Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes – rick out, oliver in?
Posted By: iguana
Subject: Yes – rick out, oliver in?
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 03:13
it seems to be (almost) official that rick wakeman,
on grounds of retirement from extensive touring
has indeed been replaced by his eldest son oliver,
as reported on the “YES where are they now“ site.

any thoughts?

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Replies:
Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 06:39
since I have never heard his son play I don't have any. if his father taught him he had a good teacher though

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 09:18
i've just been to his website – no official word yet of course but he's all vintage young rick
on the photos! guess we'll have to cut the gossip for the moment and just wait and see.
seeing yes on an 40th anniversary tour isn't that high on my priority list.

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

since I have never heard his son play I don't have any. if his father taught him he had a good teacher though

Exactly

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: RaphaelT
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 10:28
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Exactly

I've seen him live last October with his band and he was awesome!! Looked like younger version of his father. Shame I did not take his autograph then (I got John Jowitt and Scott Higham though).

He also did two great albums with Clive Nolan, and he composed and played there very well, so I think that he is fit for the position.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 10:44
He is an excellent player but, I have NO desire to see YES; I want to hold on to my memories of YES
when I saw them in the 70's.

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 11:13
¿Isn't there also an Adam Wakeman who toured with Rick Wakeman in the 90's?

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: sean
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 11:19
is Oliver the son that did a solo on "The Human Equation"? I know one of them did and it was quite good. Luckily for me I saw Yes in 2004 and I can't afford to see them again so I'm glad I have that memory. 

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 11:38
Oliver knows his arse from his elbows when it comes to playing keyboards but I wonder if he will have the on-stage charisma of his father in the eyes of the wider world of Yes fans? Certainly bearing the familiy name lends him a certain amount of gravitas. I for one would love to see him up there with the band. Rick has said in the past that he'd like to see the band name of Yes passed down through the generations with new musicians replacing the old personnel entirely. A bit like E.R. Big%20smile

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Gentlegiantprog
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 12:05
One of his sons is in the cuban DVD ... he is quite the musician

-------------
Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 14:38

Both are highly talented but I would be surprised if Rick stopped touring.Perhaps if poor health was given then I could understand.I attended Rick's Christmas party in November 1992 high up in the hills near Buxton in Derbyshire and Adam played with his dad and Adam's then girlfriend did the vocals on 'Starship Trooper'  but to those who haven't seen Yes since the 70's get a life if they tour again.Their shows throughout the early part of this decade were fantastic.Their last being the 35 the anniversary when they were outstandind in Glasgow and did possibly the best version of 'And you and i ' i have seen them on every tour they have done on these shores since 1972.

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 14:39

Both are highly talented but I would be surprised if Rick stopped touring.Perhaps if poor health was given then I could understand.I attended Rick's Christmas party in November 1992 high up in the hills near Buxton in Derbyshire and Adam played with his dad and Adam's then girlfriend did the vocals on 'Starship Trooper'  but to those who haven't seen Yes since the 70's get a life if they tour again.Their shows throughout the early part of this decade were fantastic.Their last being the 35 th anniversary when they were outstandind in Glasgow and did possibly the best version of 'And you and i ' i have seen them on every tour they have done on these shores since 1972.

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 14:40

So good I posted twice.

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 14:58
Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

it seems to be (almost) official that rick wakeman,
on grounds of retirement from extensive touring
has indeed been replaced by his eldest son oliver,
as reported on the “YES where are they now“ site.

any thoughts?

St.Pauli are you a St.Pauli football fan?

Date Posted: March 07 2008 at 16:38

Oliver also has charisma on stage - at the gig that I saw (31st October 2007, the world premiere of Caamora's she) he competed with the singer of his band on who will be the 'real frontman'.

Since I saw Yes once and it was OYE Tour I will be glad to see them with Oliver, although I'd rather see them with Rick

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 01:17
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Oliver knows his arse from his elbows when it comes to playing keyboards but I wonder if he will have the on-stage charisma of his father in the eyes of the wider world of Yes fans? Certainly bearing the familiy name lends him a certain amount of gravitas. I for one would love to see him up there with the band. Rick has said in the past that he'd like to see the band name of Yes passed down through the generations with new musicians replacing the old personnel entirely. A bit like E.R.

Please God, no!

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 04:16
Oliver, huh?   A disappointment, but not a major one.  I was hoping for Brislin if Rick wouldn't participate.  (Well, really I'd like to see Igor again, but I know Yes has closed that door for good.)

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 04:54
I read, a few years ago, about an anticipated project between Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson. What happened to that?

Posted By: Evandro Martini
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 06:44
Now it's officially in www.yesworld.com
Yes Tour Planned for 2008
March 7, 2008 It's official—Yes is back! Jon, Steve, Chris, and Alan are planning a world tour, with http://www.oliverwakeman.co.uk/ - Oliver Wakeman sitting in on keyboards. Tour dates to be announced here soon!

Rick and Keith have wanted to play together for a long time, but there has always been something (tours of one or both, record label prohibitions, etc) that kept them from that.

-------------
"You’ll never make any money playing music that people can’t sing.” Keith Emerson's father

Posted By: Badabec
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 07:50
Yeah, that's cool, really. ClapThumbs%20Up

I am very curious how he will play the keys and how Yes will change with him by their side. Smile

-------------
Mesmo a tristeza da gente era mais bela
E além disso se via da janela
Um cantinho de céu e o Redentor

- Antônio Carlos Jobim, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes - Carta ao Tom 74

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 08:20
 I  heard rumours about new album with Rick and tour with Oliver, this was about 1 month ago.
So the tour seems to be official.

Date Posted: March 08 2008 at 12:45

Oliver knows his arse from his elbows when it comes to playing keyboards but I wonder if he will have the on-stage charisma of his father in the eyes of the wider world of Yes fans? Certainly bearing the familiy name lends him a certain amount of gravitas. I for one would love to see him up there with the band. Rick has said in the past that he'd like to see the band name of Yes passed down through the generations with new musicians replacing the old personnel entirely. A bit like E.R. Big%20smile

Well, in that case, the "Yes - next generation" should produce some new material at last, instead they would turn into their own tribute band.

Steve's children could replace Steve and Alan (I've read that Dylan Howe is a good drummer, taught by Bill Bruford) but who could replace Jon?? Perhaps Damion Anderson, he has already had a vocal performance at the album of Yes LOL

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 09:28
its on the yes website. oliver is going on tour with them.

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:17
Good news - there is Yes tour - at last!

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:40
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Well, in that case, the "Yes - next generation" should produce some new material at last, instead they would turn into their own tribute band.

Steve's children could replace Steve and Alan (I've read that Dylan Howe is a good drummer, taught by Bill Bruford) but who could replace Jon?? Perhaps Damion Anderson, he has already had a vocal performance at the album of Yes LOL

Jon's daughter actually released an album a couple of years ago, so she could be his replacement.  I forget her name but I'll see if I can track it down on the net and post a link.

Deborah Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Anderson   She has recorded some songs

Jade Anderson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Anderson   She released a debut album in 2002 and has appeared on some of her dad's albums.

-------------

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 14:17
I have high expectations, baring in mind that he is Wakeman flesh and blood is very promising, but also having his old man teach him as well, I think that Oliver will be an excellent keyboard addition to the Yes lineup. I will miss old Lord Rick though.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: WideAngleWatcher
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 14:33

This is the lamest thing ever.

Posted By: Anaon
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 15:45
Hum! I wanted to see Yes at least one time with one of the original line-up, so it's a bad thing for me... But Yes is not dead is it? :)

-------------
My music: http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/
My blog: http://groovesandmemories.com/" rel="nofollow - http://groovesandmemories.com/

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Hum! I wanted to see Yes at least one time with one of the original line-up, so it's a bad thing for me... But Yes is not dead is it? :)

Who knows? They were claimed so many times that I think they are immortal!

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

[QUOTE=RaphaelT][QUOTE=sigod]

Jon's daughter actually released an album a couple of years ago, so she could be his replacement.  I forget her name but I'll see if I can track it down on the net and post a link.

Deborah Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Anderson   She has recorded some songs

Jade Anderson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Anderson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Anderson   She released a debut album in 2002 and has appeared on some of her dad's albums.

A woman in Yes lineup? She would scare the boys to dead. However, if Yes lineup is ever to be refreshed due to Jon's inability to perform (fat chance of it) female voice could be very refreshing for band's style.

Anyway Yes are going to beat Led Zeppelin since they were playing with only one of original member's children, and Yes have already played with Oliver's brother, Adam. This only proves that Yes are far better band than ZepsWink.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: An old fart
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 17:58
Just bearing two things in mind. 1. Being aware that Oliver is Rick's son and 2. knowing that Yes wouldn't hire any Mike Mediocre or a Larry Lousy on any instrument on a world tour, I think it's safe to assume that the black and white keys will be on capable hands on the forthcoming Yes tour as well. I would have preferred Rick there, though, but what the hell, Yes is back! Let's rejoice!

-------------
"Make tea, not love"

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: March 09 2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Apparently not.  Notice that the announcement says that Oliver will be "sitting in," not joining.  I think they want to leave the door open for Rick to participate if they go into the studio again.

For those of you who do not know, Rabin was also invited to tour, but he declined.

Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 02:21
[/QUOTE]St.Pauli are you a St.Pauli football fan?[/QUOTE]

och aye!

-------------

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 10:08

I'd wander along to 'A night of Yes music played by the youngsters' if the chance presented itself. Big%20smile

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Codis
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

(Well, really I'd like to see Igor again, but I know Yes has closed that door for good.)

What's the deal with that?  I thought Igor played very well on the album and live.  I also thought he and Jon were going to do a project.

I will definitely go to the concert.  Haven't missed on since 90125, no matter the band's members!

-------------
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     

Posted By: MuzikLuva
Date Posted: March 10 2008 at 14:42
If I remember correctly, Rick mentioned months ago on his web site that he and the rest of the band were having discussions with the new represenatives for the band, and that everyone had a voice and was being heard.  This was back in November of 2007.  He has repeatedly stated that he no longer wants to tour.  Oliver appeared on Starcastle's last album and did a really nice job.  Both he and Adam have done a lot of work with their dad and you can best believe that the rest of the group would not have invited him to join if he wasn't up to their standards.

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 09:38

"Back with a Bang" for 40th anniversary should mean more than just some nostalgic shows.

Magnification proves that they still might write some really good compositions.

Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 12:21
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

"Back with a Bang" for 40th anniversary should mean more than just some nostalgic shows.

Magnification proves that they still might write some really good compositions.

It is their greatness that made us so annoyed of their silence.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: SilverEclipse
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 13:50

They asked Rabin to tour with them?!  Thank God he turned it down... I dread the thought of "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" being played at my first Yes concert. 

As far as Rick Wakeman not playing, I'm kinda dissapointed because he's become one of if not my favorite members of the group, but if anyone is going to replace him it might as well be his son.  Fair enough. 

-------------
"and if the band your in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 13:56
Wonder if Oliver has a similar aversion to Relayer...

Posted By: Nucleus
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 15:31
Originally posted by SilverEclipse SilverEclipse wrote:

They asked Rabin to tour with them?!  Thank God he turned it down... I dread the thought of "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" being played at my first Yes concert. 

I felt exactly the same way. I respect Rabin's contributions, but I want my first live Yes experience to be pure, unadulterated YES. That means The Yes Album up through Going for the One. And maybe some Magnification in there.

I think that Oliver is a great choice and I'll be happy to see him. Sure I'd prefer Rick, but Oliver is the next best thing.

And I'd really look forward to them recording new material, considering the songwriting sucesses they've had with In the Presence Of, Footprints, and Homeworld in recent years.

Bring on the fourth decade of Yes!

Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 18:08
Originally posted by Nucleus Nucleus wrote:

Originally posted by SilverEclipse SilverEclipse wrote:

I felt exactly the same way. I respect Rabin's contributions, but I want my first live Yes experience to be pure, unadulterated YES. That means The Yes Album up through Going for the One. And maybe some Magnification in there.

I think that Oliver is a great choice and I'll be happy to see him. Sure I'd prefer Rick, but Oliver is the next best thing.

And I'd really look forward to them recording new material, considering the songwriting sucesses they've had with In the Presence Of, Footprints, and Homeworld in recent years.

Bring on the fourth decade of Yes!

Do not worry, they will definitely be playing Owner at a concert (at my first and only Yes concert Owner was played by Billy Sherwood and Igor Khoroshev, eurgh)

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 18:15
I think that the only time, since it was written (to prevent smart ass remarks regarding pre-90125) that they didn't play Owner of a Lonely Heart was during their Masterworks tour where they only played their epics.  I forget now what they actually played but I don't think that they played anything under 10 minutes.

With a little help from the Internet, I tracked down the setlist from the July 11, 2000 concert at Pine Knob in Clarkston, Michigan. 

Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra
Close To The Edge
Starship Trooper
Gates Of Delirium
Leaves Of Green
In The Midnight Hour
Heart Of The Sunrise
Ritual
I've Seen All Good People
Roundabout
The opening act was a little band from the U.S. called Kansas.  Anyone heard of them?

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2008 at 21:31
Hey, here's an idea: the Yes guys should swallow their pride and ask Moraz back in, despite his *gasp* dreaded jazz influence.

Date Posted: March 12 2008 at 11:52
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Hey, here's an idea: the Yes guys should swallow their pride and ask Moraz back in, despite his *gasp* dreaded jazz influence.

They have not tried it yet, so in near future it is almost sure they will ask Moraz to tour with them.

Every idea is good to make a tour without recording new material!

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Runner
Date Posted: March 18 2008 at 18:09
Well, it was posted on the YES official site ( http://www.yesworld.com - www.yesworld.com ) the following message:

Yes Tour Planned for 2008

March 7, 2008 It's official—Yes is back! Jon, Steve, Chris, and Alan are planning a world tour, with Olivier Wakeman sitting in on keyboards. Tour dates to be announced here soon!

ClapClapClapClapClap

Posted By: tony kayes headband
Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 02:24
I DON'T want Rick to tour with them again.I love him as much as next as the next Yes fan,but I think his touring days may be over,due to his health.
In the last issue of Yes Magazine,there is an interview with Rick around the time of the release of Return To The Center Of The Earth.
Rick talks about his health problems and mention that he sees a tour with Keith Emerson as his swan song.
Of course,that never happened and he did tour with Yes again.
If it wasn't for the fact that I have never seen them live,I think I'd rather have a new Yes album than a new Yes tour.

Posted By: guillaumeh
Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 12:13
Also, Rick Wakeman's keyboard sounds on the last tour were sometimes mediocre. I've bought the Montreux 2003 DVD, and it was even worse. I hope that his son knows more than him how to setup good keyboard sounds on modern equipment.

Date Posted: March 19 2008 at 13:25

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

They have not tried it yet, so in near future it is almost sure they will ask Moraz to tour with them.

Every idea is good to make a tour without recording new material!

Well, I can certainly agree with that 100%. Sadly I don't think guys are aware that they aren't any good anymore.

Then again, they COULD release a worthy album (Which would be amazing, since Relayer is in my opinion their last truly great album) and surprise us all. If that is the case, I promise I will eat my words here on the forums. *Waits impatiently for release date*

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk