 16:30

I've thought about it a lot.Actually the last 25 years or so since I bought my first ELP album and then read all the tripe that was coming from many music critics about my beloved music.I've had my fill of it quite honestly and if I see fit to have a grumble I will.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk