Print Page | Close Window

The Canterbury Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46624
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 07:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Canterbury Appreciation Thread
Posted By: Padraic
Subject: The Canterbury Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:54
Seems that most other genres have their own appreciation thread, and since this is rapidly becoming my favorite genre, I wanted to create a little space on this forum for all to express their admiration for all the great bands of this genre.  There's an excellent tutorial done by Chameleon that everyone should check out:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44283 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44283

that has sort of become what I intend this thread to be, but I thought it might be more appropriate to have the "love-in" in the proper section.

I'll kick it off by saying right now I'm enjoying the hell out of Hatfield and the North, I have both their records now and they are absolutely stunning.  But please feel free to discuss any and all things Canterbury!

Replies:
Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:48
I love both the Hatfields' records (and there are more out, only not easy to find through regular channels), with a preference for their second album, the marvellous The Rotters' Club. Being a big Richard Sinclair fan, I can't help preferring them to the equally great National Health (whom I found to be more musically complex in some ways). I have a particularly soft spot for the ultra-infectious "Share It" - one of the best examples of authentic 'prog-pop'.

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:51
I think Richard Sinclair has one of the best voices in prog.  I'm listening to The Rotter's Club now - can't decide which of the two I prefer, I think they're both equally stunning.

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:55
That he does... I don't know if you've seen the Camel videos where he sings - he's absolutely amazing, with the clarity of his uniquely English enunciation, and that perfect low pitch he has. Pity he seems to be forgotten every time the 'best prog singer' is mentionedUnhappy - even in favour of such people as LaBrie.  I know you like DT, Pat, but you have to admit there is simply no comparison. And he can play a mean bass too...

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:02
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

That he does... I don't know if you've seen the Camel videos where he sings - he's absolutely amazing, with the clarity of his uniquely English enunciation, and that perfect low pitch he has. Pity he seems to be forgotten every time the 'best prog singer' is mentionedUnhappy - even in favour of such people as LaBrie.  I know you like DT, Pat, but you have to admit there is simply no comparison. And he can play a mean bass too...

Well, that sort of thing happens with a lot of the prog polls (singer, drummer, etc.) - you get the same "usual suspects" over and over again - but I've been thrilled to expand my horizons and discover all these great musicians and fantastic records.  I actually wasn't aware of his involvement with Camel, I'll have to hunt for those clips sometime.

I'm also convinced I pretty much need to grab any and all works involving Dave Stewart.  Clap

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:19
As regards Camel, Richard Sinclair plays on Rain Dances and Breathless (which I reviewed some ten days ago) and on part of A Live Record. The latter is especially recommended if you want to hear some great Sinclair vocals, though in Camel he was sadly underused. BTW; the clips can be found on Camel's page here.

As regards Dave Stewart, get Khan's only album Space Shanty (probably Canterbury's heaviest record), and those by Egg. Check their entries here for further info - I'm notoriously inaccurate.LOL

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:50
Be careful with Dave Stewart's debut work with Barbara Gaskin though, Pat.  I hope you like pop covers, like It's My Party.  Check out YouTube if you want to laugh hysterically at Dave, Barbara and Pip Pyle in the halcyon days of the 1980s.  Bad hair and fashion included!

Oh and he plays a keytar... never a good thing, in my opinion.

As for Hatfield and the North, I still somehow have yet to get the second of the extra material albums.  I have a signed copy of Hatwise Choice (well, Sinclair and Phil Miller).

I've also seen H&tN live, with Pip Pyle and got to meet Richard Sinclair.  He's an extraordinarily nice chap and is a tiny bit eccentric, but in a good way.  He reminds me a bit of a cross between Vic Reeves and Graeme Garden.

You cannot go wrong with Egg and Khan though.

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:57
My latest Canterbury dreamboat is Cos' Viva Boma. An album of a more funky, less lyrical Canterbury form - experimental and frequently goofy but anchored by care-free musicians. Maybe I'll review it later today - it needs far more than the three it has right now.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:02
I was expecting you to mention Picchio dal Pozzo. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:13
PdP remain neato, but Cos get even less attention!

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:20
Just looked at their entry in our database... They do sound interesting indeed!Thumbs%20Up I know Supersister, who are another superb band, and sound very much like the 'real thing'. I was so lucky as to find their first two albums in a 2-CD package for only €10. Great bargain, and fantastic music!

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:42
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Be careful with Dave Stewart's debut work with Barbara Gaskin though, Pat.  I hope you like pop covers, like It's My Party.  Check out YouTube if you want to laugh hysterically at Dave, Barbara and Pip Pyle in the halcyon days of the 1980s.  Bad hair and fashion included!

Funny that TLC just posted a link to that...it was 80s-tastic!  Love the keytar.  LOL
But you're right, I won't be in a hurry to grab that record...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:53
Cos is terrific.  As well as Viva Boma, I also like Postaeolian Train Robbery very much.  Canterbury Scene is definitely one of my favourite categories here.  I haven't bought any new albums in quite a long time, which is good in a way since it's given me the chance to revisit many albums.

The Canterbury Scene album I've been returning to most of late is John Greaves, Peter Blegvad, and Lisa Herman's Kew Rhône, and for when I want to rock out, Khan's Space Shanty.  Still return to various Robert Wyatt stuff (solo and Matching mole particularly), Gong, and Picchio dal Pozzo often, but not much else from the scene recently.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:00
In my searches on various websites, it seems like a new batch (or pressing, etc.) of Khan's Space Shanty is due in March - at least according to cdzone.co.uk, where I got Caravan's "If I could..." for a very reasonable price, even after getting killed on the exchange rate (weak dollar).

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:32
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Funny that TLC just posted a link to that...it was 80s-tastic!  Love the keytar.  LOL
But you're right, I won't be in a hurry to grab that record...

I meant solo, not debut, but yes, it's not my cup of cocoa.  I do believe it was Pip Pyle on drums too.

Which video did you see?  There's two you see, there's the Top of the Pops one and the actual video that came out at the time. WinkLOL

-------------

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:39

Canterbury rocks,yeah baby.Thumbs%20Up

Still got to hear a lot of it,Supersister,cos,picchio dal pozzo.

Khans Space shanty is a great album.Love the first track where that nice sounding space guitar creeps in for a few minutes.Cannot say which is the better of the two Hatfield and the north albums,like them both far tooo.....much.

Just got the Quiet sun album,Mainstream.Sorta like national health,but much heavier sounding.

Don't forget caravans first album released on verve,probably one of the most important pieces of proto-prog ever released.Grandma's lawn and Where but for caravan would I? are really great tracks that are heading towards full on canterbury style prog.1968 was indeed a good year.LOL

Great idea having a canterbury appreciation thread.ClapThankyou.Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:49
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Great idea having a canterbury appreciation thread.ClapThankyou.Thumbs%20Up

My pleasure!  Tongue

James has mentioned Quiet Sun to me, and I must look into them as well.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:02
Indeed, splendid idea for a thread. As many have already stated, one of my favourite subs, not only because of the intermingling between Henry Cow and the Canterbury scene, but because of the light heart humourous attitude they take to their music.

I'm not really sure where to start with handing out of appreciation, but Egg have always hit a soft spot with me, the title 'The Polite Force' still amuses me after several years in my possession. And Hatfield's first album took an absolute beating on my turntable after purchasing it from a second had store for a measly $4AUS.

Also I thought  I would take my hat off a little know band from Germany who I tend to catagorise under the Canterbury banner. This would be 'Tortilla Flat', who are seemingly Germans response to the English phenomenon. Unfortunately this album has never seen a reissue and is long oop, hence remaining relatively unknown.

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:27
Hey ScruffyDragon, nice to see a fellow Wiltshire resident on these forums.  That makes three us now!  Nice to see you know your Canterbury too.  Good stuff.

NS, Quiet Sun are like a symphonic jazz/fusion, it's very tasty and full of wonderful riffs.  If you like them, then you may also like the extremely rare and hard-to-find Kandahar.  Their two albums are great.  Not particularly derivative, but again, there's some wonderful foot-tapping moments of greatness.

I still have Cos and Supersister to check out.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:09
Just ordered National Health "Complete" and Khan "Space Shanty"!  Big%20smile

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 21:36
Nice.  I have both of those releases too.  Enjoy!

I do still lack some Canterbury though, including some later Caravan releases, that other Hatfield and the North release I mentioned earlier and many many many many Soft Machine live releases.

I have everything by Matching Miole and I still need some Wyatt, which I've somehow not got around to buying yet, such as Old Rottenhat and the previous effort before Comicopera, whose name escapes me for the time being.

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:21
Well, that's another thing...I need to get some Matching Mole and Wyatt solo.  Yeesh, what a drain on the wallet!  Wink

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:32
If you love Wyatt, check out News from Babel's second album Letters Home.  Wyatt guests on it as a vocalist and it's brilliant.

It strangely reminds me of an odd sounding VdGG, mostly due to Lindsay Cooper's keyboard playing, as well as the lyrical style of Cutler's lyrics.  A very interesting album indeed.

The boxset is worth buying, which includes their debut, a one of single and Letters Home.  Although it's classed as RIO/Avant-Prog, it's quite accessible, like some of Henry Cow is also accessible.  Definitely check them out!

-------------

Posted By: Leningrad
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:33

Well, that's another thing...I need to get some Matching Mole and Wyatt solo.  Yeesh, what a drain on the wallet!  Wink

But so worth it!

You really can't go wrong with Space Shanty. That was an album that, for me, went from 'pretty good' to 'mindblowing' in the span of a few listens. When I was in Maui I must have listened to it 5 times a day. Excellent, excellent, excellent record.

Quiet Sun's Mainstream is another excellent one, if slightly difficult to find. Sort of National Health-y, but without being derivative.

You guys should check out Moving Gelatine Plates as well, excellent French band (though a bit of a sad career story, lack of promotion and finances cut it short) that played Softs-ish keyboard-based Canterbury. The Story of Genius Hans is definitely worth looking for.

Hmm... what have I forgotten?

Posted By: blaughida
Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:43
I find this subgenre is more accessible because of its particular brand of quirkiness--I don't think I've ever played Caravan for someone who didn't like it.  I've also seen music critics who have nothing good to say about the big symphonic bands write about Canterbury groups, generally talking about the music as a fusion of "psychedelic" and "jazz" elements and avoiding that dirty word "prog."  Any thoughts on this?  Is Canterbury, perhaps, the most accessible subgenre, at least for a certain sort of music fan?

Date Posted: February 27 2008 at 23:48
Originally posted by blaughida blaughida wrote:

I find this subgenre is more accessible because of its particular brand of quirkiness--I don't think I've ever played Caravan for someone who didn't like it.  I've also seen music critics who have nothing good to say about the big symphonic bands write about
Canterbury groups, generally talking about the music as a fusion of "psychedelic" and
"jazz" elements and avoiding that dirty word "prog."  Any thoughts
on this?  Is Canterbury, perhaps, the most accessible subgenre, at least for a certain sort of music fan?

Well, Caravan have their own brand of quirky prog that borders pop at times, making them fairly accessible. The cheerful lyrics and happy music don't hurt either.

Delving deeper, however, it's kind of hit or miss as to whether prog newbies will like it or not, especially involving more technically complex groups like Egg. I didn't really like Matching Mole on first listen, either. I played The Rotter's Club in the car awhile back. We made it up until The Yes No Interlude before my mother turned it off, citing "nastiness" as the reason!

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 06:18
I came to find Egg when I ran out of ELP albums.A suggestion from a local record dealer,and a good one.
Those keyboards are in your face and really superb.They also came over as a bit of a shock to the system,being more experimental in places.They still amaze me now,just listen to The Song of McGillicudie.Still trying to work out whats actually going on there,I mean those vocals.Sorta gave up trying to sing along with it.Wacko

The rotters club album,Can't help wondering if that cheeky little rascal in the foreground holding his arms up on the cd booklet is one of the band members as a child?.ErmmAny ideas?

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 07:28
Canterbury is fast becoming my favorite prog sub genre, or maybe it allready is, im still pretty new and so far only know the bigger bands, i yust love the canterbury sound the bands have pure magic. Dave Stewart is simply amazing love all the stuff he did with Egg, Hatfield and the north and National health. Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 07:33
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

I came to find Egg when I ran out of ELP albums.A suggestion from a local record dealer,and a good one.
Those keyboards are in your face and really superb.They also came over as a bit of a shock to the system,being more experimental in places.They still amaze me now,just listen to The Song of McGillicudie.Still trying to work out whats actually going on there,I mean those vocals.Sorta gave up trying to sing along with it.Wacko

The rotters club album,Can't help wondering if that cheeky little rascal in the foreground holding his arms up on the cd booklet is one of the band members as a child?.ErmmAny ideas?

Well im far from 100% sure but i think its Richard Sinclair. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 15:41
Richard Sinclair,wow.He's a braver man then I am.Looking at my ole photos makes me want to  Cry.
There is so much warmth in caravans music,it just welcomes you in.Thats quite rare,sometimes its hard to put something else on.Listening earlier to Caravan and the new symphonia,was rather taken back by Memory lain,The dog the dog,and Hoedown.I believe these were left off the origonal album,but reinstated on the 2001 reissue.These were warm up numbers before the New symphonia joined in.Mindblowing stuff,as Caravan comes over as good as on their studio albums,but theres just so much life flowing through  these pieces.Big%20smile
Gonna have to check out some of their 70's live recordings.Thumbs%20Up

Oh,yeh,Like to say "Hi James",Yep i'm a Wiltshire man alright.Don't know much about Kandahar but will  look them up soon as very curious.Thanx.

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 15:46
The only tough thing about a lot of the albums I'm exploring is that it's very difficult to find them at reasonable prices.  I've been hunting around for Egg records and they're all about $25 at the low end.

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 16:31
One of the reasons I moved from vinyl to cd,also the added bonus tracks were attractive..Still miss the sound of vinyl.Unhappy
But even cd's tend sometimes to be pressed in small numbers or have limited areas of release,It make life hard sometimes when you want an album so badly and you cannot get it.Sorta hurts.Cry
Had an experiance recently when looking for the complete National Health set.Its an old set from 1990,but did not think it would be hard to get for a reasonable price.How wrong was I.Done many searches to compare prices and was stunned at what people wanted for it.£28+ for a good copy up to £150 for a mint one.ShockedLucky that a fella had one on E-bay for £17.worth every penny.Also had to import cd's in last few months,surprising that these were english bands,but albums re-released in Japan or Korea.They sell over here for a fortune,as collectors pieces.Cheaper to buy them in from Russia,and that includes postage.
Still looking for a cd re-issue of the Moving Gelatine Plates albums.Expect that they have been re-issued but where in the world?Confused

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 18:44

The only tough thing about a lot of the albums I'm exploring is that it's very difficult to find them at reasonable prices.  I've been hunting around for Egg records and they're all about $25 at the low end.

As rewarding as continuing searching could be, The Polite Force is worth every penny of that $25.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 18:47
scruffydragon, you should check out Ultima Thule if you are 'round the area any time http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/main.html - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/main.html . I know they stock that Moving Gelatine Plates disc you are looking for. Funnily enough I have never really had too much trouble finding Canterbury over here in Aus, last weekend I was down in Melbourne and nearly picked up that same disc.  

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 18:49
Also, I recommend everyone check out Arzachel and their 1969 one-off. It contained Steve Hillage, Dave Stewart, Mont Cambell and Clive Brooks, all of whom would later continue on as Canterbury artists (Steve Hillage as...well... you know... and the rest would go on to form Egg, as well as Dave Stewart's numerous other projects). It's mostly straight-up psychedelia, but it's one of my favorites of the genre and it's interesting to see where these superstars had their beginning.

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 20:13
ScruffyDragon, I buy mostly online nowadays.  I was lucky enough to find a copy of Caravan's ItLoGaP and that BBC 2-CD album in H.M.V. Swindon.

The National Health boxset I purchased either from Greg Walker or Wayside Music, I believe.  It's indeed excellent and the liner notes are very amusing too, I love the English humour relating to touring around Europe.

It's going to be impossible to find Kandahar.  Their debut I believe was cassette only and their second release I believe was a vinyl release.  Neither album has been re-released on CD.  They are crying out for a re-mastering and re-release!

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 21:29
This is interesting, anyone ever hear of this project called Soft Heap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_Heap_%28band%29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_Heap_(band)

Posted By: Drakk
Date Posted: February 28 2008 at 23:34
I'm pretty much in love with Caravan.

But where do I go from there?

-------------
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 00:25
Originally posted by Drakk Drakk wrote:

I'm pretty much in love with Caravan.

But where do I go from there?

Check out two things:  the Canterbury genre page on ProgArchives, and Chameleon's Canterbury blog, the link to which is in my introductory post in this thread.

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 05:21
Hi all,this is getting to be a busy little thread.Thumbs%20Up

Thankyou for tip about Ultima Thule,WOW.There's a lot of good music on there,so its gonna be the case of buy food then eject the moths from my wallet.Big%20smile

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 05:28
Thank heavens for this thread!Clap I think the whole Canterbury movement should receive much more credit than it generally does. As things are, it is very much of a 'cult' phenomenon, which is a great pity. True, the albums are not always easy to find, but in my opinion they deserve every effort we make in order to trace them. As I see it, Canterbury offers all the musical complexity and proficiency of other prog subgenres, coupled with a rare quality - namely, humour, which is all too often lacking in prog (especially, I must say, in Prog-Metal).

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 09:41

I guess you haven't heard Arjen Lucassen's cover of Donovan's The Intergalactic Laxative Wink

I generally skirt around the fringes of Canterbury, having discovered Soft Machine and Matching Mole through Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, I moved onto Kevin Ayers, Gong and Steve Hillage.

I never knew Quiet Sun as "Canterbury" until I came to the PA: in 1975 I bought Mainstream at the same time as Diamond Head because they were Phil Manzanera albums and not by any Canterburyesque connection through Bil MacCormick/Matching Mole. Still, it's a great album and also worth checking out the live version of 'Rongwrong' on 801 Live. One jaw dropping comment from Wikipedia - Mainstream is apparently Island Records 4th or 5th biggest selling album of all time (*Dean casts an eye over his Roxy Music, Cat Stevens, U2, Bad Company, King Crimson, Bob Marley, John Cale, Nick Drake, and Traffic albums and reaches for a hefty pinch of salt*) .

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:25

This is interesting, anyone ever hear of this project called Soft Heap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_Heap_%28band%29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_Heap_(band)

I have one of their albums and it's brilliant.  I plan to get the one and only Soft Head album too.  The second Soft Heap album has alluded me so far though.

Think of Soft Machine's sax and bass lines, with National Health's added rhythms, it's excellent.

If you love Hatfileld and the North, which I know you do, also check out Phil Miller's In Cahoots.  I have one of their albums and it's great as well.

I also plan to get Pip Pyle's Bash plus some L'Equipe Out at some point too.

-------------

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:38
James, when my wife yells at me for the credit card bill, can I blame you?  Wink

Thanks for Phil Miller rec....I've also heard good things about Equipe Out, have to look into that as well.

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 13:09
Well those albums are often noted just as In Cahoots as well.

As a matter of interest, Wayside Music have a Phil Miller In Cahoots album available at the moment.  I plan to get it eventually.

Oh and don't forget Hugh Hopper's various projects and solo efforts either.

-------------

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 13:16
Well, Micky will be lucky, because his wife will never yell at him because of his CD purchases... She'll be too busy to buy some of her own!LOL

I've definitely got to get hold of some of the stuff you mentioned here. I've recently heard there is a new music store in Rome, where they have a large stock of prog (among other things).. I'll try it first before I resort to ordering anything online.

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 14:09
Ratledge's playing on "Out-bloody-rageous" is so freakin' brilliant - I must have listened to that track three times yesterday.

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 14:15

Ratledge's playing on "Out-bloody-rageous" is so freakin' brilliant - I must have listened to that track three times yesterday.

We do have some connection, Pat, because that is my favourite track from Third... I do agree with you about Ratledge's playing - in my review of the album I think I called him an unsung keyboard hero!LOL

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 14:56
Sorting out a few albums today and come across something that will interest the Gong,Hillage people here.I expect you may already know about it.The album is by clearlight (Cyrille Verdeaux),called Symphony.It has Steve Hillage,Didier Malherbe,and Tim Blake playing on it.Not canterbury style but it will make an interesting item for any Gong,Hillage fan.Wink

Date Posted: February 29 2008 at 15:22
Saw the entry for that album here in the archives - looks like it got great reviews.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 01:21
Another great one by them is Forever Blowing Bubbles (it's the one in oliverstoned's avatar). A great album, not really Canterbury, but definitely worth checking out.

Date Posted: March 01 2008 at 01:40
Yesterday I got Caravan and the New Symphonia... Listening to it now. The version of "For Richard" is very good, though of course R. Sinclair can't help being sorely missed.

Posted By: HailVibrania
Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 07:31
Only recently picked on Hatfield's "The Rotters Club" and "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" by Caravan but both great albums and I dont know why I missed out on them when they were originally released.

I have some birthday money to spend so any recommendations of others along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

Re the road sign for The North/Hatfield I do remember seeing a sign that actually said "Hatfield And The North" many years ago when heading back to the Midlands from Brighton,no idea where it was though

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 08:47
** messed up post, ignore **

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 08:48

The sign in my sig used to say "Hatfield and the North" at one point, then it was changed, I don't know why.  A forum member here used to live in Potter's Bar and remembers the original sign.

Do get Hatfield's s/t debut, in my opinion it's just as good as The Rotter's Club.

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 09:17

The sign in my sig used to say "Hatfield and the North" at one point, then it was changed, I don't know why.  A forum member here used to live in Potter's Bar and remembers the original sign.

Do get Hatfield's s/t debut, in my opinion it's just as good as The Rotter's Club.
I think it was changed when the A1(M) section was opened, (1973?), I believe the original sign was an all green background (trunk-road) not blue (motorway).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 15:36

Have to agree,Hatfield and the Norths debut album is a must if you like the rotters club.There's a few very nice touches to it which makes it a very interesting album too.Thumbs%20Up

Caravan's albums all have their own unique feel about them,Could suggest one that really stands out that was released before Land of Grey and pink.Try "If I Could Do It All Over Again".It has much more going on in it,with great vocals to match.If you like that one then move on to "For Girls Who Grow Plump".

Somewhere I have seen a picture of that old sign,just cannot remember if it was in one of the old music mags,on internet,a book,record cover.Don't know its bugging me.AGHHHHHH!.Confused

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 15:45
If I Could Do.... is my favourite Caravan album, even more so than ITLOGAP. I also love For Girls.. though I think Richard Sinclair's vocals are sorely missed. I apologise beforehand for the shameless self-plugging, but I have reviewed a good deal of Caravan's albums, and perhaps you might be interested in checking those reviews out.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 17:03

If you love Wyatt, check out News from Babel's second album Letters Home.  Wyatt guests on it as a vocalist and it's brilliant.

As great as the best albumsreleased by anyone involved, and that says a lot!

I agree with everyone suggesting Supersister. And I agree with Cos even more. After that check out some great French Canterbury" by Moving Gelatine Plates (two first) and Travelling.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 19:08
If you guys are looking for some more modern (well, late 90's) Canterbury, I recommend checking out the American group Volaré. Their first, The Uncertainty Principle, is my personal favorite of their two. If you've ever heard The Muffins, it'd be a great idea to look into these guys.

Date Posted: March 02 2008 at 20:50
Ratledge's playing style certainly is unique, that's for sure.  I know everyone loves the first two Softs albums, but for me, when Elton Dean arrived, Ratledge just improved in leaps and bounds.  He used to play off-of Dean's sax lines amazingly well.  Infact, his playing often reminded me of a saxophone.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:39
Agreed - his greatness to me is that he brings such a variety of sounds and textures to the music - it's like having several musicians wrapped up in one.

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:55
If you like post-Third era Soft Machine, then try the following too:

Elton Dean & The Wrong Object - The Unbelievable Truth (an absolute stunning live gig, unrehearsed and the first and last time they played together)
Hughscore - Delta Flora (for a wonderful modern rendition of Facelift) and Highspot Paradox (which features a version of Hugh Hopper's Miniluv).  Both albums feature Hugh Hopper on fuss and not-fuzz bass too.  Brilliant records!

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:22

Ratledge's playing style certainly is unique, that's for sure.  I know everyone loves the first two Softs albums, but for me, when Elton Dean arrived, Ratledge just improved in leaps and bounds.  He used to play off-of Dean's sax lines amazingly well.  Infact, his playing often reminded me of a saxophone.

I was stunned to hear how advanced Ratledge sounded on the 1967 Soft Machine recording Middle Earth Tapes (released by Cuneiform two years ago) - certainly miles ahead of Keith Emerson. Also impressed by Ratledge when he gets round to kicking in and kicking arse on the Soft Machine Live At Paradiso album (recorded two weeks after Volume 2 was recorded, sans Elton Dean)

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:28

Potentiallly there is a lot mileage (that is wrt band names!!) to get out of M1 motorway signs. Here In the Midlands, for instance:

Leeds & The North or Leicester & The South

and then the M4: Reading And The West - (Maidenhead and The West.......)

-------------
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:29
I've got Middle Earth Masters on CD and still haven't played it and I plan to get that Paradiso release in the future.  I cannot wait (well, I have so far) to hear what he sounds like at that time in a live context.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:31
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Potentiallly there is a lot mileage (that is wrt band names!!) to get out of M1 motorway signs. Here In the Midlands, for instance:

Leeds & The North or Leicester & The South

and then the M4: Reading And The West - (Maidenhead and The West.......)

My brother has always wanted to call a band "Wt'n Only", after the painted on message at the Wootton Bassett roundabout.  W'tn in this case is Wroughton, not Wootton Bassett.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 17:36
Just ordered Egg "The Polite Force" for a great price!  It's an outfit in Greece called  http://lpcdreissues.com - http://lpcdreissues.com .

Date Posted: March 03 2008 at 17:57
Geck0, I listened to Manna / Mirage again and it's max neato. I wish I'd been paying attention the last x-zillion times I tried. I still prefer those Italians, though - just showing that I don't ignore all your advice. =P

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2008 at 10:11
Try The Muffins' second release if you can find it.  It's completely different and avant-garde in comparison.

I'm glad you've seen the light!

-------------

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 06:51

I've got Middle Earth Masters on CD and still haven't played it and I plan to get that Paradiso release in the future.  I cannot wait (well, I have so far) to hear what he sounds like at that time in a live context.

be warned the sound quality on Middle Earth Masters  is poor, but on long tracks the recording mix  favours Ratledge keys - and when you hear Ratledge storming away on these tracks you will realise the album is an important history document wrt to the progression of rock music in the late 60's. In comparison Paradiso suggests it was deliberately recorded professionally with the intention of a proper release back in in 1970, but with Machine in hiatus between Volume 2 and Third, this recording seems to have become  forgotten and only available as a bootleg for a couple of decades.

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 07:55
Speaking of early Soft Machine, what is the quality like in regards to the two remasters of Volume 1 and Volume 2, respectively?  I am very tempted in getting them to replace my 2-in-1 version of those two wonderful debut albums.

-------------

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:37

Live at the Paradiso is an excellent album but may be a shock if you're used to the tracks in their Volume Two versions. Vindaloo for the ears!

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 13:33

Speaking of early Soft Machine, what is the quality like in regards to the two remasters of Volume 1 and Volume 2, respectively?  I am very tempted in getting them to replace my 2-in-1 version of those two wonderful debut albums.

Checking round the web:
a) can't confirm these are remasters
b) if they are remasters, no review states so, let alone mentions audio quality
c) the release date seems up to 2 months away?
d) Amazon.UK lists price seems to be the same number in sterling as CD Universe lists in US Dollars.
e) hey, yet somebody else providing the liner notes - who he???
Personally I found the (assumed) remastering of Soft Machine and Volume 2 tracks featured on the Out-Bloody-Rageous compilation much superior to that audio quality heard on the twoforone CD - but Soft Machine was literally recorded overnight during one of the Hendrix package tours of the USA and you can almost bet as cheaply as possible. I'll contact the Hopper brothers for more detail.

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

Live at the Paradiso is an excellent album but may be a shock if you're used to the tracks in their Volume Two versions. Vindaloo for the ears!

Volume Two is to jazz rock fusion as Paradiso is to progressive rock. The change of track running order and the loss of Brian Hopper's sax (cf. the studio recording of these tunes) seem to me to contribute to more of a rock feel for the Paradiso recording  - although Machine are in much freer playing mode. Personally I think you hear both Robert Wyatt the drummer and the vocalist at his best. Hugh Hopper is excellent as ever with his understated approach. Ratledge astounds occasionally - Hibou Anemone & Bear is particularly good to my ears.

-------------
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 13:42
Interesting as I was looking to get that 2 in 1 version of the first two Soft Machine records...if audio quality is indeed an issue, I'll hold off - I've got that compilation and the songs off the first disc do sound pretty good.

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:20
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Checking round the web:
a) can't confirm these are remasters
b) if they are remasters, no review states so, let alone mentions audio quality
c) the release date seems up to 2 months away?
d) Amazon.UK lists price seems to be the same number in sterling as CD Universe lists in US Dollars.
e) hey, yet somebody else providing the liner notes - who he???
Personally I found the (assumed) remastering of Soft Machine and Volume 2 tracks featured on the Out-Bloody-Rageous compilation much superior to that audio quality heard on the twoforone CD - but Soft Machine was literally recorded overnight during one of the Hendrix package tours of the USA and you can almost bet as cheaply as possible. I'll contact the Hopper brothers for more detail.

They were released in 2007, Dick and I did read that they are remastered with new liner notes.  Let me check my sources.

Amazon says they were released on 17 April 2007.  According to the RateYourMusic entries, Volume Two on the American Water label is a  remaster, but this doesn't necessarily mean it is.

I really need to know the state of these two albums, before I decide whether to purchase them.  I'd love to hear Brian Hopper's comment, Dick.

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 19:28
I've been having a sort of  Canterbury Renaissance in the past week and ordered some known albums to replace my MP3 copies of them.

Soft Machine - Third
Gong - You
Hatfield and the North - The Rotter's Club  (this'll be my first time listening to it, but I own their debut.)

I'm thinking on purchasing Soft Machine's ../album.asp?id=12271 - Grides .  Any thoughts on the album aside from the great reviews praising it? I'll also get the 2 first Supersister albums as well and I've only heard their debut. Should be fun. Smile

Aside from all of that, are there any albums that you guys would like to recommend me? I'm looking for a groovier Canterbury sound. Try to avoid recommending me things like Soft Machine's Bundles or Matching Mole's Red Album, please.

-------------

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 19:39
For those interested:
Eclectic have announced that they'll be re-issuing on cd the 4 first Supersister albums (was announced in PE).

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: March 05 2008 at 22:12
Have you tried Gilgamesh yet, Ruben?

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2008 at 15:51
WHOOPEE....Big%20smile
Two Moving Gelatine Plates albums dropped through the door this morning.Wow,there's some odd things going on in them.
Both of the cd's have bonus tracks from the album "Moving" on them.These tracks have a much more folky sound,and they are rather pleasant to the ears.Great stuff indeed.Thumbs%20Up
London Cab started off a giggling fit,Hearing three blind mice was expected,but its the way they done it that's so funny.Both of these albums were well worth tracking down,excellent.HeartLOL

Date Posted: March 06 2008 at 21:20
The National Health "Complete" 2 disc set arrived today - what a nice thing to come home to after a hard day's work!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 06 2008 at 21:22
 ^ that was my intro to them..  wonderful set, and a great booklet

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 02:57

I remember seeing one of the Gilgamesh albums at the BTF store in Milan sometime last year... I don't remember for what reason on earth I didn't buy it, but I didn't, and now I regret having done so. Hopefully I'll get hold of it somewhere else.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 04:21

I remember seeing one of the Gilgamesh albums at the BTF store in Milan sometime last year... I don't remember for what reason on earth I didn't buy it, but I didn't, and now I regret having done so. Hopefully I'll get hold of it somewhere else.

Gilgamesh resemble Hatfield and the North, with whom they played some double gigs with 8 musicians on stage. they are slightly jazzier than the Hatfields though, and they are purely instrumental. there is a lot of humor in Gilgamesh too, but it is musical only, without the silly lyrics. Alan Gowen is one of my favorite keyboarders. sadly he died of a brain tumor. National Health recorded the album "D. S. al Coda" in honor of him; all the compositions on that album are by Gowen

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 04:53
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

For those interested:
Eclectic have announced that they'll be re-issuing on cd the 4 first Supersister albums (was announced in PE).

I'm certainly interested. Hopefully they'll be packed with great bonus stuff.  I know they recorded many brilliant  tracks that never made it to any of the original albums.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 07:28
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Gilgamesh resemble Hatfield and the North, with whom they played some double gigs with 8 musicians on stage. they are slightly jazzier than the Hatfields though, and they are purely instrumental. there is a lot of humor in Gilgamesh too, but it is musical only, without the silly lyrics. Alan Gowen is one of my favorite keyboarders. sadly he died of a brain tumor. National Health recorded the album "D. S. al Coda" in honor of him; all the compositions on that album are by Gowen

Also check out Soft Heap and Soft Head as well, for more Alan Gowen penned tunes.  I've yet to hear Soft Head (I know where I can find a copy, but it's $20!) but I have heard Soft Heap's first album and it's excellent, especially Gowan's keyboard work.

The band is:

Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean, Alan Gowan, Pip Pyle.

Note the first letter of the band members' forenames spell HEAP. Wink

Soft Head are the same lineup, but with Dave somebody on drums, rather than the mightly Pip, who I believe may have been touring wih Hatfield and the North at the time (not National Healh, 'cause Gowan would have been with him).

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 07:30

I've only heard one of their albums That's Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into, but I really need the debut too, I especially love the Snakes and Arrows cover artwork as well. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 17:26
Having a bit of trouble with one of my usual online cd shops at the moment.Have Gilgamesh's first album on order with them.Started off as in stock,then went 2-7 days,now out of stock and on speciel order.Getting a bit worried that they will not be able to get it.Knowing my luck if I cancel it and try elsewhere it will come in.
Hate it when that happens.Cry
National Healths D S L Coda is a really good album.Alan Gowen wrote some really good music.Would love to find out how the tracks Arriving Twice and TNTFX fits into the Gilgamesh albums.
Oh well,the wait wont kill me,but the suspence is unbearable,AGhhhhhhhh......Wacko

Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 02:57
That's quite funny... I am listening to an album that has a strong Canterbury connection, and as I clicked on this thread it suddenly dawned on me. The album in question is Colosseum II's Strange New Flesh, where Neil Murray (of Gilgamesh and National Health fame) plays the bass.

I know I will sound like a total n00b now, but I'd like to ask you about the online CD shops you generally use, and which are the ones that offer the best value for money and the best service.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 03:09
well Raff I'm sure there are better, but you might try
http://www.shroomangel.com/shroom/rs.asp - http://www.shroomangel.com/shroom/rs.asp

Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 09:14
I only tend to use three:

Wayside Music
Greg Walker
Amazon UK (or occasionally US) as well as Amazon vendors

I've also used eBay a few times and that's where I got some of my Elton Dean CDs.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 16:02
Tend to obtain a few albums through HMV,but still compare prices with other online stores.
E-Bay shops sometimes offer albums at a reasonable price,and do occationally buy from there.
Apart from that its shopping around.Smile

Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 16:59
Well you're in only Trowbridge, so if you need anything rare or bizarre, I maybe able to assist you in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 06:55

Hi James may take you up on the offer one day,but will have to have a few little words with the bank manager first like,"THIS IS A STICK UP.....YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE",ha ha ha.WinkLOL

Amazes me how many Canterbury style musicians appear with other bands,like playing Canis Lupis by Darryl Ways Wolf the other day noticed John Etheridge and Dek Messecar in the credits.Been wondering if its possible to draw up a Canterbury family tree of who's who,and which bands they played with.Could throw up a few interesting connections and collaborations.Wonder if its been done before?Ermm

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 07:03
^ http://www.macgraphic.co.jp/ich/ - http://www.macgraphic.co.jp/ich/
(click on each band name to see a textual genealogy of each band member)

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 07:15
WOW...Thats amazing.Thankyou.
That canterbury family tree is ideal,just look at all those connections.
Thankyou.Thumbs%20Up

Thats worth a few of these,ClapClapClap.

Big%20smile

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 07:36
Hey guys! You should know how the other Caravan albums and the other bands are in comparison with In The Land of Grey and Pink. My thoughts on the album:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=163103

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 08:40
Scruffy Dragon, don't forget http://bandtoband.com/ - http://bandtoband.com/ as well, they cover Canterbury and other bands too, this tree will highlight even more than you could ever expect!

Dek Messecar is also on Darryl Way's Wolf's Night Music album as well.

Here's a John Etheridge link: http://bandtoband.com/index.php?Page=Search&BandId=11996 - http://bandtoband.com/index.php?Page=Search&BandId=11996

-------------

Posted By: wolfvaga
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 09:19
Very nice and wide topic Smile...

I don't know which band is the best in general, but my appreciation goes to Caravan... And not only to first few albums, which are the most granted... The reason? Solos...

-------------
Lupus in fabula :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk